The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I just found another one...

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Rewatched the Nostalgia Critic's video. Again I'm not sure how accurate he is, but he says something along the lines that Uwe Boll exercises german tax loopholes that reward his investments into the films even if they totally bomb. So it doesn't matter how horrible the movie does; he still makes money off of it.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've heard that is what he does, so if a movie does bomb he and his investors still make money.  Not sure if the German government wised up and removed that loophole or put a limit on it.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
That's EXACTLY what he does. I've communicated with several Germans who state he's a known as a con artist in his homeland.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yet I guess the German Government don't care about him.  Or it could be he knows how to pay off, or they benefit from what he does in some way.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Don't you miss the old days when you actually have to succeed to succeed? Between this guy and Christopher Paolini, it seems you can epic fail yourself to stardom.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The real problem is not the fact that Uwe Boll is making many terrible movies, but that he is making a fortune off of failing because the government is paying for his failure.

However, there is rumor that Uwe Boll will no longer be able to use this money making trick, as the German Government is planning to change the law on this terrible con.

Let's hope this is true. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Personally I don't really care if it's true or not. And I don't see a reason to "hope that it's true" either. If you don't like his movies, then just don't watch them. As I said, they aren't hurting anyone. Sure, they're terrible, but it's not like you are being forced to watch them or anything.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Darn,how come James Camaron's Titanic is the only good titanic film and that one was mostly a chick flick crossed with a disaster movie.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
because cameron spent hundreds of millions trying to get a lot of details right
 yes the love story was fictitious but when i saw the film in the movies thee was no a dry eye in the theatre.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not sure how many details in the movie were right. The love story I know was fictious. I think the movie also depicts the iceberg creating a large tear in the ship, and far as I know this is also false. Titanic wasn't brought down by a gash. There is no evidence for a deep gash. I believe the current idea (as well as from the evidence) is that Titanic was downed by weak rivots that gave way when they scraped the side of the iceberg.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Last pbs thing I saw about the titanic it was the iceberg hit and slashed it in the perfect or near perfect place to bring it down.  The gash covered many compartments and it was to much.  They speculated that the reason it sank was the ship started to try to turn to avoid the iceberg and was scraped along one side for that reason.  They speculated that if he had reduced speed and/or hit it straight on some compartments would have filled with water, but it would have made it to their port.

This was a few years or so back so no idea of any newer discoveries.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That was an old theory I believe. According to what I heard in more recent documentaries, divers had tried to look for this gash and found nothing. On top of that, a gash as depicted in Titanic could not have sunk the ship as quickly as it did in real life (2 hours I think it took). So the weak rivots are a more likely culprit. But it's not just the rivots; I believe there were other design mistakes that contributed to the Titanic's downfall.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
yes the compartments were not capped so once one compartment filled with water it simply spilled over into the next. there were 16 compartments, it was surmised that the ship could survive two or 3 compartments filling up, when the iceberg struck water started coming into 5. the rivets were indeed shoddy, 3 million rivets were used and likely half were substandard
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Regarding the divers' finding, or lack thereof, I wonder if the ship's erosion has anything to do with this.  I heard on the news a year or so ago that the ship could be completely deteriorated within ten to fifteen years from then (iron in salt water for many years).  What I mean by what I mentioned is, had the technology of 1985 been around after the wreck, would divers have found a gash before it deteriorated beyond recognition?  I am by all means not trying to argue anybody's posts here.  It's just a thought :idea.  As for the sinking, I learned years back that the ship was designed to take three days to sink if it were to hit an iceberg head-on.  This could be old news by now, but it's what I heard.

As far as the historical accuracy of the film goes, Cameron may have spent a lot to get the details straight, but there are still inaccuries in the film.  These are the ones I've noticed:

*The captain was not a passive guy in real life, and he had instructed Murdoch on what to properly do (hit an iceberg head-on if unavoidable) in the event the ship would approach an iceberg before he went to his quarters to sleep.  The movie portrayed the captain in a rather nonchalant manner.

*The captain never gave the president of the ship-building company permission to increase the ship's speed.  The president went behind his back and made the order; therefore, he was responsible and not the captain :confused.

*Murdoch only shot and killed one passenger before he took his own life, not two passangers.

*The film did not hardly emphasize on issues like thefts and male passengers dressing up as females and boarding the lifeboats.  This made the environment of the Titanic seem a lot safer than it really was.

*Only four passengers survived the icy waters, not six (five if Rose is not counted).

*Many passengers died 'cuz the crew never woke them up.  They were still sleeping in their staterooms when they went under :(.

*This one annoys me.  Molly Brown was a tough as nails, very strong female in real life.  The real Molly Brown never let the male crew member speak to her the way the film character did and let him get away with it.  I understand she even threatened to knock him overboard.  She was the only one who rowed the lifeboat all the way to the Carpathian (none of the other females helped), and her fists were bleeding when they got to the ship.  She was not a big woman either, so I'm not sure if Kathy Bates was the best pick as far as physique is concerned.  The real Molly Brown was petite, and she hardly looked any bigger than me (I'm 5'2", around 140 pounds).  Molly Brown was tough, and I wish the film had made her character more true to the real-life person.  She was the only one in her family who escaped being massacred and fled out of Ireland onto the Titanic.  She survived that, then her and her husband's bankruptcy, and his divorce from her.  She was a tough broad, more of an Annie Oakley than a proper female stereotype.

Now, the following is somethin' interesting that I heard years back, and I feel the inclusion of this would have made the film more interesting:

The Heart of the Ocean, aka the Hope Diamond, really was on the Titanic at the time of the sinking.  The man who possessed it at the time was known as Jack Hope.  It is believed this is where the official name of this gem comes from.  Given the diamond's notoriety of casting curses (painful deaths) upon those who had possessed it, this would have been interesting in the film.  Could the Hope Diamond have been the culprit?  We'll probably never know.

On a final note, although it was sad that it took such a tragedy to give humankind a wake-up call, I don't think our practices on ships would be what they are today if it weren't for this incident.  This called for laws to be established in the following that I can recall:

*Passenger and crew capacity is not to exceed the limit of the lifeboat capacity.

*All ships must have emergency flares on deck.

*The SOS operator may not sleep on duty (McBride and Phillips were doing so on the Titanic).

*The crew cannot board lifeboats until all passengers have been boarded, regardless of gender or class status.

*Crew must ensure all passengers have been recovered from staterooms.  

*All passengers and crew must have lifejackets.

*By law, passengers and crew must undergo a mandatory emergency drill before the ship leaves port.

That's all I can think of for now, and I'm glad these laws and regulations have been established so hopefully history will not repeat itself.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As for erosion making it impossible to recognize a gash, I find it hard to believe erosion could cover the gash up. Erosion couldn't make a gash disappear, far as I know; it'd only make the hole bigger. And even if there were a gash, it's unlikely it would cause the damage the ship suffered or sink it as fast.

Here's a reference I found about this, although it's not the reference I had read when I initially found out that a gash didn't down Titanic.

GASH IN HULL - Myths Legends Truths Facts
For many years the myth has persisted that the iceberg Titanic hit tore a 300 foot 'gash' down the side of the hull. This takes some believing, and indeed has been proved to be totally unfounded. It has been demonstrated that because of the time Titanic actually took to sink, from the moment of impact, right up to the hull's break-up and sinking, that the total size of the damage would only amount to approximately 12 square feet. Divide that figure by the 300 foot length of the breech in the hull, and the 'gash' would have to be a mere 3/4 of an inch wide for its entire length, a virtual impossibility!

A far more plausible theory is that as the iceberg scraped down the side of the hull, it buckled the plates, popping rivets and opening seams as it progressed further down the hull.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Curiosty got the best of me and I watched a bit of it yesterday.  :blink: A stone that can let you talk to animals? *Bangs head against wall multiple times*

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
thats 20 minutes you won't be able to get back lol :)
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Feb 8 2010 on  03:07 PM
Don't you miss the old days when you actually have to succeed to succeed? Between this guy and Christopher Paolini, it seems you can epic fail yourself to stardom.
 :exactly

Let's add Twilight to the Epic fail so much that you can succeed shelf while we're at it too...

:lol I find it weird that these people actually try to attempt to make something like these things. It's all just a cheap way to make a buck and really, how they treat their audience is really an insult to people as a whole. :anger

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I will never see twilight if you want to see a good vampire movie, see " interview with a Vampire" or "Bram Stokers Dracula.."
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Cancerian Tiger, as a Titanic enthusiast, I have numerous books on the issue and I can tell you that the reason some of those things were not included in James Camerons film is because they are just myths.    

Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Feb 9 2010 on  12:31 AM
*Murdoch only shot and killed one passenger before he took his own life, not two passangers.
Actually there is no evidence that anyone was shot, nor is there any evidence that Murdoch committed suicide.  In fact, people who knew Murdoch on the ship said he didn't.  

*The film did not hardly emphasize on issues like thefts and male passengers dressing up as females and boarding the lifeboats. This made the environment of the Titanic seem a lot safer than it really was.

Again, the men disguising themselves as women was a myth.  

The Heart of the Ocean, aka the Hope Diamond, really was on the Titanic at the time of the sinking. The man who possessed it at the time was known as Jack Hope. It is believed this is where the official name of this gem comes from. Given the diamond's notoriety of casting curses (painful deaths) upon those who had possessed it, this would have been interesting in the film. Could the Hope Diamond have been the culprit? We'll probably never know.

The Heart of the Ocean was not a real diamond.  Furthermore, the Hope Diamond was never on the Titanic.