The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Particular sequel the series went downhill with?

Guest · 15 · 1973

Bruton the Iguanodon

Just starting a topic (sorry if there's one already) to see what all of you guys think is the point that the franchise started going downhill. For awhile I generally reckoned 2-5 to be the best, and I believe I've seen some people say movie 6 was indeed where things went downhill. Additionally, I recently read a post where someone mentioned the first four sequels, almost refering to them as a certain era, and I couldn't help making this topic.  :idea

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I generally agree that the 2-5 were the best and that things went down hill from there.  However, I thought that 7 was alright.  Most of the stuff after that was not very good though.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
After 5th, then 9th was a pleasant surprise, the sharptooth actually is closest to the original in this one. 13th of course being completely in its own league with it's crappiness.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I guess we won't know after which sequel the series started losing popularity at a faster rate until we have the financial balance sheets for each movie. The 13th movie was just the sea gulls pooing on an already quite submerged ship. From my subjective experience, I'd say that LBT's glory began to fade after the 5th movie, but without data I can't be certain. It's just me thinking that 6 was inferior to 5 and that the general public thought so as well.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The first sequel I had a real problem with was LBT 7. While it included an interesting character (Pterano) and while I enjoyed the dark element of his past a lot there were too many poorly patched plotholes (e.g. the flyers don't have any reason to abduct Ducky, riding a geysir with a conveniently fitting bit of rock to get to the top of the mountain was really jumping the shark, and the time frame too was rather implausible) and I just hated the Star Trek invasion to LBT. Aliens from outer space landing in the Great Valley, really? <_<
LBT 8 could have been good on the basis of the plot, but somehow I felt that a good plot was told without much sensible inspiration or enthusiasm and again with totally unnecessary weaknesses (why the heck do they allow sharpteeth to degenerate into silly toys? And how come that hot water is freezing... the list goes on).
In LBT 9 it was kind of the other way round. The story itself did not contain many great or new ideas, but the story was told with a passion, with some good music, with a sharptooth who had some impressive scenese, with some scenes that were really thoughtful / dramatic. LBT 9 was the last sequel that I was quite happy with.
And then came LBT 10 :bang  :cry  :crazy

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The first sequel I thought was off was as Malte said LBT 7.  See, I got out of LBT by the time I was probably 6 or 7 years old and LBT 6 was the last movie to come out back then.  Then I got back into LBT when I was 14 if memory serves me right and LBT 11 was the latest movie.  I thought my aversion to LBT 7 was just because I had never seen it before and I was looking at it through more "adult" eyes, but soon realized it was more than that.  

LBT 7 almost seemed like a cop-out to me.  It was too out there.  We had never heard of Petrie's uncle before and the whole movie was sort of boring.  It gave me a bad feeling.  The rainbow faces were weird and I didn't much like the alien thing at the end.  And I really didn't like any of the fliers including Pterano.  The animation style was TERRIBLE.  I don't know exactly what happened, but it didn't feel like LBT to me.  LBT 8 and beyond was MUCH better and I actually grew to like the modern style animation better than the older.  But LBT 7 was I think my least favorite sequel (other than LBT 13 of course.  Nothing could be worse than that.).

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
2-5 are the first bunch, 6 is the transition, and 7 beyond is the rest to me
I don't think it's logical or even right to say when LBT started going downhill, as if every movie after that was never the same. But I'd say 8 is when things really changed. Not for the bad though. Believe it or not, number nine felt a little plain to me, BUT I still quite liked it. Also, I think 12 and 13 were the real pointers of LBT leaving, while 11 had some of it.

In the end, I like all of them in their own ways  :lol

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I would say 2-7 were great, and the 8th was where the series let me down. The 8th is not a general fave of mine... I didn't like how spazzy Ducky got, it was so out of ehr character, and then blasting her mom about letting Spike leave :(
I actually like the 6th one^^ the songs are all so catchy, and the character of Doc as a ghost(?) really made it all the more enjoyable.
Granted, I haven't seen 12 or 13 yet (I really want to so I know who the Yellow-Bellies are and can make some charry analysis on them... thought form what i hear, they're... ehm, crappy XDD)
But the 9th and the 10th really brough back my love from LBT^^ I loved Mo, and tall the elements of journey to big Water. I was a fun adventure, and the LIOPLUERODON WAS FRIGGIN SICK! And I pratcically squee'd in joy when I found out Littlefoot had a DAD!! I was so super happy! And Shorty was a nice add-in as well, really helped bring out the story with some sibling rivalry ;) always fun to watch.
So, in my opinion, I'd say 2-7 were awesome, 8 ehh, so-so, 9-10 so far epic! and 12-13... not yet decided, or seen for that matter :p
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: StrutEggStealer,Dec 10 2012 on  04:52 PM
I actually like the 6th one^^ the songs are all so catchy, and the character of Doc as a ghost(?) really made it all the more enjoyable.
eh good old times :) heheh
ba berpa burpa derpa Baaad luck  :DD

Heheh I guess so.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The sequels had different feels to them I'd say.   2-5 had one.  With bits of 7 having the feel, and bits not.  6, and some others had a different feel to it.  With 13 being an attempt, I'd say, at mostly comedic, with some non comedic moments in it.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
2 through 5 were in my opinion the best. I thought 6 was okay although I still don't get how Doc is alive or how Littlefoot deduced that he was The Lone Dinosaur. I also wish the movie would have gone into detail about Dinah and Danah.

7 was pretty good despite the alien twist. My biggest problem with it was that it didn't have the charm the first ones did. 8 felt the blandest to me. It didn't feel like there was really anything going on. There was no villain, the guest characters were irritating, and the songs weren't anything special. Spike finally got his moment and it just felt wasted. 9 was also okay. I liked 10, although I thought they could have done without the Longneck Migration(Couldn't they have just had Bron arrive in the Great Valley and meet Littlefoot instead of coming up with such a half baked plot)? 11 was the most childish addition to the series. 12 wasn't too bad but not great either and 13 I've  tried to watch three times but stop before it even really starts.

For me, I'd say 8 was where the series began to grow stale.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ludichris1,Dec 10 2012 on  10:15 PM
Quote from: StrutEggStealer,Dec 10 2012 on  04:52 PM
eh good old times :) heheh
ba berpa burpa derpa Baaad luck  :DD

Heheh I guess so.
Omg yes! :lol
Spike's pretty good at beat-boxing ;P
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
After 10 in my opinion, as it was the last decent sequel, and it had an amazing action sequence towards the end, though after that, the ship was struck with a torpedo in 11, listed in 12, and sunk in 13.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think it was after 7 that it went downhill. 8 and 9 seemed like they were running out of ideas (Even though I did like Mr. Thicknose).

Though 10 was better then those two, it still seemed overly convoluted (Why'd you bang a longneck, and left her to get killed by a sharptooth and have your son all alone, Bron!?!?)

I think 11 kinda had an interesting thing going with the little tinysauruses, but they didn't flesh it out, and it went nowhere.

12 was just stupid. The day of the flyers made no sense. At least Guido was kinda interesting.

And I'm not even gonna touch 13 with a hundred foot pole. :bolt

EDIT: Is it weird that I liked most of the one-off characters, even though I didn't like most of the sequels they were in? I'm just wondering if anybody else is thinking the same way as me :/
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)