The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I actually really loved the Dear Princess Celestia at the end of the episodes those really helped me out a lot in my life. I took all of those life Lessons at the end of those episodes to heart. And because of those I've become a better person because of those Dear Princess Celestia's. I hope they add more in the fourth season.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Good picture you posted it looks like a new town from season 4.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe they, or someone, goes to visit a relative in this other town.  Who knows maybe the CMC, or applebloom, or others, go to visit with Babs in the town she's from.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Quote from: Petrie85,Jul 29 2013 on  09:30 PM
I actually really loved the Dear Princess Celestia at the end of the episodes those really helped me out a lot in my life. I took all of those life Lessons at the end of those episodes to heart. And because of those I've become a better person because of those Dear Princess Celestia's. I hope they add more in the fourth season.
So did I. I'm just saying that I like the change of pace and variety.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
Man, it's been a LONG time since I've been on this forum, with this thread in particular. Wonder how much has changed...

Oh, and on a topic of pony? Uh...I finally watched Equestria Girls yesterday. My verdict? It was a high okay. Nothing too bad about it, and I did like some parts, but the movie didn't particularly drag me in either.

PS: According to the website, the last page I read before I left was page 187. We are now up to 220. I have a lot of catching up to do...

EDIT: Good to see my avatar and signature are still in order  :p

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, to the haters, My Little Pony is so popular that the fandom even extends to the US Air Force.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...-Brony-Squadron

Yeah, you really want to mess with us?  I didn't think so. :)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I wonder what the drill sergeants think of there troops that like this show. And right back at you there. I also like some variety as well. It's good to mix it up a bit. And hey Bongo long time no see and chat. I'm glad you're back here on this forum. And I also agree theories was okay. The music was awesome and the story was decent as well. The whole demon thing really threw me off but it's okay. I think the ending was poorly done in my opinion. But other than that I gave it a 8.5/10 as a verdict.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've noticed that it seems some episodes, in my opinion, had quick endings.  Maybe one or a few of the writers are bad at writing endings, or maybe the run time of the movie was cut down at some point during production.  Though that does seem to come from nowhere when it seemed like they were in a no magic world.

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
I was a bit surprised when I saw the opening credits for Equestria Girls and recollected on the movie when it finished. Meghan McCarthy wrote three of my absolute favorite episodes in the show, in order from my favorite to most favorite: Party of One, Lesson Zero, and finally the Canterlot Wedding 2 parter. I absolutely loved the Canterlot Wedding episodes and still remains as my favorite, but it's interesting, or at least to me. The Canterlot Wedding had an approx. time span of 44 minutes, and Equestria Girls ran for 73. For me, the first 2 acts of Equestria Girls were the best, but the final act with anything after the Spike-Napping from the party became weak, stale, and a bit predictable for me.

I guess Meghan McCarthy is good at writing 2 parter episodes, but not 3 parter ones. That or maybe it just wasn't her A-game when writing the script. Which is really sad, because like I said before, the Canterlot Wedding episodes are still my number 1 favorite because of all the twists, surprises, and turns it could pull off. Some 2-parter episodes of the series I felt were lacking and needed a little more 'meat' to it so to speak (Friendship is Magic of Season 1). Some I felt needed more than 2 parts to fully develop the stores and characters (The Crystal Empire of Season 3). Some I felt needed to be a 2-parter in the first place (Magical Mystery Cure of Season 3). The Canterlot Wedding had perfect pacing and didn't have a rushed or slow feel to it. And the reveal of Queen Chrysalis was unexpected and made me love her every single minute she was onscreen. So my only guess is that Equestria Girls was a bit too long for its own good, as some elements felt as filler and unneeded, and those elements would have been cut for time in a 2 parter episode. That or make Equestria Girls longer to fully flesh out the development and story instead of padding it out with filler.

PS: Why is it always 3 days? 3 days until the big climax of any book, movie, TV show, or video game. 3! Why is it always 3!? Why must 3 always be the number of the counting, and shall be no less or no more than 3?

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Awesome pictures you posted right there. And the writing was okay but not the best writing in the world. The story was to rushed and they must have ran out of ideas for the end so they slapped the demon and the whole Sunset Shimmer wanting friends witch is false and so not true. She wanted to destroy the world and ponyville not make friends. The ending was horrible but the couple Derpy cameos made it better. Glad Derpy got some brief screen time.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Awesome pictures you posted right there. And the writing was okay but not the best writing in the world. The story was to rushed and they must have ran out of ideas for the end so they slapped the demon and the whole Sunset Shimmer wanting friends witch is false and so not true. She wanted to destroy the world and ponyville not make friends. The ending was horrible but the couple Derpy cameos made it better. Glad Derpy got some brief screen time. Did you like the songs Bongo?

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
My opinions on the songs? I'll give a quick breakdown.

Opening Remixed Theme Song - Visuals were pretty, I can give it that. The song however, just didn't catch my attention. It sounded much like every other Brony remix I've heard. Maybe that was the point and was a shoutout to all the Brony Remixes out there, but it just sounds like any other average Brony Remix song to me. What I really want to see used is either a huge orchestrated version, or even at least the Extended version shown on one of the DVD's.

This Strange World - The music didn't really catch my eye. I don't mind the pop-style of music in MLP, but that genre doesn't draw me in all that much. In fact, the songs that I really love tend to take on different genres you never really expected to see and hear in an MLP show. For example, two of my all time favorite songs from MLP, "The Flim Flam Brothers" and "This Day Aria" use genres that are so different and strange from the typical pop songs you would think to expect in a show geared towards little girls. How was it that the show was able to pull that off, but not the movie even though both are targeted towards the little girl demographic? Also some lines in the song seemed a bit forced to me, which was also a huge problem for me when I listen to "The Ballad of the Crystal Empire".

Equestria Girls - IT WILL FOREVER REMAIN THE SEASON 1 KATY PERRY PARODY...AS IT SHOULD OF ALYWAYS BEEN AND STAYED THAT WAY!!! In all honesty, I like the song, but only for a few specific parts.
- The opening part where the Mane 6 are just using their hand, feet, and cafateria stuff lying around to get a beat going. Reminds me a lot of the theatrical show 'Stomp'. In 'Stomp' the entire show is just a bunch of actors banging around junk like wooden brooms, metal trash lids, railroad spikes, to make beats, rhythms, and eventually songs. In one of my Drama classes in High School, we did a project centered around such a thing where a group was assigned a set of everyday household materials and had to make a beat out of them to span about a minute. This went on for about a week or so and then we had to preform it. I have fond memories of that lesson, so I really took the opening to heart.
- At around the 1:27 mark of the song, where each member of the gang has a solo to sing is nice. I really did like the part where the line "Generous, honesty - laughter, kindness, loyalty" is sung. Something about how Rarity and Applejack's lines sort of melted together was nice.
- The selling point of the song has to be the part after Twilight enters the scene, and the music in the background becomes nothing more than clapping and the Mane 6 are just singing acapella. The music then slowly starts to fade in and then the finale just comes in blasting away. I don't know why, but the way everything nearly goes silent while keeping the beat and then suddenly blasts into the loud and boisterous finale makes it seem all the more awesome.
The rest of the song falls into the same categories as 'The Strange World'. Unlike the previous song, however, the song has a few selling points that I would love to see again and again. The beat is very catchy and the lyrics don't sound too forced like 'The Strange World'.
...and I won't forget to mention how cool the choreography was...

Time to Come Together - Apply my same views of 'This Strange World' onto this, except I liked this song better than the former. The lyrics felt natural and the visuals were better to look at. I could look at Fluttershy being hit by a broom for a long time. Not because I hate her or anything, but the individual characteristics each and every one of them had just fit them so well.
This is Our Big Night - Apple the same said for 'Time to Come Together'. The reprise has a lot of nice visuals in it to look at.

A Friend for Life - The credit song. Reminds me a lot of how in the late 80's, 90's, and early 00's, the end credits of an animated movie most of the time had a 'Hit song' usually sung in a popular style of the time (Usually a pop ballad). One that came to mind easily was 'Where the Dream Takes You' from the end credits of Disney's 'Atlantis: The Lost Empire'. Even the original Land Before Time did this with 'If We Hold On'! :lol . Unlike LBT, Equestria Girls didn't have interesting credits to see. That's a thing with a lot of modern animated films today; their credit scenes have something to look at, and they keep you in your seat because you want to see them all. The only thing EQD had was a dancing Derpy at the end and that was it. Something like a photo album-esque type of slideshow or pictures of what happened after the movie with the EQG version of the Mane 5 +1. But no, we just get a normal pop song, black background and white scrolling visuals.

TL;DR - Okay but expected something different; Low okay; Pretty good due to a few key scenes; Okay but pretty to look at; Same at the last; Okay but expected a little more.

The music of Equestria Girls is okay for me. Aside from one song I won't get out of my head, the rest is just okay. It all seemed pretty general to me with everything muddled together. Aside from that one song, there were very little distinctions between the songs. I mean, look at the music of MLP! 'You Got to Share, You Got to Care', 'The Flim Flam Brothers', 'This Day Aria', 'Babs Seed', 'Raise This Barn', etc. All were written by the same guy yet all sound distinctly different from each other, and the distinction made them more memorable for me. Here, they just seemed like clones of each other. Very similar...

And I know that I have raged on about the pop music, but something about these pop songs didn't drag me in. In the show, 'Becoming Popular', 'Babs Seed', 'Love is in Bloom', and many more would technically count as pop songs in my book, but they just seemed to handle the genre better than what I heard. Of course that's just my opinion.

Those are my views on the music of Equestria Girls. Background music, however, still remains top notch, and I enjoyed listening to the little flourishes here and there.

PS: They seem to REALLY hate Fluttershy in this...

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm a minor fan of the reboot of Pound Puppies. And that's a cool latter. I'll have to check it out.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
On the most recent Bingo Board posted, I noticed one panel said "Equestria Girls Legit - 4Chan Quits".  What is up with the "4Chan Quits" part?  Any takers?