The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Journey of the Brave five years later

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Journey of the Brave suffers from the Wisdom of Friends dialouge (infantile) but it was considerably better in terms of adventure. I am sad Chomper and Ruby were pretty much worthless. They’re arch was futile.
But technically isn't most of the dialogue in the sequels infantile? I am not saying your wrong but I am pointing out that's not a thing limited to XIII and this one.
I feel like the dialogue after LBT X was like that, to be perfectly honest.
Fair enough.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm glad it came out. It was an above-average LBT sequel, introduced Ruby into the movie canon and, most importantly, ensured LBT 13 wasn't the last film in the franchise.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 06:13:54 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I love that Journey of the Brave gave us the Horned Sharptooth, Carnotaurus!  :whatdidyousay

Carnotaurus is my favorite carnivour and to finally see one in the LBT franchise was a blessing.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
It’s a good film to be honest, it’s just that I’m disappointed Chomper and Ruby were on-screen for only about 8 minutes, which in my opinion, is not how you treat main characters.  It feels as if they realized they existed post-production, so they made a small amount of scenes for them.  Oh yeah, and the sound effects were annoying, very unusual for a LBT movie.  Although, I did like Wild Arms though (that is just my opinion, you don’t have to like him) he was at least a funny comic relief character.  Overall, it’s still a good movie that holds that good title for 5 years.   :yes

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I was meaning to rewatch this one sometime soon. I only ever saw it once. Posting in here as a reminder to myself.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
It’s a good film to be honest, it’s just that I’m disappointed Chomper and Ruby were on-screen for only about 8 minutes, which in my opinion, is not how you treat main characters.  It feels as if they realized they existed post-production, so they made a small amount of scenes for them.  Oh yeah, and the sound effects were annoying, very unusual for a LBT movie.  Although, I did like Wild Arms though (that is just my opinion, you don’t have to like him) he was at least a funny comic relief character.  Overall, it’s still a good movie that holds that good title for 5 years.   :yes

100% agreed. If there was one thing I could change about that movie, it would be Chomper and Ruby's role. They absolutely should've been in there more, I wanted to see them officially become part of the gang. Better yet, some backstory at to how they became friends and came to the valley would've been awesome. (I know, I know, my hopes were up too high.)

I know some people thought Wild Arms was annoying, but I enjoyed him, too. He brought in a type of humor that you usually don't see in LBT, and at the same time his jokes didn't feel cringy. Etta was also likable--just a very sweet, motherly sort of character.

"I don't see anything!"--Cera

"Maybe your eyes are getting in the way."--Rainbow Face

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I remember the lead-up to JotB coming out, with myself and a few others going around like Holmes and Watson trying to figure out every single thing about the film.  :lol

Then it came out, I watched it almost immediately, then got to the end and was like 'is that it?' I think I set my expectations way too high for this. The premise was promising, Littlefoot's dad going missing and him and his friends having to go on a rescue mission did have a lot of promise and I was hoping maybe the series would try going back to its roots in terms of atmosphere or at least the first few sequels. It seemed like it was more similar to 11-13 especially with the dialogue, and they are my least favourite sequels. So I was pretty disappointed and at that point, realised that maybe new LBT content just wouldn't appeal to me like I thought it would.

Five years later, I watched it again. I watched it immediately after watching all of the other sequels, and yeah... it's not as bad as I remember it, not at all. I'll put my full thoughts into a bigger review I'm writing, but for now I'll just say, yep, it's an average LBT sequel. And, like 11-13, I did not have the privilege of going in with 'nostalgia goggles' like I did with the older sequels, so I think I'm going to judge those ones more harshly anyway.

I did feel like some parts were rushed (especially the ending), having the sharpteeth be distracted from the hiding kids/adults by something much smaller than them not once, but twice, was pretty lame, the CGI was pretty jarring in some scenes, I'm not really sure why they put Ruby and Chomper in the film without any kind of explanation, especially considering their role ended up being so small anyway (and could have been covered by Wild Arms alone), and I am still bitter about the lack of a certain green longneck. When the narrator mentioned Littlefoot's mother I was pretty excited but given that she wasn't brought up again, when the potential of losing his dad as well would have been the perfect opportunity to do so, was kinda sad (I live for the Littlefoot's mother references :lol).

On the other hand, I personally love the new score, seeing a HD LBT was pretty cool, the songs were fine, I liked Etta and her morbid sense of humour, and my hot take of this one? I liked Wild Arms. He did have a Yellow Belly-ness about him and when I first saw him my first thought was 'oh no', but keeping him with the adults and only showing him every so often worked so much better. I actually found myself laughing a couple of times at the adults' reaction to him.

There certainly are a lot of flaws in this one but overall I think it's an alright LBT sequel. It still hangs towards the lower end of my preference list, but not as far down as it used to be. Not the best, but certainly not the worst (XIII still proudly holds that title).

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
I remember the lead-up to JotB coming out, with myself and a few others going around like Holmes and Watson trying to figure out every single thing about the film.  :lol

Then it came out, I watched it almost immediately, then got to the end and was like 'is that it?' I think I set my expectations way too high for this. The premise was promising, Littlefoot's dad going missing and him and his friends having to go on a rescue mission did have a lot of promise and I was hoping maybe the series would try going back to its roots in terms of atmosphere or at least the first few sequels. It seemed like it was more similar to 11-13 especially with the dialogue, and they are my least favourite sequels. So I was pretty disappointed and at that point, realised that maybe new LBT content just wouldn't appeal to me like I thought it would.

Five years later, I watched it again. I watched it immediately after watching all of the other sequels, and yeah... it's not as bad as I remember it, not at all. I'll put my full thoughts into a bigger review I'm writing, but for now I'll just say, yep, it's an average LBT sequel. And, like 11-13, I did not have the privilege of going in with 'nostalgia goggles' like I did with the older sequels, so I think I'm going to judge those ones more harshly anyway.

I did feel like some parts were rushed (especially the ending), having the sharpteeth be distracted from the hiding kids/adults by something much smaller than them not once, but twice, was pretty lame, the CGI was pretty jarring in some scenes, I'm not really sure why they put Ruby and Chomper in the film without any kind of explanation, especially considering their role ended up being so small anyway (and could have been covered by Wild Arms alone), and I am still bitter about the lack of a certain green longneck. When the narrator mentioned Littlefoot's mother I was pretty excited but given that she wasn't brought up again, when the potential of losing his dad as well would have been the perfect opportunity to do so, was kinda sad (I live for the Littlefoot's mother references :lol).

On the other hand, I personally love the new score, seeing a HD LBT was pretty cool, the songs were fine, I liked Etta and her morbid sense of humour, and my hot take of this one? I liked Wild Arms. He did have a Yellow Belly-ness about him and when I first saw him my first thought was 'oh no', but keeping him with the adults and only showing him every so often worked so much better. I actually found myself laughing a couple of times at the adults' reaction to him.

There certainly are a lot of flaws in this one but overall I think it's an alright LBT sequel. It still hangs towards the lower end of my preference list, but not as far down as it used to be. Not the best, but certainly not the worst (XIII still proudly holds that title).

Yeah I just realized how rushed the ending was.  Usually I see that ending in these sequels last for a few minutes.  This sequel made the ending feel like it was only for a few seconds.  What?

I mean, was Universal too busy helping Illumination with other project that they chose to rush the ending and make it short just in time for release?

Like to be honest, it felt like they cut the budget last-minute to keep budget for they’re other animated projects.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Can't wait when it will be a turn to watch this movie again. I watched it only twice, there was short period of time between that two views, it was years ago. Let's see how my opinion would change...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I rewatched the film myself not that long ago. I still need to do a proper review of it sometime; it's one of the few that I never did a full review of. But I will say that it was more fun than I remembered it being on my first go round.

I think I set my expectations way too high for this. The premise was promising, Littlefoot's dad going missing and him and his friends having to go on a rescue mission did have a lot of promise and I was hoping maybe the series would try going back to its roots in terms of atmosphere or at least the first few sequels. It seemed like it was more similar to 11-13 especially with the dialogue, and they are my least favourite sequels.

I think, yeah, that was part of the issue I originally had as well. Returning to the tone of the first movie seems like a bit of a pipe dream at this point, but I do wish they had at least styled it closer to the earlier sequels.

When the narrator mentioned Littlefoot's mother I was pretty excited but given that she wasn't brought up again, when the potential of losing his dad as well would have been the perfect opportunity to do so, was kinda sad (I live for the Littlefoot's mother references :lol).

Agreed here too.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I think, yeah, that was part of the issue I originally had as well. Returning to the tone of the first movie seems like a bit of a pipe dream at this point, but I do wish they had at least styled it closer to the earlier sequels.
Yeah, a style like that would be pretty fine to see. A compromise between the original's dark tone and the more lighthearted one that we've come to expect from the later sequels.