The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Owls' Fanart Nest

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
So for the turn of the decade, resident fanfic author Owls shall attempt (key word) to foray in the vast unexplored realm of fanart. :wave

Just a heads up, I am not the best artist. :x

Here is my submission for the Nov/Dec 2019 Fanart Prompt: Humanization

Spike the Composting Machine

(ignore the composing typo)

The idea for this came when I was reading about biofuels. But seriously, wouldn't Spike be a perfect compost machine if the Gang were in our world? He'll gobble up your excess food and provide you a ton of stinky biofuel.

It's a win-win, and Spike will be one happy spiketail! :^^spike Hope you liked it! :p
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Oh my... XD
Funny.
Love your caption and signature!

Sorry if I forgot: did you make any LBT drawing before?
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yaaay another fanart prompt victim participant! Welcome aboard :)

Very funny idea! The coloring is quite nice on this piece! Somehow it feels very warm and fuzzy :)

To be fair, he could also be a composer since he almost seems to be singing an opera, so perhaps it's not a writing error at all! :PCera

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I quite like the idea on display here. As for Lettuce Composing being a typo, I am not so sure... if anyone was to compose a song called "Ode to Lettuce" it would probably be Spike.  :SmugSpike

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Umm... the idea is pretty :PCera but the drawing itself is quite good. Spike's head is a bit too small and it looks weird but otherwise, decent job for a first picture. :smile

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Always a great day when another person decides to try drawing!  :rainbowwave
I never knew that this was going to be for the prompt, I thought you just decided to randomly draw Spike. It's a clever idea and I'm sure Spike has no problem excelling at his modern day job  :^^spike
I've already mentioned my thoughts on the drawing itself on Discord so I'll just finish by saying that it's awesome to see you join in on the prompt and I hope to see some more from you in the future!  :chompysmile

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry if I forgot: did you make any LBT drawing before?
Nope, nope, nope! This is my first! :Mo

Umm... the idea is pretty :PCera but the drawing itself is quite good. Spike's head is a bit too small and it looks weird but otherwise, decent job for a first picture. :smile
Thanks! Yeah, the head was one of the more annoying parts. I couldn't find a good oblique reference for that angle, so I just winged it. I suppose I should be glad that a small head was the most obvious problem after that.

Very funny idea! The coloring is quite nice on this piece! Somehow it feels very warm and fuzzy :)
Yeah, when I tried to use Spike's regular colors straight from the films, I found that they were either too muted or dark, so I went with more a more vibrant Ducky-like green instead.

I quite like the idea on display here. As for Lettuce Composing being a typo, I am not so sure... if anyone was to compose a song called "Ode to Lettuce" it would probably be Spike.  :SmugSpike
Only took a few posts for more puns... :bestsharptooth

Thanks everyone! I'm not sure when (or if) this will continue in future, but I did like the process of making it, so who knows. Maybe simple pieces... :P
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I must concur with people that the idea in this one is rather hilarious, but also sort of understandable and truthful as well. I am glad to see more people become interested in trying their hand in fanart, and even if I will probably never join this group, I'm happy to see that your first drawing was well done. :^^spike

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I too would like to chime in and say that this is a pretty nice drawing. Spike's back leg looks a little off to me, but other than that it looks good.

Thanks everyone! I'm not sure when (or if) this will continue in future, but I did like the process of making it, so who knows. Maybe simple pieces... :P

No pressure, of course, as I understand you have a busy school semester coming up. But I would love to see more artwork from you at some point.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I must concur with people that the idea in this one is rather hilarious, but also sort of understandable and truthful as well. I am glad to see more people become interested in trying their hand in fanart, and even if I will probably never join this group, I'm happy to see that your first drawing was well done. :^^spike
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out myself.

I too would like to chime in and say that this is a pretty nice drawing. Spike's back leg looks a little off to me, but other than that it looks good.
Hm, really? I would have expected it to be the tail or front leg.

No pressure, of course, as I understand you have a busy school semester coming up. But I would love to see more artwork from you at some point.
We shall see... :)petrie

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Hmm...somehow I missed this fanart from you Owls. But then again, I was gone for two weeks during the time you posted this.

I have nothing much to say here, but I like the cartoon feel and art style you went for. And what a humorous and yet quite genius approach you went with to compare Spike with a real life composting machine. I like it! :P

Not the best I've seen obviously, but you're off to a great start Owls. I can't wait to see what you have to offer next. :smile

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

ChocoDrake

• Chomper
    • View Profile
That's really good Owls.  :^^spike

If you enjoy art then I say go ahead and draw. :)

I'll give some tips for next time or to learn if you wish to. Dinosaurs have the problem of not having living references to work off of, all we have is bones and such, still I would look up real dinosaur bones or realistic art from other people and try to learn from them. All art is based off real life everyone just changed it up for their own purposes. I would grab some pics you like and draw shapes over their bodies, this is tracing yes but you are not posting it you are only trying to understand how this is built, reverse engineering as you will. You can brake the rules of drawing if you know you are breaking them, ie I'm sure dinosaurs couldn't make such expressions with their faces but most people break that rule cause they want to and it looks good.

I'm still trying to figure out how Carnotaurs work. It's a little hard, but I'll get there like you will. Keep drawing you get better the more you make.

The lineart is the best part of your piece it gives it a hand drawn feel and it looks a bit like a animation cel. The only things that bug me is the tail and face, tail should tapper off more and the face looks off I dunno maybe the head is too small or the expression is off.  :confused

Maybe you should try shading next time? What art program do you use to draw? I use Firealpaca for my work.
"I would not mess with Littlefoot's Mother, man. She'll Suplex you."

Do you want a retelling of LBT from Littlefoot's mother's point of view? Then I have the story for you.

Vale Guardian

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Nice Spike art Owls! It captures his indolent but kind demeanor. Has Spike been a composer for a long time?

I love Spike, he deserves more attention.  :^^spike

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'll give some tips for next time or to learn if you wish to. Dinosaurs have the problem of not having living references to work off of, all we have is bones and such, still I would look up real dinosaur bones or realistic art from other people and try to learn from them. All art is based off real life everyone just changed it up for their own purposes. I would grab some pics you like and draw shapes over their bodies, this is tracing yes but you are not posting it you are only trying to understand how this is built, reverse engineering as you will. You can brake the rules of drawing if you know you are breaking them, ie I'm sure dinosaurs couldn't make such expressions with their faces but most people break that rule cause they want to and it looks good.

The lineart is the best part of your piece it gives it a hand drawn feel and it looks a bit like a animation cel. The only things that bug me is the tail and face, tail should tapper off more and the face looks off I dunno maybe the head is too small or the expression is off.  :confused

Maybe you should try shading next time? What art program do you use to draw? I use Firealpaca for my work.
I used a LBT8 frame as reference, ironically. Funny you mentioned the tail, I think that it does look off.

It was drawn traditionally and scanned into GIMP. I'm not an artist haha, this was done on a whim.

Nice Spike art Owls! It captures his indolent but kind demeanor. Has Spike been a composer for a long time?

I love Spike, he deserves more attention.  :^^spike
Ironically, he was a "composter". I made a typo in the drawing itself. :p Spike does get the short end of the stick, lol.