The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Polymer Clay Sculptures

Mumbling · 102 · 14834

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Other than the Land Before Time, I mean :) See my blog for more detailed information on the sculptures!

Today I made a Draik sculpture. This is a dragon like Neopet.

I must say I am quite impressed with the result!

I will be submitting it to Draik Day on Neopets to (hopefully) win a virtual price :)

The Wishing Well, based of the Wishing Well in Neopets.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 11:15:00 AM by Mumbling »

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
:goodluck on that.  These sculptures look fantastic, you have real skill at this.  Hope you continue, and thanks for sharing with those of us here.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Clearly, Iris, your artistic skills are not limited to LBT fanart! :!

I know nothing about Neopets, but the Draik looks great! He’s got a lot of character, especially with those eyebrows, the fins on his head, and that mustache. :lol You did a really good job sculpting his head; I love how the yes and nostrils look. Best of luck to you in winning that prize. :yes

I’m REALLY impressed by the wishing well. :wow That looks like a very intricate design. :o Am I correct in assuming that the only parts actually made of clay are the bucket, the roof, and the brown things supporting the roof and holding the handle together? (By the way, I love how it’s a working model, with the bucket that can be hauled up. :DD)

I’m really curious about how you made the well wall. It looks amazing. Did you use real stones to build it? If so, did you have to cut or sculpt them somehow, or did you just find ones that were the right shapes? Either way, it looks like building the well must have been a lot of work. :blink: It’s incredible how level the layers of stones are, and how perfectly circular and symmetrical the wall is (from what I can tell). Does it have a base or a “floor” to it, too, or is the bottom just a ring of stones? Finally, how tall is it? From the looks of the photos, it can’t be much more than a few inches.

I previously commented a little on the Simba ornament (I’m sorry, what is it exactly?) in Tim’s star day thread, but I can probably come up with a few more things to say. :p First, I think the colors you used are gorgeous (I love that shade of orange). And the pictures you stuck on it are really nice. :DD (What’s that little heart on the left photo made of, by the way?) And as with the well, I’m curious about how big it was. :)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Aug 21 2010 on  04:09 AM
Clearly, Iris, your artistic skills are not limited to LBT fanart! :!

I know nothing about Neopets, but the Draik looks great! He’s got a lot of character, especially with those eyebrows, the fins on his head, and that mustache. :lol You did a really good job sculpting his head; I love how the yes and nostrils look. Best of luck to you in winning that prize. :yes
I honestly loved how the head came out myself as well. When I saw it I immediately baked it, just in case that the body would look horrible I still would have the nice head ;) Thank you for your comments.

I’m REALLY impressed by the wishing well. :wow That looks like a very intricate design. :o Am I correct in assuming that the only parts actually made of clay are the bucket, the roof, and the brown things supporting the roof and holding the handle together? (By the way, I love how it’s a working model, with the bucket that can be hauled up. :DD)

I’m really curious about how you made the well wall. It looks amazing. Did you use real stones to build it? If so, did you have to cut or sculpt them somehow, or did you just find ones that were the right shapes? Either way, it looks like building the well must have been a lot of work. :blink: It’s incredible how level the layers of stones are, and how perfectly circular and symmetrical the wall is (from what I can tell). Does it have a base or a “floor” to it, too, or is the bottom just a ring of stones? Finally, how tall is it? From the looks of the photos, it can’t be much more than a few inches.

The only parts not made of clay are: the rope, the wooden handle and horizontal pin in the middle and the iron pin which I used to attach the rope to the bucket.

When I was in Canada I went shopping at a craft store with Tim. There I saw this clay called 'Stone colored clay', from the same brand as I use to normally model with. I decided to check it out, and when I came with an idea for the wishing well I just couldn't resist buying it. They are bars of 1 ounce which have a stone pattern in them, that won't go away. I cut them all in little blocks and tried to press them together, which is what the wall consists of (two different colors).

It does have a floor. I took a piece of Brown clay which I formed in the shape of a circle (which if you look well, you can see in the top right picture). The ring of stones is laid around it :)

The well is about 5 or 6 cm tall.... about 2 inches, I think. It took quite a while to make, but it was totally worth it! :)

I previously commented a little on the Simba ornament (I’m sorry, what is it exactly?) in Tim’s star day thread, but I can probably come up with a few more things to say. :p First, I think the colors you used are gorgeous (I love that shade of orange). And the pictures you stuck on it are really nice. :DD (What’s that little heart on the left photo made of, by the way?) And as with the well, I’m curious about how big it was. :)

It actually just is a Simba Ornament, haha. It is also 'our' ornament... Ever since I got a christmas present of 'us' in 2009, I decided I wanted one for every year... So this is the one for 2010 :) Tim and I have been together since 2008, but we never met that year, so we never gave something material to each other. I like that shade of orange very much myself, and used a full package of it to create this present (therefore I had to buy a new one at the craft store, which lead me to the stone colored clay :p ). The heart is painted on there with Acrylic paint :)

It is about 13cm from left to right, which is *gets converter* 5.1 inches. Definitely the biggest project I've had so far when it comes to size ;) As I said it used a whole package of clay, which is why I tend not so make big sculptures and stick to those which are just 2 inches. Clay packages aren't that cheap, especially here since there aren't any real craft stores and I have to get them shipped from overseas...

Thanks for your comments and questions!!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Aug 21 2010 on  05:29 AM
Thank you for your comments.
You're very welcome. :^.^:

When I was in Canada I went shopping at a craft store with Tim. There I saw this clay called 'Stone colored clay', from the same brand as I use to normally model with. I decided to check it out, and when I came with an idea for the wishing well I just couldn't resist buying it. They are bars of 1 ounce which have a stone pattern in them, that won't go away. I cut them all in little blocks and tried to press them together, which is what the wall consists of (two different colors).
Wow. :o It sure fooled me. I really thought it was real rock. :oops I like how all of the blocks aren't exactly the same shape; it makes the well look more realistic. :yes

The well is about 5 or 6 cm tall.... about 2 inches, I think. It took quite a while to make, but it was totally worth it! :)
The intricacy of the well is made all the more amazing by the fact that it is so small. :wow

As I said it used a whole package of clay, which is why I tend not so make big sculptures and stick to those which are just 2 inches. Clay packages aren't that cheap, especially here since there aren't any real craft stores and I have to get them shipped from overseas...
That's a shame. :( Did you buy any clay in Canada that you brought back home with you?

Hope to see more work from you soon! :smile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah I bought 8 pieces of clay in Canada, I got lucky because they were with a discount (got them for $2 a package, normally it would be like $3.50) I replaced my orange package, bought two packages of white (that clay goes quickly!), some glow in the dark clay (sounds like fun!), gold clay (which I used for the Draik shown above) and yellow, because just as with painting, you need a lot of yellow! :)

I tried to make the blocks look a little bit more realistic by having them all different shapes/sizes :)

By the way, this is the draik I based my sculpture on:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Whoa... I tried making Simba, failed epically at the head :o So I merged all the clay in one big ball, and pacman came out of it!

So yeah, keyring.

It's about 1inch :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Looks just like the character.  Another great sculpture done.   :yes

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Heh, nice. :smile Way to make the best of a failed sculpting attempt!

By the way, I have to say that I like the mustache on your Draik sculpture better than that of the Draik in the picture. :D And the sculpture overall is very accurate, even if the arms and body are a little simplistic. :yes

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks Pangaea! I made the arms so simple because all my attempts at claws seem to fail when it is so tiny :p

Thanks Kor :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The claws on the feet turned out pretty well, I thought. :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes, they are alright. They are at least twice the size of the hands though, which makes them easier to control and work with.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Another monster with claws coming up! This time it was a commission of a friend, who wanted me to make a Manticore.

On the bottom right you can see that it has glow in the dark eyes, claws and spikes :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow! Nice job on the wings, and the detail of the mane. And the glow-in-the-dark parts are really neat, especially the eyes. Is the lack of detail on the face just because of the size of the model?

Any chance we could see this model from other angles? :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The lack of detail in the face is because I made it for a friend who wants  to paint it, including the face. So I thought I'd let him do that :p

I'll post a picture of the back etc, later :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It would be cool if you could ask your friend for some pictures once he painted the figure too :yes
What colors does he use for it?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't know exactly what colors he will be using, but he'll paint it with acrylics :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Iris, if you let your artistic skill die, I will not hesitate to fly over to you and make you regret it!  It's too good for the world for it to die! /*joke*

All joking aside, this is some great art work.  You really need to keep it up!

See ya later! :)