The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Journey of the Brave (LBT 14)

Mumbling · 763 · 112420

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I was able to get it through the XBox store-- I'm not sure if that'll help, but I thought I should bring it up.

Hero of Legend

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Just took a look at George Ball (Topsy)  and Barry Bostwick's (Grandpa Longneck) wiki and IMDB pages.

And WOW, apparently George Ball was in General Hospital, just like John Ingle was. O_o

Barry was Thunderbolt in 101 Dalmatians 2, and he was also Grandpa Clyde Flynn in Phineas & Ferb, but I never really watched that show. :p

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
First up, spoilers in this post.

Well, finally got to see the movie myself. Got the movie in the mail a day late, but at least I got it.

My bar going in was movie 13, and I'm glad to say it's a lot better than that... thing.

The animation was pretty good, I think. Haven't seen any of the other sequals in quite a while, so can't really compare unless I see them side by side. THe backgrounds were really nice, like others have said, and while I hated the CG, they at least didn't use a lot of it.

Yeah, the voices for Grandpa and Topsy are really weird, but I don't see what they could have done about it. Especially Grandpa's original voice was very unique, and hard to impersonate. It was either trying to find new Voices for them, or not having them speak at all, and both options suck really. :sducky

I was kinda pleasantly surprised that they got right to the chase, and got the gang on their journey pretty quickly. I know about the first 10 or so minutes were slow, especially the first 5 with all the narration, but like a previous member said, it was kinda necessary to explain a few things that people not seeing some of the sequels needed to know, especially since it's been 8 years since the last movie.

And yeah, Shorty not being mentioned at all was weird. Oh well, Chomper probably had some longneck steaks when nobody was looking. :lol

Speaking of him, I would have loved for Chomper and Ruby to have more screen time, but I understand they wanted to focus on the Gang for most of it. It's great to see they fixed Chomper's design, what with the 2 fingers instead of three, and his voice was pretty good.  Really loved Wild arms meeting Chomper. Always love it when characters meet the friendly sharptooth, as it's usually very awkward and funny. :D

I hope we keep seeing Ruby and Chomper in any possible future movies. I mean, they now live in the valley, and it's evident with them being in this movie that Universal's not just gonna forget that.

Wow, didn't even talk about the new characters yet. I guess I found them both not horrible or anything. They were both funny, and it was nice that they weren't overused. I would have HATED Wildarms if he was used as much as, say the yellowbellies were, but he was only in it enough to not piss me off. And I liked Etta's attitude and personality. Loved her mentioning a friend that stuck his head in a sharptooth's mouth to save somebody, but isn't around anymore, since he, well, put his head in a sharptooth's mouth! :lol

So, I did kinda like this movie, and I hope it sells enough to warrant more movies after this. :DD
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

SuperGameWarrior101

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Can someone eventually record the movie from the DVD and then upload it to this website?

http://kisscartoon.me/

DaviSantos

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Guys i dont know in your country but here in Brazil it's been a long time since the last time a tlb movie was on TV. But the land before time V is going to be on TV today!!!!!!!!!!! After sÛ many years

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
That's awesome, Davi! Is it a full on Portuguese dub, or is it a subbed version?

DaviSantos

• Ruby
    • View Profile
As it will be broadcast by a childreen Channel I belive it will be Just on Portuguese

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just spent the last 4 hours or so catching up on everything that has been said or shared in this thread I avoided so far :p

Pretty interesting how different opinions about the movie are. Some really love it while others think it's crap. I'll tear the movie apart next weekend (and for once in my life attempt a LBT movie marathon! :blink:) but I'll say this much: I liked it, mostly! ^^spike

To everybody who can't watch the movie, send a PM to Pokeplayer, he has uploaded the movie somewhere (which is how I got around to see it  :exactly ). Alternatively, I also have the link now ;)
Inactive, probably forever.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Let me start with this

I don't know how I managed to be both charmed and horrendously annoyed by Wild Arms, but it happened. He might share some colors with Pterano in terms of self-preservation, but even he'd call him out on leaving children in danger for it.
The moment he showed up, I immediately thought "Oh noooooo."

What even is he anyway?

Etta was a little different than I expected, but I'll still shriek, "All aboard" for shipping her with Pterano. Ship name Pteretta?
"I had a sister who would do anything for her friends. Once she stuck her head in a Sharptooth's mouth for one. Of course, she's not around anymore..."
Now THAT was morbid for a very, very late LBT sequel  :lol .
She was sweet as I hoped, though in a different way than I expected. I was expecting a southern country mom type character (she IS voiced by Reba after all), but I didn't expect the family stories and forgetfulness.

She could have easily been replaced with Pterano in this setting though, since part of the story was about reuniting with family. Maybe played by Maurice LaMarche considering Michael York's health these days. If they wanted a flier in the Mysterious Beyond, why not use him?

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Ok I've seen the film and here are my thought.
Warning this will be very opinionated and I may go on a bit..

Well I will say LBT 14 was no Jurassic world or Star War the force awakens.
I was quite disappointed I was hoping they'd lean from past sins but they went and made new one. Though to be fair it wasn't nearly as bad as LBT 13 or 6 my personal least favourite in the franchise.

First off my main problem with the film was the use of silly cartoon sound effects. There were FAR too many and make the film look like a feature length generic Saturday morning cartoon. Every time I heard a silly sound I'd ever roll my eyes or say "Oh for God sake!"  If I made a drinking game of every cartoon sound in the film I'd be dead after the first 20 min!
I think the worst was the pin ball machine sound effect that played when Petrie bounced off some adult flyers.
In my opinion silly sound effects just don't work with LBT. I mean imagine if the other films had silly sounds in  say when Littlefoot's mum fight's Sharptooth, or when Chomper's parents chase the gang, Or when the Great valley residents escape the fire, or when Cera fell in the river and Ali saves her from Dil, or the fight with Chomper's parent's and the plated Sharptooth. Hell that scene had flesh tearing sound effects!
Universal if you want to do better then NO CARTOON SOUND EFFECTS!!
It's the land before time not the Flintstones!

Also there was no sign of Shorty not that I'm complaining I don't like him but still, continuity thrown out the window again. And if the infamous LittlefootAndAliTogether were still here he'd be having a major tantrum about him not been in the film, I know he likes Shorty too well cause he did a long arse whiney rant at me when I said I didn't like him..
I personally was unhappy that Tria and Tricia were nowhere to be seen, if they do make more films I hope they appear in them. As I'll be very pissed and sad if they've forgotten that Cera now has a step mum and half sister..
Another continuity error is that Bron's herd in LBT 10 was long necked dinosaurs only. But now it has hadrosaur's , styracosaurus and Wild arms in it..    

Next up Wild arm. Ok one word. ANNOYING!with a capital A.  I found him annoying the moment I saw him, one of the most annoying characters in the franchise in my books. Not to mention the fact the most of the silly sound effects came from him.
Thank GOD! He didn't go with Littlefoot and the others.

Etta was ok but I fond her stereotypical Texas accent pretty annoying.

The animation was ok far better then the TV show. But the CGI in some part were awful! And just a small nit-pick but I noticed and bugged me was Cera's eyelids were the wrong colour, Throughout the whole movie. Normally in the past films there light yellow like the rings around her eyes, but in this film her lids were orange making her look like she's wearing monocles. Been eagle eyed with mistakes and been on my favourite character I found it very distracting.

I also got a real  Deja vu feel from the scene were Littlefoot fell out with the others and they split up.. Yeah like that's never happened before. Way to be original universal.
Also that stupid scene were those annoying tiny digger dinosaurs  think Petrie is a leader and prise him. That's only one of the most done to death clichÈs in kids media. I mean it happened to Spike in the TV show too.  

Then there's the voice cast.. Grandpa long neck's new voice was very poor and sounded NOTHING like Kenneth Mars at all and sounded too young more like a middle aged man then a old man.
At least Topsy's new VA was trying to imitate John Engle.
And another problem I had was them still hiring Ducky and Cera's current VA's. I know I've said this loads of time, and that I'm out voted on the topic and that others say they can't see anyone else voicing them.
 but I still stand by it to this day, and always will not matter what other people tell me..
Cera and Ducky need recasting with kid actresses.
In this movie they both sounded just as forced to sound child like as ever to me.
And I also know from the video I saw Aria and Anndi would understand if they were to be recast as that's life for actors.
But by the looks of thing's their suck with the rolls until the day they die.

Now for the song, I actually didn't mind then except for one, and that was Hot and stinky. Or hot and sh***y as I like to call it.
Seriously this to me was the worst and most embarrassing song since oops eeps..
It sounded like a song you'd hear in sesame street or Dora the explore.
Was that scene even worthy of a song, it was just the gang covering their smell with pond weed.  
And they just had to re-play the song in the credits... -_-

And this was just wishful thinking.
But I was kinda hoping they'd reuse some of the 1st movie music by the late James Horner.
But no.. I wish the films still used it.
It would be a nice tribute if they reused the music in any future LBT movies as James Horner is no longer with us.
Still the film did reuse some of my favourite sequel music.

I also don't get why Chomper and Ruby were soo underplayed. Their members of the gang now so why not have them come along with them!?

And I find the ending was kinda rushed. I was hoping there'd be a final show down with the carnotaurus after they recused Bron.

And Bron was hardly in the film too.

We didn't even see if they got back to the great valley ok.

I was even hoping the film would maybe have Bron come back to stay as a main character and live with Littlefoot and he and his herd steal down in the great valley..

On the whole I don't think the film was all that good and won't be re-watching it any time soon.

The writers and producers etc clearly didn't but much effort into it or to make things better.
No to me they made thing worse E.G. with said silly sound effects.

So sorry to be negative but I was pretty disappointed with the film.

I wasn't expecting something like the first movie , but at least something like the Roy Allen Smith era.

Universal (I know they'd never really do this) should  really let us fans come up with ideas for new LBT movies and work on the production.
Hell I'd do it for free as long as I get coffee and a doughnut..

Well with all that said, at some point soon I'm gonna recover from this disappointment, by re-watching an old childhood friend.

That ben LBT 4, my top favourite sequel.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dalekdino,Feb 8 2016 on  05:57 AM
Another continuity error is that Bron's herd in LBT 10 was long necked dinosaurs only. But now it has hadrosaur's , styracosaurus and Wild arms in it.
I wouldn't consider this a continuity error.  Let's not forget that this takes place AFTER LBT 10.  Maybe the non-longnecks are ones that joined him AFTER those events.  Just speculating.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Feb 8 2016 on  04:04 PM
Quote from: Dalekdino,Feb 8 2016 on  05:57 AM
Another continuity error is that Bron's herd in LBT 10 was long necked dinosaurs only. But now it has hadrosaur's , styracosaurus and Wild arms in it.
I wouldn't consider this a continuity error.  Let's not forget that this takes place AFTER LBT 10.  Maybe the non-longnecks are ones that joined him AFTER those events.  Just speculating.
Yes.. I was meant to say something like that, but forgot to put it in.
Yeah maybe over time Bron now exspets other types of Dino's in his herd.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
wow, you're fast. I was gonna put it up myself. :p

I went on her Patreon to see it about a day early to see it, and I was waiting for it to be put out for everyone before linking it.

Anyway, I was very surprised by her review, honestly. Now, yes, she did still have tons of bad things to say about the movie, just like in her reviews of the other movies years ago, but she actually makes some concietes here.

She actually calls this movie one of the best sequals, saying it seemed like somebody in the company actually cared about the movie, and fought for it to not be completely dumbed down, and for elements of original movie to be put in (Such as Littlefoot and Cera's falling out, some similarities with the sharptooth chase scenes, ect.)

She still called the movie bad overall, and she wants this to be the end of the franchise, but not for the same reason as she had before. She sees this as about the best Universal can pull off with a direct to DVD movie, and unless they wanna do a theatrical release, she wants the series to at least end on a kinda high note, instead of the lowest note possible with Wisdom of Friends.

So, yeah. Wondering what Pokeplayer thinks of this :p
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I knew she would put it out eventually.  In truth, I am surprised by her reaction to it.  I mean, I did expect her to not like the movie, but I did not expect her to also give it some praise.  Then again, maybe it's the fact that it's been five years since she last involved herself with the franchise and has had time to reflect on her thoughts of the other sequels.

Yeah, now that she points it out, I do notice the elements of the first movie in it.  They would have probably skipped by me completely, but there they are.  Sure, it's never going to tug on your heartstrings like the original.  I don't expect any of the sequels to.  However, it is there.  It just goes to show that someone in there cared.  It's also why I need to say something.

Since I saw it, I was trying to figure out what kept me from hating it.  I am not blind to the flaws.  I see them all.  I see the obvious CG, but the animation is SO smooth that it hardly matters.  I see the personality flaws, but they make the plot work so well.  I hear the cartoon-like sound effects, but I can't seem to care about that.  None of the songs are great, but they're good enough to not be terrible.  All of it, along with the cameo parts of the first film, tells me one thing and I'm glad Marzgurl helped me figure it out.

It's because I can respect it.  It's why I'll NEVER hate this one.  I respect it because SOMEONE CARED!

Whoever this person was, I know what they are going through.  The company is looking to do anything to ruin it, but you are the only one who cares it seems enough to do what you can.  You can't save it.  You know that, but you are willing to do what you can to salvage it.  You know it won't be great, but who cares?  You care enough to make sure it doesn't come out as not a complete pile of crap.  In the end, you do everything you can to make that happen.

Much of whom worked on this may not have cared, but someone did.  I respect them for caring enough to salvage what could have been a terrible film.  Whoever you are, thank you for making this a solid movie.

And thank you, Marzgurl for helping me see that.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
You know for ones... I actually agree with MarzGurl.. She disliked all the same things as I did in the film. Mainly the hot and stinky song, and the goofy cartoony sound effects.

Parker

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Weird. I don't remember these cartoon sound effects people are talking about at all. I knew about them before watching the movie, but I flat-out didn't notice any that stood out. Guess I'll have to listen for them when I watch the movie again tonight.

I also don't get why Chomper and Ruby were soo underplayed. Their members of the gang now so why not have them come along with them!?

I imagine the filmmakers wanted to give the original gang of five most of the focus, to make the movie feel more reminiscent of the other ones.

That, and having fewer characters on screen likely helped them save money on animation.  :DD

I see the personality flaws, but they make the plot work so well.

I'm curious what you mean by this, pokeplayer. The only personality flaws I noticed in the film were the ones that the characters have always had to a certain extent. Stuff like Littlefoot always wanting to be the leader and Cera complaining about various things. These flaws make them who they are. Without them, they'd be rather boring to watch.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Minor spoilers!

Even though I haven’t been active for a long time, I’d like to share my thoughts on the movie.
First of all, I really liked it, well mostly. JOTB was the best sequel since 7 and perhaps the second best sequel overall.

On the first view time, I had more problems with this, but on the second time they didn’t feel as bad.

The story was pretty solid and worked well. Perhaps not the most complex but should it be?

The animation was interesting: mostly it was great but sometimes really awkward, especially the CGI. I’m very glad that Universal got as great animator as Ruben Aquino as directing animator. Plus the backgrounds were amazing.

I actually liked every song. My favorite one was probably Today’s the day though Look for the Light was very good too. The two others were nice, nothing great, but four solid songs were a positive surprise.

The voice actors mostly did an awesome job. Ball and Bostwick weren’t as good as Ingle and Mars but they were okay. Avitia was one of the best Littlefoots to date.

I really liked Etta: she had a good role and I liked her personality. I was very concerned about Wild Arms but he turned out okay: usually I hate purely comic characters but he wasn’t that bad.  Personally I dislike Tria and Tricia so their absence was a great relief.

I actually had only two major problems with the movie. First were the lizards: they were terrible. Watching the movie, I felt that they were the last thing we needed.  Luckily their brief screen time prevented any major damage.

The other thing was the ending. It was rushed and unbelievable. Bron has been lying on a rock, middle of lava for days, his leg apparently injured and then he just runs away after cooling the lava with water? Ugh. Also, Shorty’s absence was strange but nothing that bothered me too much.

I’m really puzzled by the comments on sound effects. After two viewings, I still remember none.
Overall, a very good film. I’d give it 8/10.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I've finally managed to watch it last night. I must confess my expectations were pretty low, not because I thought it was going to be bad, but only to prevent myself from being disappointed. Luckily, Journey of the Brave was a very pleasant surprise, and it now ranks as my 7th favourite sequel of all time, on par with The Great Day of the Flyers.

The most important thing about this movie is that after almost 9 years we finally got to see a new story with our favourite gang. Most of us didn't believe it could ever happen, but it did. As another user said, someone cared enough about The Land Before Time to make another. And, whatever the result, it's always a great day when we get to revisit our friends and see them go through a new adventure.

Story wise, it's not that complex, it's a simple journey/rescue mission, with some shout outs to the original film, and some of the sequels. It's action is on point, although the sharpteeth in this movie were way too cartoony. I get it that they're trying to make the dinosaurs a bit more scientifically accurate, but giving them feathers when there were none before is just silly. They could've just stuck with good old T-Rexs and Raptors. Nobody watches TLBT to see the new Sharptooth.

The Carnotaurus design was just weird. I don't mind the grey colours, but they could've at least straightened out the horns.

The Hanna Barbera sound effects were a bit much, and very unnecessary, as was the CG, but thank goodness they didn't use much of it.

As for Shorty, I only realized he was missing after reading some of the comments. I don't really care for the character, but truth be told the plot didn't really need him, it would just add another subplot, and an extra character in an already crowded ensemble. Granted, if it was written well, we could've seen Shorty and Littlefoot grow as half-siblings, maybe it would make more sense for the two of them to be fighting, instead of Littlefoot and Cera, but then Cera wouldn't get enough screen time, and it wouldn't justify Littlefoot's friends leaving them.

Petrie and Wild Arms as comic reliefs were also on point. Especially seeing Petrie become King of those tiny dinos. Wild Arms was a bit much, but he didn't get a lot of screen time, which was a good choice on the director's part.

Etta was great. A bit reminisce of Archie from Journey through the Mists, but in a more comedic and helpful role.

The songs took a page out of the TV Series, and, apart from Look for the Light, served as plot devices and replacements for dialogue. It's not something we haven't already seen, so, even though I personally don't care for it, it's in the tone of TLBT sequels.

I really wished they drew Chomper with only two fingers. Is it just me or did he have 2 fingers in some scenes and 3 in others? I know the 3rd finger is drawn in a way that it's smaller and can hide like a thumb, but I think the artists just got it wrong.

Would've loved to see more of Ruby and Chomper, they were only thrown in there for fan service, but still, at least we got to see them again.

All in all, it's a good movie, and I believe it will do well in sales. I hope they start releasing it on DVD outside of the US as soon as possible.

Maybe we'll get to see a few more sequels, maybe not. But at least we got a better ending to the franchise than Wisdom of Friends.

Did any of you got the chills when "The Land Before Time" titled popped up in the opening sequence like I did? :)littlefoot
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool