The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Should I make LBT fanfics?

PanickyPetrie14

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/dozyslumbers
I've been thinking about this for so long, and I decided to make a topic if i should make a LBT fanfic. :idea

The questions are, am I ready for it? do I have enough knowledge to make one? will I make a great fanfic? will it be appealing to the readers? will I be able to finish one? :blink:

If I will make one LBT fanfic, i'll make a LittlefootxAli fanfic since i'm a LittlefootxAli fan. :smile

I need your opinions!  :DD It will be a great thing for me whether I should make one or not. :smile

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Well, not one of us know the answer to your question...only you. You have to decide those things on your own. If you wanna start a fanfic, start a fanfic. I may not be able to tell you what to decide in your fanfic, but I can tell you this:

I can not tell you whether you are ready or not, I can not tell you if you have the knowledge or if it'll be a great fanfic or not, nor can I tell you if you'll be able to finish one. No one can...except you. You are the pilot of your own fanfic. You control what happens. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks...unless of course either they like your fic or trying to help become a better writer. :lol You are who you are...and your fic is what it is. Whatever happens happens. If you come up with an idea, don't change it. Stick with the idea and go with the flow. That's all I can tell you.

Wow...I never knew I could sound that wise. Must be from spending all that time with me Uncle Pterano. :lol
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

PanickyPetrie14

• Spike
    • View Profile
Did you just watch LBT 13?  :lol

Anyways, you're right  :DD

I'll be making one starting now. I'll also make an account in fanfiction.net so, look forward to it.  :p

;)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Of course I'm right! :p And I didn't watch LBT 13, but I did just watch one of the LBT episodes. :lol Its nice being an experienced writer. :DD
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You want an honest opinion, so here is mine: I’ve read some of your posts, and you’re an interesting person. You clearly know a lot about The Land Before Time series. Making a great fan fiction, however, is not black and white. Often times, some people will like it, and others will not. Being interesting in general doesn’t always mean someone can write an interesting story, and the same goes with knowledge of them. I am an English major at a university. I just completed my first year and made the dean’s list of excellence, and nearly every class I’ve had so far was heavily about writing. So you’d think I could really interest people, right? The fact of the matter is, my work is very boring. Very few people will say anything about stories I write. A thirteen-year-old member here, someone not even in high school, wrote a LBT fan fiction, and she has more followers than anything I’ve ever written. So even with tons of training in creative writing, structure, and grammar, for the most part, I seem to bore the forum to a large degree with my stories. And there is nothing wrong with that in the sense that people don’t choose what they like. Pleasure is involuntary. So you may create a wonderful story that many people love. However, things like knowledge and creativity can’t really be dependable factors in whether or not a story will be appealing.

If you get a fan fiction going, though, I can give one piece of advice. A lot of readers get held up with grammar errors. No one is perfect, of course, but numerous issues in a short time can take away from the flow. Let me use your post here for an example.

I've been thinking about this for so long, and I decided to make a topic if i should make a LBT fanfic.

For one thing, “I” is always capitalized. For another, your amount of words is slightly confusing. A better way of writing that is:

I've been thinking about this for so long, and I decided to make a topic to see if people think I should make a LBT fanfic.

Do you see how that sounds better?

The questions are, am I ready for it? do I have enough knowledge to make one? will I make a great fanfic? will it be appealing to the readers? will I be able to finish one?

The opening introduces a list and is a complete sentence, so it should end with a colon, not a comma. Also, each question should be capitalized. It would look like:

The questions are: Am I ready for it? Do I have enough knowledge to make one? Will I make a great fanfic? Will it be appealing to the readers? Will I be able to finish one?

If I will make one LBT fanfic, i'll make a LittlefootxAli fanfic since i'm a LittlefootxAli fan.

The “I’ll” should be capitalized as well as the “I’m.” Secondly, using “fanfic” twice so close sounds redundant. I would suggest making the second usage a “one,” but it would still be redundant because you said “one” earlier as well. So my final thought would actually be to change some things around:

If I will make one LBT fanfic, I'll make it about LittlefootxAli since I'm a LittlefootxAli fan.

In the end, I do believe that you can make a good LBT story. Just be realist and don’t make an expectation of grandeur from the public which I fell victim of doing so that you won’t be disappointed in case it isnët as good as you thought. Pay very close attention to your grammar, try to explore new areas of the LBT, and most importantly, have fun. That’s all I can say.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's a great guide for ya!  Even if it was made for Pokemon Fics in general, just changing a few key words will make it be good for pretty much ANY fanfiction out there.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=19

Though I do hate the place for reasons of my own, I do have a lot of respect for it as it did help me greatly in my early days of fanfiction writing. (Still wish I was more serious about that.)

Trust me, the guide is a great one, regardless of what you're writing it for.

PanickyPetrie14

• Spike
    • View Profile
You two really helped a lot there. Thank you very much! Those will be a starting guide for my fanfics.  :DD

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Yeah, I'd read your fanfics. Have you tried writing before?

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
If you decide to try to write one, I'd be happy to offer constructive criticism on it.

I guess all I can say is just try it, and see how it turns out.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
You don't need much to write a fanfic. As long as you have a solid idea in mind you'll find your imagination will tend to do the rest. There are hints and tips that can turn a good fanfic into a great one and it is the simple things like writing style, descriptive language, scene setting and picking out the little details around the characters as well as building the characters themselves. The beauty with writing a fanfic about a currently existing series is that the character building is essentially already done for you. You just play with the models to fit your scenario (provided the characters aren't TOO far from themselves e.g Littlefoot becomes a series killer or anything like that :p) Also, little things like spelling and punctuation really do stand out and readers will still grumble if punctuation isn't at a fair standard so don't neglect things like that.

Otherwise, there's ain't nothing to it but to do it! Give it a go and see what comes of it! And have fun doing it! The moment fanfic writing becomes a chore, you'll regret ever writing that first word.

Go for it! ;)

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Being rather experienced in fic writing (Other than LBT fics), here are my bits of advice from life experience:

1. Have your story worked out before you start writing it- On one fic I wrote, I made the mistake of pretty much making it up as I went along. The result was, tbh, pretty lousy, now that I look back on it, a mess of mary-sues and plotholes. So, before you start writing it out, take a good hard think and come up with a basic plan of the story. Then, separate it into chapters, and get writing!

2. Update regularly. With my current LBT fic, I made the mistake a while back of leaving almost a month between updates. But luckily, now that I'm on summer break until September, I really have no excuse to not update regularly. So, set yourself a deadline for when you put up your new chapter, or you'll just end up procrastinating.

3. SPaG- Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar. It can make all the difference. Good presentation shows that you're serious and dedicated to writing the fic, and earns it much more respect.

4. STAY IN CHARACTER!- Simple enough, just make sure that your characters don't do anything that they wouldn't do or say in a canon storyline. Small creative liberties are alright, as they help make the story interesting, but don't overdo it.

Other than that, just make sure that you enjoy it! Stay cool, go with it, you'll be fine.

PanickyPetrie14

• Spike
    • View Profile
3. SPaG- Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar. It can make all the difference. Good presentation shows that you're serious and dedicated to writing the fic, and earns it much more respect.

I think I need to master that one...  :DD

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Quote from: PanickyPetrie14,Jul 12 2011 on  11:53 AM

I think I need to master that one...  :DD
An easy way to make sure it's all good is to write your fic on a word processor, then run a spelling and grammar check on it and then copy-paste it on here.

PanickyPetrie14

• Spike
    • View Profile
^I am writing it on a word processor, I'll just check the spelling and grammar.  :)

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
One of the most important things to remember about writing a fanfic is sometimes overlooked by other new writers: You are writing this because you are passionate about it. Don't simply write things just to impress people or make a deadline, because everybody can tell when something is rushed. Take some time to really fine tune everything you are writing, and don't be afraid to go back and proofread everything you write. There are plenty of us here who can act as proofreaders if you need any, myself included ;)

Even more important than all of this is to have fun. If you aren't enjoying what you are writing, then I guarantee you everybody else won't enjoy it either. Also, if you, the writer, don't enjoy what you are writing, then you are simply wasting you're time. I know fanfics can be intimidating at times, but just remember that this is your story and you are in control of everything about it (beside remembering to stay in the general universe of whatever you are writing about).

I hope this helps out and I really hope you aren't discouraged from writing a fanfic. I would be most interested in reading whatever you plan on writing ;)

PanickyPetrie14

• Spike
    • View Profile
That helped, thanks.  :DD

I will take my time to fine tune everything, and make a good fanfic.  :)

PanickyPetrie14

• Spike
    • View Profile
I'm already making my very first LBT fanfic. The title is "Ali's Very Special Starday" Hope I can make this a good fanfic.  :DD

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm already making my very first LBT fanfic. The title is "Ali's Very Special Starday" Hope I can make this a good fanfic.

That sounds wonderful. Ali is my favorite canon character, and I loved The Starday Celebration. Count on me to give it a read. Judging from the plot, I assume it's a one shot?