The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Batman v Superman

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
You all probably have your own ideas and opinions by now, so here's mine:

Most depressing superhero I have ever seen and I want my two and a half hours back. This movie is every flaw in Frank Miller and Alan Moore's writing come together in unholy matrimony and gone nuclear. Its unrelentingly bleak and needlessly so. It turns the Boy Scout into Blue into a Batman-like brooding figure and it turns Batman into a homicidal maniac and it turns Wonder Woman into... actually, she was pretty spot on, but that's it. The whole movie is stupid and only works because the characters are roughly half as intelligent as they should be. Its basically just Lex Luthor's son (that's right! They don't even give us the REAL Lex Luthor) manipulating Batman into killing Superman and it has the world's greatest detective falling for these machinations hook, line, and sinker. This film does everything it can to diminish Superman right up and including having him go down like a chump when it really counts and the film tries to make it look like he's the sole source of everyone's misery.  :bang
In all, the movie had interesting ideas, but for them to work and perhaps even be great, that would require a real director and a decent editor.

Superman should be a fun. You should never walk out of a Superman movie feeling worse than when you went in.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^Yeah, I've heard about just how terrible it is.  I'm not looking to see it anytime soon. (Or at all for that matter.)

Just as well.  I've got my weekend planned out anyways.  No need for me to waste it with a terrible movie.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Also, don't take anyone under the age of 18 to it. I don't care if its PG-13. I can guarantee no one under 18 should see this film. It is borderline. There is a sequence where Batman busts a child sex slave ring. No joke.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm, Does Angry joe's short description fit for this movie, where he basically says something like "It's just straight climax the whole time, with no foreplay at all, and you just fill empty afterwords." :p
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
He was WAY too kind to the film, but every complaint he and his friends had was accurate.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Meh, I'm not interested in seeing it.  I mean, let's face it.  Marvel's movies have almost always been kicking DC's butt in terms of quality.  DC fans will be quick to bring up The Dark Knight but that was one film and it came out in 2008.  You can only cling to past glories for so long.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
What's hilarious is that Warner Bros COULD have been the forerunners of the Cinematic Universe if they had just told Nolan "No" when he requested to keep his Batman films separated into their own little thing. This implies that they were already thinking about connecting their DC films and building up to the Justice League. With some Kevin Feige-esque leadership, they could have had their JL movie by 2009. The lesson: never give filmmakers too much control.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've no interest in seeing it.  One reason is I dislike heroes fighting each other.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Mar 29 2016 on  12:26 PM
I've no interest in seeing it.  One reason is I dislike heroes fighting each other.
Especially ones that are SUPPOSED to be role models, like Superman and Batman.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't have much to add to what others have already said, except to agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments expressed thus far.  This film was a train wreck in many ways, not the least of which being that the people who wrote it obviously had little appreciation or understanding of the characters they were trying to describe.  Worse yet, there are entire scenes that just seem to end or go nowhere, which interrupts the entire flow of the narrative.  And then the whole ending, which I can paraphrase thusly: "What your mother is named that too?  Oh well, let's ignore the last two hours of this film, now we are best friends forever!"  

Though this film has already made a huge profit at the box office I most certainly would not put it on my 'Must See' list.

Edit: Never mind about the whole 'making a profit' idea, it now appears that the film has suffered one of the worst one-week drops offs in recent memory and it would have to make 900 million dollars to even break even counting marketing and other costs.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
With any luck, that means Snyder will suddenly come down with a case of "scheduling conflicts" and The Justice League film will end up in the hands of a better director.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm still looking forward to Civil War.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
The movie where the heroes actually have a legit reason to be at each other's throats? Me, too.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Mar 29 2016 on  11:26 AM
Very true.  

I have no personal interest on Civil War, for much the same reason.  

Suicide Squad I may have an interest in.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have to disagree on the topic of Civil War. While I have misgivings about it, at least, I think that one looks like it may be good as long as they don't let it get too dark. But yes, I agree that the heroes should not be fighting each other. I mostly go to superhero movies to have fun.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No biggie.  Just my opinion. I know others will love Superman vs Batman and Civil war.  one great thing about having such a variety of genres and movies.  Some you'll like, some you will not, but others will.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Absolutely.

The only thing that's keeping me looking forward to Civil War, by the way, is its star, Captain America. I've become a big fan of the character and I love how he goes against every preconceived expectation about him and really adds depth to the Boy Scout archetype. I'm more looking forward Doctor Strange, also coming out later this year.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Someone uploaded this really adorable Batman VS Superman parody using kittens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2cxjWwu664

MF217

• 밀레 시안
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://mf217.deviantart.com/
Personally I had wished we got no less than three films before we got this movie and then Justice League afterwards. Kind of like this:

*Superman film.
*Batman film.
*Wonder Woman film.
*Batman V Superman.
*Justice League.

Would that have been so hard to do? No. Not it would not. The first three films would give us all introductions to the three superheroes used in Batman V Superman all the while providing necessary buildup towards anybody else who'll be prominent in Justice League.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code:
Marty
3695-0507-9451
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:
MF217
SW-2833-1633-8314
Note: PM me before asking for any meetings on various games for the 3DS or Switch please.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: MightyFan217,Apr 19 2016 on  10:54 AM
Personally I had wished we got no less than three films before we got this movie and then Justice League afterwards. Kind of like this:

*Superman film.
*Batman film.
*Wonder Woman film.
*Batman V Superman.
*Justice League.

Would that have been so hard to do? No. Not it would not. The first three films would give us all introductions to the three superheroes used in Batman V Superman all the while providing necessary buildup towards anybody else who'll be prominent in Justice League.
Like I said before, Marvel had the right idea.  DC doesn't know what they're doing.