The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Journey of the Brave five years later

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Since XIV is almost 5 years old at this point I thought it would be a good idea to revisit the film and see how it hold's up.

Sarah

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
I haven't watched it for a while, so for me it's an absolutely good idea to watch it again.  Five years are a long time, the time span between the release of the first film and the production of the first sequel. I think that says a lot about how our view on things can change during a few years. @LittleDas75  Would you like to watch it again and to share your thoughts about it with us next week? Maybe you and I could do this together.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Maybe. I haven't watched it myself entirely since it first came out.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 03:54:53 PM by LittleDas75 »

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Coincidentally, I watched it two days ago. It is one of the movies, which I watched least, and I was surprised, how much I forgot.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I might re-watch it next weekend. I am curious to see if I have the same problems with it that I did when I first watched it.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog

ducky_25

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
I saw it like on Netflix for 3 years, and then I thought, “huh? I didn’t know another sequel came out” and I felt surprising when I saw it

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I thought it was alright when I first saw it on Netflix.

Sarah

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
I've watched it today and here are my thoughts about
The story:
The plot is pretty easy and self explaining. The gang has to cross logs to get on the other side of earth cracks, flees from sharpteeth, gets into arguments, does things it has done many times before, but also some interesting new elements can be found in the film. The film tries to give every main character a few moments in the spotlight, what can be considered as good and bad at the same time. Etta and Wild Arms are also interesting additions to the cast and contribute both their part to the plot. The opening was good, while the end feels a bit too short. XVI is one out of two films that doesn't end in the Great Valley and I largely prefer the other twelve endings.

The animation:
It was okay, but some could have been done better especially the 3D and computer animated elements.
A few scenes with 3D elements that were good in my opinion:

Here come the scenes that could have definitely been done better:

There were also a few other elements, that I didn't really liked.
Elements in the background for example looked a little washed out sometimes.

Not only is here again one of those bad 3D effects, but also a detail that shouldn't have looked so 2dimensional, in my opinion:

His teeth.
How could I forgot about this?

The lava looked pretty realistic.

The water didn't.
The music:
There are many new tracks in XVI and though none of those stands out in particular they were not only a welcoming change from the ones that I had already heard in three or four movies before, but also sounded like The Land Before Time. I remember, that when I first watched JOTB the first thing that stood out for me was the music.

So here is the continuation of the post:
It is just some things that I noticed, while watching it and that I didn't mention in the post yesterday.
First of all, I think the biggest missed opportunity XVI had was in the introduction of the dinosaurs. In III and the other sequels it was the well done and the animals looked a lot more impressing. I did expect the same from this film, but the first sight of a dinosaur was this:

Things look smaller from the air, so why make dinosaur this size small?
How much time has passed between the first and the fourteenth film can be seen here:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 03:55:51 PM by Sarah »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks for the in-depth review, @Sarah. I enjoyed reading it. The screenshots were a nice touch too. :)

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I still think this movie was, by far, more superior than XIII. That aside, a lot more could've been done with the concept at hand, and there were some missed opportunities. But it's kind of hard to put any blame on that, in my opinion, because of the circumstances behind this sequel. Universal dug this franchise back up after a near-nine-year hiatus, which means a lot of the main crew (if not ALL of the crew) was different, which means the storytelling and creative decisions would naturally be off compared to previous sequels. Plus, I got the feeling that this movie had a much tighter budget compared to previous sequels, which might explain the problems @Sarah described with the animation.

So yeah, I personally think it's hard to judge the film based on the circumstances of the production.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I get the impression that Universal made the film as sort of a trial run to see how well it would do. If it had been more successful, then they might've made more films, and/or a continuation of the TV series. But since that didn't happen, LBT 14 sticks out as a bit of an oddity in the franchise for not quite feeling in sync with the older films, nor having any follow-ups of its own to connect it with.

Still, it's been a while now since I've seen it and I would like to give it another chance sometime.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I get the impression that Universal made the film as sort of a trial run to see how well it would do. If it had been more successful, then they might've made more films, and/or a continuation of the TV series. But since that didn't happen, LBT 14 sticks out as a bit of an oddity in the franchise for not quite feeling in sync with the older films, nor having any follow-ups of its own to connect it with.

Still, it's been a while now since I've seen it and I would like to give it another chance sometime.
That's a pretty good point there. It's sad to see this movie might not be getting the continuation it deserves.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

That's a pretty good point there. It's sad to see this movie might not be getting the continuation it deserves.
But let's not lose hope yet. If we keep demanding for a XV then we might get it.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Hope is kindled.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

But let's not lose hope yet. If we keep demanding for a XV then we might get it.
Hopefully.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Journey of the Brave suffers from the Wisdom of Friends dialouge (infantile) but it was considerably better in terms of adventure. I am sad Chomper and Ruby were pretty much worthless. They’re arch was futile.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Journey of the Brave suffers from the Wisdom of Friends dialouge (infantile) but it was considerably better in terms of adventure. I am sad Chomper and Ruby were pretty much worthless. They’re arch was futile.
But technically isn't most of the dialogue in the sequels infantile? I am not saying your wrong but I am pointing out that's not a thing limited to XIII and this one.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
But technically isn't most of the dialogue in the sequels infantile? I am not saying your wrong but I am pointing out that's not a thing limited to XIII and this one.
I feel like the dialogue after LBT X was like that, to be perfectly honest.