The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

American history game

Malte279 · 849 · 64298

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I just thought of it....we had a big stake in Panama and we actually owned the canal until 1999....might it be Panama?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No, in the 1870's Panama was still part of Columbia. It didn't gain its independence until 1904.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It was the Dominican Republic, the vote in the Senate was 28-28, 1 vote short of passage.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess you just post another one since nobody figured out your last one. ;)  Try to keep it a little more simpler I guess because I don't think there was any way we would have figured that one out. ;)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Alright, I keep forgetting that I know more about US history than most people. I'll try to make the questions easier. What was Woodrow Wilson's re-election slogan(note the events in Europe at the time)?
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Off the top of my head, I know it has to do with isolationism and staying of out Europe's problems because I recall the chant "He kept us out of war."

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That's it. 'He kept us Out of War' was his slogan. He won re-election by a narrow margin, but declared war on Germany in 1917. Your turn Arvens
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Perhaps this year in 20th century American history was our most dire year as it easily could've seen the end of the nation.  Name the year, and the event that could've possibly destroyed our country, had it been taken to the next level.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
1962? The Cuban Missile crisis? Taken to the next level it would have probably destroyed more than "just" the United States.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Of what did president Dwight D. Eisenhower warn in his farewell address to the nation? (A speech which I consider very important).

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Oh, boy this is on the tip of my tongue, and if I don't put something on the table now Nick's going to get when he comes on again. :P:

I think it's something about being prepared for a rough future in regards to the missle stockpiling versus the Soviet Union....

Darn...I know I've heard this before..... ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It was not so much the Soviet Union he warned of, though it had to do with it. Still my pessimist side thinks that the warning in that speech is still VERY up do date, which is one reason why I broach the subject. They did talk about this speech in the US history lessons during my students exchange.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The proliferation of automic weapons due to the arms race?
nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No, it was more basic, but nothing less important a warning.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Don't start a battle you can't win or would bring destruction of allied partners?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No. It was more like a warning of a thread from within. A danger not entirely caused by other countries or their weapons.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hmmm.....I think you can tell by now I don't really know the answer. :P:  I'm going out on a limb here--something that really became a problem around then had to do with human equality and social justice...is it that?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good guess,. I don't know if that's right, but Its still a good guess.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quoting from Eisenhowers farewell address:
Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peacetime, or indeed by the fighting men of World War II or Korea.

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United States corporations.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence – economic, political, even spiritual – is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

I think that this warning is still very much up to date if one considers who funds election campaigns and who profits from some unpopular policies of governments.