The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanart Prompt Challenge Discussion

Ducky123 · 455 · 56065

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Oh man that came by pretty quick. Not sure now if I'll have something ready by Valentine's day, but I should have something done for it before the deadline. :p

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh man the time is flying by and the prompt deadline has already passed! I had an idea for the prompt but once again had absolutely zero time to spend on it. Thanks again to SRFG and Jewel for keeping these prompts alive!  :rhett_smile

So that brings us to the next fanart prompt:

Mar/Apr: How it should have happened: Draw a scene from one of the films/TV series that you think should have played out differently.

Marvel is getting away with milking out the MCU with what ifs, so why can't we!? Maybe a scene in which LF's mother survives and Sharptooth dies? Or perhaps Pterano really does gain magic powers from touching the stone of Cold Fire? Even better yet, the brave longneck scheme shows off how brave Rhett really is and he scares Chomper away with his mighty tail, causing the plan to backfire and Ali to appreciate Rhett all the more  :rhett_grin Let's see some really creative ones!

The jewelstone queen

• just call me Jewel ; D
  • Spike
  • I'm just an artist :0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel (I animate stuff, they old)
I was going to do something with Guido but I like that Rhett one a lot more! I'll have to think on it though.

Yeah, it's kinda been me and SRFG doing a couple of these, kinda interested in seeing some entrys from Cyadical, he's got some great art.
I'm currently writing an lbt fanfic about Littlefoot and Ruby, it's a little cringy at first. Go check it out if you're interested! FANFICTION.NET- https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14063661/1/The-Land-Before-time-Unbearable
OR RIGHT HERE ON THE WEBSITE- https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=17556.0

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Fancied doing a comic for this one, but there's no way I'll get that done in time.  :taunttroll Might be able to sketch something this weekend or next for this, but we'll see...

Would love to know what your idea was, Flathead.  :p

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

The jewelstone queen

• just call me Jewel ; D
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Hm... well, I'm going to be honest that I completely forgot about last month's prompt. I had an idea, wasn't too excited aobut it, planned on doing it but I forgot to, hehe.

I can't remeber April's prompt, but I can assure you that I have plans for all of them! I might draw March's prompt on my own time, we'll see.
I'm currently writing an lbt fanfic about Littlefoot and Ruby, it's a little cringy at first. Go check it out if you're interested! FANFICTION.NET- https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14063661/1/The-Land-Before-time-Unbearable
OR RIGHT HERE ON THE WEBSITE- https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=17556.0

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
^It's the same prompt for both March and April, so don't worry, you still have plenty of time.  :bronGoodJob

Honestly, I don't know if I'll have time to do this one. Was too stressed last month and I've got a hell of a lot planned this month. I'll try to get at least a sketch done though.

The jewelstone queen

• just call me Jewel ; D
  • Spike
    • View Profile
^It's the same prompt for both March and April, so don't worry, you still have plenty of time.  :bronGoodJob

Honestly, I don't know if I'll have time to do this one. Was too stressed last month and I've got a hell of a lot planned this month. I'll try to get at least a sketch done though.

Oh woops- forgot the prompts went in two months.

And don't worry SRFG, take care of life first. Hope you're doing ok!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh yeah I forgot to do a half way reminder at the start of April, whoops  :PLoofah

I've been once again way too into the thick of things with school to even consider having free time so probably nothing on my end once again.

Show us how it's done Jewel!  :bestsharptooth

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Well good news, I should be able to put an entry in for this one just before I go on my holiday.  :p I've managed the sketch and the background, just need to paint the actual characters now  :bestsharptooth

The jewelstone queen

• just call me Jewel ; D
  • Spike
    • View Profile
hehe, woops. So I won't be able to have anything for this prompt, too much life stuff going on. I'll be back to drawing for the next one though

But once again, nice work SRFG!

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
No worries Jewelstone, pesky life stuff happens to us all.

I have to say I am so looking forward to the next prompt. Think a little throwback is in order.   :bestsharptooth

The jewelstone queen

• just call me Jewel ; D
  • Spike
    • View Profile
No worries Jewelstone, pesky life stuff happens to us all.

I have to say I am so looking forward to the next prompt. Think a little throwback is in order.   :bestsharptooth

Thanks peep! I'm always eager to see your entries.

And Manofwar, I think it would be awsome if you joined in on this! Though the May and april promt is almost over, you have like... a few days left. But if you don't mind the rush, go ahead, just make sure you notify Flathead so he knows what's going on.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks for the entry SRFG! Also no worries Jewel, it's completely understandable.

@ManOfWar GT
Thanks for showing interest in joining the fanart prompts! We accept all skill levels in the prompts and is more a collaborative showcase over a competition and are meant to help facilitate creativity and productivity of artists through set deadlines and forced topics to narrow ideas down into certain topics. More importantly, it's to help improve and develop your drawing skills while having fun! Each prompt is bi-monthly, with a total of 6 prompts per year. As for official rules, the only real previously established rules for the competition as far as I know are as follows:

1. Artwork has to be submitted in the GoF fanart section (feel free to also post in on DA or other art sites and share it there if you want)
        2. The artwork has to be specifically stated as an entry for the prompt in the post description, so you cannot use old artwork as submission. Previously you needed to send a PM out to the person running the prompts, but I find stating in the post itself works well enough as I'm generally around enough.
        3. Any art medium is accepted. So traditional, digital drawings, paintings, sculpting and whatnot is acceptable.
        4. Not really a rule anymore as voting is not a thing now, but it would be nice if you can mention if you plan on participating on any of the prompts so I know who still is working on their artwork. Not as applicable now as we're trying to be a bit more strict with deadlines due to past issues with that, but a possible 1 week extension could be implemented.

As for new guidelines, I would also personally include:
       5. The fanart has to be completely your work. That means not just copying and pasting backgrounds or characters or anything. All that typical plagarism type stuff. Though using screenshots as references to help with poses and such are fine.
       6. As it is LBT fanart, it generally is within the LBT Universe, though things like OCs are generally permitted. AUs have also been done in the past and are sometimes part of the prompt topics as well. I suppose this is a bit more discretionary and subjective to the artist and is hard to enforce as creativity is the name of the game, but it should at least be recognizably LBT I guess?

Participation in the prompts can earn you a treestar on the annual fanart awards, which can be shown below in my signature. We also pick out some of the fanarts that were submitted that year to use for the banner (if you are against us using your artwork, feel free to let us know). Finally, previous and current fanart prompts can be found here. I will also mention the new fanart prompts in this topic when they start up.

Let me know if you have any questions.

For anyone who's curious about the 2021 fanart banners, yeah that is something that still needs to be done at some point. PM's will be sent out at some point regarding them. Sorry for the wait.  :PLoofah

The jewelstone queen

• just call me Jewel ; D
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Ok, deffinetly gonna do this one. "Age up/age down"

Nothing too chaotic, just a group pic of the gang in their teen years. But for this I'm goning to design them in the way my current fanfic described them. Like how Littlefoot will have a scar over his back and Cera growing her two other horns. ^w^

Always love drawing characters in a different age. This one is proably most enjoyable since during the whole franchise the gang never grows up (which I hate.) Alright enough from me!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sounds good Jewel! Also thanks for the reminder. I've been busy these last few days with late nights dealing with school club activities.  :PLoofah

As Jewel has mentioned, the next prompt is upon us for May and June: Age up/age down: Draw any character as a different age to how they appear in the series. Will the gang be all grown up? Or will their folks be younger (or even older :lol )?

How old can the Old One get? Maybe we'll find out in two months  :bestsharptooth

Hopefully I'll be able to join in on this one now that school is done and my summer break/work has (almost) arrived.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Where has the time gone? A month has already passed which means the prompt is now half over! Any updates on who might participate in this one? I'm hoping to join in on this one and have already gotten a bit of a sketch done so far.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
My head hasn't really been in the game the past few weeks, but I am still planning to participate. With any luck I'll be able to get started on it this weekend.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hello everyone! As the year passes the halfway mark, a new prompt arrives. This one is for July/August and the topic is: Fight scene: Draw a scene of two (or more) characters getting into a scuffle. Was it an argument that got physical, is it defence from an enemy, or is someone being a bully?

What sort of fight will we end up seeing? Cera and Littlefoot? Cera and Shorty? Cera and Rhett? Actually...I don't think Rhett could ever be in a fight as it wouldn't end up being much of a fight  :rhett_grin :rhett_brag :rhett_smile

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Right, I'm not going to leave this one to the last minute. Actually, I'll see if I can get started on something sometime this week.