The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

More computer problems...

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Okay, I have officially had it with this piece o' junk! Everytime I run chkdsk in read-only mode, it finds a problem with the filesystem; either a corrupted index, free space marked as allocated, or something else, like lost files that it "recovers." But when I run it with full options (/F /V /R /X), which of course requires a restart, NOTHING IS FOUND! I swear, I'm ready to blow this pile o' crap SKY HIGH! :angry

On a side note, I know I'm supposed to be "absent" from GOF for the time being, and for now, I still am.  But this is ridiculous! :anger :angry
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Well there's a bug or problem somewhere otherwise this wouldn't happen.  What program is telling you that there's an issue with the harddisk?

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
CHKDSK. Except, I ran it off the CD in the Recovery Console, and it seems to have fixed some apparent problems which the hard drive's copy of CHKDSK seems to have missed. Took the advice from a friend. The odd thing about that is, CHKDSK (the hard drive copy) will not find any errors when I run it with full options, i.e., set it to run on the next boot. There it will find nothing... Not sure what's going on, and now it's still doing it... Oddball... If this hard drive is going out (less than a month old!) then I'm gonna be really pissed off....

EDIT: Yet, oddly enough, there's no bad sectors, so that's probably not it... Hmm...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Tip #1........don't use CHKDSK.  Ever.  It's pretty useless anyways.  I have my own suite of repair tools that I use for my business and they're great.  Perhaps if you play your cards right NN, I'll give 'em to ya.  Now that I'm no longer in Washington. :lol

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I never manually used Checkdisk. The only time it runs is when it detects an error (not sure what causes these errors) and it runs automatically, which I let it do anyway since it never takes long to finish on this computer. But other than that, I don't use Checkdisk.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It makes some people feel comfortable if they check their computers manually every now and then.  What they don't realize is how little something like CHKDSK can do.  Yup.  If you want to check your disks, you'd be much better off using another program.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I have SpinRite, but it doesn't work with this drive for some reason.  It works on the other one, no idea why.

EDIT: At the very least, my data is safe for now.  Yeah, this is weird.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Even ActiveHardDisk Monitor can check for stuff and is probably far more useful.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah, thank you.  I will look into it...

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Mar 5 2009 on  03:21 PM
Even ActiveHardDisk Monitor can check for stuff and is probably far more useful.
That sounds like something I could put to good use.  Thanks for mentioning it, Adam.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

I tried that program.  Wasn't too impressed, but you are right.  It's much better than CHKDSK.  I'd rather have that program by my side than CHKDSK any day.