The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A couple more short trailers have also recently come out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28_TUTyanmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMLkv5EzCXo
(Be warned, the second video includes some scenes that some might consider as spoilers.)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
All the new trailers have me really excited  :chomper

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Want to learn more about the ponies in the upcoming movie? Here's a small list of fun facts about each of the 5 main ponies:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2021/09/fun-facts-about-generation-5-mane-cast.html

- Berix

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
I like Zipp's longer name; neat  :chomper

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
I must wonder how structurally weak pony society is in general for
Spoiler: ShowHide
the unicorn, pegasi, and earth pony to literally be segregated once again in the future, and since Gen 5 takes place long in the future supposedly in the same universe and world, this really concerns me. What happened to Twilight's reign on Equestria as the Princess of Friendship? How could it have gone so wrong so dang soon? Maybe due to Twilight's friends all dying off since she outlives them (besides Spike, dragons can live very long time), it demoralized her and then the kingdom slowly fell into disarray? To be fair we can also partly blame it on the society of ponies, which seem to be very easily manipulated into mass fear and hysteria just because of false rumors about the other race of ponies (per the example shown in the Season 9 Episode 24).

But yeah, this new Gen 5 of MLP has my interested peaked surprisingly, but unfortunately not for the right reasons. :(petrie

I guess I'll check up on the news of Gen 5 once in awhile and watch some opinions of the show from people once it finally comes out, but other than that yeah I'm not too interested in the franchise no more. (anything going forward from Gen 4 I mean).

Like I sorta get why Gen 5 is kinda a reset of progress from the Gen 4 series, but couldn't they have made this maybe an alternate timeline or perhaps an entirely different timeline? It feels pretty dumb if I'm gonna be honest here. I'm sounding critical in this post, but these are just genuine concerns I have so far.

And also, this new animation style is just not my cup of tea either.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A few more fun facts about each of the main five ponies:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2021/09/more-fun-facts-each-of-generation-5-my.html

(Just a heads-up, although the movie's official release date on Netflix is the 24th (Friday next week), it will apparently be getting theatrical releases in several Asian countries a few days earlier, so be aware of potential spoilers throughout all of next week.)

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just released earlier today is a one-minute clip from the movie, giving us our first real glimpse at what the movie will actually be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXKIMLBdnNQ

- Berix

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
 :ChomperImAwesome Getting very excited!

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Early releases of the new movie around the world are just now starting to come out, so beware of spoilers out there on the internet.

Thankfully, this is an officially released three-minute clip from the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfeij6tjJyU

Also, the following image was not shared on EqD, but is still considered official information (albeit translated from a Russian source), so I'll just put it under a spoiler tag.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Another music video from the movie has been released on the official MLP YouTube channel, and based on the content, I think this one will likely be heard somewhere around the beginning of the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmp9DdjHT6c

There's also been a few new images from the movie revealed as well (FYI, the one hidden behind the "Spoilery Image" link at the bottom of the list reveals the main villain of the movie):
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2021/09/8-beautiful-new-promo-images-another.html

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I guess with the official release now only a few days away, preview clips are coming in more rapidly. First, there's this 30-second clip featuring Zipp's first appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0aQ7eAoh1A

And there's this 3-minute clip (which seems to occur rather later on in the movie, so I think some might consider it a spoiler worth avoiding for now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU1KLQQUAkw

- Berix

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Well, I'll admit that G5 has me intrigued. I initially wasn't sure I'd even give this a watch at all after how much Pony Life disappointed me, but now I figure I'm at least going to have to look into this, even if it's just for the nicely done animation. Those backgrounds are seriously impressive, and the character designs are pretty cute!

I can't help but notice a couple red flags, though. I'm not very impressed at how much of a blatant Mayor Bellwether knockoff Phyllis Cloverleaf clearly is. Couldn't they at least have made her LOOK different? Same hairstyle, same glasses...I mean, if you're going to rip off Pixar, why not at least be more subtle about it? Oh well, I could probably learn to overlook that...

But there's something else I'm not sure I can overlook, and that's the use of technology. One of the most charming things about the original Equestria was that they made a point of not having modern technology be a part of it. There weren't cell phones, there weren't robots (?!?), and there sure wasn't any social media. More often than not, I find social media annoying enough in real life as it is, so it especially disappoints me to see that they put it in MLP now, and for what? Because Equestria wasn't going to be cool and trendy enough without it? Every time technology randomly shows up in one of these clips, it jars me right out of the feel of MLP.

Also, I have to second @ImpracticalDino in saying that it seems odd (and disappointing) for Equestria to have become THIS backwards in the days gone by since G4. Feels like the best idea Hasbro could come up with was to rehash the first episode of FiM's "friends can be different" lesson but just on a larger scale.

But contrary to what this post might make you guys think, I truly am looking forward to this movie being released, I swear! :slap I mean, who knows? Maybe I'll love it. Maybe I'll love to hate it. :lol In any case, I'm curious to see what this will be all about! Thanks for keeping us updated @The Chronicler -- I haven't even bothered to look for news about this movie elsewhere because you're providing so much coverage! :)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
@RainbowFaceProtege , all I'm really doing is checking Equestria Daily every day and simply passing along the things I find most interesting.

Anyway, another day, another new clip, this time what might be Pipp's first appearance in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwgdrh8Jjxw

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Less than a day away, and a whole bunch of clips and music videos have come up, so I won't even bother linking the videos and just go for the Equestria Daily pages and let you decide whether or not to watch potential spoilers.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2021/09/new-clip-shows-off-izzys-house.html
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2021/09/english-version-if-izzys-song-fit-right.html
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2021/09/danger-danger-my-little-pony-new.html

I don't have much time to spare tonight for other things, so I'll just say my next post here will be my summary and review of the movie, once I've had a chance to see it.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I spent some time yesterday familiarizing myself with how to use Netflix before I was finally able to watch the movie last night. As I've done with TV series episodes, I have avoided reading any comments before sharing my review here (which, naturally, will be behind a spoiler tag so those who have not yet seen the movie can avoid seeing my comment). I was originally going to include a summary of the events as well, but now that I think about it, it'll be very time-consuming for me to write all of that myself, so instead, I'll just provide a link to its page on the MLP Wiki site (you don't have to go to that page if you don't want to read it) and share my thoughts under the spoiler tag here.

I have to say, this is quite an interesting new version of Equestria we've been introduced to. Some advances in technology makes it obvious that quite some time has passed since the days of FiM. In a way, this results in some very interesting new settings, the three most significant being the Earth Pony coastal town of Maretime Bay (I'd describe it as pre-digital late 20th Century), the Pegasus mountaintop city of Zephyr Heights (fully modern with smartphones and large video screens on the sides of buildings), and the Unicorn home of Bridlewood (rather primitive with bits and pieces of later tech repurposed, so perhaps a modern poor nation would be an accurate analogue). Not to mention, it seems the FiM adventures occurred so long ago that they are now considered ancient history and even disregarded by many as myths. And of course, there's the status quo of this new Equestria where the three kinds are divided and largely fear and despise each other through false stereotypes (to the point where they each don't even know the other kinds have long since lost their magic), with only a select few ponies willing to look past all of that nonsense and see there's no reason to hate each other at all.

There's also the new main cast of ponies to consider. First is Sunny Starscout, who has been so persistent in her efforts to encourage friendship that she had gained a reputation as a troublemaker. There's Hitch Trailblazer, the town sheriff who has been friends with Sunny since childhood, but his duty to uphold the law has left him frequently at odds with her. The unicorn Izzy Moonbow is very enthusiastic, highly creative with just about anything, and eager to see past the differences to be willing to befriend any pony she meets. Zipp Storm is a member of the pegasus royal family, but has no interest in royalty and would rather spend her time going out and using her impressive athleticism to come as close as possible to feeling like she could fly. And finally, the pegasus princess Pipp Petals is a popular singer and social media influencer who always seems to have her phone nearby, but had little reason to really care for others (especially her older sister Zipp). There are a few other characters introduced in this movie as well, most notably for me is the guy who ultimately became the main villain, Sprout, who in just a couple days went from temporary sheriff to a supreme dictator who demanded construction of a tank-like vehicle to attack all unicorns and pegasi.

As for the events of the movie, I found it interesting how the group of friends eventually came together and learned to trust each other. Sunny and Izzy got along very quickly, Zipp was eager to help when she found out those two were seeking to restore the lost magic to all the unicorns and pegasi, Pipp was forced to flee her home because of an unfortunate incident and joined the traveling group with whom she soon learned to get along with and grew to appreciate, and Hitch initially followed Sunny to arrest her but eventually got to know the other ponies and realized that Sunny's dream of friendship between all ponies could actually be possible. I also enjoyed some of the funny moments throughout the movie (such as Hitch saying all of the "forbidden words" to keep the superstitious unicorns busy with a chant and dance so the five friends could escape). And as you might expect, this movie also had a few songs in quite a wide variety of genres (somehow, the one that I found most catchy was that angry mob theme led by Sprout). Also, there's some fun in pausing the movie at certain moments and trying to identify some amusing minor details that you otherwise might have missed (my personal favorite was trying to identify the several brand names that are spoofed in the ad signs all over Zephyr Heights).

Finally, there's much to consider on where the upcoming series is likely to go from here. Fist of all, with magic now restored to all the ponies and everyone apparently now happily visiting the other places, it'll be interesting to see what new sort of challenges will await the Main 5. I honestly can't believe that Sprout, who literally tried to start a full-scale war between the three pony tribes, has been essentially allowed free without any punishment despite expressing little regret for his actions, so that's something I feel needs to be addressed relatively soon. I'm not sure what will become of Sunny's home in the lighthouse after it was significantly destroyed, but I personally find it hard to believe that she and her late father were the only ones who kept any remaining records of Equestria's past, so I doubt the destruction would be too significant of a loss. And finally, I'm already hearing much debate over whether Sunny's alicorn transformation is temporary or permanent (I feel like it's a little too soon for her to earn something that took Twilight Sparkle three seasons to earn, so put me on the side of temporary for now), but I'm certain that question will be answered next year once the upcoming series gets underway.

Overall, a very exciting beginning to the new generation of pony. In fact, once I can find some time to spare, I absolutely intend to watch it again at least a couple more times. And of course, I'm eagerly looking forward to what else these five best friends will get to experience together, when the series begins sometime next year.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 10:16:00 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Although the movie is already available to watch, it seems some new video clips are still coming out (though be advised that there's quite a bit of spoiler content in some parts, if you have not yet seen the movie).

First, all of the songs as seen in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWijhYUqrYA

This one shows the introduction of every featured character in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l39kx-Uq_oY

A compilation of some of Sunny Starscout's best moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npkTANlScXw

And today's new release, a compilation of some of Izzy Moonbow's best moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r27wZxvFJU

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know what?  I think I'm back! :)

After watching the new movie, and very much enjoying it, I think it's time I went back and finish watching what I missed.  I know it won't be easy, but I'm determined to get back into it.

So, yeah.  I think the new movie has reignited my love for the franchise.

I'll be fully back when I finally catch up.  I promise to pop in every now and then.  For now, I need to finish the G4 Series.

Considering where I left off, I'd best be ready for the worst.

See ya later! :wave

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Looks like the flood of new videos has come to an end, because there's been only one new release with anything interesting since my latest post. This one is a compilation of some of Zipp Storm's best moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-AhZAY5-GU

A young readers book was recently announced, revealing what might be a synopsis for an episode of the upcoming series next year:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2021/09/new-izzy-comes-home-book-may-reveal.html

Finally, the first piece of news not related to the New Generation movie that I've shared in quite some time, a three page preview of the final issue of the FiM comic book series, scheduled to be released less than two weeks from now:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2021/09/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-102.html

- Berix

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I was pleasently surprised, that movie did a great job. Love the main character, and I can definitely see potential for plenty of stories to tell in this new world. Though I still refuse to believe it would be possible for ponies to operate those cell phones

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
I was pretty pleased with the movie; very glad we're leaving G4 behind  :PAli