The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

It’s been 40 years since MTV launched

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
So guys, it’s official, 40 years ago MTV officially launched on cable tv, becoming the first channel to play music 24/7, nonstop.

Looking at it now however, yeah, it sucks.  In fact, I’m pretty sure I saw the MTV schedule for yesterday, and they didn’t even do anything special for their anniversary.  Just played reality TV because it’s so important to them…

Anyway, I’m just gonna put this clip down below in case you wanted to check out the first 2 hours on MTV when it launched on August 1, 1981.

Also, if you want, you can discuss your memories with MTV.  After all, it’s not an anniversary without telling our memories!

Happy 40th anniversary MTV!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PJtiPRDIqtI

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
My MTV memories involve Madonna and crazy escapades thet played on daytime television. Back then music videos were big, I Remember Metallica  on that swinging metal stage that had them going upside down. A highlight for me was seeing Creed’s Sacrifice video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O-fyNgHdmLI&vidve=5727&autoplay=1

Little did I know Creed & Scott Stapp would become a favorite of mine.

Its ironic M in MTV, which stood for music seems to mean nothing these days. Back then in its glory days MTV allowed us to see our favorite bands when we couldn’t afford to go to a concert.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 01:51:56 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
It's unfortunate, I would've been a loyal fan of MTV as well if they kept airing music videos on their channel.

Oh well. It seems reality tv is the norm these days.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
It's unfortunate, I would've been a loyal fan of MTV as well if they kept airing music videos on their channel.

Oh well. It seems reality tv is the norm these days.

Exactly, reality TV ruined TV.

The point of MTV was music videos, sadly not anymore. 

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith