The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

New 'kinds' of characters

Ratiasu · 14 · 3890

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
What kinds of characters, personality-wise, species-wise, or in general, do you think we need in The Land Before Time? After a while of stumbling around DeviantArt I came across a fairly good German(?) artist that drew dinosaurs using Microsoft Paint. One of her characters is Hornfels, and she did a short comic about him. He, at the most horrid simplification, is a guardian gone mad. Here is the fourth comic page of his story. But the next panel - this - is what made me really become attached to him. I think we need to go back to the darker days of the first Land Before Time. While it would be a huge switch, I've never been really attracted to light-hearted stories where the good guys never get hurt. I guess what I'm asking for is for LBT to become a bit more mature. But aside from a Hornfels-esque character, I think an emotionally troubled carnivore (T. Rex, dromaeosaur, Spinosaurus, whatever) would be a good addition as well. Maybe, say, the carnivore lost a mate in a storm or a famine or something and now inflicts pain on others to keep its mind off of its loved one's death. Well, this is just an idea thread.

On another note, I wish the Pachycephalosaurs from LBT1 would return - they actually scared me, being so aggressive. They're another one of my favorite characters, despite their little amount of screen time. So, in any case...any input?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
a very good point! it would be interesting to have a sharptooth that lost it's mate.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace,Aug 26 2006 on  08:14 AM
a very good point! it would be interesting to have a sharptooth that lost it's mate.
Thank you for replying. I won't say 'yes, it would be interesting to have a sharptooth lose its mate' because I brought it up, but in any case I think it makes for a good fan fiction.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Funny that you mention the story Hornfels. For it is just a few days since a very good friend of mine (the first LBT fan I ever got to know) told me about it. The story is probably not by a German artist. At least the language in much of her other not-English work isn't German. I think it is Finish (that's at least what the artist's profile says). The name of the maincharacter of her Ancylosaur comic seems to be German thogh. "Hornfels" is German for "horn-rock". I wonder if the Hornfels comic is finished or if there is more to come. Perhaps it is finished already. Sure is a sad and gloomy story; alas one which has often been repeated in history. The pictures are really awesome in transfering the mood of the story. Did you realize that the symbol which is carved into the forehead armour of the Ancylosaurs resembles a swastika?
If it comes to LBT I don't think a real one to one copy of that character would be possible, but somebody similar might. As a matter of fact I have been thinking a lot about a story including a maimed character who has all reason to feel bitter about live and might even want it to be ended. While not an evil character that character could hardly be labeled good either. That grey zone is rather interesting but also rather tricky.
I have a rather clear idea for that story in mind (made some drawings of some scenes too), but I'm afraid that it would turn out too dark for LBT. Generally I agree that there could be some mature elements, but I'm not really certain if these elements aren't there already, only we don't realize they are.
Take for example some of the views on the Mysterious Beyond we got in LBT 2 and 3. The landscape consisted to a good deal of the bones of dinosaurs. While this is relatively easy to overlook in a movie I'm sure it would come across as much more dramatic in a written story.
We even have an execution of sharpteeth who are burried alive while they are defenseless in LBT 6 (and I surely dislike that scene in LBT).
So LBT does give us some room for tough scenes without real need to expand any borders of the LBT world too much for it. Personally I'm very much in favor of keeping LBT stories similar to the movies rather than including elements from other story genres.
As for elements / character I would love to see in LBT, that would be a really good villain. I'm talking of a villain who seems to be nice and a friend but pursuits his or her viscious purposes all the time thereby making use of the trust others put into him or her. One might say that there has been such a character already. However, Pterano fooled Petrie and a few of his sibilings and nobody else. The audience could tell from the moment that he first appeared on the screen that he was a crook. I would like to see a character who fools the audience as well! It is difficult however to find good motives for an LBT villain, that is motives which lay outside the usual "circle of life" business. It is not really an evil act if a sharptooth hunts and kills to survive. It makes a character scary but not evil. Also a sharptooth couldn't really be a villain whom everybody trusts so easily as described above. Racism is a possible motive for a leafeater villain. This however excludes many dinosaurs from being impressed by this villain, unless this villain is extremely capable of hiding his reservations and hatred of other kinds (Racism is a latent motive of Pterano too).
There are many more characters I would like to see in LBT, but having just returned after four days of absence there are many more threads for me to read and possibly respond to, so for the moment I'll leave it at that and wait for more responses to this really interesting thread you opened Ratiasu  :)

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 27 2006 on  02:25 PM
Funny that you mention the story Hornfels. For it is just a few days since a very good friend of mine (the first LBT fan I ever got to know) told me about it. The story is probably not by a German artist. At least the language in much of her other not-English work isn't German. I think it is Finish (that's at least what the artist's profile says).
Oh. Finnish. Right. Heh, sorry, I just kind of guessed, but now that I look back there it does say she's Finnish.

Quote from: Malte279 on  
I wonder if the Hornfels comic is finished or if there is more to come. Perhaps it is finished already.
I hope there's more - I even asked her to draw more, but she hasn't replied yet. It could be over, though - most of her comics aren't that long, I don't think.

Sure is a sad and gloomy story; alas one which has often been repeated in history. The pictures are really awesome in transfering the mood of the story. Did you realize that the symbol which is carved into the forehead armour of the Ancylosaurs resembles a swastika?
Yeah, it is a depressing story. I was amazed that the pictures were made using Microsoft Paint, and the coloring was fantastic, too. And, um, I don't know what a swastika is, so...

If it comes to LBT I don't think a real one to one copy of that character would be possible, but somebody similar might
I wasn't really suggesting that there be an exact replica of Hornfels in LBT - that would be a copyright violation.

As a matter of fact I have been thinking a lot about a story including a maimed character who has all reason to feel bitter about live and might even want it to be ended. While not an evil character that character could hardly be labeled good either. That grey zone is rather interesting but also rather tricky.
If you ever get around to writing it, let me know. I don't like black and white characters - they're too...well, cut-through, if that's the right word for it. I prefer grey characters or characters we know hardly anything about, such as the Rainbowfaces.

I have a rather clear idea for that story in mind (made some drawings of some scenes too), but I'm afraid that it would turn out too dark for LBT. Generally I agree that there could be some mature elements, but I'm not really certain if these elements aren't there already, only we don't realize they are
Yes, there are some mature things in LBT, but they aren't really 'stated out loud,' if that makes any sense, which, in my opinion, is a bit brilliant and forces you to look deeper into the movie. But sometimes I like things to be blunt.

Take for example some of the views on the Mysterious Beyond we got in LBT 2 and 3. The landscape consisted to a good deal of the bones of dinosaurs. While this is relatively easy to overlook in a movie I'm sure it would come across as much more dramatic in a written story
Ah, yes! That's a great example! I haven't watched the sequels for a very long time, so I kind of forgot those movies, but I do remember there being lots of bones when the group of five accidentally ventured into the Mysterious Beyond in #2 on a quest to retrieve the egg from Ozzy and Strut.

We even have an execution of sharpteeth who are burried alive while they are defenseless in LBT 6 (and I surely dislike that scene in LBT).
LBT 6...that's the one with Doc, isn't it? If so, that does sound kind of gruesome. But then again, life isn't all flower and sunshine.

would like to see a character who fools the audience as well!
That would be fantastic. I've only seen one character who managed to do that - Aaron from the 8th PokÈmon movie...only he was protrayed as being a coward and a of an antagonist for trapping his apprentice in the jewel of the staff he always carried around, when, in the end, it turns out that Aaron fled the castle to go to the Tree of the World's Beginning in order to stop the massive war going on, and if he hadn't captured his apprentice in the staff he would have followed Aaron anywhere, and Aaron couldn't allow that because in order to stop the war he would have to sacrifice himself. As Aaron said: "If a life must be traded for a pointless war...myself and only me...should be plenty. But I don't have any regrets. In the castle, with Leen-sama and you...I had a beautiful life. That itself is what living means."

It is difficult however to find good motives for an LBT villain, that is motives which lay outside the usual "circle of life" business
Yeah, that's a big problem. But at least the dinosaurs don't want to take over the world.

I'm talking of a villain who seems to be nice and a friend but pursuits his or her viscious purposes all the time thereby making use of the trust others put into him or her
That would be interesting. Out of everything, I would like to hear more about all the different legends and myths the dinosaurs have (ex., the Lone Dinosaur, a Stone of Cold Fire). Maybe a couple saurians could misinterprete one of them and start causing a heck of a lot of problems? But then again that is a bit like Pterano, in a non-direct sense...

However, Pterano fooled Petrie and a few of his sibilings and nobody else
There was that herd of dinosaurs in Grandpa's flashback that believed him about...well, whatever he was talking about, too. I have seen the Stone of Cold Fire movie in a long while, so I forget that part.

It is not really an evil act if a sharptooth hunts and kills to survive
I agree. But Sharpteeth are always a threat, nontheless.

Racism is a possible motive for a leafeater villain. This however excludes many dinosaurs from being impressed by this villain, unless this villain is extremely capable of hiding his reservations and hatred of other kinds (Racism is a latent motive of Pterano too).
Ooo, that's a good one. But yeah, that's a good point, too...

for the moment I'll leave it at that and wait for more responses to this really interesting thread you opened Ratiasu
Thanks Malte.

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Why do I have a feeling they are going to somehow have a human character in this series?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Wishful thinking on your part I suppose. I'm quite sure they won't put any humans in. It would be just too much of a break with the way land before time has always been. There is no need of humans messing around in the land before time.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ugh. That would completely ruin it if they added human beings. As much as I liked the Rainbowfaces, the presence aliens almost crossed the line. Humans would push it over the edge.

Saphireraptor

• Ruby
    • View Profile
oh i disliked the rainbow faces very much. I could understand them beign strange dinos but aliens? ack ><

and dear! they better not put humans in it.  
I thought Mo was a pretty awful character, i dont know whyi dislike him.

I hope they keep the new characters in their own era. like nothing randomly furry and fuzzy! i dont think the fur and fuzz creatures appear until much later right?

I do hope chomper comes back again though!

as in new characters, maybe we need another sharptooth or dinosaur of a different type.
is it just me or are most of the new introduced characters longnecks?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
oh i disliked the rainbow faces very much. I could understand them beign strange dinos but aliens?
I did not dislike the rainbowfaces as characters, but I sure wish they hadn't included this Star Trek departure. If they had made it a kind of mysterious goodbye, similar to Doc's (we never ever learned for sure if there was a "lone dinosaur" or if it was Doc, so everybody could decide for him and herself) I think it would have been much better.
and dear! they better not put humans in it.
I'm absolutely with you on that  :yes  :yes  :yes
I thought Mo was a pretty awful character, i dont know whyi dislike him.
When I first saw Mo on the cover of LBT 9, before the movie was released, I was mortified at his look. Seeing his extreme colors I just thought: "Oh great! Pokemons invading the land before time or what?"
However, when I saw the movie I didn't feel disturbed by Mo's shrill colors. As a matter of fact LBT 9 is one of my favorite sequels. Mo (even though his colors are almost certainly inaccurate) is a kind that existed; Opthalmosaurus.
In the aftermath I wonder why nobody ever had a problem with a purple sharptooth (Chomper), whom I would sure like to see again too.
I hope they keep the new characters in their own era. like nothing randomly furry and fuzzy! i dont think the fur and fuzz creatures appear until much later right?
Nope, fur and fuzz was already around, but passed almost unnoticed among the giant dinosaurs. With Tickles we already had an example for such a creature in LBT.
 :lol: Interesting point, I never thought about that, but you are right. I think we have ten named longnecks (and several more whose names we don't know).
Ali (her mother hardly counts), the old one (has more to say than Ali's mother), Doc, Bron, Shorty, Sue, Pat, Dusty, Rocky, Big Daddy...
For the threehorns we have four (Dinah, Dana, Tria, and Mr. Thicknose, who, inspite of having no horns, is a Ceratopsian too).
We have three flyers (Pterano, Rinkus, and Sierra), but with the next move to be titled "The day of the flyers" I think there is a good chance for more of them.
We have one named and several unnamed Stegosauruses. Tippy, his mother, and the leader of their herd are those who I think "qualify" to be counted.
We don't have any of Ducky's kind! With 12 sibilings of Ducky (according to LBT 6) one should expect them to play some role. I'm planning on a story in which a sibiling of Ducky will play a major role.
as in new characters, maybe we need another sharptooth or dinosaur of a different type.
As for another sharptooth, who is more than just the wordless menace, one could either have Chomper meet another friend or pick one of the following possibilites:
We could have a scavenger. This may be considered too harsh for an LBT story, but I really think a scavenger would be an interesting idea. How would the dinsaurs deal with a character who is no thread but possibly a kind of social outcast, despised by everyone? A healthy ecosystem needs scavengers and I think LBT could make use of them too.
Or we could include very small sharpteeth. This is an idea I had been planning on for a while but on which I didn't spend much thought since LBT 11 came. There were kinds of sharptooth who wouldn't grow much taller than Ducky, who wouldn't impose a thread to the dinosaurs of the Great Valley, nourishing on insects or tiny lizzards. This idea, I think, would have been a lot more interesting than the little longnecks they brought up in LBT 11. One advantage of tiny sharpteeth is that it would have been easier to understand the grownup's reaction to the "tinysaurs" which came across as somewhat exaggerated in LBT 11.

trexmaster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: JojotheIncredible,Aug 27 2006 on  11:41 PM
Why do I have a feeling they are going to somehow have a human character in this series?
I doubt it, since the narration at the beginning of each movie makes it clear that humans don't exist in the LBT world.

Actually, I have no problem with the idea of humans in LBT per se, but there is one type of human I would not want at all: cave-dwelling white guys wearing fur togas, also known as "cavepeople". Why, in the vast majority of fantasy movies juxtaposing humans and dinosaurs, do the humans generally look like that? First, I would think that any humans living in a climate warm enough for big dinosaurs would look more like Africans, Amazonians, or some other tropically-adapted people. Secondly, why do the humans have to live in caves? Why can't they live in, say, huts, or even castles? Thirdly, do they need to be Paleolithic? Since humans never lived with dinosaurs at all, you probably can't call it more inaccurate to give the humans futuristic or medieval technology than simple sticks and stones.

If LBT decides to include humans, I hope they use a different type than cliched cavepeople.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 31 2006 on  02:47 AM
oh i disliked the rainbow faces very much. I could understand them beign strange dinos but aliens?
I did not dislike the rainbowfaces as characters, but I sure wish they hadn't included this Star Trek departure. If they had made it a kind of mysterious goodbye, similar to Doc's (we never ever learned for sure if there was a "lone dinosaur" or if it was Doc, so everybody could decide for him and herself) I think it would have been much better.
I agree with you on that, Malte.

Quote from: Saphireraptor,Aug 30 2006 on  10:51 PM
I've noticed that, too, and I actually find it a bit annoying. As stated before (well...maybe I typed it somewhere else), I really wouldn't mind the Pachycephalosaurus from LBT1 coming back in some shape or form. An Amargasaurus would be interesting too, though it is a sauropod - I think - all the neck spines would be interesting. We need more Ankylosaurs and less of the popular dinos at that - I've never liked the "classic" saurians like Triceratops and Stegosaurus.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
*cough* I like triceratops they are one of my number one favs. but I do know of some new ones coming but for now not saying much about it.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Threehorn,Aug 31 2006 on  08:58 PM
*cough* I like triceratops they are one of my number one favs.
Just because you like them doesn't mean I have to, too. :\