The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Coming back to theaters

Stitch · 24 · 3975

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You'll never believe what I found.

Every weekend, just for fun, I search Land Before Time in dogpile's news search, and the second news story was a notice of upcoming events.  

Apparantly, on February 25, Cineplex entertainment is broadcasting the 1988 film in theaters at 11 am local time, and the ticket is only $2.50.

This relates to a canadian event based on where the company is, but it's possible that it will be in the US as well.  Here's the news story:

Yahoo news story

There will probably be more information after the 3rd, when tickets go on sale.  If it is in my area, I will definitely go.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's pretty awesome :) I hope you live near enough to one of the theaters!

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well if this is true than that is awesome. But I will not waste my money on something I can see for free online.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As cool as it sounds, it just seems like what they did to The Lion King and then what they're doing to Star Wars, just re-releasing them in 3D which just seems to be a waste of time and money to me.  Especially in the case of Star Wars.

But hey, at least they still do care to play older movies again at the cinema, though I wouldn't see it myself.  I'd rather just see a movie that's new at the movies as it's expensive as it is to go to the cinemas over here.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah it's there way of trying to make more money off a old film they did back when it first came out. What a waste of money that is. Hence why I never go to the movies at all.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Well, it remains an opportunity for those who were too young / not born in the late 1980s to watch it on the big screen. A chance I would not be annoyed about if LBT ever happened to be shown in a cinema anywhere near my place. Nobody claimed for it to be turned 3D, or did somebody?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie85,Jan 30 2012 on  05:01 AM
Yeah it's there way of trying to make more money off a old film they did back when it first came out. What a waste of money that is. Hence why I never go to the movies at all.
On a more positive note, this could revive a new generation's (and our's ;)) interest in LBT and possibly encourage Universal to continue the series.

I had a feeling LBT isn't dead.  In December, WalMart was carrying the films, wrapped in a Christmas-like packaging with a red bow.  They had to have just manufactured those.  Perhaps things are looking up for LBT after all, but I'll hold my breath and not jinx lBT until we do see this happen :p.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Let's see, what's the appropriate picture to express my feelings for this?

Oh yes, I remember!

I'll see if I can get a ticket, everyone! :)

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
...meh. I'd rather watch it on my HDTV. At home.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am hoping for this to be an opportunity for the missing scenes that were only shown in theaters back in 1988 to be brought back to the audiences.  For our years of loyal support, we deserve them.

However, seeing what Universal has done lately, I don't know if I can trust them to do that.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jan 30 2012 on  10:52 AM
I am hoping for this to be an opportunity for the missing scenes that were only shown in theaters back in 1988 to be brought back to the audiences.  For our years of loyal support, we deserve them.

However, seeing what Universal has done lately, I don't know if I can trust them to do that.
The deleted footage from original 1988 movie was never aired in cinemas because it was trimmed from the final cut and left on the cutting room floor (as the saying goes). The additional scenes we know of were included in trailers prior to the movie's release and removed before it was officially released in cinemas. I highly doubt you've find anything new being shown seeing as we already know that the footage in question was never archived. Despite our loyalty, I doubt Universal feel they owe one iota for a series they are done and dusted with.

Still, would be great to see LBT back up in cinemas. Given the opportunity, I'd be first in line to relive that feeling again. :D

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Jan 30 2012 on  12:10 PM
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jan 30 2012 on  10:52 AM
I am hoping for this to be an opportunity for the missing scenes that were only shown in theaters back in 1988 to be brought back to the audiences.  For our years of loyal support, we deserve them.

The deleted footage from original 1988 movie was never aired in cinemas because it was trimmed from the final cut and left on the cutting room floor (as the saying goes). The additional scenes we know of were included in trailers prior to the movie's release and removed before it was officially released in cinemas. I highly doubt you've find anything new being shown seeing as we already know that the footage in question was never archived. Despite our loyalty, I doubt Universal feel they owe one iota for a series they are done and dusted with.

Still, would be great to see LBT back up in cinemas. Given the opportunity, I'd be first in line to relive that feeling again. :D
But it could have the shaprtooth fight without extra trimming.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I am a little surprised about the predominantly negative response to LBT being shown in some cinemas again. What is the problem about it?
Is there any harm in universals possibly making a little more money from it? I don't think so.
Can it be beneficial if somewhere people who didn't have the chance to see LBT on the big screen back in 1988 get the chance now? I think so.
So what is the problem about it?
Personally I wouldn't pin my hopes too high about any release of any deleted scenes and less high even about it triggering any kind of reboot or continuation of LBT, but if there is a little hope for some I don't see the harm in it either.

Tikikata

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.strawberrytiki.net
This is excellent news!
I, for one, am quite excited for this. I went to see The Lion King 3D, and it was excellent and brought back so much from my childhood. I wasn't born when the original movie was released in theatres, so I really want to go see this when it's released! :)

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Has no one ever told you guys not to look a gift horse in the mouth? Stop, and think about it. This is the original timeless classic. In theaters again. The Land Before Time. In theaters again. That in and of itself should be cause for joy.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If it comes to an area near me, you bet your ass I'll go and see it.  I was never lucky enough to see the original on the big screen.  I wasn't even born yet when it was put out in theaters.  And despite how much I hate theaters (they're too loud and dirty), I'll definitely go see it if it comes to a theater near me.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie85,Jan 30 2012 on  04:18 AM
Well if this is true than that is awesome. But I will not waste my money on something I can see for free online.
You do realize that you shouldn't be able to watch it online for free because uploading it online without Universal's permission is illegal?

This is a great opportunity for this generation of kids who are fans of the franchise but never saw it in theaters to go see it, or for those who have never even heard of the franchise before to check it out. I understand why people think all of these rehashes and rereleases of things in the media is just a money cash in, but the ability to give people a chance to see timeless classics on the big screen again outweighs that money factor.

I would go see it in a heartbeat :)

Sonicdash

• Ruby
    • View Profile
My nephew before watched Land before time.

he seems to like it.

if there is one nearby i'd go see it

heck my whole family would

cera: mom's fave
Chomper: Brother's
Littlefoot: mine
Petrie: My nephew

sorry ducky n spike. no love for you T.T no one kill me.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Damn, I'm jealous. If it was re - released in UK cinemas, I'd definitely go watch it. Hope you guys who go see it enjoy yourselves.