The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time 4 Showcase - June 2022

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Much like Littlefoot and the Night Flower, my update to this film showcase almost came too late. :p

------------

In this topic please feel free to discuss your thoughts on the fourth film.  I will go ahead and present a few questions to get things started:

1) This film touched on some more mature themes compared to some of the other sequels - namely the possibility of Littlefoot again losing a loved one.  How do you feel the tone of this film compared to the previous films in the series up to that point?

2) This film introduced Ali as a character and, as such, no discussion about this film could avoid this development.  What is your opinion of Ali as a character in the fourth film?

3) Looking at some of the old reviews of the fourth film, it appears that Ichy and Dil were polarizing antagonists for some of the professional critics.  How do you feel that these two antagonists compared to previous ones in the series?

4) On the original VHS cover of the film, Ichy is depicted as holding a pair of binoculars while watching the kids.  Which begs the question.... where do you think Ichy got those?  Rainbowfaces?  :rainbowThinking

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

ManOfWar GT

• Spike
  • He/him
    • View Profile

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
1. Compared to other sequels, this is one of the more darker sequels I’ve seen from the franchise.  It’s kinda like TLBT III where they lost water, and not only did they have to find the cause of no water, they had to face arguments, and fire.  So the fourth movie lands in terms with the third one.

2. I think Ali is OK.  Her personality in the fourth film was great to be honest though, so I’ll give her that, but by the TV series, she was a whole new person.  On another note, and soon as I saw her character design, I immediately thought that this was a girl version of Littlefoot to be honest.

3. The villains of the movie, in my opinion, is similar to Ozzy and Strut, except worse friendship.  I would say they are average villains, however I will say I sort of like their villain song, which to be honest, felt like a roasting song more than a villain song to be honest.  But when I found out the crocodile was voiced by Tress MacNeille?  Now whenever the crocodile appears on-screen, I’m gonna shout out the line: “Seymour, the house is on fire!” because both voices had the same energy to be honest.

4. Maybe he’s actually a mad scientist?  For real though, I’ve said this many times when talking about this cover, I believe this was there to portray how goofy these villains would be, so some binoculars were thrown in for a inside joke, which not gonna lie, was actually a pretty cool joke…

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
1) This film touched on some more mature themes compared to some of the other sequels - namely the possibility of Littlefoot again losing a loved one.  How do you feel the tone of this film compared to the previous films in the series up to that point?

It is interesting that the other two films than the first that threatens Little Foot with losing a close relative have Journey in the title, this one, “Journey Through The Mists”, and “Journey of the Brave” where he could lose his father.

I found the peril of the Grandpa very moving, that it made the adventure more engaging and raised the stakes. The problem is they spend too much time in the cave. I wanted to see The Land of Mists more.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Oop, thought I already posted here.  :rhett_smile

For me this is the sequel that has the darkest tone, but to be honest the movies before it, while not as dark, had their own moments of darkness. III especially as it dealt with drought and not only the physical, but psychological consequences of the GV resident going thirsty with the adults turning on each other. And of course there was Cera and her dad nearly getting killed in the fire. So yeah, I'd say III gets pretty close to IV's tone.

2) This film introduced Ali as a character and, as such, no discussion about this film could avoid this development.  What is your opinion of Ali as a character in the fourth film?

Honestly? I never really cared that much for Ali. She's fine and she had a decent character arc, but I wouldn't put her among my favourite characters.

3) Looking at some of the old reviews of the fourth film, it appears that Ichy and Dil were polarizing antagonists for some of the professional critics.  How do you feel that these two antagonists compared to previous ones in the series?

No lie, I think these two are hilarious. How they've managed to survive for so long, who knows, but they take arguing like an old married couple to a whole new level and I'm here for it.

But when I found out the crocodile was voiced by Tress MacNeille?  Now whenever the crocodile appears on-screen, I’m gonna shout out the line: “Seymour, the house is on fire!” because both voices had the same energy to be honest.

LOL that makes it even better.

4) On the original VHS cover of the film, Ichy is depicted as holding a pair of binoculars while watching the kids.  Which begs the question.... where do you think Ichy got those?  Rainbowfaces?  :rainbowThinking

Definitely rainbowfaces.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion