The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outdated DRM renders old games unplayable

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You guys wanna hear a funny story?  Once upon a time, I really enjoyed playing Flight Simulator 2004 (as some of you no doubt may remember).  Then, a few months ago, Microsoft released an automatic update (turned out to be the same horrid piece of garbage that produces the "upgrade to Windows 10 right now or else" nagware) and Flight Simulator suddenly stopped working.  After researching online, I found many other people having the same problem with their old games.  Come to find out, the game used a DRM program that was apparently causing security problems, so this new Windows update basically killed support for the software, rendering any game that uses that DRM software unplayable.  In order to make the game playable again, I had to download a cracked patch for the game that allowed me to play without the CD, thus bypassing the DRM altogether.  The game now works again.

Anyway, I am chuckling at the irony of having to pirate a copy of an old game because my legally-bought copy no longer works because of outdated copyright protection.

On a side note, I deleted the update that caused the initial problem, thus ridding myself of the "Update to Windows 10 or we'll burn your house down" nagware as well.  yeah, I think my next computer is gonna be a Mac.  In the immortal words of Darth Vader, you have failed me for the last time, Micro$oft.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Think I'll go over to Manjaro instead.   I plan on using it on another hdd and try it out for a bit and if I like it switch fully over.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I use XP so there are no updates to nag me.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wooow, that's awful!!  :bang

In a similar vein, I own a couple of games which are no longer playable because their online servers don't exist anymore and they're online-only. Always heartbreaking to see video game history just disappear like that. :(

R.I.P. Auto Assault.