The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

2014 FIFA World Cup

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Aww, too bad I was going out yesterday... All matches were interesting, seemingly :smile

Anyway, I'm quite surprised (but also happy) that Costa Rica made it. They deserve it. In general, I have this feeling that we will be seeing at least one unexpected team making it to the semi-finals.

I suppose Cameroon to lose against Brasil too though they managed to play 2:2 in a match against Germany two weeks ago so they can't be that bad.

Speaking of Germany, I'm fairly sure that we can beat Ghana though considering the surprising strength of some underdog teams... :p
Inactive, probably forever.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Argentina was barely, just barely better than Iran. Iran looked like a completely different team compared to its first match.

Also, Ghana being something of a party pooper for Germany.

What a battle! What a battle! Ghana fought like lions. So did Germany fight tooth and nail near the end. Even blood was spilled. Either could have won, and yet, the draw stands. Fantastic game.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^I agree! Great match and fair results :yes If USA wins we're very likely to make it into the next round. If Portugal wins... we might need to win.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just a few minutes away from the start of the USA-Portugal match.  I can't wait!

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The USA played with great enthusiasm and skill. It is a pity they didn't win.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That way it'll stay open in group G :p

Today, the final matches in group A and B will be made... though the winners of Group B are already clear :smile
I only wonder which match will be shown on Tv since they are being played simultaneously. I suppose it'll be Brazil and Holland.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Holland and Chile survived the first round. The match between them was great. They didn't show Spain, only the goals they shot.

Brazil and Mexico also entered the next stage. They switched between the two matches every few minutes so I got a good impression of both matches. Brazil-Cameroon was very interesting at first but then it became clear Brazil would win. Mexico-Croatia was very calm at first only to suddenly explode. Mexico shot like 3 goals in 10 mins.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Croatia managed to hold out for 70 minutes, and then it all fell apart. The one goal Croatia scored is of little consolance. Mexico won fair and square, and the referee was even slightly biased in Croati'as favor. Congratulations, Mexico! Good luck in the next round.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For the USA vs Portugal match, while it does stink that Portugal got that final goal in literally the final extra seconds, a tie against a team like Portugal is still impressive. The final matches for Group G on Thursday should be interesting to watch.

I only wonder which match will be shown on Tv since they are being played simultaneously.
Here in the U.S., they are broadcasted on separate channels (ESPN and ESPN2), so it's simply a matter of choosing which one you want to watch.

I chose to watch Brazil's match against Cameroon, since I'm hoping to see Brazil to win the World Cup. Their decisive win means their first match in the knockout stage will be against Chile.

I will be watching USA vs Germany on Thursday. After that, I plan on watching all of the matches of the knockout round. After all, the teams that make it that far are the best of the best, so I'm anticipating a lot of excitement in those final matches.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The only matches that seem exciting to watch today are just running while I'm not at home :anger Well, I hope the Costa Rica and Uruguay make it in group D.

EDIT: Schnappszahl post: My 3333th :smile

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Half of the groups are now finished. For the Round of 16 matches coming up, the ones that are now confirmed are Brazil vs Chile, Netherlands vs Mexico, Columbia vs Uruguay, and Costa Rica vs Greece. Quite some interesting match-ups (especially that last one). I can't wait to see how the rest of them will turn out.

- Berix

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I would have prefered Cote d'Ivoire or Japan over Greece and their brand of football, but there you have it.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Groups E and F are now finished. The resulting match-ups for the Group of 16 will be France vs Nigeria and Argentina vs Switzerland.

Only Groups G and H left to go, tomorrow. I'll definitely be watching the USA vs Germany match tomorrow to see who will be advancing from the "Group of Death".

- Berix

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The US Germany match wont mean anything id Ghana and Portugal tie. in that case both Germany and the US will advance regardless of the outcome. Portugals chances of advancing are very slim. they'd likely need to blow out Ghana and have the US lose by at least 2 goals to advance. Ghana needs a win and a US loss by 2 goals to advance. if they tie, both are knocked out and the US Germany game is for seeding purposes.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It was nice watching Nigeria yesterday. Ecuador stood up to France nicely as well.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, yesterday's matches were all good (I've seen those two as well). Let's see who's gonna make it in group G. I'm thrilled :lol:

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Great match between Germany and USA. Both made it to the next round.
The match between Russia and Algeria has been rather boring but Algeria has played well. Definitely worth an opponent in the next match. USA is going to face Belgium.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the USA-Germany game, but I am glad to see that both teams are going on to the next round.  The US is going to have quite an uphill battle against Belgium.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
And with the results of these last group matches, the last confirmed matches for the Round of 16 will be Germany vs Algeria and USA vs Belgium. I think the US has a good chance of winning this one to advance to the quarterfinals.

Anyway, I plan on watching every single match of the knockout stage. For the Round of 16, that'll be Saturday through Tuesday, two matches each day. In my time zone, that'll be the entire afternoon for each of the four days. I'm ready to set aside enough of my time to watch all of that. :)

- Berix

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Well, Chile lost by penalties against Brazil, but it was one hell of a game and Brazil (who were saying they would win 5-0 easily) were worried sick (just to say it in a friendly way) the whole match.