The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 75404

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A break may help you from burning out on the project and it may give you time to get some great ideas and such also.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, a lot has been done since the last time ive played it. Great job so far Tim! As for the temporary (hopefully) break, i completely understand. At least it will let me fool around a bit with the game.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
yeah, I just found out that I'm working 53 hours this week (while also trying to find a better job! :p) so I apologize if I won't be around much.  :lol:  :p

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
o.O

I hope you give yourself breaks during that time!  :( Because my lord, you must be exhausted!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I dont think that's too healthy Tim, take it easy :unsure:

I've tried playing the game on my laptop, no crash this time, but I dont think I'll be able to play it. Look at this.

Doesn't really work  :x

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(Yay, finally I can respond without my internet crashing! :p)

I dont think that's too healthy Tim, take it easy
It's not too bad, I just try to remember that the money will be put to good use. :)
Don't worry, you know I'm lazy. :p I won't overwork myself.  :)  :DD

I've tried playing the game on my laptop, no crash this time, but I dont think I'll be able to play it. Look at this.
I'll work on a solution to this later.  My theory is that reducing the maximum view distance will allow the game to run with less powerful video cards.  Hopefully I can push the requirements low enough that we can get it running on systems like that laptop.  No promises but I shall do my best! B)

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile
Every time I tried to play it, the screen turns blue except for the grass.  Then the computer locks up and I have to reset it.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: General Grievous,Oct 15 2008 on  09:49 PM
Every time I tried to play it, the screen turns blue except for the grass.  Then the computer locks up and I have to reset it.
Have you tried downloading the low resolution package? Maybe it's too much for your computer. You can download it from a link on page 5.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think you have to overlay it.  Look for Action9000's instructions somewhere above, as to what to do with the package.  Good Luck.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Good news everyone, I have an update ready! :)
LBT RPG v0.11

This isn't a huge update but I'm sure somebody will get a kick out of this one. :p.

New Stuff/Changes:

1) Water on the map, including the following features:
- Transparent water.
- Game knows when you enter or leave the water and whether you fall/jump in/out or walk in/out.
- New lighting and physics while swimming.  Please read the instruction file to understand how to control your character in water if you're confused.

2) Camera collision is being totally reworked and has been REMOVED from this version. The camera will be able to pass through all objects.  I did this so swimming is playable in the meantime.

3) Changed most of the images to lower-resolution versions (same ones as in the previous patch).  These images will be used from now on until the game is much further in development.

4) Disabled the realtime shadows on the cube again.

Known Bugs/Issues:
1) If you swim out of the water (by just swimming up instead of jumping out of the water), you will need to jump twice in order to get back into the water.

2) You cannot dive into the water unless you fall in to the water.  You can jump in from the surface or from land but you can't just point the camera down and move forward to dive.  I may or may not change this, depending on feedback.

3) Obviously, the camera won't collide with anything so you'll get some graphic issues revolving around this.

4) Multiplayer still a bit buggy from the last version.  I haven't looked at chatting or multiplayer at all yet.

[EDIT]
5) If you hold W AND S at the same time while underwater, your character will slowly float straight up. :p  Thanks, Mumbling, for finding this bug.  :D
[EDIT: FIXED!]

------------

Most of my time in this release was working on the physics for underwater control.  Please let me know how the controls feel.  Any feedback would be awesome! :)

Thanks for your time, everyone!  Enjoy! :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'll try it tomorrow if I remember.  I have to switch hard drives since this one doesn't have windows on it.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
The water works fine, but it can be hard to get on the solid ground after swimming. I think it would be fine to rise the water level a little.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Yahoo!

This isn't my computer, so I can't download and play it now, but I so will once my old one's working again! (Which should be, like, Friday.)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
hmmmm, it seems that the flood in lbt 9 wasn't that big compared to now  :lol

heh heh i found a very interesting glitch where you can swim in the air!

i also found out how to be under the water without have any underwater 'effects'.

It took my a while but i found out how to preform both glitches. I'll post it tomorrow as im gonn be going to bed.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It took my a while but i found out how to preform both glitches. I'll post it tomorrow as im gonn be going to bed.
Thanks for finding this one.  I was hoping I had basically dealt with this problem but I am curious how you managed to do that. :) :bang

[EDIT] Okay I see how it works.  If you half-enter the water, it triggers the 'being underwater' check but then if you leave again, it doesn't always disable the 'being underwater' event, resulting in the situation you encountered, Flathead. :p
I have a couple of ideas on how to fix this, I just hope at least one of them works.  :lol

The water works fine, but it can be hard to get on the solid ground after swimming. I think it would be fine to rise the water level a little.
I agree, the shape of the map will be cleaned up as the game progresses in development. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not sure if it is possible, but there seems to be 2 states, walking on the ground and being underwater.  It may be hard to code, but maybe there can be a third one, where one is in the water but not underwater.  One's speed would be reduced by how much of the body is underwater.  Like walking along the surf at the beach is faster then trying to walk when half of your body is underwater, or most of it, like in lbt 10 when Littlefoot falls in the water and walks  with only his neck and body above the water as he heads to an area to walk out of the water.  

I guess swimmers would have a faster move speed in water, better then those non swimmers who may know how to swim, and be better able to move under water?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It may be hard to code, but maybe there can be a third one, where one is in the water but not underwater.
Right now we have 3 states:

not in water
Swimming on the surface
underwater

Great minds think alike, it seems, Kor! :) I'm currently working on a 'wading' state.  It's pretty tricky to code but I think I have the logic basically figured out.  I just need to get it working.  ;)