The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

After the Storm

Pterano · 44 · 9568

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
we can  go to my apartment, it will be just the 3 of us ' Zula said, my girlfriend Mukua is likely still at the tennis club, giving private lessons to a few of the students.  sher and i spend long stretches at the club, 14-16 hour days are common before tennis tournaments. Anyway, you lot like dont care much about what i do,  you just want a place to crash.. My apartment is two blocks down, its the tall white building to the right.  my apartment is on the 3rd floor.  its pretty nice, has a good view of the beach from the main window, large tv and fridge. if you guys are hungry, we just went shopping for food yesterday. so we have loads of stuff. ' Zula said '  keeping croached down as gunfire continued inside the bar.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Tony dashed to his massive car now, which fortunately was a right-side driver, making it easy to get in on this side. As he slid behind the maroon wheel, he pushed the started button and grit his teeth. "Come you sonofabitch, come on you sonofabitch, comeonyousonofabitch!" he rapidly urged, exhaling when the pristine straight-eight came to life. "Yes! Thank you!" he praised the Daimler. Releasing the parking brake, he pre-selected 1st gear, pressed the shift pedal in, and got the machine rolling, pre-selecting 2nd almost immediately with the lever on the side of the steering wheel and soon shifting into that next. As he spun the big car around the lot, he headed around behind the SUVs, most of which weren't manned now due to the goons entering the bar.

As the mammoth silver and maroon car coasted into view of Emilena and Zula, the ferret waved to them. "Hurry up!" he called, slowing down as he pre-selected 3rd gear, but didn't shift, as the car could easily slow roll in 2nd. This would be for later when they needed to take off. The car could comfortably sit five with its large seats, so space wasn't an issue. Once they were inside, he was ready to tear out of there like a bat out of hell.

In the bar, the agent suddenly let loose with a small grenade, letting it obliterate the first three goons to enter, and he used the cover to start to exit, firing as he did so. Seeing the big car with Tony in it, he figured he may as well stick with the guy and explain what happened... but first he had to escape...

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Tell your girlfriend to stay where she is if she's not home," Emilena advised. "Trouble tends to follow us, and she'll be safer staying away." She glanced at the lioness. "In fact, if you want to just cut and run, this is the time to do it. I won't tell anybody, and it's honestly the right call." She took a deep breath. "The people who hang around me and Tony don't have the greatest survival rates."

As if on cue, Tony pulled up in his massive convertible and Emilena sprinted across the parking lot for it. The car hadn't looked that large when she'd only seen it an angle from the far side of the bar, but now she couldn't believe people in the 1940s used to drive vehicles this big. Speaking of the car's old-fashioned construction... "We don't have to worry about this car breaking down or exploding if the bad guys shoot it, do we?" she asked Tony, vaulting over the door without bothering to open it. She ducked down under the seat, not wanting to risk keeping her head in the enemy line of fire.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:13:14 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
not  a chance '  zula said rushing over and climbing into the back seat with a hurdle that would have done credit to a hurdle jumper at a state meet. 'you'd better get going ' she said too tony " Head straight. then turn to the right . my apartment has a private car garage. i'll let us in with the entry key and you can park wherever you like. I'll explain to Mukua that you are guests, we have friends over pretty regularly,  so she wont care. I think she likes playing hostess' She chuckled. ' so you guys can grab some drink and food while you plan your next move. Eat what you like' She said to Tony.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Not gonna happen!" Tony replied to Emilena, whipping the car around so that it was pointing straight down the street. Pushing the accelerator down, he floored it, moving the big car forward at a good clip as he finally shifted into 3rd. Rocketing down the street, he could see the apartment. "At least it's an enclosed garage..." but before he could finish, the bar erupted in a fiery explosion behind them, causing Tony's eyes to widen as he looked in the rearview mirror. "Goddamn! What the hell happened back there?" he asked, gulping as he turned the Daimler into the garage's opening, having previously downshifted to 2nd to do so.

"Back there", Agent Dartmouth had placed a plastic-explosive, blowing most of the bar to hell as he escaped in the utter chaos, most of his opponents now dead. Having run into the street and taken cover behind a dumpster, he peered from behind it and saw the big and very conspicuous car pulling into a garage two blocks away... perfect... easy enough! He'd find them... and then he could explain things.

As Tony rolled through the garage, he picked a spot well clear of other cars, and gingerly nursed the big boat into a spot, doubting he completely fit, but not caring at this point. Shutting it off, he exhaled. "Hoo! Glad I saved this one! It's irreplaceable, essentially." he said, opening the door to allow the others out. "So.. lead the way." he said, climbing out now and holding the door open for them.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
foollow me ' zula said opening a stairwell that lead up to the main apartment building. after a couple flights she opened the door to the third floor, amnd held it open for Tony and Emilena before  closing.   this floor was almost maze like and there were no direction placards on the ewall to show where each apartment was. Zula went left, then right, then right again, then 3 straight lefts, 2 rights, a left and then four more rights, before finally stoping in front of a door at the end of a curve in the  hallway. she opened the door with a ket, and revealed a room,  that was well organized and kept neat. a decent sized tv screen hung in the wall. the only sign that thee as any clutter was a bag with 3 tennis rackets sticking out of it, as a uniform that said 'coach' Mukua' on it, that covered the racquets. " just make yourselves at home guys ' Zula said ' can i get you anything to drink ? wine? beer? Soda? theres snacks in the cabinet over there, either crackers, raisins or granola .' She said.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena's ears perked in alarm when the bar exploded; she could hear it even from her position on the floor of the car. Thank god everyone had enough time to evacuate...who the hell were those guys?

She crawled out of the car and followed Zula to her apartment, which was nicely upper-middle class. Emilena realized she'd never lived in a place like this; overnight she'd gone from the fringes of society to the 1%.  "Thanks for offering to let us stay," she mentioned to Zula, pouring herself a glass of water from the sink. "Let me know what this is costing, I can financially compensate--" She suddenly realized that she'd left her credit card on the counter of the bar. "--Uh, let's discuss that later. Tony, are you okay?" She brought him a glass too. "Let me see your neck. How is the injection point feeling? Are you experiencing any unusual symptoms?"
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:24:04 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
dont worry about ppaying. Guestsare guests. this isnt like a club where you have to pay to get in ' Zula said, as she went over to the fridge ' a note on the top freezer door ws from Mukua she would be home at 6:30 " well  you guys will get to meet mukua, she'll be home in a few minutes' Zula said. ' hope you guys like Italian, shes bringing home fettuccine alfredo  and batch of those giant breadsticks 'Taste of Italy' makes. they're delicious and very filling. ' Zula smiled, pulling out her cellphone and dialing a number ' hi Mukua, its me. are you headed to taste of italy? we have guests over right now, and we will likely need an extra order of noddles and breadsticks.. " of course" came the reply ' I'm heading there now. i'll be home in 15 minutes at the latest. just show them around, and have them sit wherever they like. let them watch whatever they want on TV, that sort f thing. you can  make introductions once i get home see you in a bit." zula hang up and turned to emilena. ' just follow me. we've got 10 rooms in this apartment' main bedroom, and a pair of guest bedrooms.  2 bathrooms. tv room. storage closet, and laundry room. '
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
When Tony seemed to be doing okay, Emilena handed him his water and turned to Zula. "Sure, let's check the place out." She didn't mention she was mostly examining its durability in case of an attack.

The guest quarters were small but well-furnished, one for her and one for Tony. Emilena nodded approvingly as Zula showed her the various rooms. "How do you afford an apartment this large on a tennis coach's salary?" she asked, surreptitiously feeling the walls. They were insulated wood, not much protection if bullets started flying. Bullets... she realized her firearms were back at her apartment, which was almost certainly being watched by now. 

The television was on; it was an empty channel, but it reminded her of seeing Broadstreet on the screen at the bar. "Um, Zula, could I borrow a phone?" she asked. Whatever that agent had injected Tony with, she suspected the forces chasing it weren't going to let it slip through their fingers. If the government was involved, she couldn't trust her bank account or what few contacts she'd kept in touch with since entering the public spotlight. I need someone who will loan me a gun. And nobody would expect me to contact a police chief I haven't met in years...hopefully.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:03:51 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sure ' Zula said digging out a phone from her purse and handing it to Emilena. ' Just remember to give it back once you are done.' she smirked.' as for how do I afford this/ The combined income from mukua and my jobs. Plus we also teach privately"
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
(OOC: I posted a character sheet for Storch in the Master List. He’s going to be my other character, a secondary recurring villain.)

On the other side of town, a grizzled bat flew through the darkness with one eye open. Well...one eye open most of the time. To be honest, it was so dark at this point that he was navigating mostly via muscle memory than by tracking any of the fleeting lit windows or neon signs down below.

A buzz in his pocket roused him from his semi-conscious flight. Murmuring wearily, he fished his smartphone out of his pocket just long enough to activate text-to-speech, hitting a thermal so he could compensate for the loss in height from temporarily occupying a wing. “Phone, read the message.”

It cheerfully chirped the name of the sender: his ex-wife. “DID YOU DO YOUR WHATEVER?

“Tell her yes,” Storch wheezed. He always lost his breath by the middle of this particular flight; he couldn’t stop in bars or hostels immediately after a hit, nor could he trust public transportation to deliver him to the outskirts of the city. Combined, that led to a long and thoroughly unpleasant journey into the mountains.

The phone buzzed from a new message. “WERE YOU PAID?

“Yes…” Storch gritted his teeth as a flush of cold air chilled him to the bone. His body didn’t hold up like it used to.

HOW MUCH?

He did some mental math. 40,000 credits for the banker, and 10,000 for his lawyer… “Tell her: '30 thousand credits. How much do you need?'”

I’D LIKE ALL OF IT, IF POSSIBLE. JOEY’S GOT A COUGH, AND SKYLER REALLY WANTS TO GO TO SPACE CAMP. PLUS MY FOOD STAMPS WERE DENIED.

Storch sighed. He’d already warned her that would happen if she didn’t get a job. “Space camp, huh?... Tell her I’ll send 40k.”

She didn’t reply again. Storch gratefully saw his cabin up ahead and landed none-too-gently on his second-floor balcony. Limping gingerly through the only entrance that wasn’t booby-trapped, Storch quickly grabbed a matchbox from the kitchen and lit the living room fireplace before collapsing with a weak shudder into an armchair. It would take hours for the flames to warm the room, but just being sheltered from the chill mountain air was enough for now.

He almost fell asleep right then and there, but his combat harness was cutting into his joints. Wincing gruffly, he forced himself to stand and remove his flight uniform despite the draft. Goosebumps quickly covered his skin, his thin greying fur doing little these days to insulate him. He cast a disgruntled look at his feeble hearth; it was supposedly a mechanical fireplace and he’d love to see instant full-power flames like in the commercials, yet he could never get the darn thing to work. “Well, a cold night never killed me before…” he grunted to his sniper rifle, laying it on the drawing table. Tomorrow they’d go hunting for small wildlife to eat, but for tonight he only wanted to sleep.

He was halfway to the bedroom when his phone buzzed repeatedly. His brow furrowed; only his most trusted, highest-paying clients got three buzzes. Sighing and rubbing his eyes, he checked the text.

He recognized the contractors; he’d worked for them in the past. He also recognized the targets; a handsome ferret and heavily-scarred vixen he’d seen on the television a lot. And finally he recognized just how many zeroes were in the bounty. “Jesus almighty…” he breathed, double-checking the details. “With exclusivity?” His hands shook as he almost dropped the phone. “What in the hell did these two do?”

He glanced at the inky blackness outside his windows and sighed. Looks like he would be going hunting tomorrow...but not for food.

-------------------------------------

Emilena took a deep breath. Maybe he'll have changed his phone number...he likely switched providers after Lanthae was destroyed. She couldn't decide if she hoped he'd answer or not. She'd changed so much since they last spoke; there may be nothing left of the upstart junior officer he'd always known. Would he be proud of what she'd become? Would he have seen her face splayed across the worldwide news?

She took a deep breath and dialed the numbers. The call went through...though she could only wonder if it was connecting to her intended recipient. "Rucker? If it's you...this is former Officer Echo."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:05:19 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Echo? my my , this a surprise. Whats the occasion?' Rucker Broadstreet had developed a reputation over his long career of being scrupulously honest, any cops that were crooked , got summarily walked out of police HQ. " dont tell me that you are in trouble again. you always were in trouble of one kind or another when you were on my force. "
_ the door to the apartment opened, and mukua entered, slowly staggering under a large bag full of  takeover from the restaurant. Hope everyone likes mac and cheese and fettuccine alfredo ' she said softly as she set the food down on the kitchen table. the portions of food were enormous , easily enough to fed a decent sized family, or party. " Help yourselves"
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena's breath caught in her throat; she hadn't heard her old boss in years, and she found herself regressing back into a junior officer as his commanding voice set the tone of the conversation. "Goddamn, you sound like you haven't aged a day. I don't know how you do it..."

She gave Murkua a polite wave before moving to a private room. "I don't know if you've been following the news at all, Rucker, but life's gotten a bit more complicated for me since we last spoke..." she sighed. "Jesus, I don't think I could even begin to explain everything that's happened to me. But yes, I am in trouble and I could use your help." Her voice cracked. "I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and now someone wants me dead. Someone connected, I've lost access to my bank account and my property. I'm not asking for police protection, but I could really use a gun. Any gun will do, you know I'm trained with all standard-issue police sidearms." A remote possibility suddenly sparked in her mind, and she couldn't help but add, "That being said...you wouldn't happen to have my old assigned pistol, would you? Serial number XCCFRM G17?"

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
G17 Glock. 15 rounds 9mm.' Broadstreet said  " yes i still have it. Its stored in the discipline wing of the police building. all the officers who we  fire, we take and keep their weapons on display. we never officially fired you, you know, technically you are still on the force, just under probation, which by the by has long since expired. so, if you want to officially be reinstated, you just need to fill out a couple forms and we'd get you a fresh uniform, Echo. you also have a large number of payments headed your way, as your probation didnt affect your pay. let me pull out  a calculator here.. hmm. you have 2 years of back pay.. at your old salary of 20 an hour, that 800 a week,  3200 a month 38400 a year, 76800 total. basically 77 grand'. Broadstreet said. "so how do you want it? creds card or check?"
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena dropped the phone in shock. Not only did they still have her personal gun, but they were also ready to take her back at a moment's notice? She could be a police officer again?

Her mind alit with the possibilities of settling back into the law and order she'd always known. Of redeeming herself for her sordid past. But then reality caught up with her; as much as she wanted to, she couldn't sweep all her crimes under the rug. While she wanted desperately to pick the phone up and agree wholeheartedly, Broadstreet deserved the whole story. She wouldn't begin her second stint as a lawkeeper while hiding a walk-in closet full of skeletons.

"Chief," she started, scrambling to return the phone to her ear, "I'm...honored to hear you'd consider taking me back. And even that you'd treat it as if I'd never left. But I've been AWOL for two years, and I've committed so many crimes...I've peddled millions of credits worth of illegal substances. I've killed people. I've stolen vehicles, disrupted foreign governments, I even maintained a longterm sexual relationship with what turned out to be my biological brother." Her cheeks reddened. "Now, I have received a presidential pardon for all those things, so technically they no longer apply. But you have a right to know before letting me re-enlist. My moral compass didn't turn out as strong as I always thought it was."

She remembered he'd mentioned something about probation payments. "If you still want to give me that backpay, I'll need it as a creds card since I can't access my bank account. It'll help keep me and Tony alive as we sort this business out. And if I survive this, I'd love to come back to work...if your offer is still on the table."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:42:42 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Broadstreet listened to her story and sighed ' let me get this straight. you were on probation then we lost track of you, and in that period you did a whole bunch of sordid and unethical crap?  you sure have a lot of skeleton s in your closet, dont you Echo ? and I'm not even going to touch your relationship with your brother. Still, an offer is an offer. get this matter settled with Stracci, consider this the penance for the illegal crap you've pulled over the past 2 years. , now according to this file , you got a full pardon for those transgressions, so legally speaking, you're clean. But theres a big difference between innocence based on deed and innocence based on technicality. i do not want  any further nonsense involving you echo, am I clear? i run a clean ship here,  or at least strive to keep it clean. i do the best I can with what I have.  I will be sending you a package  in the next few hours. it will contain a few things you will find useful, besides, of course the money. your contact on this case is a young lion named Struphorn. been on the force just over a year. rather headstrong but his loyalty cannot be questioned. excellent with a gun, in fact he won the office target accuracy challenge with a score of 7, 560 points with 45 perfect targets hit. you re to arrange a meet with him at the earliest possibility.  am i clear, Officer Echo?' Broadstreet said firmly"
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"He scored a 7?" Emilena nodded approvingly. She'd never scored better than a 4, though she'd always been one of the lower-ranked officers when it came to firearm accuracy. "I understand and agree with everything you say, chief; I'll be squeaky-clean from here on out." She wasn't sure she'd be able to live up to that promise, but that was a problem for a later date. "I really appreciate your help here. And if I survive this, I'll prove your trust was in the right place." She hesitated before hanging up. "It's...good to hear your voice again, Rucker. I hope you're doing well."

She returned to the kitchen and gave Zula her phone back. "Thanks again. And nice to meet you, Mukua. My name is Emilena." She grabbed a bowl from the cupboard and spooned herself some fettuccini alfredo. "We hope it's not too much trouble to house a pair of strangers at such short notice."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 01:03:21 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
It was a cold summer evening in the parking lot outside the post office. This late, there were few pedestrians; a couple walking their dog, a city worker blowing leaves off the sidewalk, and an old woman feeding pidgeons on the neaby park bench.

Emilena knew the old woman was the least likely of the assorted civilians to be an assassin, but she couldn't stop staring at her. That's what I look like...  she thought to herself. That's how everyone sees me. Withered and gray, with a limp in my walk.

She gulped. Well, at least I'm still capable of walking to the post office without falling and breaking my hip. Taking a deep breath, she finally waddled out of Zula's car and approached the postal building, heart hammering behind her summer blouse and the sunglasses Zula had loaned her.

She was dismayed to notice the inside was a bit more populated than the exterior; outside of the clerk, several different men were standing in line to mail packages, open safety-deposit boxes, or purchase stamps.

"Hiya!" grinned the clerk, a freckled young woman with bright green hair. "Name?"

"Last name Echo." Emilena tried to look nonchalant; she wished she could have persuaded Broadstreet to mail her package to an alias. She noticed the man buying stamps glance over; what was he interested in? What was he hiding?

"Here you, Ma'am!" The clerk had barely handed over the box before Emilena was scrambling for the door as quickly as her withered legs could carry her.

Five minutes later, she collapsed back into the passenger seat of Zula's car. "We...did it," she gasped. "Nobody attacked me." She clutched it to her chest. "You were right...I think I'm letting my paranoia get away from me."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 07:34:01 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
" just because you are paranoid, doesnt mean you are not sometimes right to be paranoid ' Zula said as she picked away from her parking space. ' So what is in the package ' Zula asked as she headed out on to the street. ' must be pretty important to get youoff of the coach and away from the television ' Zula chuckled. ' Emilenma hhad been more or less a renter of a room in her apartment for several weeks.  It wasnt until after Emilena paid them some 'rent" that Zuka and her girlfriend had realized something : Emilena was LOADED. Thanks to Emilena, Zula and her girlfrend Mukua had made improvements to the apartment, including a bigger TV, a a more modern refrigerator that held more food, and better lighting.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena sliced open the packaging tape with her claw and peeled aside the bubble wrap. "There you are..." Her gaze was immediately drawn to the black stubby pistol nestled snuggly on top. Even with the barest glance she could tell it was hers, despite Broadstreet having clearly polished and buffed it in preparation. As she wrapped her fingers around its handle and rested her thumb on the safety, she felt like she'd suddenly grown ten years younger.

Underneath the pistol was several spare magazines and credit chips; Emilena didn't check the chips' monetary value but dropped half of them in the car's cupholder for Zula. Last but not least, she unfolded the stiffy-pressed uniform and held it up to the light. "Wow, it looks..." her face fell. It looked perfect...too perfect. "I can't wear this," she admitted, dropping it back into the box. "It's a field uniform. Like an officer would wear while on-duty. But I could never pass for that now, looking like I do. Nobody would believe an ancient hag could arrest anybody."

She quickly removed her sunglasses, hoping against hope the attire looked better in full light, but it only reaffirmed how innaporporiate the dashing uniform would look on a withered body like hers. Fighting to keep her shame from showing on her face, she quickly shut the box and tried to recapture that fleeting comfort from having reclaimed her favorite gun.

-------------------------

From a skyscraper roof, Storch kept the target right in his crosshairs. He had the perfect shot; but something made him hold his fire. The target had just removed her sunglasses, giving him the barest glace of her silvery hair and wrinkled face. That can't possibly be her...can it?

He checked the profile picture on the bounty:

This mugshot was from last year? He had one more second to review his target; he recognized the high cheek bones, yellow eyes...but almost nothing else. Did she get plastic surgery to look old? Is that how she dropped off the radar so effectively?

The opportunity for a clean headshot passed. Sighing, he twisted his rifle's chamberbolt to swap his ammo type and sniped the car's back bumper. A miniscule tracker embedded into the chassis with an imperceptible piff. He needed more information, and the first step would be casing wherever she's currently living.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 06:22:55 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »