The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Granda Pa Longneck

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

Grand Pa Longneck has been like a father figure to me. He is a caring, compassionate, and kind parent to Little Foot. He knows when to challenge Little Foot without being overbearing. He always has an understanding posture and attitude, a contrast to the more dogmatic Mr. Threehorn. I am of the opinion that Grand Pa Longneck's character and behavior has had major effect on Little Foot. While I am glad Bron was introduced, Grand Pa Longeck reflects a different kind of leadership. Bron has to lead a herd, and has a more practical approach with kindness attatched, and heroism, but Grandpa Longeck has a softer approach and wants a consensus rather than Apatosaur autocracy (which Bron understandably has no choice but to use for his herd of Longnecks). Granda Pa Long Neck approaches leadership in a group better, because he takes into consideration everyone's feelings, opinions, and views, while always making a sensible stand.

I think one of the reasons LBTIV is a favorite of mine is because I was as concerned as Little Foot over Grandpa's health. The journey to get the Nightflower was tense because I at time didn't know the outcome and how many more installments in the franchise we would get.

Kenneth Mars as voice of Grand Pa (until LBXIV) has always been what I wish my grandpa's voice was. It is so soft and reassuring, in fact Kenneth Mars even reminds me of what God the Father's (of the Trinity) voice sounds like.

Am I the only one effected by Granda Pa Longneck?

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think I can attribute a chunk of my appreciation and acceptance of older gents and lassies to the Land Before Time series. It's one of few shows it seems to have an emphasis on older adults, even senior. Grandpa longneck reminds me of my own grandpa, especially in voice

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What a awesome character he's very kind caring and gives great advice to everyone. Even tho no one listens to him much he never yells or raises his voice.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Apr 28 2017 on  09:00 AM
What a awesome character he's very kind caring and gives great advice to everyone. Even tho no one listens to him much he never yells or raises his voice.
That is a great testimony. I never considered that Granda Pa and Granda Ma Longneck helped me better relate, appreciate, and understand more senior people. You are blessed to have grand pa, and one who sounds like Kenneth Mars.

To: Adfan 185, I like that about Granda Pa Longneck too. Unlike Mr. Threehorn, he never blows his lid and yells at anyone. His disposition is always kindness and understanding. Even when strangest of vistors come to Great Valley (uh Tinysaurs) he doesn't jump to conclusions. Granda Pa Longneck even affords a lot of grace for Topsy, who is his foil and opposite, and who jumps to the most extreme and rather mean dispositions.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah exactly topsy is a bigot who hates everything and everyone and grandpa longneck is a kind loving accepting character that would welcome those tinysaurs and not harm them at all.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Apr 28 2017 on  07:26 PM
Yeah exactly topsy is a bigot who hates everything and everyone and grandpa longneck is a kind loving accepting character that would welcome those tinysaurs and not harm them at all.
I think Topsy is really just quick to judge, and expects the worst. Granda Pa Longneck reserves judgement and waits patiently to see the truth before jumping to conclusions.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah yeah true but I do like how grandpa always proves topsy wrong when he does get like that. He's always there for the gang when they need advice

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Apr 28 2017 on  11:12 PM
Ah yeah true but I do like how grandpa always proves topsy wrong when he does get like that. He's always there for the gang when they need advice
It is interesting, Topsy and his daughter Cera tend to be wrong, especially when it comes to directions. In point of fact, I don't think I've ever seen Grand Pa Longneck be wrong.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Nope I haven't seen that either he's very wise and very knowledgeable about everything that seems to go on around him.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
In a way I think Longnecks are metaphor for the fact that they can see more than others, they can lower their head into another's situation, while Threehorns and others must look from ground up.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah true triceratops are mostly Know to Be stubborn and not see reasoning and take drastic actions towards everything. But longnecks like grandpa longneck are much More reasonable and like to think things through.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Apr 28 2017 on  03:10 AM
Kenneth Mars as voice of Grand Pa (until LBXIV) has always been what I wish my grandpa's voice was. It is so soft and reassuring, in fact Kenneth Mars even reminds me of what God the Father's (of the Trinity) voice sounds like.
I love Kenneth Mars' voice too. I would have loved for him to return for another movie but unfortunately he passed away. He had just a perfect voice for Grandpa Longneck.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hypnobrai,Apr 30 2017 on  02:17 PM
I love Kenneth Mars' voice too. I would have loved for him to return for another movie but unfortunately he passed away. He had just a perfect voice for Grandpa Longneck.
I agree, Grand Pa Longneck is iconic. There are on screen grand fathers, and Grand Pa Longeck is one of best. I miss Kenneth Mars, his replacement in Journey of Brave is hard to adjust to.  :cry

Littlefoot fan 1990

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://vitaniandkovulover.deviantart.com/
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Jun 1 2017 on  07:14 PM
I agree, Grand Pa Longneck is iconic. There are on screen grand fathers, and Grand Pa Longeck is one of best. I miss Kenneth Mars, his replacement in Journey of Brave is hard to adjust to.  :cry
Kenneth Mars is although, dead; I still consider him to be one of my favorite voice actors. When I write fanfiction, I imagine him as the voice of Grandpa Longneck. It's true that I didn't really like the casting choice for Grandpa Longneck in Journey of the Brave. Why they couldn't bring Jim Cummings back into the series after his guest appearance as Sierra in LBT7, is one answer I may never get; ugh! He's the only other actor I think would be great at voicing Grandpa Longneck. Still, it's hard to imagine Grandpa Longneck being voiced by a different actor since Kenneth Mars had voiced him for so many years and I easily got adjusted to it.  :(petrie  :cry

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot fan 1990,Jun 1 2017 on  07:30 PM
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Jun 1 2017 on  07:14 PM
Kenneth Mars is although, dead; I still consider him to be one of my favorite voice actors. When I write fanfiction, I imagine him as the voice of Grandpa Longneck. It's true that I didn't really like the casting choice for Grandpa Longneck in Journey of the Brave. Why they couldn't bring Jim Cummings back into the series after his guest appearance as Sierra in LBT7, is one answer I may never get; ugh! He's the only other actor I think would be great at voicing Grandpa Longneck. Still, it's hard to imagine Grandpa Longneck being voiced by a different actor since Kenneth Mars had voiced him for so many years and I easily got adjusted to it.  :(petrie  :cry
I agree, I think they could have found someone who sounded more like Kenneth Mars. Or better, with technology today, and creating voice changers, one wonders if they could have taken Kenneth Mars voice and allowed someone else to speak through a microphone and it bee Mars voice (they did this I think in Superman Returns).