The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What are your favorite animes?

Kor · 82 · 9143

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't actually like a lot of anime, at all. I've sampled far more animes than what I listed, but I just listed the ones I liked. Anime is just not my genre.
I actually agree with this, though it's entirely personal preference.  I have seen a few (not by choice :p I have a friend who makes me sit down and watch anime with him fairly often).  I can't explain truly why I'm not an anime fan...After all, the stories and characters are generally fantastic; great fight scenes, powerful emotional moments.  What's not to like?

I think the powerfully-immersive nature of anime is what I don't like.  Anime seems to form a sort of parallel in my mind as the "MMO-RPGs of media", if that makes any sense.  Fantastic design concepts, very deep, strong communities,  Huge variety...to the point where it seems like almost too much...but I know that isn't the only reason I'm not an anime fan.  As for what the full reason is...I suppose I'm just not willing to give anime the dedication it deserves.  It's hard to watch most anime casually;  It's too good for that.  I just don't want to get into anime that much.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I may (note "may") be missing out on some animes that I would like, but, again, anime is not my genre. On another note, now that my local FOX affiliate has began airing Sonic X again (I've just now noticed...), I've became a quick fan of that....

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
My list:

1. FullMetal Alchemist
2. Utawaremono
3. Gundam Seed
4. Trigun
5. .hack/SIGN
6. Haibane Remnei
7. Serial Experiment Lain
8. Neon Genesis Evangelion
9. Cowboy Bebop
10. Rurouni Kenshin
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I must say landbeforetimelover I find it interesting that you took a particular liking to Inuyasha. Not that there's anything wrong with it. I've seen some episodes and it's a great show, even though I never really got into it. It's just that you never really made any kind of reference to deeply liking any show other than LBT, and I didn't expect it to be that particular anime. :p

And I can't believe I haven't seen anybody write Avatar yet! Well, unless it's not considered to be anime, though I think it is, and you can always tell just by the style of the art.

Anyway that show is amazing and is most likely my absolute favorite show in the world. I have never been so drawn to an animated series before.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I kind of doubt that Avatar is considered anime. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's from Japan.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Maybe not...I don't know. But either way, it ranks above all other shows I like :p

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, the stlye is close enough to 'real' anime for me to group it with others and rank it as such.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Why hasn't anyone said Berserk, yet?
Because the series isn't that great. The opening episode gives away the end, and the end, itself, renders the rest of the series pointless. While the point they may have been trying to bring home is that you have to follow your own path, it basically ends up "Life sucks, then you get ripped to shreds by demons...or horribly raped".
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's my list of favs:

(In no particular order)

Pokemon
Digimon
Sonic X (Japanese version)
Dragonball Z
Yugioh
Yugioh GX
Spirited Away
Astro Boy (Remade version)
Monster Rancher
Salior Moon
Princess Mononoke
All of the Megaman Animes
Kirby of the Stars
Fruits Basket
Powerpuff Girls Z

Whew!  What a list!

If you have any questions about it, don't hesitate to ask. :^.^:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have a general anime question.

Why is it that the names of various characters are changed or not completely translated? PokÈmon comes to mind. The literal English translation is Satoshi or something like that, but they made in Ash in the English series. Wouldn't it be simpler to make the translations more acurate and true?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Nov 22 2007 on  08:02 AM
I have a general anime question.

Why is it that the names of various characters are changed or not completely translated? PokÈmon comes to mind. The literal English translation is Satoshi or something like that, but they made in Ash in the English series. Wouldn't it be simpler to make the translations more acurate and true?
Ah, what you witness in name changes is the classic result of what happens when subpar dubbing companies like 4Kids gets hold of the rights to dub an anime.

In many results, it is a simple mistranslation because of the accent most Japanese people have.  For example, in Japan, Kirby is actually Kabbii, but because of the way it is pronounced, it is VERY easy to mistranslate it.  It is the same result of Marik from Yugioh!  His real name is Malik, but the accent just makes it sound different.

In the case of Satoshi being Ash Ketchum, the name change was to promote the catchphrase, "Gotta catch 'em all!" that has made Pokemon the world wide phenomion it is today.  However, I have NO idea where the "Ash" part came from.  THAT is ANYONE's guess. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Also, the lack of the R sound in the Japanese language accounts for a lot.  Like in Inuyahsa, the character Miroku is actually pronounced miloku (mill-low-ku) in Japanese and the character Kilala is actually spelled kirara.  L=R and R=L.  Just a little thing about the Japanese language.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've wondered sometimes about why certain names are changed to certain other names when brought over to the us.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My Faves? Here they are...

FMA
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
Cardcaptors (Japanese)
Gundam Wing & G-Gundam
Digimon (I LOVE Gatomon and Renamon)
Kyo Kara Maoh!  
Outlaw Star
Ruroni Kenshin
Miyazaki films
Inuyasha

Funny thing is, in the Japanese Cardcaptors, Li swears.  A lot.  In fact, that's where I learned how to curse in Japanese...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A useful skill if you find yourself in Japan.  :)

I saw an episode of Outlaw Star.  It looked interesting.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Dec 2 2007 on  01:54 AM
A useful skill if you find yourself in Japan.  :)
More like a curse. Pun intended.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You know what to say during traffic in japan to fit right in.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I liked Castle In The Sky.

I really only watch Naruto.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
The newer animes here are heavily censored. Naruto for example, they cut all the blood and "scary" scenes away. Sometimes even weapons. So most scenes doesn't make any sense. Even the words "death" or "kill" in german are replaced with "defeated" or "everlasting sleep". -_-

But the older shows don't. The only show i liked was One Piece. It was censored too, but not like Naruto.  <_<
I also liked some "Ghibli" movies.  :^.^: