The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Darwin's Soldiers 3 Discussion

Serris · 1486 · 77968

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You seem to have missed the core idea... I wasn't suggesting that all nations be run race-wise, I was suggesting that Darwin's Soldiers take place in the Red Alert universe.  It's not that different from the normal one, except that the Soviet Union is still around and tons of impossible technology exists (judging from some of the weapons procured so far it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Also, there seems to be lots of implied things about Dragonstorm... like how they are secretly a government funded organization.  If they are funded by the US Military, then they aren't exactly breaking the law are they?  The good guys are the ones breaking the law for trying to stop them.

Back to my idea... if this takes place in a Red Alert universe there can be a bit more Dynamism in the military forces apart from normal tanks and guns.  It would also make Dragonstorm less cliche and more interesting if they were funded by the Soviets.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
There could be a plot twist with Dragonstorm they find later in the 3rd RP: Dragonstorm IS funded by a foreign country

And I am trying to keep this kind towards the "hard science fiction" area... Red Alert is not hard SF.

Strangely enough, DS is part soft SF and part hard SF. The X-Men styled powers are the soft part. The somewhat advanced weapons (lasers and magnetic cannons) and the fusion reactor are the hard parts.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Nov 13 2009 on  01:57 PM
And I am trying to keep this kind towards the "hard science fiction" area... Red Alert is not hard SF.

Have you played Red Alert 3 or even Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge?  It's about as hard science fiction as you can get, from Mind Controlling Tanks, to a device that mutates humans into superhumans in an instant, to camoflagued tanks, to choppers that shrink vehicles down to size, to orbiting Magnetic Satellites, not to mention the godly Allied Future Tank X1:

If you don't want to do it thats okay, but you will have my guarenteed participation if you do.  :smile

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have played Red Alert 2 as well as Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge.

As defined by TV Tropes:

"Hard" Science Fiction is firmly grounded in reality, with few fantastic flights of fancy not justified by Scienceô

I would say (ignoring the anthros) that DS is fairly hard, save for the X-Men like powers but even these have their limits.

I can deal with the camoflagued tanks but the mind controlling tanks, shrinking helicopters and magnetic tractor beam satellites, cross the line (not to mention they potentially unbalance the RP).

I may decide to allow some Red Alert "items" but I will need to see what CAN work and what cannot work.

-------------

The final title will be either be Darwin's Soldiers III: Disruptive Selection or Darwin's Soldiers III: Extinction

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What I said was to describe the RA universe... I didn't say all these things had to be in the RP.  That would be of course for you to decide.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The Mirage tanks are acceptable as active camoflauge is currently being worked on and I simply see them as an extension of real life active camo.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Sorry, I just want to add that I *really* don't like the idea of making Darwin's Soldiers a Red Alert fanfiction. One of the reasons I joined this RP over others is that it was a completely original storyline, not a spinoff from some pre-established franchise. Darwin's Soldiers has gone such a long time being a completely original story that I don't like the idea of starting the third RP with. "Meanwhile, in the Red Alert universe where this has all been taking place..."

I'm okay with taking influences from Red Alert, but I don't want Kane to suddenly show up talking about how Einstein went back in time and erased Hitler from existence, for the good of the Brotherhood of Nod. I want Darwin's Soldiers to be it's own story, through and through.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Okay, it is confirmed: Darwin's Soldiers will remain an original story. NO CnC characters or anything will appear in it. Some influences may appear.

Now that I look at it, I want to keep Dragonstorm an American project, which it was stated to be in the first RP.

Not to mention most of the stuff from Red Alert is kind of outlandish and cheesy whereas Darwin's Soldiers is more gritty and realistic. Those do not mix.

-------------------

Also, where does DS sit on the Mohs Scale of Science Fiction Hardness?

I feel that it fits towards the "harder" end.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You must have misunderstood me.... i was talking about Red Alert WEAPONS not people.  I suppose it does mean different things to different people.  To be honest I hated the storyline, but I liked the units hence my loyalty to the series.  All I meant to ask for was permission to assume that the Chronosphere, Future Tank X1 and Mirage Tank exist in this universe.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Mirage tank is acceptable. Chronosphere... no (I am VERY leery of time travel). The future tank's form is a tad inappropriate for this universe.

I will allow the future tank as a "super heavy tank. Basically something that looks like an M1A1 Abrams tank but much larger and heavier.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Okay more data:

The characters from the previous RP (if entered) will be assumed to be living in either motels or even out of their cars. They are considered "outlaws" by the local police but Carson City Camp is trying their best to help keep the group hidden. They will also be assumed to have taken a fake name.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thats sounds fine. I'll have by characters be living in a motel  under assumee names..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The Future Tank could always be some top secret development of Dragonstorm, kind of like a doomsday device they unleash right as they are about to be defeated.  It would be like CABAL and Slave to the System all over again!

Also, now that I have permission to use Mirage Tanks I can use any excuse I want to have a nearby tree fade into a tank and vapourize anyone from existance!  Hooray!

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
It shouldn't be called a Mirage Tank, though, since this isn't Red Alert. It should be called some made-up name like a "Morphological Fluid Tank," which "is quite similar to the Mirage Tank from Red Alert."

Also, what happened to that Dragonstorm Humvee? They ever get away?

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Nov 17 2009 on  03:59 AM
Also, what happened to that Dragonstorm Humvee? They ever get away?
The Dragonstorm Humvee IS a Mirage Tank disguised as a Humvee... but since it's not allowed... umm, okay nevermind I'll elabourate when I post tonight.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The concept is allowed but just not the name.

Perhaps the term phase tank could be used?

Or maybe "Mirage Tank" is just a nickname used by the tank crews.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
^That would work. I'm totally fine with that. "Phase Tank" sounds pretty awesome, too. It'd be fun to use one of those in the third RP.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
In my "Ask Me" section:

Quote from: Caustizer @ Nov 18 2009 on  01:04 AM
I was actually thinking of calling it the "Optimal-Camo Tank"

Name works for me. I love the concept, a tank that can hide itself. Totally think these should play a role in DS3 also.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
serris could I bring my OC Frank Anderson into this part of the rp?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sure! I will leave it up to you how to implement him into the RP as a new soldier.

I assume he is a soldier?