The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ruby

Noname · 85 · 14611

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No offense taken here, LBTL ;).  I think they wanted to add another smarta** to the series as a means to back Cera up but were not very successful.  Ruby seems to be a sweet character but such a role does not fit her.  Being a smarta** is Cera's trademark; no other character can take her spot.  On top of that, Cera's good at it 'cuz she has wit :yes.  Ruby seems to make the role of smarta** annoying, not cute like Cera's :lol.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One thing Ruby does bring is someone who knows some things of the mysterious beyond.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
By this time, all of them should know something about it. How many times have Littlefoot and the rest of the original five been in the mysterious beyond? And didn't they live there for some time in the fifth movie, waiting for the valley to replenish itself after being hit by a swarm of locusts?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Bringing Ali and Chomper in would have made sense in the mid-90s when the characters were still fresh. and yes, Ruby's speaking while soaking in the mud did bring to mind someone who is under the influence. "Stoned" is the American word for it, I don't know if there is a german equivalent. Ruby does not bring equality in numbers, since you'd need an even number to do that. you'd have to bring in Ali,or some other female, and then you'd have the Gang Of 8, which would  be even more unweildy. 4 females, Ali, Cera, Ducky and Ruby, 4 males, Chomper, Littlefoot petrie and Spike.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
No offense taken here, LBTL wink.gif. I think they wanted to add another smarta** to the series as a means to back Cera up but were not very successful. Ruby seems to be a sweet character but such a role does not fit her. Being a smarta** is Cera's trademark; no other character can take her spot. On top of that, Cera's good at it 'cuz she has wit in-yes.gif. Ruby seems to make the role of smarta** annoying, not cute like Cera's dino_laugh.gif.
I really don't see Cera and Ruby as comparable. Cera is a totally different character. I don't even know if Cera could be labeled a "smarta**" at all. She does not usually pretend to be particularly smart while she isn't (and isn't that what makes a "smarta**" a "smarta**"?). Cera usually boasts with a not too clearly defined feeling of threehorn superiority or with her strength, but I don't recall a case where she is really claiming to be smarter than anyone else.
Ruby does not claim this either, but several times she does actually prove more capable at some more complex tasks than some of the others. An example that comes to my mind is that she is the one to think of tying several vines together in order to get a vine long enough to reach Spike in the episode "Stranger from the Mysterious Above".
Figuring out such "trickier tasks" is not something that would require experience from the Mysterious Beyond in particular but rather a degree of logic and constructive thinking which in this degree cannot be found by any of the other LBT characters. Ruby does talk rather weird, but she is by no means the first LBT character to do so. Their different ways of talking do so much to make the characters individual and personally I don't find even Ruby's self explanatory comments any more annoying than for example Petrie's grammar (which I don't find annoying at all). I don't see her as a bragging character (whenever there is any reference to her being smart it comes from someone else) either. "Smarta**" doesn't really seem to be a proper description of Ruby as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps "whizkid" is closer to the mark?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Malte raises some interesting and true points.  If one had to put that smart.... label on someone it would fit Cera more then Ruby since I don't recall Ruby ever talking about how smart she is or smarter then anyone else.   Ruby is smarter in at least certain ways then the others.  This could be due to her being a little older then the others, or perhaps due to her being smarter in certain ways to the others, or perhaps other reasons as well.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Ruby is older than the others, in all likelihood and she is more aware of certain issues regarding the mysterious beyond. Still, Littlefoot is the one which solves most of the problems... and unlike Ruby, he never has redundant or backwards sentences.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I really hate how Ruby says stuff.  It's like she says it to be annoying.  One example of this that comes to mind is:

The sooner we get going, the sooner we'll be on our way

or

Perhaps some help would help you

She speaks like this many times during each episode, making the show more childish.  Most of the things she says are meaningless and they just restate what the other characters say (unless she's talking about herself).  It's just cheesy and pointless to have her talk that way.  Petrie's grammar is necessary to illustrate the characters age, however Ruby's way of talking is pretty pointless and brings absolutely nothing to the story.  I also hate how she's drawn.  What an odd creature.  She's almost as bad as the yellow bellies. -_-

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder who came up with her way of speaking?  A group or the scriptwriter of the first  episode.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
While I admit Ruby herself as a character has grown on me...but the way she speaks actually reminds me of Yoda 90% of the time. Which in turn may be why I enjoy her character having screen time.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if the person who come up with her way of speaking is a fan of Star Wars, or if that is a coincidence.

Joseph

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Out of all the newbies for the TV series, I find that I like Ruby the best. She adds a real different angle to the series, and can be seen to contrast a bit with the Original Five.

Ruby is pretty I think, now apperance aside she's also the most relaxed character. She seems to be almost Zen-like in her actions, always keeping cool and never panicked.

Also her way of speaking reminds me of Yoda, I think that's a nice touch there, and it fits in with her Zen nature.

Oh btw, Hi! It's Joseph from wayyyy back in the day  B)

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Quote from: Joseph,May 29 2008 on  07:53 PM
Out of all the newbies for the TV series, I find that I like Ruby the best. She adds a real different angle to the series, and can be seen to contrast a bit with the Original Five.

Ruby is pretty I think, now apperance aside she's also the most relaxed character. She seems to be almost Zen-like in her actions, always keeping cool and never panicked.

I like Ruby for these reasons myself. She's also the most mature of all of the characters.:)

I really don't see Cera and Ruby as comparable. Cera is a totally different character. I don't even know if Cera could be labeled a "smarta**" at all. She does not usually pretend to be particularly smart while she isn't (and isn't that what makes a "smarta**" a "smarta**"?). Cera usually boasts with a not too clearly defined feeling of threehorn superiority or with her strength, but I don't recall a case where she is really claiming to be smarter than anyone else.

I agree with this too. I don't believe Ruby is being a smart a**, she's just intelligent in general. Cera is very boastful, loud, insensitive, and stubborn, while Ruby is a MUCH more mature character and is gentle in her ways.

On top of that, Cera's good at it 'cuz Ruby seems to make the role of smarta** annoying, not cute like Cera's

I know both Ruby and Cera are very strong girls, but I don't think Ruby is nessisarily taking Cera's place. And, I completely disagree with you on Cera making that smart a** role "cute". In my strong opinion, there is NOTHING cute about it. Sorry, I have an extreme dislike of Cera for MANY reasons... <_<

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She is an interesting character and an interesting addition to the gang.  Her personality is interesting as well.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Oh btw, Hi! It's Joseph from wayyyy back in the day
Joseph? Joe the corona guy from the N54 LBT forum? :)
Out of all the newbies for the TV series, I find that I like Ruby the best.
That one is relatively easy though, as with the exception of Redclaw and his sidekicks (and Ruby's family) Ruby is the only newbie to turn up in more than one episode if I'm not very mistaken (I haven't seen all episodes yet).

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I completely disagree with you on Cera making that smart a** role "cute". In my strong opinion, there is NOTHING cute about it. Sorry, I have an extreme dislike of Cera for MANY reasons...

I agree with you.  I don't think Cera's behavior is cute at all.  I do understand why she acts this way sometimes and I respect it.  Cera is one of my favorite characters because of this.  I really love Cera.  Even though she has a father like hers, she hasn't become totally corrupted.  If I had to pick a least favorite "good" character, it'd have to be Ruby.  I don't think the movies really need another character to make them good.  They've lived 13 movies without her and they're not gonna suffer without her. :p

Joseph

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,May 30 2008 on  02:23 AM
Joseph? Joe the corona guy from the N54 LBT forum? :)
That would be me ^v^

And I agree with LBTlover. Ruby is a good character, but we don't really need her in Episode 14 (movie not TV ep mind you :p). Unless fan response to her is through the room, a la Chomper, there's not really a good reason to put her in the movie continuity anytime soon.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She can be kept a tv series only character.  They could tell more of her back story in more flashbacks, though I guess some things will be left unsaid like how Chomper got off the island and accepted by all the adults in the Great Valley, and how Ruby got asked to look after Chomper by his parents.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess I agree with that one. I generally like Ruby as a character and I think that she filled up some holes in the range of personal traits covered by the other characters. I would not be hugely upset over a sequel featuring Ruby, but if I was given the choice I guess I would still go for GOF instead of GOS.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It may be best to keep the gang in the movies at 5 since that is what most folks are use to.  Though adding in the 2 from the tv series could be interesting and after a while they may, if the tv series has several seasons.