The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Animation Errors

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I've continued to slowly make my way through the VII updated version. I've found quite a few scenes where the sound doesn't quite match up with the animation which is a bit weird. I noticed as well in the scene where Littlefoot talks to his grandparents about Pterano the animation is changed. They use Grandma's animation for the line "Oh my goodness! Here, in the Great Valley?" twice which makes her look like she's saying Grandpa's line in the previous shot... but in the original there was a different shot where it matched up with him talking. As shown below:

https://vimeo.com/632226702

Now then, you've seen eyeless Grandma...

How about eyeless Pterano?  :PteranoPlotting

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Note to myself:
Never read again this topic before going to bed...
O_o

---------

but srsl

logic.exe has stopped working...
I stopped to understand anything. Creators, how can you mess up so badly in so many scenes?

6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Sapphirre98

• Nonbinary they/them
  • Ruby
  • I believe in Dekker supremecy
    • View Profile
That change with grandpa's animation is incredibly bizarre. I wonder if it was done intentionally or if someone just wasn't paying attention? hard to say. Eyeless Pterano is terrible, thank you very much.  :PteranoPlotting

If you find any more eyeless lads please post them. I want a collection. :bestsharptooth
If we hold on together... no, seriously. Grab my tail.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Eyeless Pterano is terrible, thank you very much.  :PteranoPlotting

You're welcome.  :taunttroll

Also yeah if I do find any more eyeless peeps you know I'll post them here. So, uh, if you're about to go to bed and you see this topic come up with my name on it... maybe don't click.  :p

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile

Sapphirre98

• Nonbinary they/them
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
Actually the more that i think about it, the more i suspect that the eyeless thing is actually a layering issue. :thinking The eye(s) are probably still there, just on the layer underneath. It's pretty obvious that's what happened with that one shot of Spike floating way above where he should be.

Hammy

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I've continued to slowly make my way through the VII updated version. I've found quite a few scenes where the sound doesn't quite match up with the animation which is a bit weird. I noticed as well in the scene where Littlefoot talks to his grandparents about Pterano the animation is changed. They use Grandma's animation for the line "Oh my goodness! Here, in the Great Valley?" twice which makes her look like she's saying Grandpa's line in the previous shot... but in the original there was a different shot where it matched up with him talking. As shown below:

More and more, I have to wonder what in God's name happened with the Stone of Cold Fire HD remaster. How do you mess that up? What was so wrong about the shot of Grandpa talking that it was edited out so that Grandma appears to speak both lines? Did anyone watch this over before it was released?

It's not quite as egregious as taking an asteroid that's specifically said to be blue and turning it entirely yellow, but it just makes me wonder more and more what happened behind the scenes. It didn't seem like most of the other movies got this kind of odd treatment. The big ones that have been edited over time seem to be IV and VII. It's a little baffling.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I have now decided I am not going to purchase the Stone of Cold Fire remaster.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Honestly, how do most of these happen?  :PLoofah

Spotted another error they made in the Stone of Cold Fire update. Grandpa's belly is invisible as he walks into the shot. This wasn't present in the original print, as shown below.

They actually made VII worse with the update.  :SharptoothAmused I'm gonna have to sit down and go through this with a fine-tooth comb now, see if there's any other errors they put in.  :lol
Just noticed another error in that same shot. The Ankylosaur's club tail is slightly transparent too.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile

More and more, I have to wonder what in God's name happened with the Stone of Cold Fire HD remaster. How do you mess that up? What was so wrong about the shot of Grandpa talking that it was edited out so that Grandma appears to speak both lines? Did anyone watch this over before it was released?

It's not quite as egregious as taking an asteroid that's specifically said to be blue and turning it entirely yellow, but it just makes me wonder more and more what happened behind the scenes. It didn't seem like most of the other movies got this kind of odd treatment. The big ones that have been edited over time seem to be IV and VII. It's a little baffling.
I haven't watched VII in a long time. I have it on VHS only, and all of the VHS players that I have access to are out of commission, sadly.

Something tells me the production crew was on a tight schedule for those films when it came to the animation phase. You don't leave all of those errors lying around just for the heck of it. If so, it's understandable, considering the sequels were on a yearly schedule. That said, I noticed there was a break in the annual schedule between VI (released in 1998) and VII (released in 2000). That could be another explanation behind the animation quality of the latter.

Hammy

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I haven't watched VII in a long time. I have it on VHS only, and all of the VHS players that I have access to are out of commission, sadly.

Something tells me the production crew was on a tight schedule for those films when it came to the animation phase. You don't leave all of those errors lying around just for the heck of it. If so, it's understandable, considering the sequels were on a yearly schedule. That said, I noticed there was a break in the annual schedule between VI (released in 1998) and VII (released in 2000). That could be another explanation behind the animation quality of the latter.
Not referring to original production crew at all, no. They did not make these errors, as they weren't in the original print, or any print until this remaster, and they did a very good job under the time constraints at hand. What's confusing to me is the remaster job, and yeah, if there was a tight schedule, I'm sure it wasn't easy, but it's bizarre to me that an error like making the meteorite yellow or editing the aforementioned scene so that Grandma's animation plays twice seem like they would take more effort to make than to not make. It's just strange and I'm curious how and why that happened. The layering errors, those I can understand much more, but really ought to have been caught in a watchover, and again, weren't present in the original.

It's especially upsetting to me because, if a Blu-ray release were to happen (very unlikely at this point), this is probably what we'd get, and that just sucks. This is what we're getting on streaming now, and that sucks. Kids and fans now are gonna see these errors where they wouldn't have before. I really love VII, and it hurts me a bit that Universal or whoever they had working on the remaster, were so seemingly careless with altering it. It's really not that big of a deal ultimately, I know, but it's a film I care about a lot, for all its faults.

Little Bro

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I have now decided I am not going to purchase the Stone of Cold Fire remaster.
Smart choice :PLoofah
Really, why are they remastering an old kids show when the people you have working on it don't care about the end result? They need to remaster the remaster. It needs reremastered.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 03:54:24 PM by Little Bro »
Go Chomper!

Sapphirre98

• Nonbinary they/them
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
It's especially upsetting to me because, if a Blu-ray release were to happen (very unlikely at this point), this is probably what we'd get, and that just sucks.
Agreed that it's unlikely we'd get a blue ray release. Though even so, any future dvd releases are likely going to have the remaster instead of the original print, which also sucks really bad.

You know what really grinds my gears with all the issues the reprint introduced to the movie though? This reprint presented the opportunity to FIX errors. This movie had tons and tons of errors present in the original print - a fair bit more than you'd generally see in a land before time movie, at least as far as i've noticed - and reprinting would have given them the opportunity to fix some of those. Recoloring Grandpa and Grandma longneck to be on-model, for example. But they not only chose not to do any of that, but they were also so careless that they INTRODUCED a ton more errors on top of the existing ones. AND this is the print we're likely to see in any future physical releases. What really dumps salt in the wounds is the fact that they demonstrated that they were very capable of making edits to the movie by doing so - in the most nonsensical way possible that messes with the plot of the film. Yellow stone of cold fire, you've gotta be joking.

And yeah, it's probably all because this is a low budget low caliber kids movie that few people care about and it's being treated as such. But it upsets me a lot because I also care a lot about this movie for all its faults and problems. We could have had a nice updated fully HD better version of the movie, but instead we got this. How depressing.

Also

That said, I noticed there was a break in the annual schedule between VI (released in 1998) and VII (released in 2000). That could be another explanation behind the animation quality of the latter.

I believe what happened was the switch from traditional methods of inking and painting to digital. Wang Studios likely had some trouble getting used to the switch, and combining that with the tight production schedules that these movies no doubt had you get Stone of Cold Fire's animation quality.

I like to lovingly poke fun of 7's animation quality, particularly the fact that many characters are off-model so much that with that movie alone to go off of you'd probably have no idea what "on-model" looks like. Pterano is a good example, since he never appears elsewhere. He's quite chubby in one shot, and quite skinny in the next. No way to be sure which he's actually supposed to be, unless ref sheets were to be leaked at some point which would be very cool. Gimme the forbidden Pterano charts  :PteranoPlotting

Hammy

• Chomper
    • View Profile
It's especially upsetting to me because, if a Blu-ray release were to happen (very unlikely at this point), this is probably what we'd get, and that just sucks.
Agreed that it's unlikely we'd get a blue ray release. Though even so, any future dvd releases are likely going to have the remaster instead of the original print, which also sucks really bad.

You know what really grinds my gears with all the issues the reprint introduced to the movie though? This reprint presented the opportunity to FIX errors. This movie had tons and tons of errors present in the original print - a fair bit more than you'd generally see in a land before time movie, at least as far as i've noticed - and reprinting would have given them the opportunity to fix some of those. Recoloring Grandpa and Grandma longneck to be on-model, for example. But they not only chose not to do any of that, but they were also so careless that they INTRODUCED a ton more errors on top of the existing ones. AND this is the print we're likely to see in any future physical releases. What really dumps salt in the wounds is the fact that they demonstrated that they were very capable of making edits to the movie by doing so - in the most nonsensical way possible that messes with the plot of the film. Yellow stone of cold fire, you've gotta be joking.
No, no, character miscolors, those can stay, we don't care about those. Instead, we care about recoloring some dinos' legs in the shot of Pterano sneaking around after Beyond the Mysterious Beyond, thus destroying the clearly intended darker lighting. We care about redoing the animation on the rock that the gang rides up to Threehorn Peak, because so much was wrong with that. We care about directly. We care about making the stone bright friggin' yellow, directly contradicting dialogue and making it harder to believe that no one but Littlefoot noticed it.

Sarcasm aside, it's all rather puzzling. It almost strikes me as someone, somewhere had a weird, half-baked vision that resulted in a weird, half-baked remaster. So many instances where just not updating anything would have been preferable.

Sapphirre98

• Nonbinary they/them
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
Unrelated to the remaster, I've noticed something that is present to a small degree in other movies but is most notable in 7. Littlefoot (and sometimes Cera) sometimes have partial lines drawn onto his top and bottom eyelids. I'm assuming that these are the remnants of sketch guidelines for his eyes that have been accidentally inked into the linework present in the final product, and it's most notable and frequent in Stone of Cold Fire (shocking, I know).

The first attachment is the most severe example, but usually they look more like the rest. Note that all examples are pulled from one of the non-remaster prints (i think it's the DVD print). Not that i think the remaster would have added weird lines to the linework, that seems to be the one thing they didn't do (that we've noticed so far).

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
There is a really bad scaling error in Return to Hanging Rock. Look at how big Grandpa Longneck is compared to what I assume is Saurus Rock.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Also, there's some weird rock at the top of Rock, when its head should be clean FLAT. 

(Obviously, because it is flathead!  ;)Cera)
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
It's been a while, hasn't it? Are you ready for some more fun Stone of Cold Fire shenanigans?  :smucky

This one... is actually in both versions. The eyes are there this time, but they don't look right. Topps has seen some things...

And I have no idea what's going on with Grandma's proportions in the last one. The animators really did her dirty in this film.  :longneckBRUH Also why are the necks on both of them so thin throughout it really bugs me ahgldash
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:50:41 PM by somerandomfangirl »