The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 172987

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
...Hmm...what are "gray-noses" and "crown-heads"?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In two land before time books of the original movie a scene is included which is often referred to as the oasis scene. This is the scene as described in the land before time book "The land before time -The illustrated story":
A long time passed and the brave little group was getting more tired and hungry with each plodding step. At least they left the mountains behind. Now they were in a hot, sandy desert.
"I tired," moaned Petrie. "Way to Great Valley too great way."
"We're almost there," cried Littlefoot. "Don't give up now."
Suddenly Spike became alert and sniffed the air.
"He must smell food," said Ducky. "It's the only thing that would wake him up."
Spike snorted and galloped over a small hill. The others followed, staring in wonder at what they saw. There was a small spring of water surrounded by a group of thin gray-noses (Another word for Ducky's sort). Near the spring but standing apart was a cluster of trees full of delicious-looking green-food, surrounded by a group of fat crown-heads. Littlefoot and the others raced down the hill, yelling and cheering. But they got closer, they saw the hard looks on everybody's face, and the cheers died in their throats.
A stern-looking gray-nose came up to them and said, "What do you want, little ones?"
"Food!", Littlefoot cried.
"And water, yep, yep," Ducky added.
A fat crown-head waddled up and said, "No food!"
"You may drink," said the grey-nose to Ducky. "You are a big-mouth like us. But," he continued pointing at the rest of the group, "no water for them."
"But they need drinks, too!" Ducky protested. They're my friends."
"These are your friends?" said the fat crown-head. "A threehorn? A longneck, a spike-tail and" - he pointed to Petrie - "and whatever that is."
"Yes, run away quickly," said the grey-nose to Ducky, "before spikes and horns grow on you."
Cera couldn't believe what she was hearing. She had never realized before how foolish it was to dislike someone just because he looked different. All she knew now was that they all needed food and water. She reared up her head and said firmly, "We're hungry! All of us!"
The thin grey-nose stared at her. "And so are we," he finally said.
"Then why don't you share the water with the crown-heads?" said Littlefoot. "And they could share the food with you. Then you wouldn't be hungry and they wouldn't be thirsty."
"No, no, no," said the crown-head and the grey-nose at the same time.
"Well, if you don't change your minds, all of you will die," said Cera.
"Why don't you like each other anyway?" Ducky asked.
"The crown-heads are from the other side of the swamp," said the gray-nose.
"I don't see anything wrong with that," said Littlefoot.
"This is silly. I'm hungry," cried Cera. "Let's go somewhere else to look for food together." And with that the small group marched away. The grey-nose shook his head. "I'll never understand those young ones," he said. The crown-head nodded and went back to guard the food.
A shorter version of the same scene is in the book "Friends in need":
They finally came through the ash storm into a bleak desert. They were all terribly tired, hungy, and thirsty.
Spike suddenly sniffed the air.
"What is it, Spike? Food?" Cera cried.
"Maybe it's the Great Valley!" yelled Ducky.
Spike just snorted and ran over a nearby hill. Following him close behind, the others reached the far side of the hill and looked down on a green oasis with trees and water. But something was wrong. A bunch of thin gray-noses were guarding the water, and a bunch of fat crown-heads were guardng the trees.
"Can we eat and drink?" asked Cera.
"Only our own kind can eat," said a crown head.
"Yes," said a gray-nose. "And only our kind can drink."
"Why don't you share the food and water with each other?" asked Littlefoot.
"No, no, we can't do that," said the gray-nose and the crown head together. "Gray-noses and crown-heads are different from each other."
Cera didn't believe her ears. "Well, then, you will all die," she said. "Let's leave and find our own food and water!"
After searching and searching, all they found was a deep rocky crater. Cera's words seemed empty. Cera insisted on following her own path to the Great Valley. "No!" cried Littlefoot. "We have to stick together or we'll all fail - just like those crown-heads and gray-noses back there."
From the illustration gray noses seem to be Ducky's kind and Crownheads would be Pachycephalosaurus.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Interesting that the books you have mention scenes that were not in the movie. I wonder why that scene wasn't in the official movie.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
So do I. I suspect it was cut to make the movie appear lighter. There have been several indications that the original concept meant LBT to be a somewhat darker story than it ultimately became.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Well, after reading the scene it wouldn't made the film more darker. But it can help viewers to see how that helped the protagonists to be stronger in their acceptance of others, and how with cooperation everybody can get the goal of survival.
 Thanks Malte, I had no idea about that scene and I would love to have it seen in the movie.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The scene itself is not too dark, but it would have been a reference to the racism which would have probably been a lot more in the focus of a darker version of LBT. Note that the references to such earlier concepts are somewhat vague. I guess much of the dark stuff removed would be Sharptooth scenes which were considered to be too scary for kids.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some of the cut scenes would have made the movie even better.  Some of the cuts seem overly obvious, to me at least that at least a scene is missing here and there.

arrogantrex

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Yes, I read once that Bluth had planned on things being a bit more realistic whereas blood and general things in the gore direction were concerned. Not that I'm sure of any of these things, or that even the gore was going to be anything truly drastic. I also read that some of the audio of the film had to be rerecorded multiple times to make the children's screams less horrific-sounding. May sound weird to some, but I would honestly like to hear some of the outtakes just to get a good glimpse of what Mr. Bluth had in mind.

And in a more hopeful line of thinking, with the anniversary coming up, it would be nice to see an uncut Land Before Time available on DVD...

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: arrogantrex,Jan 27 2008 on  05:15 AM
And in a more hopeful line of thinking, with the anniversary coming up, it would be nice to see an uncut Land Before Time available on DVD...
I would like that.

Unfortunately, the missing scenes are likely to be permanently lost. But we can still dream.

Quote from: Wikipedia on  
In fact what actually happens in the scenes is not known because Don Bluth says that the scenes have been thrown away.
Although there is a tag that states "citation needed", I'm fairly confident that the writer is right.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And also guess at some of the missing scenes from the scenes before and after the cut.  The fine details one may not be able to guess but at least the general stuff that may be in the cut scene.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Apparently there was a scene of Ducky pulling faces at Sharptooth to provoke it into pursuing her. The terror in Ducky's face on the second picture suggests that it worked, but better than Ducky had hoped it would. I wonder why they cut out this scene. Presumably it was considered "too scary for kids".

I agree on the "too scary for kids" comment.  That shot of Ducky even scares the pants off of me when I think about that :blink:.  She expresses a look of pure terror, which is a very frightening expression for one to see :(.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not like there weren't any other scenes in the movie where Ducky is looking horrified. Personally I would have preferred to see the scene left in. I would love to see the scenes produced but never shown, but I'm afraid it is rather uncertain whether or not those scenes still exist (catching dust in some archive) or if they were destroyed :(

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Know what?
As for information on the deleted scenes, you best look on the first page of this thread for pictures, information, and sources.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
oooow, sorry for posting this,

i'm such a stupid guy, :bang

Zilla

• Ruby
    • View Profile
This clip has what seems to have been the original final scene for the movie. Many believe it is from the rumoured "heaven ending"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NMkxN7ylrYI

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This issue upset me so bad.  I read on Wikipedia that not only the Good Scenes were Cut out they were thrown away.  That person deserve a slap for doing that.  But it couldn't be helped.

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
They shouldn't cutted out those scenes from the Pizza Hut Commercial they look like they could really make the Land Before time movie better.   ;)

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah but some Stupid Creditors had to complain about it being so scary for the young audience and the movie being so long.  At least that is what I read.