The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The World wide Mythology Trivia Quiz

Saft · 93 · 17459

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, that is exactly right. The next question belongs to you.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Okay, here comes one a little more difficult but hopefully manageable. Several Germanic (not to be confused with Nordic) sagas mention the "Rabenschlacht". Quite literally this would translate to "Raven-battle". Many Germanic sagas tend to pick some historical elements mix them together, add a lot of fictional elements etc. So there is a historic basis for the "Rabenschlacht" though it differed much from the saga. In fact there are three historical elements parts of which can be found in the saga text. However, all three are tricky to find so I'm just looking for one historical basis for the legendary "Rabenschlacht". One hint, the name "Raben..." (Schlacht means battle) does not refer to the bird raven (though this adds a stylish double meaning to the word) but to the place where the battle supposedly took place.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
^
Unfortuantely my internet died, so hence why I couldn't answer the previous question, besides..I should provide people with a sporting chance. So :p.

Now as to Malte's historically based mythological question, I could be entirely wrong with this since I only came across it once but is it in regards to the Dietrich legend?  That the battle that you are asking took place at Ravenna? In which Dietrich or Theodore of Italy fought with Attilla's sons/brothers in order to win back his kingdom.

That's all I got...
Edited for spelling... :bang  :bang

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
(Egyptian mythology)
In the days when Ra was stll ruling the earth, he knew that if the Goddess Nut had children one would thus then end his reign....

Question:
What did Ra do to prevent Nut from having children?  What  did Nut do to avert it?  Which children did she bear?

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
He attempted to stop her child bearing by forbidding her from having any children on any of the three-hundred and sixty days of the year. Nut was determined to have her children born, so she gambled with the Khons, using moonlight she had won to create five new days, in which she could then give birth. The children born to her were: Osiris, Isis, Horus, Set, and Nephthys.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Indeed.
Ra really cared about being in power on the land of Egypt.  

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Three goddesses sought to learn which of them were the most beautiful. Zeus was questioned, but did not want to get in the middle of such a debate. Who did Zeus appoint to judge who the most beautiful was, what did the three goddesses each do to win his favor, and who did he pick? This is greek mythology, by the way.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Greek mythology?  Really? .:p

Anyway, to your question..I presume it is what set off the Trojan war.  

Zeus picked Paris, Prince of Troy because of Eris, goddess of discord and chaos threw a apple into the marriage celebrations of Pelus and Thetis.  Hera, Athena and Aprodite claimed the apple, asked zeus which one was more beautfiul, he didn't want to get involved and as I said, picked Paris.  Because obviously by picking a mortal, the mortal would suffer the consequences if he didn't pick the right one (after all, Hera was a jealous woman).  Anyway, Athena offered wisdom and for paris to be an able warrior, Aphrodite offered the love of the most beautiful woman in the 'world' and Hera offered him to be king of Europe and Asia.  He choose Aprodite and by doing so he received Helen but also doomed Troy by incuring the wrath of Hera and Athena who were offended and thus they helped the Greeks to win Troy.

I believe that i have answered your question.:p

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Greek mythology? Really? :p

Sorry, heh heh. I don't know much mythology outside of Greek.  :bang I'll try to diversify next time.

And I believe that you are correct.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
^
That is not what I meant.  What I meant was in reaction to your post after saying 'this is greek mythology by the way.'  Considering that it was put there as an apparent after thought and thus seemed to me as though if the people didn't get 'Zeus' and associate it with greek mythology, then that's pretty bad of them in the first place since EVERYONE knows about Zeus even if they don't do mythology.  See what I meant?  So it's not a beration of you, it was something that I noticed and found amusing.

Anyway, 'TY' (I'm sure you know that from playing WoW).

My question is as follows and is Greek mythology based.  Who was condemened for all eternity to roll a large boulder/rock (whatever you want to call it) up a steep hill, only for it to roll back down every tme it nearly reached the top?  And what did he do to deserve it?

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It was king Sisyphus. He had to roll the rock for punishment for his trickery. He had tricked death into being bound by a chain so no one could die, and he even believed that his cleverness outweighed that of Zeus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sisyphus king of Corinth. He cheated dead not once but twice. First making dead drunk and chaining him up in his cellar, and second time, before death was released from his dungeon Sisyphus prohibited his folks to bury him or sacrifice anything to Hades and act like he was still alive which annoyed Hades so much he sent Sisyphus back again. When Zeus saw this he was so angry at Sisyphus (who for being disrespectful about them wasn't in the good books for the gods anyway) that he condemned him to this stone rolling sisyphean task after his final death.

I need to write less verbose ;)
You beat me to it Michael.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Indeed.
Quite funny really, as I was telling Malte just now, Sisyphus was in my exam for classics and popular culture.  If you are familiar with the English Prme-minster (Tony Blair) he was voted in twice (from what I an remember) anyway, during my exam there is a 'punch' cartoon extract of 2001-2007 in which Sisyphus - Tony Blair is rolling the rock up the hill, the rock is labelled 'labour's promises'...by 2007, it is rolling DOWN the hill, symbolising the broken promises that labour broke to get into office.  Quite fitting really.  And is quite a bit of useless informtation for you.:)

Better luck next time Malte.:)

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
And is quite a bit of useless informtation for you.
Well, that was pretty interesting. Sometimes a good purpose can be soully to entertain, which you did.

Okay, now for some Roman mythology. What god had his temple doors open during wars and closed during peace?

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry Malte, I have to beat you to this one.  It is Roman Mythology after all.  

Well to your question, it is Janus.  An example of when it was closed was in 29BC by Augustus, an act symbolising to the World that Rome was at peace but this was very far from the truth.  

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yep, it was him alright. Go ahead at your earliest convinience.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Easy question I know but in Egyptian Mythology how did Seth kill his brother Osiris?

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yikes, the answer is pretty intense. Seth had a box built that fit Osiris perfectly. At a party, he said that anyone who could fit into the box could have it. Naturally, Osiris did, but when he got in, Seth's band of conspirators sealed it shut with molten lead and threw it into the Nile river, where his life came to an end.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile