The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

More Doctor Who fan fiction trouble

Ptyra · 1 · 1083

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
For the last few years, I've been struggling with two Doctor Who stories, both of which now intertwine with each other. But I have another topic for those two.

This one is new, and is probably going to be a bit more...controversial, I guess? If not touchy and perhaps even "gross" to some.

For those who don't follow Doctor Who, Skaro is the planet that the Daleks came from, and its environment was utterly destroyed by their Kaled ancestors' war with another race called the Thals. The war ended when a nuclear bomb was set off and destroyed everything. The deranged Kaled scientist was prepared for such an event, having created a mutant strain of Kaleds that he called Daleks. For a thousand years, the Daleks were unable to leave their city, and had to rely on static electricity to power their casings, and their hearts; they were also sensitive to low levels of radiation, and this prevented them from being able to leave their casings. The Doctor came with his granddaughter and two of her schoolteachers, and they helped the Thals to stop the Daleks from setting off another bomb. And that's just the super diet version.

My story takes place two hundred years after this. The Doctor's visit is a landmark of history, and the Daleks now know that there are other living beings in the universe--information that they are intensely threatened by; they have perhaps the most intense xenophobia the universe has seen. For now, they are figuring out alternate methods of travel outside of their city, creating the solar-powered disks that would later be used in the Daleks' second appearance in the show, where they have taken over the Earth in the late 21st century. The Thals, meanwhile, are starting to fall to a new level of suffering; there has been a dip in their capability to survive the radiation, and infant mortality rates have spiked; it's hard for a Thal woman to even complete a pregnancy in this time, and if it is completed, then it's even harder for the child to live to be five years old.

Ferja is such a Thal, whose longest-lived child dies from radiation sickness at six months old. While trying to work through her grief, she stumbles upon a Dalek whose casing has collapsed down a ravine, stranding it; it was never rescued for several weeks, leaving it to assume it was believed dead. By the time Ferja finds it, it is close to starving to death before anything else can kill it. Seeking only to survive, the Dalek convinces Ferja to nurse it back to health (in more ways than one  ;) ).
The agreement ends up putting both of them on track for disaster; they form a filial bond, and put themselves and Ferja's kinsmen in danger from the other Daleks.

The greatest issue I have right now is for events beyond the meeting of Ferja and her Dalek (who she later names; haven't found a good one yet). Namely, the events in which Ferja is helping the Dalek recover. I'm going to cut the BS and have the other Thals know about the arrangement, and even give her support, hoping it would bring peace. It's easier than having Ferja sneak around and keep the Dalek a secret, plus it works in the benevolence and pacifism of the Thals as a species. The Thals also view Ferja's relationship with her Dalek as an act of piety, thinking of it like the Roman virtue, pietas.
It would probably take a few months for the full recovery, so there would have to be a lot of story to fill in that I'm just drawing massive blanks on. Which includes the other characters; I feel like they're just sitting around. They other four characters are Ferja's best friend, and the three men who Ferja attempted to have children with, which includes the leader of the troop. Hey...you gots to do what you can when your species is at risk of endangerment.

Regarding my concern about the story being considered "gross" or "touchy" is because it's an inter-species (platonic-filial) love story, with breastfeeding at its crux. The title is inspired by the ancient exemplary story Roman Charity and well.... It's probably even The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck with its plot mixed up like a deck of cards. A lot of the themes are similar. I can see how the whole idea does look weird, but I want it to be sweet at second glance. It's still a love story, but not a romance--and certainly not star-crossed love, since there's desire for peace and unity on one side of the factions, and highly approves this particular opportunity for it. Oh, those Thals...optimists at the very worst of times.

I would love suggestions for filling in the gaps of the story, as well as anything else, including character development and interactions. Other thoughts in general would be great too.