The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Insomnia

arrogantrex

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I've always had a hard time sleeping, and my amount of sleep seems to have dwindled since I left high school. I don't know if its just me, or if its something else, but something about this has to stop...

I've gotten alot of the normal answers for this, and it seems that I grow an immunity to them after a while. Exercise before you sleep, read before sleep, watch TV before sleep, warm milk, count sheep, sleeping pills (the first time I took sleeping meds it was the worst, and most restless night of sleep I ever had).

I wanna know what you guys do when you can't sleep, because what I do doesn't help.
Driving down to Racetrack for coffee or soda...walking around outside...web-surfing...going for late-night drives...

On a side note: 100th post.  :lol  :lol

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I wanna know what you guys do when you can't sleep, because what I do doesn't help.

To be honest, I just keep looking at the clock and swearing cuz I can't get to sleep.  You can imagine how much that helps.

Actually, recently I've discovered how good animal companionship can be in bed.  Sleeping with my dog puts me to sleep pretty fast.  Then my mom found out though and put a stop to that at once. :p I would recommend a large sized dog.

After mom found out about the dog and told me not to sleep with him anymore, I was of course pretty sad and I still couldn't sleep.  One day when I was going through the stuff I used to have as a kid I pulled out this stuffed dog.  I remembered how soft it was!  I was in fact very tired (and I was going through the boxes on my bed BTW) so I laid down and turned on the tv, still holding the stuffed dog.  I fell asleep in about 10 seconds.  After I awoke, I wondered why I fell asleep so fast.  I figured it was the dog, so the next night I intentionally slept with it.  I was asleep in under a minute and I wasn't even tired (it was a school night, go figure).  Well, once I discovered how much better I slept with a stuffed animal I decided that Mr. Fuzzums wasn't going to be my sleeping partner. :p I went online and was looking for a gund brand name stuffed animal because I knew they were quality made and were very soft.  Well, like an answer to my prayers, I found this stuffed Littlefoot plush toy online and it was made by Gund!  I was sold.  I paid the $25 for it (including shipping) and waited patiently for it to arrive.  Once it arrived, I slept with it and I slept much better.  Now, I sleep with it on occations when I can't get to sleep.  He rests on top of my TV stand most of the time, but it sure is nice to sleep with him.  I don't want to make a habit of that though.  What'll I do in college? :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Coffee/sodas are big no-nos if you want to fall asleep quickly.  The caffiene in them will actually make your body race faster, and you're less likely to sleep.  I just daydream (or nightdream as the case may be).  Just make up something in your head and you just kind of forget where you are, and you're asleep before you know it.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I never tried a plushie, I usually listen to music, but that doesn't always work.  Not sure if the music works, or maybe more likely it gives me something to listen to while I try to go to sleep.  I may try listening to podcasts and see if that works any better.    It also be that your body has a weird internal clock like mine does.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I only have insomnia when I lack my music. I have an extremely hard time falling asleep. I would recommend psychoanalysis. The true cause of insomnia might possibly be discovered, which is a lot better than making random guesses.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I doubt most would need that.  Insomnia likely has many causes.  Someone fighting their own natural clock, which could be different then what you want it to be, worry, stuff you eat and drink, ect.  The myth of everyone needing psychoanalysis is likely part of the culture wanting folks to think that, most folks do not need that at all really.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I myself have a difficult time falling asleep most nights.  What I simply do is close my eyes and picture in my mind something I find enjoyable and relaxing.  Next thing I notice, its 6am. :^.^: (Kind of normal for me to wake up at that hour regardless of when I fall asleep. ^^;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess each has to find their own methods that work for them.