The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cera

Petrie. · 63 · 11228

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Discuss the character, Cera here.

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Let's see...

She's moody, bossy and a nice gal. Tough by the outside but soft from her heart.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll post my comments soon but I need to find a 2 hour block of free time to do it. :P: Hopefully tomorrow.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, so I'm slow! :p
Here we go:

Cera's character has changed a fair amount throughout the series.  I attribute this mainly to the change in directors between LBT 4 and 5.  Whether or not this change is for the better seems to be under debate.  

In LBT 1, we see Cera for the first time when she is hatching (see Pokeplayer's avatar :p ).  As a hatchling, Cera behaves in a way that I accept completely; we see her repeat her father's words to Littlefoot when he wants to play: "Threehorns never play with longnecks!"  
Progressively through LBT 1, Cera tries to both develop and show off her independence on others.  We begin to see a side of her where she feels, vulnerable, mortal, perhaps even a little bit outcast, when she wakes up in the middle of the night to see the rest of the Gang huddling together in a nearby footprint, some distance from her.  Cera is willing to be sensitive and internally strong enough to approach her friends, who let her in with welcome arms (literally).
Cera outcast herself in previous scenes, when she chose not to take part in the gathering of leaves from the tall tree.  I say "outcast" because she isolated herself from the gang's activities on purpose, in order to prove her abilites to survive by herself.  I think she was trying to prove this to both her friends, and to herself.

That being said, Cera seems to be the kind of character who likes to learn by trial and error, or "learn by doing".  She wanted to experience independence without completely thinking of the consequences of doing so.  In the case of LBT 1, these consequences were that she was willing to make certain social sacrifices.  Perhaps she Did think of it, and perhaps Cera, as a hatchling, wasn't comfortable being sociable with other species.  This, in combination with Cera's wanting to show her intependence, resulted in a character who ultimately learned that she still had some growing up to do.  

Cera made some interesting decisions in LBT 1; some of them good, some of them poor.  She chose to take the wrong path in the brambles early in the film, where Sharptooth immediate caught up them.  However we don't know where the other path led so we can't judge this to be a definitely good or poor decision.  

The scene where Cera headbutts the downed Sharptooth demonstrates a trait of Cera that could be considered egocentric.  After all, she is demonstrating that she is superior by kicking her 'enemy' when he's down; walking all over him, so to speak.  She acted in a similar manner when she was angry with Littlefoot when the Great Valley wasn't over the cliff.  

Generally, Cera felt that she had every right to express herself when she felt superior to her opponent, either by sticking her tongue out at it, hitting it, laughing at it, walking over it, or plowing through it. :lol

Cera's character was a complex arrangement of elements, many of which were clearly demonstrated throughout the first film.  The audience observed a character who was attention-seeking (ex. "I was all alone with him in the dark, just the Sharptooth and me..."), yet self-isolating (ex. "I can get my own green food").  Her pride and desire to be right was one of her top priorities externally, but her internal desires were simply to be accepted and safe(ex. when she went the 'wrong way' she felt as though she had lost the respect of her friends, and became depressed.  Another ex. The sharptooth footprint sleeping scene).

We see quite a bit of Cera's growth in LBT 1.  As a hatchling, Cera wanted to show off her abilities to survive on her own, and more importantly (to her), demonstrate her superiority over longnecks.  I suppose her liking of longnecks didn't improve much when the herd of longnecks gobbled down nearly all of the food at the small grove of trees they found. :P: By the end of the film, Cera was concerned about more mature matters, such as her relationship with her friends and working together to reach the Great Valley, not to mention celebrating it together when they finally made it.  I don't expect Cera to be extremely mature at this point in the series, but her growth and her family (ie. being a threehorn) makes her a very promising and potentially character in the future,

By the end of LBT 1, Cera certainly has respect for various species, and I suspect she learns more respect for them by spending time in the Valley, between LBT 1 and 2.

Regarding continuity, LBT 2, 3 and 4 seem to continue the basic traits of Cera from LBT 1 quite nicely overall.  

I will continue this topic shortly but I have to go to bed.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
After watching the "brave Longnech Scheme" today ( and I'm suprised Ali and Chomper haven't been discussed yet) cera seemed very open to Ali. As many who remember watching LBT 4 she was initially very jealous of Ali. Cera played a lead role in organizing the scheme, and ran it to perfection,, except when rhette reacted by bringing the herd after Chomper..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Apr 16 2007 on  01:52 PM
After watching the "brave Longnech Scheme" today ( and I'm suprised Ali and Chomper haven't been discussed yet) cera seemed very open to Ali.
I noticed that as well. I thought that was somewhat out-of-character for Cera, but Ali was much more open - if I remember correctly, she didn't freak out and hide when she saw Chomper.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think Ali was TOO open to chomper. It would have made much more sense for Ali to be scared of Chomper, plus it would have made thier meeting (which brought together the 2 most famous guest character in the LBT series) far more interesting. And more in line with her character from LBt 4.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Teresa

• Chomper
    • View Profile
i like cera more now than i used to. What i hated was wen they were hiding from something or cera was being smug and she would say "heee" the alligator in film 4 wouldn't have know they were there if she hadn't said it. Glad she doesn't do it anymore. I love her singing voice. especially in film 12 when she sings "Things change" although i've loved alot of songs Anndi McAfee has sung she has a wonderful voice.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
What i hated was wen they were hiding from something or cera was being smug and she would say "heee" the alligator in film 4 wouldn't have know they were there if she hadn't said it.
It is interesting that there is a small but important difference in the German version of the movie. While in the English original Cera says "heee", apparently gleeful that Dill is going to let Ichty have it, in the German version she utters a frightened sound very much as if she would dread the possibility that Dill might kill Ichty. I don't expect Cera to be very sympathetic towards Ichty, so the English original might match Cera's character better; then again an unintentional startled sound may come across as less smug and stupid than an expression of glee loud enough to turn Ichty and Dill on the gang once again.
I love her singing voice. especially in film 12 when she sings "Things change" although i've loved alot of songs Anndi McAfee has sung she has a wonderful voice.
:yes all too true! Her voice is beutiful!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Apr 16 2007 on  01:52 PM
After watching the "brave Longnech Scheme" today ( and I'm suprised Ali and Chomper haven't been discussed yet) cera seemed very open to Ali. As many who remember watching LBT 4 she was initially very jealous of Ali. Cera played a lead role in organizing the scheme, and ran it to perfection,, except when rhette reacted by bringing the herd after Chomper..
Well, I think Cera owes Ali alot for saving her life.  In fact, it wasn't until Ali did just that that Cera started being more open to her.

However, at the beginning of the movie where the gang first met Ali, she was open to becoming friends with Ali, but went against it when Ali made Littlefoot play without them.  I think Cera felt left out and that is what led to her distrust in Ali for a good portion of the movie.

So, she is rather open to Ali because of the debt she will never be able to pay, and the least Cera can do is be the best friend possible to her. :^.^:

For all we know, Cera might care about Ali enough to see her as a surrogate sister.  Which might explain why she cared about who Ali hanged out with nearly as much as Littlefoot does. :)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Reading some of the negative comments from other topics regarding Cera has prompted me to post this reply :mad .  In my opinion, Cera seems to be the most misunderstood out of the gang.  She has no one to back up her arguments, and consequently comes across to viewers as some mean-spirited brat (speaking in G-rated terms).  She has built up a fortress around her true personality as a means to appear invulnerable.  She seems to want to be accepted among her friends, although she evidently already is.  I learned the hard way that there are few people out there who can be truly trusted, and I believe that is why Cera is the way she is.  When one looks past her gruffness, they can see she is very sweet, cares for others and just wants to have friends she can count on.  Given that the gang don't appear to be all that old, Cera probably has a long way to go before she will ever learn to curb her temper :yes .  On another note, Cera is realistic, down-to-earth, and actually quite a comical character when she throws in her sarcasms :lol .  In a nutshell, I just love her personality and would'nt want her to behave in any other manner :) .

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I second that one. I certainly wouldn't want her personality to change either.
There are a couple of scenes which support your view on Cera; scenes that is in which Cera lets down the walls she built up. There are several examples in LBT 3 (a movie in which Cera has to deal with her fathers racism more than in any other sequel), in LBT 5 (when she admits that she has been wrong about Chomper), and in LBT 9 (she admits being jealous). I'm sure there are more examples, but these are the first that spring to my mind.
Especially LBT 5 is also a good example for what you described as Cera's being realistic and down to earth. The matter was recently mentioned in another thread: Cera is made look rather unfriendly in LBT 5, but can she really be blamed for acting the way she did?
After all she had good reason not to feel all relaxed in the presence of a sharptooth they had known for just a few hours and his parents who had attempted to eat them before. Trusting or not trusting Chomper was not a "try and error" matter, for error would have meant death. Who can blame Cera for being careful? It almost looks like one could blame Littlefoot for mustering not the tiniest bit of understanding for the concerns of Cera and the others. Of course he turned out right in the end, but neither he nor anyone else could have been absolutely certain about that. Cera's realism is often a kind of antipole to Littlefoot's idealism. LBT is a somewhat idealistic world though which is why Littlefoot usually turns out to be right in the end. I think it would be an interesting theme for a story to have Littlefoot's long neck saved by Cera's skepticism about something (or rather someone) Littlefoot feels enthusiastic about. In LBT 7 we have Littlefoot equiped with a "good instinct" that sounds the alarm bells in the presence of Pterano. From what we have seen up to then he would be just as (or even more) likely as Petrie to fall for someone who doesn't deserve any trust.
Anyway, I'm getting of topic, so back to Cera. I think she is the character who "improved" the most during the sequels. While none of the others show any trace of racism, there is no real indication that there is any pressure on any of them from their relatives (Littlefoot's mother accepted the segregation and so, presumably, did his grandparents, but there is no hind that they were ever wholeheartedly supporting it), while Cera has to stand up to her own family to meet her friends. In LBT 2 she is the first to welcome Chomper after he saved them (again who could blame her for loosing some of her enthusiasm for him after he bit her?), in LBT 4 she does not hold any reservations against Ali until Ali comes out with her own racism, in LBT 9 it is not Mo's kind but Cera's jealousy that turns her against him, in LBT 10 she almost ridicules her fathers racism ("Longnecks save the world! This is gonna kill my Dad!") and makes friends with Shorty immediately.
Looking at these facts Cera seems a lot more "easygoing" than she would probably admit herself to be ;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She may be more easygoing, but much of her personality is due to her father, and maybe mother's, influence from when she hatched to when they were separated from their parents and had to go the the great valley on their own.  Since then her father has still been influencing her personality, but the presence of Littlefoot and the others will likely continue to blunt her father's influence, and since they have her father's new mate it may be a bit more blunted, though less so perhaps.  

Also part of her personality is likely from when they made Littlefoot.  Parts of her personality were likely modeled, at least initially perhaps, on being the opposite of Littlefoot's, to an extent.  An easy way to make a second character, not a bad way, just makes things easier then otherwise it would be.  She seems to have changed since the first movie.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Cera....

This character is definitely not one of my favorites. For me, it's more on a personal level as to why I don't really care for this character. I have been around a lot of people that were too much like Cera (bossing me around, being arrogant, stuck up, etc.). Secondly, she's a loud mouth, which makes me cringe every time I hear her voice. And I just want to shut her up. Also, she has A LOT of my negative qualities. Such as pride, to other people I may look as though I have everything together and my life is in order, when really I want something more and I feel misunderstood.

Now I'll start with a more positive light about this character. :) I have grown to like her a bit more and cut her some slack. Mostly because her "shell" is influenced by her father, who is stubborn, conservative, annoying, and argumentative. I like her because she also is strong and she actually does care for her friends, she simply feels as though she has to hide who she really is because in her mind, her friends may not really like her for who she is. This may also show that, she hasn't accepted herself for who she is as well.

However, I really do think she needs to lighten up a bit more. The annoying thing is. I don't think the director of LBT will ever think of making a movie or t.v series about these characters getting older and such. I think they are going to make them remain kids forever. :blink:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
OMG!  I can't believe I've never posted in this thread before. :o There must be another Cera thread out there.......I thought I replied to a thread like this before.....Anyway:

Cera is not my favorite character, but she is the character with my favorite personality.  Not that I'd want a personality like that, but I still like it.  She's pretty competitive, however I find it strange that she doesn't compete with Littlefoot for the permanent leadership position.  I mean, she may argue her point from time to time, but Littlefoot usually gets the last word.  She is kind and compassionate but doesn't want ANYONE to find out about that side of her.  This shows that she has a strong heart and doesn't let her father totally corrupt her.  Most children that grow up in that kind of environment usually either become rock hard b******* or really timid, but Cera has maintained her own personality regardless of her fathers influence.  I believe she's pretty much tricked him unconsciously and justifies it to herself by saying that she is just trying to be like her father when she really isn't.  I would say that Cera is the most mature of the gang, which is consistent with what they told us about her about being the oldest in LBT 5.  She has the least kid in her, but she still goes along with her friends.  I would imagine that in between the movies 1 and 2 she was reluctant to become permanent friends with the rest of the gang but it was pretty much her best choice over other threehorns considering she doesn't really have the 'normal' threehorn personality that she constantly tries to emulate.  I get the impression that she is hurting inside, trying to be like everyone expects her to be.  I believe that she is beginning to realize that she can be herself around her friends, which increases her bond with them and their bond with her.  You can already see that she acts a lot different around the other adults than she does around her friends, even if the adults aren't one of their parents (such as the yellow bellies in LBT 13).  I truly believe that Cera could have had the heart of Ducky if it was nurtured when she was growing up.  It is still possible to reverse her hardened heart at the early age she's at, but not completely.  I really hate her father for that and he should be ashamed of himself. :angry:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She likely would have grown up to be like her father if not for the influence of her friends, and then once they are in the great valley the others who also live there and later perhaps Tria.  Her father likely never had any of those influences as he grew up.  The closest was Tria but it's likely her family moved away so her influence on him was non existent.  Over time these other influences will likely insure that she will not grow up to be exactly like her father, but she will likely retain some of the influence from him and likely her mother was the same, considering how Cera acted early in the first movie.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I disagree in some respects with your point of view Austin. Of course Cera would have been a different type of character if she had been brought up in a more tolerant way etc. However, Cera was kind of a "fighter" from the very beginning (charging her parents and siblings before she even got rid of the eggshell). The sequels probably make us forget about (and sometimes contradict) the point of the original movie that there had NEVER been such a herd as mixed as that which the gang of five formed before. And if we assume that basis, that this never happened before (or at least was almost unheard of) I think it is kind of unfair to shift all the blame onto Tops who tried to rise his daughter in a way that he felt was best suited to make her survive in a harsh, hostile environment. Once he was out of that hostile environment he gradually grew to accept the new situation.
But when speaking of "blame" here; is that even a proper term for us as the audience? Who of us would prefer a Cera with a character like Ducky's (this is not a rhetorical question)?
I guess if we had just perfect personalities and stainless characters the stories would soon become even more kidified (and I don't recall anyone ever stating that he or she would cherish that development). It is in my opinion a benefit of LBT that (unlike in case of some other shows) the heroes do have weaknesses and flaws and I think it is very good that they picked a female character as the stubborn fighting spirit for a change. Very recently it was mentioned in another thread that people disliked Ducky's being used as the "damsel in distress" or the "underdog" all the time. Would we, in spite of that, rather have Cera as another damsel in distress? Or would we rather have her as reasonable as Littlefoot thereby eliminating many possibilities for interesting story elements which are based on the differences of these two characters?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I...don't think Austin (if that's Landbeforetimelover) ever said he wanted Cera to be like that. He just said that's what he thought she would have turned out to be.

But you are right, A Ducky-esque Cera would be lame. Who else would shut Petrie up when he goes on one of his pro-flyers or pro-sungod rants? (BTW, according to that mother-post Adam's got pinned in the 1988 sction, we can thank George Lucas for Cera being a female.)

Also, something I've been curious about, and Malte reminded me, the quote that such a mixed tribe had never been seen before, didn't LBT 7 show the parents traveling in a similar herd? It was certainly more varied than Littlefoots [/offtopic]

EDIT: Stupid typos. The bane of my existence.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ That's one of the cases where the sequels contradict the original movie. It may not be a total contradiction though as it was mentioned that there had never been such a herd before. Even if the grownups joined up with each other around the same time as the kids did (plausible if many herds and families were scattered) it would not change the fact that there had never been such a herd before.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Ah, I get it. So if the adults formed up after the kids, then the line still works. The record didn't last very long, though.