The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Saddest Game Moments?

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The dark side ending of Jedi Knight. It just hits me that way.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ There's also Jan's "death" from Jedi Knight 2, and in The Force Unleashed the scene where Starkiller bids Juno farewell.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
In the dark-side ending of Jedi Knight, Kyle actually kills Jan. It's actually pretty dramatic.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
(off topic: the wierd thing is in the graphic novel Dark Empire, Luke actually turns to the darkside, I guess its the sign of a son following  in his father's footsteps)

Anyhow, Lisa Garland's death from the original Silent Hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCgzPJiIIE0&feature=related

There's never been a time where I could watch this without crying my eyes out.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Spoilers...

The death of Agustus Sinclair in BioShock 2.  He was a character that I got attached to even though I knew all along that he was just helping me for his own purposes.  He gets turned into an Alpha Series and the player is forced to kill him to obtain a genetic key so they can escape Rapture in his escape pod.  He asks Delta to kill him so he doesn't have to spend the rest of his life as a big daddy.  

Also what happened to mark Meltzer was pretty sad.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Dash Rendar's "death" was kind of sad in Shadows of the Empire, but I feel like his character should have been developed way more than it was. If he wasn't a Han Solo knockoff I probably would have found his abrupt crash more dramatic.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Update for my list:

I got this really cool game called "Ico". At the closing bit, your primary partner for the game has died and then been reborn as a creature of darkness. On top of that your highly sympathetic player character is beaten within an inch of his life during the final boss battle as the castle he's been trapped in by his own village starts crumbling around him and he's lost consciousness and is unable to flee for his life. I've never been so saddened and enraged by the finale of a game before, but then... Find it, play it, and you'll see what happenes next. It's surprising.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ I have this game called "Shadow Of The Colossus" which was made by the same people who made ICO and is a prequel to that game, as for any depressing moments in SOTC,there are many, but the most depressing one is the ending:

Warning: contains spoilers.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxKN77TSags&feature=related

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzE0lD8uQGw&feature=related

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffqdukNjaus&feature=related

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've played that game, never got around to finishing it though.  But man, i do feel rather sad when I kill some of the Colossi.  I mean some, I'm glad I kill, but others, like that huge dragon thing....well, it sucks when ones like them have to be killed.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
you mean the 13th colossus, I felt bad for that one too, and when I found out that some of them were female(including that one), I felt for them even more, they didn't have to die.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think it was the 13th one.  But yeah, it was indeed sad.

Another one for me is in Kingdom Hearts 2 when you're in Hollow Bastion and a rock is blasted out and hits Goofy on the head, believing that he is dead.  I still can't get over that part, gets me everytime I play it, even though I know he's just been knocked out cold.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
In Heretic II when you're in the canyon/desert and the lizard that dies after giving you the info. That's the only game moment I can recall being sad.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh man, if you see the death of Thane in Mass Effect 2 when you go on the final mission, it is just horrible.  True, those that play the game know he's going to die of an illness eventually, but you can't help but get attached to this guy.  He is a very emotional religious assassin.  It's rare you find a character like this.

And when the beam of the ship impaled him, I was just heartbroken.  He was one of the best, and I could have really used him in that final match. :(

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The ending of Final Fantasy VII:Crisis Core, some Final Fantasy games are known for having depressing endings(FFX) or some depressing moment in them(Aerith's death in FF7) but this one takes the cake.

Zack, the character you've been playing as the entire game, has been gunned down by Shinra soldiers and afterwords Cloud(the protagonist of the original FF7) comes out of hiding and he and Zack have their last conversation before Zack dies,later you hear Zack say "would you say I became a hero", you've got to admit, most video games don't usaully end like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jb4Ws1lPHc&feature=fvw

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh yes, FFX's ending, forgot about that one, since it's been ages since I played it last (only cause I lost my copy of it), but I have to say, it can be rather depressing indeed.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry to bump an old topic but I had something to add.  

SPOILER ALERT!
If you have already played CoD Black Ops or don't care about seeing spoilers, go ahead and read on.  if not, I suggest you hit the back button now.

Remember Dimitri and Reznov from Call of Duty: World at War?  Well guess what!  They both appear in Black ops.  Unfortunately, they both get killed off in Black Ops too, which really sucks because Reznov is my favorite character in the CoD series.  

Dimitri's death is particularly gruesome and tragic though.  Basically, his commanding officer, Dragovich, pulls a "General Shepherd" on him and locks everyone in a gas chamber, then releases a Nazi bio weapon into the chamber.  Dimitri and his men die a slow, agonizing death while Reznov watches helplessly from the other side of a glass window.  Yeah, that's pretty damn depressing.

Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDG3rjpYZ6I

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So, this thread has been dead for a good long while, but...
Armored Core 4: For Answer is just...wow.  There are two paths that are remarkably sad, and then the third path.  In one, you have to end up condemning humanity to a slow, gradual decline due to having poisoned the planet, as well as allowing the megacorps that caused that situation in the first place to get away scot-free.  The second really hits hard.  In order to ensure the future of humanity, you have to shut down the flying cities they built, and, in the epilogue, it states that your actions killed untold many people, including infants, and that, in the end, humanity won't change at all.  I mean, DAMN.

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Shadow sacrificing himself to stop the Space Colony Ark from crashing to Earth in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Peppy holding off the Aparoids with the Great Fox so Fox, Falco, Krystal and Slippy could get into the Apparoid Homeworld in Star Fox Assault, E-102 Gamma's death in Sonic Adventure DX, Machine Ghost's sacrifice to stop falling rocks from crushing any one of your Skylanders in Skylanders Giants, Zogg sacrificing himself to save the Turtles and Splinter from Shredder in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 Battle Nexus, Crono's death at the hands of Lavos before being resurrected/Cyrus's death at the hands of Magus in Chrono Trigger, and Emerl's destruction in Sonic Battle.