The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What if Don Bluth made a sequel?..

Sneak · 9 · 1037

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(Whoa, I didn't start any general LBT topics for a long time.)

Well, today I was visited by an interesting thought: WHAT IF Don Bluth himself decided to make a LBT sequel back in 90's?

During his long animator career, he made many beautiful different cartoons, where he wasn't afraid to make them dark and tense, raise some serious life themes, make something unique.

I think it's a good food for thought:
Considering other Don Bluth's released cartoons... WHAT could we see in such sequel? In such unique universe as prehistoric world of dinosaurs?
What subjects could be raised? What direction could be picked?
Would we follow the same gang of five, or other characters, other group of dinosaurs? Maybe next generations?
And how many major and small identical details could happen between this assumed sequel and any of released LBT sequels? (Like: what if question of sharpteeth's nature would arise in it, like happened in the very first existed LBT sequel, and LBT V?)

What do you think? :)

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
I think it'd be cool if the sequel was similar to what we got, but with a more in-depth look at Chomper's relationship with the gang and the true nature of Sharpteeth. Would they eventually have to let go of Chomper? It would be an interesting concept to explore for sure :ChomperAmused

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
If Don Bluth did make a sequel, he would probably get rid of the terrible songs, add in more dark stuff, and like Mouse said, probably look into Chomper’s relationship with the gang more.

It’s an interesting concept and I’m glad someone brought up this question.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just in case, to clarify:
The point of this topic and my question is not "How would existed LBT sequels, scenes from them, and characters that was created for them would look if Don Bluth directed them?" I mean , Chomper, or some other sharptooth with same role, could even not exist at all in script of supposed sequel. :)
What I mean - what direction would Don Bluth pick? Is there even a chance that he would come up with the same idea for the plot as any of released sequels? Waht scenario is the most possible, considering his other cartoons and general viewpoint for storytelling?

In case of Chomper and his parents: Do you think infant sharptooth scenario, his relationship with gang, and raised question about sharpteeth's psychology and their role in Great circle of life would be very potential scenario for sequel?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 04:34:51 PM by Sneak »

FallenTreeStar

• Ruby
    • View Profile
The ending of the original always feels finite to me. Especially the narrator describes that generations will remember all the dinosaurs journey to the great valley.  It makes me have the comforting conclusion that they lived peacefully there. (Until a supposed extinction event) The last shot of them embracing is just too perfect to continue with for me.

Not that other conflicts wouldn't exist but I always felt the theme of the inclusion of others and helpfulness to those who are different was big part of what the gang learned, and then went on to instill those values in the valley. My brain doesn't like to imagine the gang struggling through anything else considering what they already went through. BUT if Don did decide to revisit the world I have to imagine it would include a dire situation or maybe struggle of the young ones struggling to instill those values to their entire community. He loved the hard hitting situations that have happy endings, so I imagine it would be something threatening to Dinos. Doubtful a famine sine that was the first. I would probably guess climate (which I guess would effect famine) predatory hunting, or an extinction type event like I mentioned earlier. Although I'm not sure how you have a happy ending that way for kids. Don is so creative it's hard for me to imagine what exactly he would come up with.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 07:49:03 PM by FallenTreeStar »
- Let your heart guide you. It whispers, so listen closely.

LittlefootOnASkateboard

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
The idea of a Don Bluth sequel is just blowing my mind right now. The implications are so far-reaching! It would have changed the entire LBT franchise's trajectory. Even if he made just one sequel, if successful,  would have given other directors and writers a blueprint for how to make more movies. Like a framework to work off. Maybe future movies would be much darker and grittier. Maybe they wouldn't be musicals even. Maybe we'd have more theatrical releases and the entire movie series would have more staying power and more legitimacy with members from the original movie still working on it. It could have been much bigger!

It could also have absolutely ruined any possibility of future sequels. Because if Don Bluth's second movie bombed, or just weren't any good, maybe Universal would have never thought to revisit the IP. And we can forget about 14 moves, lol.

But anyway, I can't even theorize what a Don Bluth sequel could have been like. It's hard to imagine him doing it after wrapping up the first movie in a way that made any continuation of the main story essentially impossible. However, I really liked how the second movie revisit the whole thing about Sharp Teeth with Chomper. So maybe a story about Littlefoot adopting a member of the same species that killed his mother and how he'd deal with that emotionally could have made for an interesting project.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
The ending of the original always feels finite to me. Especially the narrator describes that generations will remember all the dinosaurs journey to the great valley.  It makes me have the comforting conclusion that they lived peacefully there. (Until a supposed extinction event) The last shot of them embracing is just too perfect to continue you with for me.
Agreed. Looking at the ending now, I feel like it's Bluth's way of saying, "That's it, show's over. There's nothing more to see her. No sequel, nothing."

Of course, we all know how that turned out, but I guess it was for the better. :)

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I can’t see a sequel made by Bluth with the same cast, aside from maybe as a short film. The ending of the original makes it pretty clear that their story was over, as far as he was concerned. It’s nice that not all people saw it that way, though.

As for a different cast, that could have potential, but it would have to be something that wouldn’t feel like a rehash of the original. Something with an adult cast would have a ton of potential, but I guess it would have to be something that would appeal to kids, too, so I don’t know how far he’d get with that.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I would want a Return of Sharptooth like Aladdin: Return of Jafar.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith