The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Past the Great Rock that looks like a longneck

FallenTreeStar

• Ruby
    • View Profile
(Trigger warning) Going to say that my post may be a bit heavy for some.

I feel that being honest and up front is the best way to introduce myself and explain how I came about the forum. I watched the original countless times as a child. I loved it. It did make me sad too. I couldn’t imagine my mom dying and having to go through life like Littlefoot did. I had seen some of the sequels but not all of them. This first is my favorite due to its tone, themes, and score. It’s the most nostalgic for me. My parents divorced when I was 10, but I was watching the VHS release from Universal when I was 5-6 I suppose. I say that because that event in my life really made me attached to movies and their characters. It was an escape from the real world and friends that could help me through that pain that I didn’t really have as a kid.

Coming across Jenny Nicholson's video about LBT is how I heard about this site. I stumbled upon her video by doing lots of research and reading about animated classics that I loved as a child. (LBT, Charlotte’s Web, Bambi, The Fox and the Hound,  Watership Down, Rock-a-doodle, The Brave Little Toaster, 101 Dalmatians, Lady and the Tramp,  Balto to name a few) I love film, reviews, and behind the scenes creation stories. I was wanting to dive into the ones that were the first I ever saw. My nostalgic research was inspired because my heart has been in a time of longing for that child like innocence again. My mom has been battling cancer for over 6 yrs now. Recently received news from the doctors that her treatments are no longer working. Their estimated time she has left was 2 weeks to 2 months. (writing this at just over three weeks)

So looking back I can’t really interpret if it’s destiny, irony, coincidence, or preparation that the movie I watched and loved the most as child is centered around a mom dying early and her spirit guiding and instilling bravery in her son until he and his friends reach their promised land. It really shocked me revisiting LBT how unbelievably relatable it was here at 29 years old.

I’m sorry for the long winded and downer post. I’m not sure how much posting I’ll do but I’d like to explore the forum and read what others have to say. I just really wanted to say that to at least someone in the world. Especially fans of the movie that means so much.  :TreeStar
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 03:16:40 AM by FallenTreeStar »
- Let your heart guide you. It whispers, so listen closely.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey FallenTreeStar!

Welcome to the forum. It's not often that we get a personal story right from the get-go, thank you for sharing. My mom was recently dealing with cancer too, but we got lucky and she is in complete remission now. I similarly couldn't even bear thinking about losing her (28 years old so I feel you), the thought alone is so very upsetting.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I hope she can somewhat enjoy the few weeks or months she has left and that you two can say your goodbyes properly. And even after she passes, you'll always have the memories you made together. Or as the movie so beautifully puts it, she'll be with you, even if you can't see her.

Sending you and your family lots of love. We'll be here to offer a listening ear.

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your story with us :RhettAli

I can’t imagine what you must be going through, but I’d like to offer my support alongside the rest of the forum. We’ll be here for you.

Sending love and good energy to you & your Mother  :MomCompassion

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
First, let me warmly welcome you to our little corner of the Internet.

Thank you very much for sharing your personal story with us.  I am sorry to hear that you and your mother are going through this.  Cancer is a horrible burden on both those afflicted with the condition and also with their loved ones. I can only hope that your mother's remaining time is fulfilling and lived to the fullest.  Rest assured that we in the forum will stand with you during this difficult time, and will offer a sympathetic ear.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

FallenTreeStar

• Ruby
    • View Profile
-Mumbling, I'm very glad to hear that she is doing well. I hope for continued health for her and your family. Thank you so much for the encouragement and kind words. Memories are one of the most important things we have in life so I'm trying to make them the best.

-Mouse-a-saur, thank you for being kind and supportive. I hope to make some friends here that I can support as well. We all need it in our lives.

-rhombus, she's been going through it for so long that it felt like it would never end. It truly is one the worst things on this planet. I've lost a grandfather and two  of my dogs from it already.  I'm just trying to have hope that there is something more. I don't think I could go on much more with out that hope. Keep pushing for the Great Valley I suppose!  :TreeStar Thank you for the welcome.

I'm not really sure where to start to get involved here. I haven't been part of forum in quite along time (a forum for kingdom hearts the video game). I guess I need to do a marathon and try and catch up on the sequel movies that I missed just so I can be able to keep up with everyone  :rhett_smile 

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Forums. I am so sorry treatment for your mom’s cancer is no longer working. I can’t imagine how you are feeling. I am glad LBT is helping you with this tough time.

I imagine you’ve look at all forms of new treatments. Have you heard of Proton therapy?

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Hey, welcome to the forum!

I can only really echo what everyone else has said already. I'm really sorry to hear about your mom, I can't imagine what you must all be going through. My mom lost her best friend to cancer last year after a ten year battle. Cancer's a horrible thing to deal with, both for the ones directly affected by it and their loved ones. I wish you, your mother and the rest of your family all the best during this tough time, and we are here for you if you need us. ❤

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Hello and welcome, FallenTreeStar. (love your username, by the way) Wow. We've had quite a few people who came to the forum thanks to Jenny Nicholson's video. :DD

No need to apologize. I understand completely. In fact, I've gone through similar things to what you've mentioned. My family used to own a VHS copy of the original film as well, and my own parents divorced when I too was at a young age.

Also what you said here...

It really shocked me revisiting LBT how unbelievably relatable it was here at 29 years old.

Very much the case with me too. In fact, I myself was 29 when I first joined the forum back in March 2019. I had recently rewatched the original film after having not seen it since childhood, and loving it so much was the very thing that motivated me to seek out and join this community in the first place. I remembered enjoying the film as a kid, but it was interesting to discover how it actually resonated with me more as an adult. As 2019 and 2020 carried on and I went through several personal losses, Littlefoot's journey grew to resonate with me even more. The Land Before Time has indeed helped comfort me during some of those difficult experiences.

I am sorry for the sad circumstances going on for you right now, but all the same, we are happy to have you. I wish you all the best for the remaining time that you have your mother. Feel free to PM if you ever need to chat further.

I'm not really sure where to start to get involved here. I haven't been part of forum in quite along time (a forum for kingdom hearts the video game). I guess I need to do a marathon and try and catch up on the sequel movies that I missed just so I can be able to keep up with everyone  :rhett_smile 

Again similar for me, haha. This was the first new forum that I had joined in a long time. And it was only the original that I'd watched in recent years when I first posted, but a couple of the other members convinced me to check out the sequels as well, and so I ended up eventually marathoning and reviewing the whole series. :D

FallenTreeStar

• Ruby
    • View Profile
- Gentle Sharptooth, it's really amazing how comforting it has been to me. I'm so glad Don Buth, Stu Krieger, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, James Horner, and the entire rest of the cast responsible for it's creation made it. It's been so impactful to so many people.

She's had radiation treatments, similar to proton. However the location of the cancer (in her spine) between the radiation plus the cancer has weakened her spine. The doctors said that it wouldn't be able to handle anymore without severe damage.  It's also located in spot in her spine where they would have to target it through the front which would cause damage to organs.  She's had radiation, Chemo, and chemotherapy pills.  A few held it off for quite some time.  Sadly it didn't fully eradicate it. They all stopped working at a certain point.

- somerandomfangirl, it seems like it has affected everyone's lives in some way. A terrible part of our broken world.  :rhett_sad. Thank you for being welcoming and supportive.  :)

- StardustSoldier, I'm happy she mentioned the forum otherwise I probably wouldn't have known about it. The thought hadn't crossed my mind to seek out others that share a love for LBT, but some support from others is just what I need I think.  Seems we do have some in common! After going over the story again (even though it gets crushingly depressing for me at moments) it inspired me that I can still have hope and the heart to push forward in life.  I just feel lacking in the friend aspect like the movie has. We need friends and family so I guess part of the motivation was to find others that had similar feelings. I'd love to read your reviews!

Also thank you for the name compliment.! You avatar is one of my favorite scenes.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Definitely one of my favourite scenes too. Enough that this was also the very first avatar I had way back when I originally joined. Over the next couple years I cycled between at least 10 different avatars, before finally coming back to this one. :)

Anyway, here is my (massive!) review index. Enjoy. :D

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
The story of loss and friendship can really impact the right subset of people in the right circumstances. Welcome to the Gang of Five! :duckyOK
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

The jewelstone queen

• just call me Jewel ; D
  • Spike
  • I'm just an artist :0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel (I animate stuff, they old)
Hey there peep!

Nice to see that another video has once again brought us a new member!

I'm deeply sorry for you and your mother. I'm studying under health care, and  I understand how hard it is to deal with cancer. I wish her the best of luck, and I provide you with a quote that someone told me and therefore must pass it down to people who need it. "I'll see what happens, I'll deal with it, I'm ok." No matter what, you'll get through it, and in the end it will all be ok.
I'm currently writing an lbt fanfic about Littlefoot and Ruby, it's a little cringy at first. Go check it out if you're interested! FANFICTION.NET- https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14063661/1/The-Land-Before-time-Unbearable
OR RIGHT HERE ON THE WEBSITE- https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=17556.0

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
- Gentle Sharptooth, it's really amazing how comforting it has been to me. I'm so glad Don Buth, Stu Krieger, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, James Horner, and the entire rest of the cast responsible for it's creation made it. It's been so impactful to so many people.

She's had radiation treatments, similar to proton. However the location of the cancer (in her spine) between the radiation plus the cancer has weakened her spine. The doctors said that it wouldn't be able to handle anymore without severe damage.  It's also located in spot in her spine where they would have to target it through the front which would cause damage to organs.  She's had radiation, Chemo, and chemotherapy pills.  A few held it off for quite some time.  Sadly it didn't fully eradicate it. They all stopped working at certain point.

I wholeheartedly agree. LBT is a film that has impacted me more than any Disney or Pixar film. Just the music invokes something in my soul, it pulls at my heart strings, and transports me.
While I love the sequels, the Original alone does this to me.

Oh my! I am so sorry to hear that no more can be done it seems. I’ll pray for her and for you. This is so hard. I almost lost my mum when she was killed by a car hitting her in crosswalk. She was dead on arrival, released by the coroner to go to morgue, in flight there she awoke, Jesus having raised her from death, and He grew her shattered tibi bone in her knee back in days, the doctors were baffled. So suffice to say I believe in miracles. I believe in medicine too, I always suggest seeing a surgeon and other treatment, but when all else fails I pray for miracles.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hello and welcome to the GoF FallenTreeStar!  :rainbowwave

I'm sorry to hear about you mom. I can't imagine how hard that could be.

I suppose it can be a little intimidating and archaic with all the fancy social media stuff going around haha. Feel free to take it slow and find some topics that you feel like you can give your opinion on. Though in all honesty I'm not the one that should probably give advice as I'm not even that active  :rhett_ohsnap