The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Games on Computers

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This is basically about the fact that for some reason, I cannot resort to a game system instead of the computer (Mainly first person games). I don't know how you people manage to get used to those joysticks but I think I've poisoned my hand into using a mouse :P: But anyway...

To me, everything just seems to "feel" more realistic on a computer. Mainly because your sitting alot closer to the screen (Well yea you could sit right up in front of a tv but it's just wierd and not the same :lol:). The mouse also seems to give you alot more freedom as if you really were in the game. Just everything about the computer in general makes you seem alot "closer" to the game and it feels more real.

A perfect example is when I went from Halo (Computer) to Halo II (Xbox). The controls didn't give me the freedom I had on Halo for the computer, and I just couldn't adapt to it. The graphics also seemed alot worse. But they weren't really, it's just that on a monitor it looks a million times clearer (Since tvs all have some kind of color haze or something that makes the colors blend in with each other :lol. I don't really know how to put it but it looks alot less clearer on a tv)

Like with the new game "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" I would much rather spend god knows how much money upgrading my computer just to play it as good as it could be played on the Xbox 360. With games like that where the graphics are supposed to be stunning, I just couldn't enjoy it on a system because there's just not enough freedom and it would actually be a struggle to try to check things out or just fool around. (eg: Suppose a squirrel ran up a tree. Now unless you are one dang master with a joystick, there is no way you're gonna manage to fling an arrow at it :lol: while with a computer mouse, it wouldn't be nearly as hard) I don't know I guess what I'm basically saying is that computers seem to have alot more depth to games (Mainly those first person, graphic intense ones) because 1: You sit close to the screen which means you can examine things alot more closely. 2: The mouse is alot more easier to handle and gives you alot more freedom in doing things. 3: Everything is alot clearer on a monitor so if, say you wanted to examine a leaf. You would probably see alot more detail than you would on a tv screen.

But I guess this all mounts down to the fact that nobody has enough money to upgrade a computer that much :lol considering the fact that it would cost a heck of alot more than to buy an Xbox 360.

Ok, well maybe this is just basic knowledge :lol: hehe, but no matter how hard I try I just cannot adapt to First Person games when they're on a system.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
The only game I ever play any more is Halo.  :lol  I'm waiting it out until Halo 2 comes out for the Windows Vista.  Though I DO play other SciFi FPS occasionally.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
^ Also, unless you have hi-def tvs (expensive in their own right) the max resolution you can get is about 600x460...something on those lines.  That right there is the reason your game will appear to be more detailed on a computer monitor (even a CRT one).  I can't imagine every video game will work better on a computer than a gaming console for one good reason--the gaming consoles are designed for one thing--games.  Computers are not, and unless you can shut down the operating system, your computer is bound to be doing something else in the background while you are playing games...so the chance for something to hang is certainly greater.

I don't have a game console, and don't really need one at this point in my life.  i don't have any real computer games since I don't like these things like Halo for example, and two, I don't have a system capable of running that.  So, yes its an expensive upgrade but more of the hardcore gamers will spend it anyway.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The problem with high-def TVs is that most sources (game systems, DVDs, etc) don't have a high enough resolution for the TV (HD DVDs and Blu-Ray will fix that, and supposedly the X-Box 360 is good for HD games, but I've never used an X-Box 360).

The games then make the game look like junk, as opposed to the TV.  

I honestly prefer playing N64, X-Box, Gamecube, and PS2 games on my old 32" CRT (non HD) TV over playing the same games on my friends' 50" widescreen HD TV.  His TV just seems to show the flaws in the graphics so clearly that the games look like Crap (especially the N64 games, at 320 x 200 resolution...)  The lower quality of my TV lets the games "get away with more" and though they are a little blurrier, I find it easier to see the *important* details because everything looks more natural than the hard, blocky graphics on the HD TV.

Oh, and give me a CRT monitor over an LCD monitor any day B)  I've got a crystal-clear 19" CRT that I'm extremely happy with.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
The display is never really a factor that concerns me really. As long as I can see what's going on I'm more than happy. I've played a 360 on a HD tv and to be brutally honest, I couldn't really see much of a difference. Games are games to me, the monitor/tv setting dont really interest me that much. The only thing I have to watch out for is that the majority of our older tvs over here only run at 50Hz (using the PAL system) where as the NTSC system runs at 60Hz standard. The only difference is that if your tv is not set to run at 60Hz (most can cope with both now), the screen looks a little strained and you get this horrible high-pitched squealing noise that'll probably be murder for your pet dog if it was in the room with you! LOL  :DD

In terms of gaming platforms, (I had this discussion with my flatmate a few days ago) I much prefer gaming on a console with a joypad than mouse and keyboard. That's just the way I am. Classic example was me and my flatmate were discussing this over playing Max Payne 2. He's got it for PC and I've got it for PS2. We tried swapping over and, despite our skills on our own formats, we both sucked! LOL. It was actually quite embarrassing. :slap But having said that, I do reckon that some games are much better on PC (Half-life, Rainbow Six, C&C etc). But I'd much prefer to play with a joypad in my hands than a mouse and keyboard. :^.^:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
To me, the quality of the screen/monitor is very important.  If I cannot see the details quickly, I am more prone to making errors while playing.  This is most apparent in high-speed driving games (such as Burnout: Revenge).  This game is incredibly hard on my TV because the TV tends to blur the graphics together so much that I sometimes cannot see the difference between a wall and the curve I'm supposed to follow, and I barrel into a wall at full speed, completely unaware the wall is there until I crash into it. :lol  I've done that way too many times, and often wondered where the wall came from.
Ahh, sometimes I wish I had an adaptor for my computer's video card to input video signals from game systems into my computer, using my monitor as a TV.  I know the games' resolutions are lower than most PC games, but it has to be easier to see than this big blurry TV.  

A few of my friends who have played Burnout with me on my TV don't seem to have this problem with my TV so much.  I guess it's just me, but I find the graphics too blurry to distinguish road from wall or median, all too often.

This is the main reason I wish more good driving games (Like the Burnout series, Twisted Metal, and Gran Turismo 4) were on the PC.  I don't like playing such fast games on my TV; it's just too hard to see.

On the topic of games on PC versus games on consoles:
To me, it depends who I am with, what sort of game it is, and why I'm playing the game.  I always envisioned consoles as being ideal for multiplayer gaming, as you only need a single console (usually), a single TV (Usually), a single copy of the game, and only enough controllers for the players.  There is a large variety of good, social multiplayer games out there on consoles, and they are much cheaper and less work to set up than a bunch of computers, each with their own copy of the game, own monitor, etc.

However, for playing online, I refuse to pay for "internet" service for a console when I already have internet access from my computer.  As a result, I never use consoles for online gaming.  That's where PCs are nice.  Many games have Free online gaming, which can be a nice, fun way to kill an afternoon :lol

When it comes to single-player games, I almost Always prefer they be on a PC.  PC games can run at higher graphic details, as mentioned previously. My computer isn't built for games (it's built for memory-intensive audio applications), but it can hold its own in many games, even though my video card is only average (Radeon 9550).  I can run Unreal Tourament 2004 in 1024x768 resolution in Medium detail, so I'm happy :lol I can't run Quake 4 at all though :cry2 oh well :p

In a perfect world (to me) all video games that were created on consoles would be ported to the PC.  The best company I've seen for doing this, was Acclaim Entertainment.  They mostly focused on console games, but nearly All of their console games had PC editions available.  Some games that were built for consoles, yet had PC editions released as well are: (* symbols next to the PC versions I actually own).

Extreme-G NOrmally known for being on the Nintendo 64.
(if anyone can find this PC game, I'll be Very amazed.  I saw it ONCE in a store, years ago, but I couldn't afford it (and my computer at the time couldn't run it.  It required a 3d accelerator card.  I didn't have one back then).  I've searched all over the Internet and no one has it, or even announces that it Exists on PC(Warning: Some course language on the linked page).  The N64 version is easy enough to find, and I have that version.)

Here's the N64 version
Here's the N64 version.

Extreme-G 2 Normally Known for being on the Nintendo 64.
I've seen it for sale on E-bay Once.  However, it was located in Australia and the auction was over before I actually found it (or I would have bought it! :lol ).  It's nearly impossible to find a PC version.

Here's a PC version of Extreme-G 2
Here's a PC version of Extreme-G 2....in the UK :(  

Does anyone know, are PC games region-coded (will a UK version of the game work on my PC in North America)?

Here's some more info on Extreme-G 2 for the PC
Here's some more info on Extreme-G 2 for the PC.
I preferred the original Extreme-G over the sequel.  I could be very grateful to anyone who can point me to a copy of the original (or even this one) for PC.

As far as I know, Extreme-G 3 (PS2, GC) and Extreme-G: Racing Association (X-Box) never made it to PC.  If anyone knows otherwise, I would be very interested!
I don't have Extreme-G 3 for any system, but I do have Extreme-G: Racing Association on X-Box.  It's not bad.

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter* Normally known for being on the Nintendo 64.
I bought the PC version off E-bay.  This is relatively easy to find online.

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil* Normally known for being on the Nintendo 64.
I bought the PC version brand new, from a local store.  Slightly harder to find online, but it certainly exists.

Turok: Evolution Normally known for being on the Gamecube, PS2 and X-Box.
I downloaded the demo of the PC version, but I've never seen it for sale.

Re-Volt: Normally known for being on Dreamcast (I have the Dreamcast version).
I saw it once in a store, but didn't buy it.  I haven't found it since.  This is one of the easier-to-find Acclaim titles for PC out there, along with Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.

Forsaken* Normally known for being on the Nintendo 64.
This PC game came bundled with my Turok 2 PC game.  Kinda tough to find online now.

Many other titles by Acclaim, which I cannot recall right now.

The only problem with Acclaim's games, is trying to Find the PC versions.  It's nearly impossible, as no one ever advertised them, and any store that carried them only had very limited stock, that I noticed.  I was very lucky to find the PC versions of Turok 2 and Forsaken in stores, brand-new.  I bought Turok: Dinosaur Hunter off E-bay a few years ago.  I've had no luck whatsoever finding any trace of the Extreme-G games.  If anyone has a PC version of an Extreme-G game they're willing to part with, I'll make you a generous offer :lol .

In case you can't tell, I like a lot of Acclaim's games :lol  I was sorry to see their company fail.  It's all but gone, now.  I think it was taken over or something; it's not the same.

But back to my point :p
I prefer gaming on a PC when I'm on my own, but consoles are Great for multiplayer, social gatherings, and they look a lot less nerdy than a LAN party! :lol

*Remember* PC versions of the Extreme-G game series.  Will pay large sums of money. :lol

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
In answer to your question about PC game conpatibility, I should imagine the same rules apply for PC games as they do for all other games/DVDs etc. I can't say I know for sure coz technically, if they run on DVD-ROM formats then the regioning rules should apply i.e. UK being Region 2 and the USA being Region 1. That's what logic would tell me, but logic has a tendancy to lie to me most of the time LOL :lol

About Burnout, I'm pretty sure there is an option to adjust how much the screen blurs when you race. You can normally toggle the "Motion Blur" on/off depending on your preference. Not all games have it though and sometimes, if you're not used to games running at that pace, the only way to distinguish between the road and the wall is when you hit it! PMSL  :DD

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Regarding Burnout, I figured someone would say that :p
It's not the game's motion blur that's the problem, exactly.  It's the lack of image clarity of my TV in general that makes it difficult to react as quickly as that game requires.  Even with the motion blur disabled, it's no easier to see.

Thanks a lot for the info on the region coding!  That's what I sort of figured as well, and I'd rather not spend the money on a product online.  I don't even have a paypal account anymore.  I have to call them and get a problem sorted out.  That's a bit of work to purchase game from Australia that probably won't even work on my computer. :lol

Besides, I'd prefer Extreme-G to Extreme-G 2 anyways :P: