The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Tomorrow will be the start of the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup in France. Like last time, there are 24 teams competing, though four of them are in the World Cup for the first time ever. But of course, I'm hoping to see defending champion team USA to win again this year (even though they now have the most championships of all teams at three, there's nothing wrong with seeing them go further and get a fourth win).

I don't have much time these days for long posts, so I'll probably just mention the results of each game every few days. Once the group stage is over and the knockout stage gets started, I'll start getting more detailed about the results. As for which matches I'l actually watch, I'll probably see in the group stage only the three that team USA plays, and depending on how much time I have available, I'd like to see most of the knockout round matches.

Anyone else here interested in watching any of this?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i'll be watching the whole thing. i'll post the scores after each game and what each score means.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
France blows out South Korea 4-0. yes its only 1 game, but basically France served notice it is the class of its group.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks for being willing to take the time to mention and briefly explain the results of every game, Nick. As much as I'd like to do it myself, I just can't set aside enough time these days to watch most of these matches, let alone post about them here (certainly not to the extent that I did for the men's World Cup last year).

- Berix

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
no problem chronicler.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Spain rallies to defeat South Africa, by scoring 3 times in the final 20 minutes, twice on penalty kicks. final score was 3-1. all is not lost for south Africa, as  some of the third place finishers in the groups will advance to the 16 team knockout stage.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Norway crushes Nigeria 3-0, when Germany rather surprisingly only beats china 1-0. still a win is better than a tie and much better than a loss. unless both teams lose their final 2 games , they should advance out of group play.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Italy scores on literally the final play of the game to defeat Australia 2-1.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Brazil routs Jamaica 3-0 on a hat trick from Christiane.  You can pencil Brazil in to the knockout round.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
England hangs on to defeat Scotland 2-1.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I managed to find myself forced to wait a while with nothing to do at around noon today, so I was able to take the opportunity to watch the match between England and Scotland. It was certainly fun to watch. (I also find it interesting that this is the first Women's World Cup ever for Scotland, and quite ironically, their very first match happened to be against longtime rival England.)

- Berix

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
yeah Scotland is one of 4 new teams ion the tournament this year.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Argentina and Japan, fight to a scoreless draw. both teams get 1 point, and it makes the next 2 games for each more important. ties arent as bad as losses, but it puts you behind in the race to win the group. remember  4 3rd place teams will advance out of group play. along with all 6 group winners and all 6 second place finishers.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Canada hangs on to beat Cameroon 1-0. there hasnt been too much scoring in this world cup so far.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
US absolutely wallops Thailand 13-0.  Alex Morgan had 5 goals by herself, and the US scored 10 times in the second half, turning a 3-0 halftime lead into a 13-0 laugher.  basically the US has clinched advancement almost regardless of how they do in the final 2 games, due to the 13 goals scored.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 05:05:02 PM by Nick22 »
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In other WC games today
 Netherlands scored in the last minute to avoid a 0-0 tie with new Zealand. Netherlands wins 1-0 to get the full 3 points.
 Sweden scored twice in the final 15 minutes, including a 94th minute sealer, to beat Chile 2-0.

Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
the 13 goals scored by the Us  shatter the WWC record for goals in a game. Germany had held the record, scoring 11 in a 11-0 rout of Argentina in 2007.  I'm thinking this record will stand for awhile.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, that USA vs Thailand match... now that's what I call an epic blowout. That result was more than double even the most optimistic predictions for this match. If anyone thought the US would go easy on a weak team like Thailand, they thought horribly wrong. This just goes to show that the defending champions are definitely here to win it all.

Their next opponent will be Chile on Sunday, and while I doubt it'll be anywhere nearly as overwhelming as today's match was, I'm expecting another easy win for the US.

- Berix

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
exactly. 3-0, 4-0,  something in that range.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, seeing no immediate updates from Nick, I guess I'll just mention that, with today's results, France and Germany are definitely going to advance to the knockout stage, so their third group stage matches next week will determine where they will end up on the bracket.

- Berix