The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ducky123's fic

Ducky123 · 254 · 31081

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Writer's Block? What's that?  :lol Wrote 3000 words yesterday. Struggled free for the moment at least... and I hope this is going to stay that way when school begins again on Monday :x

I am glad to hear that the writer's block has finally lifted.  It is never a pleasant experience to have your creative energies zapped all of a sudden.  :yes

Now on to the chapter itself:

The poor parents...  In fact, poor everyone in this chapter.  The parents now know that blood was found, but none of their children.  The reconnaissance mission of the flyers must continue.

Meanwhile, poor, poor Cera.   :( It seems that Littlefoot has finally decided that the needs of the group must take priority of over the needs of one of its members.  A very valid decision, but a hard one nonetheless.  I am quite amazed that Ducky was able to keep emotionally controlled in this situation, although I suppose that she has known that it may be coming for quite some time.

I only had a few suggestions:

"I'm afraid we can't do anything for Cera," Littlefoot announced dispirited. "She'll be lost."

Perhaps "She is lost" would work better here.  Often in times of profound grief or the acknowledgment of a death, the present-tense version of the phrase will be used.  Your wording is not technically incorrect, however, it is just a stylistic choice.

Spike gulped as accurate as Petrie.

Perhaps "Spike gulped as conspicuously as Petrie" would work better here.

Spike's facial expression was clearly stating how he felt, bad, worried, guilty and depressed.

You should use a colon here.  "Spike's facial expression was clearly stating how he felt: bad, worried, guilty and depressed.

I am very curious about your opinions, yes I am!  :)  And I wonder if anybody can guess what is going to happen in the next chapter :p Spike gives you a hint ^^

Hmm...  Perhaps they will find the 'night flowers'?  In any case, I guess that I will have to wait until the next chapter to find out.

I look forward to the next installment.  :) Keep up the good work!

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks for your review :)

I am glad to hear that the writer's block has finally lifted. It is never a pleasant experience to have your creative energies zapped all of a sudden. in-yes.gif
I hope it'll leave me in peace... I will soon be in a situation where I know which way the story will take but I don't know how to fill the space inbetween. Oh well :smile

The poor parents... In fact, poor everyone in this chapter. The parents now know that blood was found, but none of their children. The reconnaissance mission of the flyers must continue.
Yes, the grown-ups are suffering a lot under the situation... Good thing is that there are members of the herd who are capable of flying :)

Meanwhile, poor, poor Cera. sad.gif It seems that Littlefoot has finally decided that the needs of the group must take priority of over the needs of one of its members. A very valid decision, but a hard one nonetheless. I am quite amazed that Ducky was able to keep emotionally controlled in this situation, although I suppose that she has known that it may be coming for quite some time.
I agree, poor Cera :( Littlefoot has no other choice than to decide that they must keep going to find their families and abandon Cera, sadly... And Ducky... well, she could have cried if she wanted to but, in this situation, she was strong enough not to. I didn't exactly think about your assumption when I wrote this :p I rather thought that she would do so later when trying to fall asleep. You'll see whether that happens or not soon :)

I only had a few suggestions:
Thanks for pointing those out :) The chapter wasn't proofread when I uploaded it (well, only proofread by me, that is). For that, four suggestions are quite a good result :smile
Inactive, probably forever.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This thread exists for over a year now... At my current speed, I'll need years to finish this story :DD

Well, enjoooooooy :smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 45: "Let your heart guide you!"

Littlefoot had chosen to stay close to the cave, just in case someone or something was about to attack him... He sat down, turning his head towards the sky. There weren't any Sky Puffies that could possibly block his view. Littlefoot quickly recalled what Spike, voiced by Ducky, had told him. "Look into the lights..." the Longneck heard himself mumbling. Not being on the look for something in particular, he did look into the lights. Littlefoot decided not to doubt Spike's idea even though it had sounded stupid. The stars wouldn't cure Cera nor would they help them to find their parents after all. Or would they? Littlefoot felt that there was something to be discovered somewhere deep in his heart. Was it really true that his mother was watching him from up there all the time? Just at that moment, a certain light earned the little Longneck's attention since it was twinkling and shining brighter than all the other lights. Littlefoot quickly drew a conclusion.
"Mother?"
He got no reply but he knew it was his mother he was talking to nonetheless, or her spirit.
Littlefoot tried to feel her in his heart. He knew he had to discover a way to talk to his mother.
"Littlefoot..." an all too familiar voice whispered from somewhere above him. Having jerked up a little due to the surprising voice, Littlefoot craned his neck and watched the light twinkle.
"Littlefoot..." the female voice spoke again. Littlefoot saw something sailing down from the sky. Upon a closer look, he realised that a treestar of perfect shape strived towards the ground. As soon as it had touched the ground, a puddle of water appeared in it.
"Dear, sweet Littlefoot..." the voice whispered. Littlefoot, who had been looking at his own reflection in the puddle, jerked back a little.
"M-mother?" Littlefoot asked in disbelief.
"Littlefoot, how are you, my dear, brave boy?"
"H-h-how am I able t-to speak to you, mother? You've been killed, haven't you?"
"Quite, my son. Physically, I may not exist anymore but our spirits are still connected as long as you remember me."
"Oh, I will always remember you, mother."
"Of course you will, my son."
"Well, do you know where Grandma and Grandpa are? I need to find them.."
"I'm sorry, Littlefoot... I don't know."
"B-but I thought you..."
"You are the only dinosaur my spirit can connect to."
"But I NEED to find them... They'll be worried about me, thinking that I'm dead as well... A-and I'm all alone!"
"You are certainly not all alone, my son. You have four young dinosaurs looking up to you. If you hold on together, you'll be stronger than the meanest Sharptooth. Nothing could break you apart."
"Yeah... but we're gonna lose Cera..."
"If you hold on together, nothing could break you apart..."
"I don't understand, mother!"
"But you will, my son, you will."
"By the time I will, Cera'll be dead!"
"Oh don't worry so much, my little one."
"What'll I do now?"
"You will lead your friends to the Land of many Wonders."
"Huh!?"
"There is a legend that says it is just as lush and green as the Great Valley used to be."
"And how am I gonna find it? Do you know where it is?"
"I'll be in your heart, Littlefoot... Let your heart guide you; it whispers... so listen closely."
For some reason, this sentence sounded familiar... too familiar. He knew he had heard it before but where?
"Mother?"
Littlefoot didn't get any  response. The blinky light was gone. The only thing that still reminded him of his mother was the Treestar. Reluctantly at first, he grabbed the leaf and put it on his back. This Treestar was special, it was given to him by his mother so he would keep it safe by all means. Sighing, he continued to look into the stars.

Ducky had chosen a lone boulder in the distance to look into the stars. She totally believed what Spike was saying just some moments ago. Lying on the boulder in a comfortable way, the Swimmer watched the Great Night Circle, then she observed the sky. Though the sky looked just like always, no bright lights were to be seen...
"I believe Spiky but I cannot see what I should see, nope, nope, nope," Ducky mumbled. After some moments of hard thinking, the Swimmer had a possible explanation in mind.
"Hmm.. maybe I need to do something... I have not ever seen a bright light before, nope, nope, nope. Maybe I need to think about my loved ones to be able to speak to them..."
Ducky closed her eyes and thought about her Mommy with all her might. "I miss you, Mama," she thought and opened her eyes. Upon looking into the sky again, there weren't any lights brighter than the others. Just, when she was about to get depressed, she remembered Spike saying that the loved ones are always looking upon her from the sky. "Mommy is still alive. It could not have worked since only dead dinosaurs get their own stars..." Everything made sense at last. "But Daddy is..."
Ducky closed her eyes again and thought about her father, highly focused. As she opened her eyes again, a bright, twinkling light caught her attention immediately.
"It has worked!" she celebrated merrily.
"Can you hear me, daddy?"
"Loud and clearly, my sweet daughter."
"Spike is right, he is, he is!"
"He is a loyal friend, you should stick with him, Ducky."
"I will stick to him, I promise. How do you know Spike?"
"I keep an eye on you whenever I can, you're never really alone, Ducky."
"You are? Why did not I feel you all the time?"
"It's too complicated to explain..."
"I believe it is, yep, yep, yep."
"You don't have to speak to me by the way. If you send a message by your heart, I will understand you as well."
"Why daddy?"
"Because I'm in your heart, little one."
"How can you be in my heart if you are up there? I do not think that this is possible, no, no, no."
"You may be too young to understand my words for now but one day, I promise, you shall get the message."
"But I do not like to wait that long..."
"Maybe something that will always remind you of my words could help you to wait and see?"
"I do not know, daddy..."
"But I do. I'll always be in your heart, my sweet daughter. I hope this little present will help you to remember that."
Suddenly, a shiny stone appeared out of nowhere.
"T-thank you! It is pretty..."
But Ducky's Father was already gone, so was the light.
Ducky squeezed the stone against her chest, the present had made her very happy.
Planning to show the stone to her friends, she walked back to the cave entrance.

Petrie had chosen a place that was close to the vegetation. Though, like Littlefoot and Ducky, he had needed a while to figure out how to find his special light, he eventually did, soon realising that he was talking to his father.
"Petrie..."
"D-d-dad???"
"Petrie... my son."
"H-how me can talk to you? You dead..."
"Well, we're connected by heart, little one."
"Me no understand, dad."
"One day you will."
"One day... me wanna understand now."
"Oh don't worry, Petrie. Though you should be worried about your incapability of flying, you're an easy target..."
"Me know... me just failing everything..."
"You just have to believe in it... Trust yourself, Petrie, and be confident, then you're going to learn it easily."
"Me not so sure..."
"You need to feel it... in your heart."
"Huh?!"
"We're connected by heart, Petrie. Feel it in your heart..."
"Me gonna try, me guess..."
The light was gone.
"Oh, now you gone..." Petrie sighed. Trying to memorise his father's message, Petrie walked back to their meeting point but then he heard something drop to the ground. Petrie turned around to see what it was.
"ME SNUGGLING STICK!!!" he cried out very loudly. The Snuggling Stick was a spindly stick of Petrie's size that Petrie used whenever he felt sad or when he couldn't find rest at night. He grabbed it.
"Thank you, dad. Me love you lots!" Petrie whispered into the night. A star twinkled.
Squeezing his new gained item against his chest, the Flyer wandered back to the cave entrance...

Spike knew what he had to do. Sitting in the open field, he had a perfect view. In thoughts of his family, Spike closed his eyes and when he opened them again a bright light twinkled on the sky. Spike was happy that he didn't have to speak to communicate.
"Hello everyone..."
"Hello, my son." It was Spike's Mother replying.
"Hello mother, I sure missed you."
"So did I."
"Where is father?"
"Oh, he's bringing your siblings to the nest."
"Ah, right. Mother, you need to do me a favor. Rescue Cera, my threehorned friend, please."
"How could I possibly achieve that, my dear?"
"Well, there is a cure... I know you are only a spirit, only in my heart, but if I wish hard enough to get it I know that I can save Cera from a death I may be responsible for..."
Surprisingly, a pile of leaves appeared in front of Spike. Cera's cure...
"Thank you, Mother..."
"You're welcome."
"My son..." Now Spike's Father was talking.
"Father..."
"Be sure to eat enough!"
"Don't worry, I will."
"Now you better get some rest, my little one."
"Yes, goodnight, I love you!"
"So do we, night!"
The light disappeared. Spike grabbed all the leaves and walked back to the cave; carefully since he didn't want to lose any of those leaves...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think? :p

In the next chapter, the Gang is going to talk about their experiences and "presents"

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Interesting.  You went the supernatural route in giving the children assistance.  I must admit that I did not see this development coming.  I suppose part of the reason is because I only hint at possible supernatural elements in my story (the dying mother hearing chirping in the background as she dies, for example) and I leave it up to the reader to deduce if the event is actually supernatural or a hallucination.  There is nothing wrong with the way that you have handled this development, but it is certainly a different angle than what I am used to.   :yes

Now onto the scenes themselves...

The scene with Littlefoot and his mother was quite touching (how could it not be  :yes ) and I think that you kept the two dinosaurs in character.  Likewise, I absolutely love the echoes of the first movie: the giant treestar; "If you hold on together, nothing could break you apart..."; and "I'll be in your heart, Littlefoot... Let your heart guide you; it whispers... so listen closely."

Very nicely done.  :yes

Ducky gets a shiny stone.  How appropriate.  :p

Petrie gets his snuggling stick.  :DD

And Spike gets leaves.  :smile I think it is also a good twist that Spike seems the most receptive to experiencing the supernatural of all of the gang.  It fits with the view of Spike as being unable to understand certain things that others find easy, but at the same time being able to see things that others may be unable to see.  :yes

I also like how in the context of this story, this items that they obtained (the shiny stone, snuggling stick, etc.) will have actual sentimental value to them and will not simply be a sign of greediness (like Ducky's fixation on shiny stones in the TV series) or a sign of needed reassurance (Petrie's love of his snuggling stick).

Overall I feel that this was an excellent chapter.  I especially like how you surprised me with the turn that the plot has taken.  Keep up the good work.  :)

I only noticed a few things:

Upon a closer look, he realised that a treestar of perfect shape strived towards the ground. As soon as it had touched the ground, a puddle of water appeared in it.

"was falling" would work better here than "strived"

"Loud and clearly, my sweet daughter."

"Loud and clear"

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Haha, I knew you would like it ( btw I so need to review TSH asap  :bang )

Interesting. You went the supernatural route in giving the children assistance. I must admit that I did not see this development coming. I suppose part of the reason is because I only hint at possible supernatural elements in my story (the dying mother hearing chirping in the background as she dies, for example) and I leave it up to the reader to deduce if the event is actually supernatural or a hallucination. There is nothing wrong with the way that you have handled this development, but it is certainly a different angle than what I am used to. in-yes.gif
I thought a more spiritual approach on the subject of death would be the best choice. You seem to be in agreement with me :)

The scene with Littlefoot and his mother was quite touching (how could it not be in-yes.gif ) and I think that you kept the two dinosaurs in character. Likewise, I absolutely love the echoes of the first movie: the giant treestar; "If you hold on together, nothing could break you apart..."; and "I'll be in your heart, Littlefoot... Let your heart guide you; it whispers... so listen closely."
It was very funny the write this scene :smile The references to the Original fit so well into this scene that I almost used all that can be used here (if not all).

Ducky gets a shiny stone. How appropriate. dino_tongue.gif
I know :p She was so sad when she forgot hers in chapter 30 so her daddy gave her one.

Petrie gets his snuggling stick. dino_happier.gif
Originally, Petrie got nothing but then I happened to watch the episode where his snuggling stick was quite a plot :smile Well, it'll become important a few chapters later...

And Spike gets leaves. Dino_grins.gif I think it is also a good twist that Spike seems the most receptive to experiencing the supernatural of all of the gang. It fits with the view of Spike as being unable to understand certain things that others find easy, but at the same time being able to see things that others may be unable to see. in-yes.gif
Very true. My own idea was that Spike is the only one who doesn't act selfish in this chapter... The only aim he has in talking to his parents is receiving the leaves to save Cera.

I also like how in the context of this story, this items that they obtained (the shiny stone, snuggling stick, etc.) will have actual sentimental value to them and will not simply be a sign of greediness (like Ducky's fixation on shiny stones in the TV series) or a sign of needed reassurance (Petrie's love of his snuggling stick).
Again, well observed :)

Overall I feel that this was an excellent chapter. I especially like how you surprised me with the turn that the plot has taken. Keep up the good work. smile.gif
Yay, the surprised worked :lol: Thanks for the praise, means a lot and keeps me motivated to work on my stories :)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I...really like this chapter :yes!  I love the supernatural elements involved.  Way cool :D.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Love it,Ducky.

I love the supernatural thing you got going on.

So Mother will now be guiding Littlefoot? It like the first movie now! Expect the Great Valley is not the goal..

I hope Cera doesn't die,no no no.

Again I love the supernatural thingy ma jiggy,I love supernatural. I use it in my fic (which is pretty darn obvious in mine  :lol)

So sweet how they each got a present from their dead parent (though Spike's was Cera's cure).

I do find you're style a bit 'blocky' meaning each scene is just one block,I normally have a space everytime a new character speaks or talks and use a symbol like ~ or something when I'm changing scene or to a new set of characters, it just makes it a bit easier to read. But yours is not impossible to read,I can read it perfectly fine,it just I prefer the 'spaced style' over the 'block style' but again it's fine,unlike some who have the whole story in one big block..man that kills my eyes. Plus space makes your chapters look longer  :lol.

Overall,keep it up Ducky.You're doing great :exactly

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I...really like this chapter in-yes.gif! I love the supernatural elements involved. Way cool biggrin.gif.
Glad you liked it :)

I'm also glad that you liked it too, Nahla :)

I do find you're style a bit 'blocky' meaning each scene is just one block,I normally have a space everytime a new character speaks or talks and use a symbol like ~ or something when I'm changing scene or to a new set of characters, it just makes it a bit easier to read. But yours is not impossible to read,I can read it perfectly fine,it just I prefer the 'spaced style' over the 'block style' but again it's fine,unlike some who have the whole story in one big block..man that kills my eyes. Plus space makes your chapters look longer dino_laugh.gif.
Well, I personally prefer the style I'm using :angel It's not because it looks better (the style you suggest does indeed look better) but I get confused when I'm writing in this 'less blocky' style... If it annoys you, you should read my chapters on ff.net because there it is transformed into this 'less blocky' style automatically. I upload every Monday there and I'm about to have caught up with myself (the difference being a few chapters from here...).

This chapter comes a little delayed because I was too tired yesterday :smile Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 46: A spark of hope

Ducky was the first one to arrive back to Littlefoot; Petrie and Spike were in sight already.
"Hello Littlefoot," the little Swimmer girl cheered.
"Hey Ducky..." Littlefoot replied dreamily.
"Lookie what I got from my daddy!" Ducky called out in excitement.
"Huh?!" Littlefoot finally shook off his dreamy state of mind.
"It is beautiful, it is, it is," Ducky explained.
"Yeah... waitaminnit!" Littlefoot called suddenly. "Where did you get it from? Are there more of them out there?!?"
"Oh Littlefoot, I just said that my daddy gave them to me, hehehehehehe!" Ducky snickered.
"Oww, I'm sorry, Ducky. I was thinking about something my m... your daddy gave it to you?"
"Yep, yep, yep, we talked-ed," Ducky replied happily.
"Strange... I've been talking to my mother as well and I got this." Littlefoot pointed at the treestar on his back.
"A treestar? Why do not you eat it up, heh?" Ducky asked.
"Well, this leaf is special.. my mother gave it to me," Littlefoot answered.
"Oh, I see, heheheh," Ducky giggled.
"Wonder what Petrie and Spike got... "Littlefoot thought aloud.
"There! They are almost here, yes they are," Ducky exclaimed, jumping up and down in anticipation.
"Hi!" Petrie squeaked.
Spike greeted Ducky and Littlefoot the usual way... licking their faces.
"Hello Petrie, oh and hello... Spike! Cut it out, heheheh."
"Hi!" Littlefoot said smiling.
"Where you got stone, Ducky?" Petrie questioned.
"Her daddy gave it to her, that's how I come to hold this treestar as well," Littlefoot replied.
"Yes, yes, yes, my daddy said this should help me to remember his words to me, he did," Ducky explained.
"Oh, you talked to your daddy too?" Petrie asked in awe.
"Yep, yep, yep, you too???"
"Yeah, daddy told me things me no understand but me still happy me know now that he still there, somewhere," Petrie said.
"Our parents will always be in our hearts," Littlefoot recalled.
"Yeah," Petrie agreed. "He also gave me my Snuggling Stick..."
"What's a "Snuggling Stick?" Littlefoot snickered.
"It is a stick that is there to be snuggled, silly," Ducky replied cheerfully.
"Me need it when me sad or when me can't sleep."
"Ah, makes sense... sorta," Littlefoot said.
"Spiky, what do you have on your back, heh?" Ducky questioned.
"Look like leaves?" Petrie guessed.
"Hmm, Spike would most likely have eaten them already so they oughtta be special..." Littlefoot considered loudly.
"Spiky, you do not happen to have those leaves that can cure Cera on your back, do you, heh? Heeeeeeeeeeeh?"
Spike nodded, a broad smile was drawn into his face.
"You gotta be kidding!" Littlefoot exclaimed unbelievingly.
"Spiiiiiiike! You are a genius, yes you are!" Ducky called, overjoyed.
"We gonna save you, Cera, just like I promised," Littlefoot mumbled.
"We gotta hurry!" Petrie squawked.
"Oh yes, oh yes!" Ducky approved.
"I agree, let's go!" Littlefoot called.
The four dinosaurs walked into the dark cave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tension is growing ;)

The next chapter will be awfully short due to a very powerful cliffhanger that I just have to use... :smile

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah, cliffhangers.  I can't complain though, considering I am very guilty of using evil cliffhangers in my own fanfic.  I hope that Cera can hold on while the gang rush to her aid.  :yes

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ugh, writing is so slow again :bang

Well, enjoy "the cliffhanger" :smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 47: Alive or dead???

Littlefoot, Ducky, Petrie and Spike were having a conversation while quickly walking along the path that would lead them to Cera.
"How did you manage to get those leaves, Spike?" Littlefoot questioned.
Of course Spike wasn't capable of replying in a way Littlefoot would understand.
"You see... I didn't ask my mother to get the treestar, so I wonder if it's been similar for you..."
"Me got lotsa messages me no get and me got Sniggling Stick and me not asked for it," Petrie piped up.
"Hmm, I got my stone to remember my daddy's words, yep, yep, yep," Ducky stated. Though, I didn't ask for it either, nope, nope, nope.
"Did you ask your folks if you could have the leaves for Cera, Spike?" Littlefoot questioned.
The Spiketail nodded eagerly.
"Cera will be pleased to know that..." Littlefoot mused.
"Yeah, she in Spike's debt," Petrie told.
"Yep, yep, yep," Ducky assented.
"What exactly we do with leaves?" Petrie asked.
"Well, I think we need to cover the injury, yep, yep, yep," Ducky answered.
"Okay, and they'll cure the infection?" Littlefoot wondered.
"Yes, that is what they are there for."
"SPIKE! You no eat Littlefoot's treestar!" Petrie called as Spike was about to eat it. "It special!"
"That's right, Spike," Littlefoot said. "You better not eat it."
Spike rolled his eyes and continued to walk.
"We are almost there, we are, we are," Ducky called after a little while.
"Yeah... me wonder though what we do 'till Cera move again, if she do.." Petrie squawked.
"Taking any rest we could get, I think," Littlefoot responded.
"Yep, yep, yep! We need to be well rested-ed," Ducky jabbered.
"You're right, Ducky," Littlefoot stated. "Who knows when we'll find the next friendly place in this wasteland..."
"Or our mamas and daddys..." Ducky added.
"Yeah..." Littlefoot sighed.
"Well, then me know," Petrie replied. "Hey, there Cera!"
"Oh yes, yes, yes. I see her, I do, I do," Ducky called.
Indeed, they arrived at Cera not long after. Cera was still lying on the ground the way they had left her. Uneasyness and anxiety arised.
"Here we are," Littlefoot piped up, gulping. Cera looked pretty dead.
"Is she..." Ducky didn't dare to complete the sentence.
"She can't!" Littlefoot cried. "Is she still breathing?!"
"Me look," Petrie offered. He walked around Cera back to get to her thorax, put his hand onto the spot of Cera's skin where her heart was supposed to be and listened for any signs of life...  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I promise I won't be writing such short chapters ever again :angel

In the next chapter, you will find out what is going on with Cera...

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Urgh... The evil hadrosaur strikes again.   :lol Another cliffhanger.  Hopefully Cera is still in the land of the living...

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Remember that I'm following the overall plot of the Original... I hope you'll get the message (don't want to spoil anything...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 48: It's too late!

Littlefoot, Ducky and Spike gazed at each other. Anxiety was engraved into their expressions. Ducky cuddled up with Spike.
Petrie felt and heard nothing. Cera not only looked dead, she was dead. Or was it?
"Quiet, me need to listen..." Petrie called.
Littlefoot stopped walking around out of nervousness, Ducky stopped mourning and Spike stopped hyperventilating.
Petrie thought he had heard Cera breath but he wasn't sure. Waiting some more time, he neither noticed Cera's heartbeat nor any signs of breathing. The little Flyer didn't want to give up so early though. He climbed the Threehorn's neckshield and put his wings close to Cera's nostrils. If Cera was still alive - even if she was looking dead, she'd still breath every once in a while. Since her mouth was shut closed, she would breath through her nose if she still did at all. Petrie didn't notice anything too soon but the little Flyer didn't want to give up.
Ducky got increasingly teary-eyed. The tension tore her little heart apart. Spike did his best to prevent his friend from crying out loud but the little Swimmer struggled hard not to.
As Petrie didn't tell them anything, Littlefoot asked him after having nudged Ducky who had begun to sob audibly, still attempting to fight against the tears; a fruitless battle however.
"Hey Petrie, what's going on?" the Longneck spoke quietly.
"Me no think Cera dead but she not breathing.." Petrie responded shakily.
Spike gulped, so did Littlefoot.
"You're testing if there's any breeze, heh?" Littlefoot questioned.
Petrie nodded, concentrated on Cera.
"I hope she isn't... "Littlefoot fought against his watering eyes. "Y'know..."
"Me do what me can," Petrie stated.
"Please do not die... please do not die... please do not die..." Ducky begged, sobbing.
Spike placed his forelegs around Ducky. The Swimmer hugged Spike appreciatively.
"Pleeaaaaaaase..." she cried.
Littlefoot lost the struggle with the tears as well - Ducky's weeping was infectious. Spike began to allow his tears to flow too.
"It's alright, Ducky. I'm here," Littlefoot whispered, fondling the Swimmer both to console Ducky and to get consoled in return.
Petrie began to give up at last.
"Me no think she alive. Cera d-d-deeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaad!" Petrie cried, walking back to his friends.
"Nooooo..." Littlefoot lamented. To make sure Petrie didn't miss something, Littlefoot trotted to the body only to realise that Petrie was right. Cera's body was cold and unmoving.
"How m-many dinos-saurs are g-going t-to d-d-d-die?!? THEY DO NOT D-DESERVE IT!!!" Ducky screamed in wail. She hid under Spike's massive body.
"Me know, Ducky... world unfair!" Petrie sobbed but Ducky didn't hear him.
"I...I'll cover Cera's back nonethel-l-less," Littlefoot spoke in an attempt to stay strong. "Wanna help m-me?" he asked shakily.
"It is no use, Littlefoot..." Ducky bawled. She chose to search for a different place to cry than under Spike where it was unpleasantly warm.
"What shall we do with the leaves then?" Littlefoot countered.
"I do not care, nope, nope, nope!" Ducky shouted, walking away.
"Ducky! Where you going?" Petrie called after his friend, getting no response.
"I t-think she needs some t-time for herself to calm d-down," Littlefoot suggested, as Petrie tried to follow her. He started to cover Cera's back.
Petrie shambled to Spike. Both were crying.
After Littlefoot had covered Cera's whole back (the leaves emitted a gooey juice that made them adhere to her back), he plopped to the ground, not fighting back the grief anymore.

Ducky had walked through the cave blindly, in search for the place she went to when she had run off from the group to be left in peace the last time. The whole way, she was crying bitterly. She needed a while to find the place in the darkness, but eventually she did. Curling into a ball, she moarned about the loss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do not hate me :angel :bolt Everything's gonna be alright...

The next chapter will cover the aftermath of the situation the remainder of the Gang has now to deal with.

NOTE: If my writing won't pick up some speed soon, I'll change my schedule to uploading every two weeks instead of every week.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I really don't know what to say about the latest development.  :blink:  I am sure the aftermath of what has happened is going to be very difficult for all involved.  I will wait until I see the full implications of what has happened (or, at least, appears to have happened) before making any assumptions.

NOTE: If my writing won't pick up some speed soon, I'll change my schedule to uploading every two weeks instead of every week.

I am sorry to hear that writer's block has again reared its head.  Writer's block can be a treacherous thing.  Just out of curiosity, are you having writer's block for only this story or is it affecting both of your current fics?  If so, are you planning on moving "Shorty's Dark Past" to a 2 week posting schedule as well?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes, it's a general writer's block :( Though I just work more on my art lately and I'm more into reading fics than writing lately :angel Well, I'll try to sit down and work on it again as I have 4 days of free time now... The new schedule works for both fics so I'll update only one of them per week... so the update on the Shorty fic comes at Monday :yes My fanart still comes weekly btw :)

As for what happened... yeah, you should definitely wait two chapters or so :smile I can't say more. The aftermath will be subject of the next chapter (and I'm sure you can guess whom it is focussed on with that knowledge ;))

Thanks for the review  :exactly

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not liking the direction things just took in this latest chapter :neutral.  I know she'll be alright, and we'll have to wait and see what happens.  I wonder if Cera will have a near-death experience, like the ones people are always talking about on TV where they're heading down a tunnel toward a light and run into a deceased loved one who gives them guidance and tells them it's not their time yet before they come back to life.  Maybe her mother and sisters will be the ones who communicate with her, like what happened to the others recently?  I guess we'll just have to wait and see :p.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Let's just say that you have made some good points :) I feared you would take this hard and dislike the story but seemingly you got my hint.

Now heres the next one, a little sad but it's working towards something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 49: Cluenessless and despair

Spike fell asleep rather soon. Littlefoot, Petrie and Ducky couldn't.
Littlefoot considered what to do next. Cera's death was a tragedy, a setback. Everything would've worked if she had made it. Cera's temperament hadn't left much to be desired, yet Littlefoot was deeply upset. Though he seemed to recover best, along with Spike perhaps. The Longneck had feared another tragedy since he was aware of Ducky's fragile soul. The Swimmer had to go through far too much for a child such young. Littlefoot knew that that applied to him as well but for some reason he could recover after some weeping whereas Ducky couldn't. The memory of the Swimmer's last collapse was still present and Littlefoot knew that she had been suffering from her father's death and from the separation from the rest of her family the whole time, sometimes more, sometimes less. He had a feeling that she would collapse again, this time more severely though. He didn't feel well knowing she was somewhere all alone. She certainly had had some time to recover so maybe he should try talk to her now...
Littlefoot noticed that Petrie was awake as well. The Flyer lay on Spike's back, propping up his head with his skinny arms. He stared holes into the wall, single tears rolling down his beak occasionally.
"Petrie? Are you awake?" Littlefoot asked quietly since Spike was sleeping.
"Me awake..." Petrie responded down-heartedly.
"You alright?" Littlefoot asked compassionately.
"Me no know... me worried 'bout everything," Petrie croaked, wiping his tears out of his face.
"Yeah, I know how you feel... we all thought she'd make it. Everything seemed to become great in a couple days and now that..." Littlefoot sighed. "I dunno what to do next to be honest..."
"Me neither. Me no wanna think about it..."
"Well, we HAVE to do something... don't we?"
"Hmm..."
"I mean we can't just stay here... we need to find our folks!"
"Me know but me no know where they be."
"Nobody does, Petrie. We're all at a loss."
"Me wonder where Ducky is and if she alright?"
"Poor girl... I think somebody should look after her..."
"But she wanna be alone, me think..."
"When she had run off recently, she came back after a while so maybe she starts seeking for some company this time too?"
"She came back?"
"Yeah... cuddled up with me, cried a little and fell asleep soon after."
"Okay... can me go?"
"Sure Petrie, she ran that way." Littlefoot pointed to the path that would lead them out of the cave. "I'll consider what to do next."
"Sound good, me see you laters."
"Just be patient if she shrugs you off at first..."
"Okay!"
Petrie walked off.
Littlefoot tried to continue where he had stopped. They'd have to leave Cera's corpse behind to rot in the cave.  They'd have to move away from the cave, move away from the food, move away from Cera, forever...

Ducky couldn't stop weeping even though she desperately tried to... She remembered the last time she had given up and it wasn't pleasurable as she recalled. She already regretted running off since she didn't feel capable of walking back; her legs wouldn't obey her because they were too shaky.

Petrie eventually heard a familiar sound. Letting his ears guide him, he soon stumbled across the weeping Swimmer curled up on the ground.
"Ducky?" he whispered in order to not startle his friend.
"Hmm..." the Swimmer responded.
"You alright?"
"Nope, nope, nope..."
Petrie came closer.
"You ready to go back to others?"
Ducky shook her head which Petrie couldn't see in the darkness.
"Ducky?"
The Swimmer didn't reply. She attempted to calm down but it made everything worse...
"What on your mind, Ducky? Me can help?" Petrie asked, concerned.
"I feel s-so alone..." Ducky whispered.
"But me here so you not alone," Petrie squeaked.
"You do not understand..." she cried.
"Maybe me not need to..." Petrie sighed. "Me know what help you, gimme your hands, Ducky."
Ducky stretched out her arms towards Petrie and seated properly.
Petrie grabbed her hands and squeezed them tightly in a careful way though. Then the Flyer pulled her to her feet and put his hands on the girl's shoulders.
"No be so sad, Ducky," Petrie pleaded.
Ducky pulled Petrie close into a strangling embrace and cried her heart out. All the deaths, threats and problems were ultimately too much for the Swimmer's soul.
Petrie didn't know what to do but return the embrace and stroke his friends' back in hope that she would stop eventually. As her cries grew increasingly louder and more bitter, he tried to console her by whispering that everything would be alright but it only seemed to make things worse.
Ducky blubbered for about ten minutes. Petrie being emotionally assailable wondered how he was able to shrug off his own grief. Ducky's bawling made him feel so sad, so sorry for his friend. If only there was something he could do to lessen the pain she must be feeling.
The Swimmer's cries slowly faded away. When she was only sobbing a little, Petrie loosened their embrace and grabbed his friends' hands again.
"You feel better now?" he asked.
"Nope, nope... nope," Ducky sobbed.
"Awww, there anything me can do?" Petrie questioned, tenderhearted.
"Do not leave me, I f-f-feel so lonely," Ducky replied.
"Why me leave you? Me stay 'cause you my friend and friends help each other."
"I am crying like a hatchling all the time... Who would w-want to deal w-w-with me?"
"Me do!"
"Th-th-thanks Petrie!" Ducky freed her hands to smudge all the tears in her face. Then she plopped to the ground, being supported by the cave wall. Petrie sat down next to her, nestling up with her.
"You wanna talk 'bout anything?" Petrie asked.
"I do not care, no, no, no," Ducky answered. "Why would I want to talk anyway?"
"Well, my mama saying talking helps if you sad..."
"Okay... What should we talk about?"
"My mama saying talking 'bout the thing that make you sad."
"But then I will start to cry again and I do not want to cry, oh no, no, no!" Ducky protested.
"Me believe that wanted and you cry anyway sooner or later... possibly."
"Yep, yep, yep, certainly... I am still crying anyway..." Ducky said sadly.
"We try nonetheless?" Petrie asked.
Ducky considered, once more wiping the tears off her face that wouldn't stop rolling down.
"O-okay..."
"Good, uhm... what you feeling right now?"
"I do not know... I am very sad, and I miss my family, I do, I do."
"Okay uhmmm... What your biggest wish?"
"That everything is just a dream; that everything is like it was before..."
"Ohh, me wish that too but then we wouldn't be friends."
"Huh? Why?"
"'Cause we wouldn't have met probably."
"Even though I like you very much, I would prefer being with my family now, yep, yep, yep."
"Me... too."
Ducky sighed.
"I still do not understand why Cera has to die, no, no, no."
"Me no understand why anybody have to die..."
"It is unfair!" Ducky got to her feet in anger. "I want my daddy back, and Cera... and everybody else!"
"You know that not possible, Ducky," Petrie explained,  getting to his feet as well.
"But..."
"You can't change it, Ducky," Petrie emphasised.
"I know..." Ducky muttered, whimpering.
"It alright, Ducky, it alright, you no must cry," Petrie said in an attempt to prevent his friend from collapsing again but it was no use. The little Swimmer threw herself into Petrie's arms, crying after her mother which could be heard in the whole cave system. Petrie broke into tears as well, realising that he couldn't help Ducky by staying strong himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducky and Petrie again... They are so cute together and it was a lot of fun writing these passages despite the obvious sadness in them. I only hope I do not make it sound like I'd ship those two... I don't (though I'm generally not opposed to DuckyxPetrie).
Tell me what you think :)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That was a very touching chapter.  :yes The dialogue between Petrie and Ducky is very believable, as is the discussion between Petrie and Littlefoot.  I also like the inner monologue from Littlefoot as he is considering things that the rest of the group would be unwilling to consider, like this:

Littlefoot tried to continue where he had stopped. They'd have to leave Cera's corpse behind to rot in the cave. They'd have to move away from the cave, move away from the food, move away from Cera, forever...

he Longneck had feared another tragedy since he was aware of Ducky's fragile soul. The Swimmer had to go through far too much for a child such young. Littlefoot knew that that applied to him as well but for some reason he could recover after some weeping whereas Ducky couldn't. The memory of the Swimmer's last collapse was still present and Littlefoot knew that she had been suffering from her father's death and from the separation from the rest of her family the whole time, sometimes more, sometimes less. He had a feeling that she would collapse again, this time more severely though. He didn't feel well knowing she was somewhere all alone. She certainly had had some time to recover so maybe he should try talk to her now...

These quotes capture the pragmatic side of Littlefoot's nature quite well.  Even though I always think of Cera as the most pragmatic member of the group, Littlefoot combines this trait with his brand of idealism.  It is both interesting and haunting to see where his mind goes when no hope can be found.

A very powerful, if depressing, chapter.  Keep up the good work.  :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for your review :)

You pointed out things that I, admittedly, didn't even thought about when writing this. I just pondered how the respective chacaters might deal with thge situation. I'm glad that I seem to have portraited them right :)

Writing is still very slow. Though at least I have an idea how to continue since I last sat down to write. I only need some motivation and especially time. Since we have so great weather atm, I'm spending the better part of the day outside :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Update people :lol Writing is very good atm. I realise that because I plan out scenes, write two hours and I'm still nowhere close to it because there's so much inbetween; more thoughts the characters might have etc... Well, I'm currently only working on my Shorty fic but I have revamped some chapters of this one as well (only chapters not yet published, that is ;)) such as this one... It was originally shorter and I failed to see that soulcrushing cliffhanger (it was in the next chapter... stupid me :p).
So yeah, if this situation isn't going to change, I'll change my posting schedule back to "weekly updates on both stories" :yes
That being said, ENJOY! :smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 50: About Sensitivity and true Friendship

Littlefoot had been relieved when Ducky's cries had stopped eventually... However, he heard them again now - worse than the first time.
"I need to go after them," Littlefoot thought. He got to his feet, woke Spike to let him know where he was going and followed the sounds his ears were receiving...

When Littlefoot had found them, Ducky and Petrie were wailing bitterly, seeking comfort in each others arms.
"G-g-guys?" he piped up.
Nobody replied.
"Ducky? Petrie?" Littlefoot actually began to worry.
"Littlefoot... you need to... calm D-D-Ducky, me okay but she not," Petrie weeped.
"Okay," Littlefoot simply answered. Petrie had loosened their hug so he could look after Ducky.
The Swimmer first to find Petrie's warmth and comfort again but she noticed her other friend. "Oh Littlefoot, I am s-s-so happy to s-s-ee you, I am, I am," Ducky sobbed as Littlefoot was nuzzling her.
"I'm happy to see you, too," Littlefoot replied, giving the swimmer a weak smile that she, of course, couldn't see in the darkness surrounding them. "What's wrong with you, hmm?"
"I am a crying baby, am I not?" Ducky whined. The fact that she was always the one of them to cry first and hardest deeply aggravated her already tortured soul, making her cry even louder.
"Nah Ducky, you are not," Littlefoot assured. "Actually... she is right..." he had to admit.
"But why can you s-s-stay strong and I c-can not??? I d-do not understand, no, no, no..." Ducky countered, snivelling into Littlefoot's right fore leg which she hugged.
"Well, I think you're just being... sensitive, that's all," Littlefoot told.
"What sensitive mean?" Petrie squawked, having calmed down somewhat.
"I do not know, P-Petrie. I believe it m-m-means that I am easily affected by things p-people tell me or things I have to d-d-deal with, yep, yep, yep," Ducky said at a guess.
"Couldn't have worded it any better, Ducky," Littlefoot assured her, smiling a little.
"So... if you offended-ed me, I would be v-very sad, and if you said k-k-kind things to m-me, I would be very happy?" Ducky questioned to make sure she got that right.
"Yep, that's what being sensitive means," Littlefoot assured again.
"Well, that is good because maybe it helps me to deal with all this better if I remember this," Ducky said, not crying at all for the first time since she discovered Cera's death.
"Me told you talking help," Petrie piped up.
"Right, thank you for being such good friends," Ducky said and bestowed Littlefoot and Petrie a good old hug appreciatively.
"Whew, that was easier than I thought..."Littlefoot mused.
"You ready to go back now? 'Cause me reeeeaaaaaaaally tired," Petrie stated and yawned.
"I think so," Ducky replied. "I am tired too, yep, yep, yep."
"Want a ride? Shall I carry you two?" Littlefoot offered kindly.
"Oh yes, yes, yes, pleeeeeeaaaaaaaase," Ducky cheered.
"Me all for it," Petrie squeaked.
"See Ducky, you're already happy again," Littlefoot remarked, uttering a chuckle. He craned his neck down to allow the two small dinosaurs to crawl up his head and neck to his back where it was most comfortable. "Being sensitive doesn't only sadden you easier but it also helps you get happy again."
"You are right, Littlefoot, yes you are," Ducky awed, her eyes widening..
"Hehe, yeah. Ready to go back to our cave?" the Longneck questioned.
Both Ducky and Petrie gave their approval.
"Let's go then," Littlefoot suggested, carefully trotting back to their resting place. On the way, Ducky fell asleep, Petrie almost fell asleep as well.
Finally, Littlefoot arrived and carefully settled down not to wake Ducky. Exhausted from all the adventures they had been experiencing all day, Petrie and Littlefoot drifted off soon, sleeping in peace.

The Sharptooth eventually arrived at his interim goal, a small green area along the river. Leafeaters would be more likely to gather here than in the open desert that surrounded the place. So he hoped that those rotten kids would eventually stumble across him; or the other way around...

Pterano having recovered from Mr. Threehorns rude attack the other day enough to take off had woken up early in the morning so he had circled above the landscape to look for the kids but not much to his surprise they had been nowhere to be seen. Being fairly hungry, he eventually touched the ground next to the cave entrance. He noticed the many bite marks on the vegetation. Looking far too little to be made by a grown-up, Pterano concluded that the kids had been here to eat before wandering off to an unknown place into an unknown direction. Happy to have another proof of their relative wellbeing, Pterano got back to the herd. Maybe they would be interested in what he had to tell them...

Spike woke up early in the morning, his tummy roaring after food had woken him. Spike overviewed the scenery. Littlefoot was fast asleep, Ducky was curled up on the young Longneck's back and Petrie slept on his head; both were fast asleep as well, slumbering peacefully. Cera was still lying on the other side of their place, looking as dead as the day before. Somehow, Spike still had this odd feeling he was being responsible for her death for ramming into her during the fight. But what should he have done? At that point, he hadn't even been aware of the injury Cera had and moreover he had only rushed to Littlefoot's help who, otherwise, might have received severe injuries himself.
Spike looked at the Threehorn again and startled when he saw something that he believed to be impossible...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DUN DUN DUN!!! Here we go! :angel Hope you liked the rather emotional chapter and DAT cliffhangar *grins madly*

I believe you have a pretty good guess what *might* happen in the next chapter so I won't tell :angel