The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wireless trouble

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We finally got this wireless/wired router. There's just a small problem, it should all work automatically but it doesn't. We have configured the things we should have and it works for the wired computers. The wireless computers however, can't connect to the network at all or have 'limited usage' of the network... Sometimes though we do have connection and it works without problems, it's at complete random.

What I know though is that the router/modem should have all icons burning blue, but the wireless one doesn't show any sign of life at all.

We got a Belkin n1

Any ideas of how to get stuff working here?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It depends I think, on where your computer is located in the house. Some areas have better wi-fi reception then others.. IN my case, downstairs is better than upstairs for reception..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's not the exact problem

The connection is "very good" or "best"

It's something else. The router doesn't let me connect to internet on my laptop.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
can the computers and the wireless things recognize each other? I hear some computers have problems seeing that.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not sure. If you mean that the computer recognises there is something it can connect to, yes, it sees that. It sees there is Belkin(blahblah) where it can connect to. If we enter the password it is connected, but we get limited usage and because of that we cannot visit any page on the web.

Is it maybe because we protected the network with a password?

Edit: I put a picture in my first post.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Could it be drivers or something that need to be updated? Or if it can detect what it can connect to.  Though I'm likely wrong.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm I'm not sure...

I did get a disc with the router/modem but that was meant for the wired computers, so the instructions say.

And since it has worked earlier, I assume it is that way.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Vista Vista Vista.....Try to repair the connection and let windows "Diagnose" the problem.  Let me know what it says about it.

And don't put a password on your router.  It's just stupid.  Anyone who knows enough to harm your computer through a router can also break the encryption.  It takes 2 minutes to get past WEP.  Besides, it's nice to have wireless hotspots wherever you go.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I dont have WEP, I use WPA2. And my parents really want it so.

Diagnose and stuff gives all kinds of options ive tried. About 5.

Change laptop of place, might be something disturbing in the neighbourhood.

Make your laptop wired

Automatically get new IP-settings for the networkadapter

Choose a different wireless network

A problem with the router or modem stops the internetconnection (turn off the router and back on after a couple of seconds)

That are them I think.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
WPA2 was cracked a long time ago too:

http://harrychanputra.wordpress.com/2007/0...-crack-wpawpa2/

Anyone who can do a quick google search can hack your wireless network. :rolleyes:

As for your problem, I'd check interference.  Do you have a cordless (not cell) phone near it?  How about a microwave?  Any other electronics?  

if you don't have anything like that near it, I'd check the laptop you're trying to connect to, not the router itself.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We do have a cordless phone right next to the router, any more things near it would be a DVD player and a television.

Edit: removing the password made it work

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You'll be fine without a password.  I live in an apartment complex with over 300 people who have access to my 5 unencrypted wireless networks and it's not a problem.  Some people connect, but not as many as I thought would connect.  It's a courtesy to allow bypassers to have free wifi.  The encryption is so ridiculous there's no reason to have it.  If it were better I'd have it, but it's just stupid. :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When putting it on standby and back on again it gave me limited options again... I relaly start to hate this especially since my mom is stressing so much on me

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe best to keep everything that may cause interference as far away as possible.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Remove the items that may be causing interference.  The range should be about 3 feet before they stop noticeably affecting your router.  If you've got a cordless phone on the other side of the room it's not a problem but if it's on the same desk it might be......it depends on how big the desk is. :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'll point out the microwave had effects on wireless signals to one computer in the house.  Got a microwave nearby?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'll point out the microwave had effects on wireless signals to one computer in the house. Got a microwave nearby?

Beat ya to it. :p

As for your problem, I'd check interference. Do you have a cordless (not cell) phone near it? How about a microwave? Any other electronics?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Have one  in kitchen, but that's 10 m away from it.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Move the phone, reset the router, reset the modem, change the cable......that's pretty much all you can do.  It is possible that the antenna just went out.  You said it worked before.....