The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT 11's Opening Piano theme

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've heard a number of people now mention how much they liked the piano (or the music in general) of LBT 11's opening scene.  I was just wondering, who would be interested in the piano sheet music for this scene?  If there is any interest, I can write it up pretty fast (I'll probably distribute it in PDF format for easy reading and printing).

If there is interest in an mp3 of the music, without sound effects, I can write this up as well but it will take more time.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Done!

The sheet music to the the piano section of the opening of LBT 11 can be downloaded in PDF format here:
(may have to right-click and say "Save target as...")
LBT 11 Piano

The MIDI file of this sheet music can be downloaded here:
LBT 11 Piano MIDI

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Very basic, but very nice!  Great job!  Thanks a lot!  Keep them coming!

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Very basic, but very nice! Great job! Thanks a lot! Keep them coming!
Thanks a lot.  It is very basic but the version found in the movie is just as basic.

it's in Bb minor then? I like that key
Right you are, Bb minor / Db Major! Because it's in such a weird key, this music is a little tougher than it would be otherwise to just pick up and play but it does sound nice if you get it going.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Thanks a lot. It is very basic but the version found in the movie is just as basic.

Hmmm.  Well that could be.  I wouldn't know.  I've only seen LBT 11 maybe three times. :P:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, technically LBT 11 does have more sounds than just the piano.  Here's an mp3 recreation of the music from LBT 11.  It's still a work in progress.  I wrote this by listening to LBT 11 over and over again, and writing down what I heard.  It's not complete yet but you can hear more of the depth in the music.

(may have to right-click and "save target as...")
http://action9000.homeip.net/Backup/Shared...1%20Opening.mp3

I just intended to write sheet music for the piano part though.  The full orchestral score is generally less important to the fanbase than piano sheet music (unless somebody requests it, then I'll consider it :p)

Unknown Person

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Wow, that is very nice.  I'm curious to what program you used to making the sheet music in a PDF and the midi and mp3, if you used one.  I've been searching for something like that for a very long time.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, that is very nice.
Haha Thanks! :)  I've been doing things like this for awhile.

I'm curious to what program you used to making the sheet music in a PDF and the midi and mp3, if you used one. I've been searching for something like that for a very long time.

I used a number of different programs, each one with a different purpose.  To write the sheet music, I used Noteworthy Composer ($40 for the registered version, which I use), which is a music notation program designed for writing sheet music on the computer.  The program is able to play back your sheet music using MIDI.  As a "side effect", one is also able to save their music as a MIDI file.  To make this particular piece of sheet music, I recorded the original theme off of my LBT 11 DVD.  I listened to it, instrument by instrument, note by note, in order to accurately reproduce it by ear.  I entered it all in manually; no conversion programs were used (they are useless.  I'd never recommend one).  I just entered in the sheet music (Noteworthy Computer is basically the MIDI equivalent of Word Pad) and saved to a MIDI.  

In order to make the PDF file, I had to hunt down a rather obscure program, called GSView 4.8.  It is able to convert something that has been printed to a file, to a PDF document.  Noteworthy Composer allows the user to print their work.  I simply used the "print to file..." feature found in any print-compatible program.  In order for GSView to pick it up, you must name the printed file with a .ps extension.  I saved a file with a name like LBT 11 Opening.ps.  I then loaded this file into GSView, hit "convert" and saved it as a PDF.  It's very easy if you know how to do it but it took me forever to learn this trick.

All of the above can be done with free trial versions of the software.  The Mp3 was produced using much more powerful, sophisticated and expensive software.  If you have heard any of our Gang of Five singing projects, I used the same programs here as I used on those.  The programs used were:
FL Studio 7 Producer Edition ($200)
EastWest/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra, Gold XP Pro edition ($500)
EastWest/Quantum Leap Colossus($600)

All of which I purchased (I am quite an audio nerd :p)

FL Studio is the "host program" of those three.  It is the main workstation software.  The other two are plugins for FL, called "Virtual instruments".  These virtual instruments contain the sound that is generated.  In the case of these particular virtual instruments, they generate realistic acoustic sounds such as orchestra instruments, drums, and pianos.

After writing the piano MIDI in Noteworthy Composer, I imported this MIDI into FL Studio.  After I loaded up the piano sound in Colossus, I fine-tuned it for expression.  I then wrote in the other instrumental parts using MIDI events (note on, note off, expression, velocity, etc. etc. etc) in FL Studio.  I assigned the virtual instruments to play whatever these MIDI events told them to play and the result was the uncompressed version of the mp3 I posted here. I then exported the project to an mp3 file, which I posted up.

There is a free trial of FL Studio but you cannot save your work in it.  You can export to .wav, .mp3, or .mid but you cannot save the project files.  There are No free trials of my virtual instruments.

If anyone is interested in any part of any LBT soundtrack in sheet music or MP3 form, let me know!

Unknown Person

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I used a number of different programs, each one with a different purpose.  To write the sheet music, I used Noteworthy Composer ($40 for the registered version, which I use), which is a music notation program designed for writing sheet music on the computer.  The program is able to play back your sheet music using MIDI.  As a "side effect", one is also able to save their music as a MIDI file. 

Yeah, I have been using Notesworthy but I've been using the trial version, so a big ugly "TRIAL VERSION" gets stamped on any printed things.

In order to make the PDF file, I had to hunt down a rather obscure program, called GSView 4.8.  It is able to convert something that has been printed to a file, to a PDF document.

Thanks for the program, I might find this very useful.

All of the above can be done with free trial versions of the software.  The Mp3 was produced using much more powerful, sophisticated and expensive software.  If you have heard any of our Gang of Five singing projects, I used the same programs here as I used on those.  The programs used were:
FL Studio 7 Producer Edition ($200)
EastWest/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra, Gold XP Pro edition ($500)
EastWest/Quantum Leap Colossus($600)

All of which I purchased (I am quite an audio nerd :p)

Heh, now if that software wasn't so darn expensive, I would get it.  The FL Studio trial version looks very neat, though. :)  Thanks for the very elaborate post.