The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

FairUseTube

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
http://fairusetube.org/index.php

So, your video was removed from YouTube, and you are trying to figure out whether or not your video is Fair Use.

To many Fair Use is something rather difficult and confusing to understand.  However, this site makes it rather simple.  Fair Use is one of the things big name companies don't want you to know about, much less fully understand.  This site has helped me understand it far more than I ever imagined.  It does not over complicate things and makes it very simple to understand it in the end.

I highly recommend it to those who are questioning whether or not something is Fair Use.  It has helped me out greatly and has given me new ideas for things I plan to do in the future.

In fact, to help you all, here's a quick list of things that according to this site fall into fair use, that are often taken down without regard.

Commentaries
Reviews
Mash-ups
Fan Made Music Videos (In fact, in many cases, you don't have to use the "audioswap" feature to keep your video.  However, it is still recommended, so don't delve it out completely.)
Self-singing Favorite Song
Videos with Copyright Content in Background. (Yes, this is Fair Use when you have no control over it. ie Radio Station playing music.)

Hope this site helps you all understand Fair Use, as much as it has helped me.

See ya later! :)

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I won't disagree with anything there since none of those items explicitly show an entire movie and its soundtrack unedited.  That's not the issue.  The issue on youtube becomes when someone uploads entire tv episodes, entire movies, entire songs....with no edits.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ah the good old days of Youtube before those Jack offs of Viacom came and  wined like little babies about what youtube was doing. Witch is fact Viacom was doing the exact same damn thing before you tube come into play. So Viacom where a bunch of hypocrites. And a lot of members there still post those things and manage to get by without being warned and having there stuff removed.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
In other words, YouTube had no business ever kicking the Cinema Snob, Spoony, or the Critic off YouTube.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Tikikata

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.strawberrytiki.net
This is very useful and I thank you for posting this!
A friend of mine on another forum was having issues with Youtube, and I sent her this link and she found it very helpful. It's a shame Youtube's become so strict now.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I watched most of the video, even though I don't' have a youtube account.   I'm sure many will find the video useful.

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
I'm just curious about the reviews though.  There are reviewers who never show their face and use the whole movie as the review.  Is that still considered fair use?

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
^ I don't think it is.  The same people usually keep the movie soundtrack running in the background, so therefore you are essentially showing the entire movie and soundtrack uninterrupted.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Petrie,Jan 4 2012 on  07:41 PM
^ I don't think it is.  The same people usually keep the movie soundtrack running in the background, so therefore you are essentially showing the entire movie and soundtrack uninterrupted.
I don't really agree. If it's just short clips, it's not the full movie. And if it is the full movie, commentary is still considered fair use, at least according to that list Pokeplayer provided. Even if it wasn't, the fact that someone talks during it would mean that at least the audio is interrupted because someone is talking during the entire film.

Watching a movie while someone is talking is not the same thing as watching it truly uninterrupted. You can't fully enjoy the experience when someone is talking.

TJSoundSource

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TJSoundSource
I'm really two-sided on this issue.

On one hand, I agree with Darkhououmon and others in this topic to an extent. The concept of blocking someone's (sometimes hard) work because it contains a section of someone else's work is a slippery slope. Someone did the work to produce something for the public BASED ON an existing work because the existing work is interesting to others and therefore a review/cover/commentary/music video/etc. may be interesting to fans of the original content.

The point where I really struggle with this issue is, what gives me the right to use someone else's hard work to get myself ahead (even if no money is being earned, just reputation, pride, fun, etc.)?

If I produced something on a large scale and sold it, I'm not too sure I'd want 'Average Joe' using part (or the entirety) of my work without my consent nor without any idea of how many people are doing so.

Let's try one scenario:
For example, let's say I make a movie. You own a movie review website. You review my movie. Your advertising/sponsors pay you based on your traffic. You are making money because my movie exists, but you never even have to contact me. This is apparently okay.

Let's try another scenario.
I own Apple and I design and sell the new iPad 3 (sake of example). You see it and decide, hey, you want to make a device that can run iPad apps..but it's not an iPad. You sell your device which runs its own software but is also designed to be compatible with iPad apps, to increase your "traffic" (consumer base). This would be very illegal without my permission.

What exactly is the difference?

If you want to make a successful youtube channel (or other venture), I encourage you to use more original content rather than relying on the success of others.

With that being said, I do understand that people enjoy making fanmade music videos, etc. etc. At which point in history was it ever acceptable to do that though? Movies have had warnings at their beginnings for decades now, explicitly stating that public performance of the 'licensed' (not owned!) video is illegal.

To me, it almost sounds like people are wanting to change the rules, now that they have computers powerful enough and media available enough to play with. It was never okay to publicly perform someone's copyrighted work directly, without consent.

As a final closing comment, what is youtube's name and slogan?
YOUTube: Broadcast Yourself.

Youtube was originally designed for users to create original content and share it with the world, not exploit to step the boundaries of copyright ownership.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTLover1,Jan 3 2012 on  07:34 PM
I'm just curious about the reviews though.  There are reviewers who never show their face and use the whole movie as the review.  Is that still considered fair use?
That's actually kind of a tough call.  Let's go over the 4 rules for Fair Use and see what can be said.

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

2. the nature of the copyrighted work;

3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Factor 1: The simple fact of the matter is that reviews count as education of said medium.  So they are protected under this factor.

Factor 2: Here, it is merely a question of how creative they were with the work.  The more creative they are, the more protected they are.

Factor 3: Here, we have determine how much was used and whether or not the person at hand needed as much to talk about it.  The more they use ineffectively, the less protected it is.  Did you need so much to review it?  If not, it's best to encourage them to make edits where possible.

Factor 4: In the end, reviews get the general public more interested in said medium.  This helps make it more profitable, regardless of whether the review was positive or negative.  So certainly, reviews can only help it out.

Factor 1 and Factor 4 make them automatically protected.  It's 2 and 3 that can be the deciding factor. (3 mostly.) Were they creative with it and how much did they use?

THAT is the big question in the end.

Hope this helps. :)