The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Racing the Storm

Pterano · 1020 · 83465

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'll get working on  it ' Marita said crackling her fingers and headed up to the console. ' 'shouldn't take me more than a couple minutes to  get a rough translation' she said and began typing away at the console, her claws flying over the keys. Gradually the console and voice changed to English ' those who would enter , speak the code' said the voice in a soft, garbled and distant voice ' speak the code? great, Vergil do you remember any sort of password that was used to get past those doors?' Marita said motioning to those doors 'think, Vergil, we need to move quickly and locate the other waypoints..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Rio frowned. "Hey, I've got a name, you know!" he protested, feeling a little more confident now that he could see Emilena really was going to help Lily. "It's Rio, not tyke. Tyke, tyke, tyke!" Spying an open crate at the top of a large stack, he wandered over and scuttled up, spider-like, to the top, perching on the edge and sifting through its exposed contents.

"I think there's some kind of army recruiting place about fifteen minutes from here," Rio called down to the rest of them over his shoulder, as he dragged out a handgun that seemed practically as big as he was. "I'd be awesome in the army," he muttered to himself as he hooked the trigger around his finger and started spinning the gun, just like the actors in the old westerns he'd seen. As the barrel rotated towards the people stood in the room, the gun clicked several times - luckily, it wasn't loaded.

---------------------------------------------------

As Marita worked on the translation, Axel walked around the console to the large set of double doors. He blinked and his eyes clicked, swapping to red. He didn't see anything - no pulse, no signs of anything beyond. "Hmn... I'm not picking anything up..."

Standing beside Vergil, Triste crossed her arms. "So there's nothing waiting for us on the other side? No traps?"

Still looking the large, steel doors up and down, Axel eventually shook his head. "Not that I can tell, but..." He reached out a hand and gingerly knocked on the door's surface. There was a heavy, dull clunk. "Yeah, these doors are, ah, pretty thick. Could be blocking out any signal behind them. We should probably be careful, just in case." He shrugged, starting to turn. "Whoa!"

"What?" Triste demanded, her hand edging cautiously towards her knife.

Axel was looking at the smaller set of doors to the right. "There's definitely something behind here though..." Something on the other side of the door was emitting a bright orange glow, almost taking up the whole doorway. "Whatever it is, it's got a lot of energy." He turned to look at the doors to the left. "Crap... same here, too." The rat looked at the rest of the group. "Should we, ah... open them?"

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Soren looked around the elevator for any traces of bugs or other potential . Ever since the incident in Lanthae, he had become much more paranoid. While the augment worker's gear he wore underneath his loaned business suit wasn't bulletproof, it was capable of dispersing any impact short of getting hit by a car.

The elevator emitted a gentle ding as it reached the 200th floor.

He stood back as Tony introduced himself to Mace. This was for two reasons: 1.) to further reinforce his role as Tony's subordinate; 2.) to react if something wrong.

When the Human was introduced to Mace, Soren took the Gecko's hand in his own and offered a firm shake. "James Miardan."

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The gecko shook his head at this. "No... I don't remember anything like that!" he insisted. "There was no code last time! It was... it was something else... more like a trial or test..." he murmured, trying to remember.

He looked over as Axel reported high energy readings on both side doors. "Mmm... I don't see how they can be opened without interfacing with the computer." he responded. He nodded for Marita to stand aside, and he looked down at the screen. "Hell if I know about any code... nothing like that sounds familiar to me at all." He noticed now that one of the command prompts was a bypass, and he reached out and selected that option. "Screw it... just bypass the code."

"Only the worthy may proceed." the computer stated, this time in a stronger, more resonant voice that echoed throughout the room. A light blue beam shot out from the terminal and danced over Vergil's white form, lines playing about him as it was no doubt scanning him. "Welcome, traveler. Those who seek the awesome power of the Retarans must prove themselves worthy. Three challenges await for those wishing to prove their worth. The worthy shall proceed... the unworthy... shall die." the machine stated coldly, and the doors on the left and right began to slide up and into the wall now with a hiss.

Vergil turned to glance inside the right-hand door, and could see another computer console within, but also something else... something moving within the darker room. Spindly legs unwound from a circular body as the sickly pale blue light of the console revealed a multitude of robots. They each sported a single red eye that glowed like a burning fire as their heads rotated to fix the party with deadly glares. Deadly indeed, for a red beam shot out right for Vergil's head, and the gecko just barely managed to flip backwards and upwards over the beam before it caused a small explosion in the floor behind him.

Landing with a pant, Vergil could see the machines advancing on them from either side of the room from the two doors, marching out in formation and into the light, fully revealing their bodies to the party. They stood on six legs, and had a circular body of some material that looked like polished chrome. A long, serpent-like neck extended from the top of the body atop of which rested the head, which was flat and resembled an arrow-head and was a duller tan in color. The tip of the arrow-head contained the eye, which whirred as it moved.

It was like a grotesque combination of an insect and snake and like nothing found in nature. At the "knees" of each leg rested what looked like a laser cannon of some sort, and they began leveling themselves at the party.

There were three on each side, for a total of six surrounding the group. Pulling out his energy blade and igniting it, Vergil adopted a combat stance. "Whatever it is they're selling, I don't want!" he exclaimed. "Let's take these things out!" he shouted, and leaped towards the nearest one as the machines began to open fire...

Tony commenced the proceedings with Mace as Mace had his guests sit across from him around a coffee table in his suite. It was in stark contrast to what was going on thousands of feet below the ferret, human, and gecko as they talked. It was the absolute lap of luxury up here, and Mace was negotiating with Tony for his company's shipping rights whilst offering them tea and select finger foods.

Tony was attempting to negotiate a reasonable rate for his services, and for the most part, Mace seemed interested. During a lull in the conversation, Tony asked if he and his "aide" could take a restroom break, and the request was granted. Tony was shown towards the bathrooms for visitors, but before they entered, he motioned for Soren to stop. "So I'm not sure if he bugs his own suite, and while I doubt it, I don't want to take any chances. I want to know how things are going below us, so maybe once we return, you could pretend to get a call and excuse yourself, then see if you can reach the others just to check in. Text me what you've found out before returning back, OK?" the ferret asked.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
So i;m guesing these.. things' are the test" marita said as the robots entered the roof. after one of them fired at tony, marita pulled out her gun. Rose and Marie drew their weapons as well, and began opening fire on the Machines bullets impacted against the chrome covering the central parts of the bodies, and  casings began falling to the ground. the girls were forced to shoot on the run as they dodged the machines return fire. with 36 cannons and all, they were being forced to constantly move..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren took notes throughout the meeting. He maintained a detached but yet confident expression as he watched Tony and Mace. Most of the conversation, he barely understood but all he needed to do was record and "consult" with Tony.

Of note was that he politely nibbled the finger foods and drank the tea. But fearing it might have been laced with drugs, he took very small bites and sips, taking care not to swallow but to keep the food under his tongue.

When the request for the bathroom break was granted, the Human went inside to relieve himself รณ and spit out the food and drink he had secreted under his tongue. After washing his mouth out, he exited and listened to Tony's command.

"Gotcha," he said to Tony, programming his smartphone's alarm to go off, hoping everyone would assume it was a call. He then looked around the opulent hallway to make sure no one was coming. "You didn't touch any of the food or drink, right?"

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
While waiting for Emilena to come back, Lily became aware that the fuchsia canid, whom Emilena had called Flora, was sneaking up behind her smiling.

"Er, hello...." smiled Lily weakly.

"So you and Emi promised not to see each other again..." murmured Flora, winking coyly. "Were you two...an item?"

"No, no we weren't," Lily clarified hastily. "That is not what we were. Also, I'm happily married.

"I figured," Flora giggled softly. "You're not really her type, no offense."

"None taken." Lily took a few steps back; Flora had rather obliquely invaded her comfort zone. "So, uh, what do you do around here? For the gang? If you don't mind me asking?"

Flora blushed shyly and covered her mouth. "I'm the team driver. I'm certified to drive over fifty different types of vehicles, including most construction equipment, trains, and school buses."

"Are you? Where exactly did you get certifications for all of those?"

Flora only giggled. Lily didn't quite like the looks she was getting.

"Um, nice talking to you Flora, but I'm...gonna go say hi to Nairda. It's been a while."

Flora sidled off acquiescently, leaving Lily to gratefully go greet the light-furred fox resetting the microphone back up. "Hey Nairda!" she smiled.

Nairda's eyes lit up. "I am blessed to have your beauty grace my sight again!" he bowed and chivalrously kissed her hand.  "I wish only that our meeting could come under less strenuous times."

"Maybe after this Emilena will be more interested in keeping in touch." Lily glanced at the other gang members. "Quite a crowd you two have wound up with."

"Too true..." chuckled Nairda. "They're all supportive friends. How did you like my power ballad?"

"It was very...powerful."

"My goal in life is to be a rapper. I've been performing on the streets, waiting for the day a record label exec hears me and gives me the venue to show the world my passion!" A single tear trickled down Nairda's cheek at the thought.

"That's the spirit!" Lily patted him on the back. "You put your mind to it, there's nothing you can't accomplish!"

Nairda beamed appreciatively, but just then Emilena returned. Gone was her baggy sweatpants and tank top, now she was dressed in crisp officer's fatigues, smartly pressed with gleaming buttons and golden epaulettes. Even Lily had to admit she'd cleaned up quite nicely.

Nairda beamed appreciatively, but just then Emilena returned. Gone was her baggy sweatpants and tank top, now she was dressed in rugged black jeans and a crisp dark jacket over a white button-down shirt. Even Lily had to admit she'd cleaned up quite nicely.

"At attention!" barked Emilena, drawing a riding crop and smacking Nairda across the face to encourage everyone to actually follow her order. Even Lily jumped in line and straightened her back. "Now, the story is that we're from the Rockwell Community College, hoping to get community service hours at the dig site. Young Rio Grande is our trump card; to get another sap into the ranks they'll ignore everything to let us through the front door. Once we're in, Nairda and Flora, you are in charge of doing something stupid to give Foley a chance to get his hands on some tech. Lily, your job is to get Rio back when we leave, before he signs something and writes off the rest of his life. Ideally we do this clean, keep it simple, and get out with what we need to know. Now move!"

"Is she always like this?" Lily whispered to Nairda, as the gang members marched out the warehouse door.

"Only when there's money or an orgasm involved," Nairda muttered back, smirking, then got hit with the riding crop again.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As the doors slid up and the machines revealed themselves, Axel stared up at them blankly. Standing between the two groups, he was quickly surrounded, standing amongst their spindly legs. He blinked at the warning given by the console. "Ah, Vergil... I think you pressed the wrong button..." The cannons mounted on the legs started to swivel towards the group, and Axel's ears flattened. "Aw, fuck!" They opened fire and Axel, having nowhere else to go, jumped up and wrapped his arms and legs around the underside of the machine's body, hanging on for dear life as the cannon fire exploded beneath him.

Triste dived to the right as one of the beams flew towards her. Rolling on her landing, she started running around the perimeter of the room, keeping her eyes on both the machines and Vergil. "I feel like this is probably something you should've remembered!" she shouted across, keeping her speed up so she wouldn't be an easy target. One of the beams came too close for comfort, tearing a chunk out of the wall next to her. Triste leaped through the dust and stone chips. "How the hell do we kill these things?!"

Hearing her shout, Axel forced his eyes open. His back felt red hot from the cannon fire exploding just beneath him. He flipped his vision and looked up at the robot, searching its body. There! He could see what appeared to be a denser area of pulsating energy, on the top. Panting with exertion, Axel struggled to pull himself up along the side, and up onto the top of the machine's body. Seeming to sense that something was on top of it, the machine started to buck, trying to throw him off. Now a more exposed target, the others had started firing shots at him too but thanks to the machine's thrashing, none of them found their mark. Swearing under his breath, the rat wrapped an arm around the robot's neck and looked down for the source of energy. Protruding slightly from the smooth surface was a darker coloured compartment, what appeared to be a power source for the machine. Yanking his handgun from beneath his shirt, Axel pressed the barrel against the compartment and pulled the trigger, again and again, the impacts jolting his arm until the gun clicked. The machine he was riding on jerked then suddenly stopped moving. After a second, the legs collapsed beneath it and the main body dropped heavily to the floor, causing Axel to bite his tongue as he landed with it.

"Yougottashootthethingontheirback!" he cried as he rolled off it and scrambled under for cover.

"What?!" Triste yelled back over the explosions reverberating around the room.

"You have to break the things on their backs!" came Axel's panicked reply, slightly tinny beneath the metal he was hiding under.

Gritting her teeth, Triste dodged another round of fire then jumped onto the nearest machine, using her hooked knife to swing herself up on it. Catching sight of the compartment, she raised the knife and plunged it back down as hard as she could.

--------------------------------------------

Rio watched from above as Emilena rounded everyone up and went through the plan. When she ordered them to move out, he dropped the gun back into the crate and jumped down, landing nimbly beside Lily and Nairda. He grinned up at the two adults. " This is fucking awesome, I've never been a trump card before."

Glancing at Lily's pocket where she'd stored the rest of the credits, he turned hopeful doe-eyes towards her. "So... am I gonna get paid? I am helping..."

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Vergil's blade sliced through one of the legs of his opponent, but much to the gecko's chagrin, he found the other five were more than sufficient to hold the mechanical creature upright. The sharp points at the ends of the legs were potent weapons, as Vergil soon found out. He shortly found himself on the business end of one of the sharp points, and ducked to avoid getting slashed or impaled.

He shot his blade upward, burying it into the underbelly of the drone, but found he couldn't maintain this position long as he was soon forced out from underneath the robot by its legs. Skidding to the side, he wondered about weak points. The carapaces seemed to be bulletproof, as evidenced by the sounds of ricocheting shots he could hear from around the room.

Damn! They must have a weak point somewhere! Their underbelly didn't seem to be as vulnerable as he thought, unlike most creatures who struggled to constantly protect their underbellies in a fight. Leaping up onto the backside of his opponent, he swung his sword violently and sliced off the head from the neck, the neck flailing like a loose garden hose as its head clattered to the floor. But apparently it didn't need its head to see, as the laser cannons swiveled over to him. Damn thing must have cameras or sensors all over its body.

But then the sound came of a machine thudding onto the floor, lifeless. Snapping his head in the direction of Axel, Vergil was surprised to see the rat had triumphed. He yelled something incoherent at first, and Vergil strained to hear. It sounded like something on the backside. Fortunately, Triste asked again what the rodent had said, and it was repeated. The things on their backs?

Tearing his gaze downward, the gecko could indeed see the small hump on the back. There! Crying out, he jammed his sword downward, and shoved it deep into the back of the mechanical death machine. Watching as sparks flied out like a torch to steel, the creature began twitching violently, and finally had its legs give out from under it as it collapsed. "That's it!" Vergil shouted. "Great find, Axel!" he called over.

Triste's opponent began seizing violently as well, and it too fell to the ground. "It's the weak spot on the back!" Vergil yelled, sliding down off the circular body before running towards the other three that were still up and standing, and still very much a threat.

Tony tensed up as Soren mentioned the food. "Well... Mace was eating and drinking too... I didn't see the harm. Why?" the ferret asked now, looking down the hallway to make sure they were still alone. "I mean... Mace Sardolemuel is I'd say one of the more honorable CEOs of the Big Four, or at least, that's the impression I got. You don't think..." Tony trailed off here, hoping their suspicions weren't true. He felt fine so far...

(runner up)
(runner up)

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren narrowed his eyes. "I dunno. Anything's possible here. But either way, something just feels 'off' to me." He pulled out his smartphone and checked the time.

"Speaking of which, we should return before Mace gets suspicious."

The duo made their way back to the boardroom. "After you," the Human said, stepping aside to let his "superior" through first.

----------------

Marion was positioned inside one of the watchtowers that ringed one of many manufacturing plants owned by Zaloga Cybernetics. Next to her was Morris Ailee, a Baseline Shorthair Feline. Like her, he was clad in a helmet, ballistic vest and carried LR-24 magnetic accelerator rifle. Topping the gate and high, electrified walls were coils of electrified concertina wire.

"Slow day, today," Morris said, peering through his comp-noculars. For fun, he locked onto a hoverbike that screamed through the airways with a frameflyer in pursuit.

"Don't tempt fate," Marion replied. She kept her steely gaze on the road to the factory. The Human was sitting at a desk that allowed her to remotely control the .30 caliber machine gun turrets that flanked the gate.

"Oh come on, the last time we had a major issue was three days ago when we caught those Derami Enterprises saboteurs at one of railyards."

"Don't. Remind. Me." The words were spoken between gritted teeth. That particular incident earned her a commendation and a 35,000 credit bonus...and a busted right arm that had been locked in the "open" configuration, exposing the deadly blade.

(OOC - comp-noculars are binoculars that combine a rangefinder and zoom functions as well as video recording and still picture recording function. Expensive models have night vision, infrared, UV, HUD displays and even echolocation/sonar capabilities.)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Triste grunted as she yanked the knife from the back of the machine, sparks flying upwards towards her face. Looking across the room, she could see there were still three more up and about. Leaping off, she sprinted behind Vergil towards them.

From under the body of the machine he'd 'killed', Axel could feel the ground vibrating slightly as one of the others approached. If he was spotted, he'd be as good as dead. Swearing, Axel started to crawl out from beneath his cover, and he was almost free... when an explosion from nearby rocked the circular body of the machine, rolling it over and down onto his leg, pinning him down. Axel yelled, leaning back to try and push it off but it was much too heavy. Around him, canon fire continued to explode as the others battled the machines. He struggled to pull himself free, his fingers scratching against the floor's smooth surface as they tried to find purchase. Suddenly, there was a mechanical whirring behind him. The rat turned over apprehensively. Standing over him, another machine stared down at him. The eye focused on Axel, and it raised one of its legs with the point angled downwards.

Axel gasped and pulled out his gun, aiming it up at the robot and desperately pulling the trigger repeatedly. The gun just clicked uselessly - he'd already spent all the bullets on the last one. "Oh, son of a bitch..." The machine darted the razor edge of the spike down at him and Axel cried out, throwing up his arms pointlessly.

Triste rocketed out of nowhere, slamming into the side of the machine's leg and throwing off its aim. The spike crashed into the ground next to Axel's head. Holding onto the leg, Triste wrapped her limbs around and shimmied up to the top of the body. Yelling, she sliced through the robot's neck-like structure, then stabbed the power source on its back repeatedly. It jerked, then started to fall too. She jumped off and landed next to Axel as the machine hit the floor with a crash.

Axel blinked up at her, his ears splayed. "Holy shit... thanks..." Triste rolled her eyes at him and darted off. The rat struggled around. "Hey, wait! I'm still stuck here!" he cried.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Marita had found the weak point on the  machines and had felled one with a volley of well-placed shots.  she was headed towards the other pair which were still standing.Rose heard Axel's cries and had cut back towards him,  reaching him in about a minute. ' these things mean business dont they ?' she said, reaching under the machine and began straining to lift it off Axel enough so he could  get out from under it. Marie was climbing up one of the two surviving machines. she had snuck up behind it and jumped onto it while it was distracted by the others. once she reached the weak point in its back, she opened fire, sending 4 bullets into the machine and causing it to stop with a shudder, wobble then fall  forward with a loud crash and kick up a row of sparks as pieces of the machine snapped off on impact and rolled away ' just one left' she called out to the others as she landed  safely in front of the defeated creature.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Vergil could see Rose struggling to lift the machine off of Axel (and good luck with the weight these things must be), so he helped her out by throwing out his hand and lifting the dead weight up slightly telekinetically as he ran, and then shoving it backwards a bit, giving Axel hopefully enough time to scramble out from underneath.

OK... just the one left... but Marie handled it, though in the chaos of the moment, she accidentally announced there was one left, but there wasn't. All six had gone down at this point. Panting, Vergil was finally able to skid to a halt, and refocused on moving the rest of the machine off Axel, picking it up again with his mind and moving it further off the rat. "Whew! Well... that's one challenge down! Two to go!" he announced. "You all right, Axel? Anything broken?" the gecko asked as he began walking over and extinguished his blade.

He noted now that the two side doors were open and available for inspection, and could also see another computer console apiece in each room. "Hmmm... wonder if these are the two remaining challenges." he stated thoughtfully aloud. "Maybe we should divide up and take 'em both at once." he suggested, glancing down at Axel now.

Up above, Tony nodded, and pulled out his phone as he thought of something last minute. He didn't know if Zaloga had cameras monitoring their parking lots, but he wasn't going to take any chances. He couldn't leave the Daimler loaded with weapons sitting outside for long, so it was time to change cars. Fortunately, he had a service back home for this, and promptly dialed it.

Upon getting an answer on the other end, Tony spoke quickly as they walked. "Hi. I'm gonna need the Daimler to be picked up and brought back to the garage. I'll need a replacement car ready for me at Zaloga though. Let's make it the... Delage." Tony settled on, going with one of his father's luxury French brands. "As soon as you can, OK? Thanks." Hanging up, Tony knew they'd drive the Delage out for him, leave it at Zaloga, and take the Daimler back with one of the spare sets of keys. Of course, Tony could unlock any of his cars by inputting a code on his phone, so he didn't have to worry about them locking the keys in the Delage when they dropped it off.

Reentering Mace's meeting area, Tony wrapped a smile back on his face and sat down. "All right... now that that's out of the way... let's get back to business." Tony recommenced the conversation with Mace, being a tad more aggressive here now that they were down to the nitty-gritty details, and waiting for Soren's phone to "ring."

(runner up)
(runner up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Just give us a couple minutes to recuperate' rose said beathing heavily as she took a seat on the ground. Marita and  Marie came up to them ' nice work guys' Marita said. vergil i'm going to need you to have me trabslate the two challenges into English and give us an idea of what we will be facing. I'll translate the one to the left first-v we can have a few folks tackle that- then i'll translate the right.' She Said.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Triste moved up to stand with the group as Axel pulled himself upright and put weight on his leg gingerly. "No, I think everything's alright... Ah crap!" He bent down for a closer inspection.

"Are you hurt?" Triste demanded. If he was, it could be a serious liability to the group.

Axel straightened. "I broke a shoelace." Kicking the shell of one of the machines, he made his way across and peered into one of the side rooms cautiously. Given what the previous one had summoned, the consoles in these rooms now seemed positively ominous. "Call me crazy, but if that was the first challenge, I've got a bad feeling about the rest of them..." He swallowed. "But hey, what's a Monday if there aren't giant killer robots trying to murder you?" Axel turned. "Splitting up would save us time, I guess."

Sheathing her knife, Triste nodded. "Agreed. Seems like three for each room would be fair." She glanced at the three women. "I take it you don't want to split up? If that's the case, that makes the second team Vergil, Whent and me." Triste looked at the gecko. "Unless you had other ideas?"

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren took notes and listened as Mace and Tony negotiated the finer points of their potential business deal.

It was then his phone went off. "Excuse me," he said, rising from his seat and exiting the meeting room.

He entered the bathroom and looked around to ensure that no one was coming. Satisified that all was clear, he took out the phone and texted Axel and the others: "Tony's in meeting with Mace. Status down there?.

He then switched over to the Internet browser, checking the local news.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Vergil was only breathing slightly heavier than normal, his body still in good shape despite having been in that tank for who knows how long. He regarded Marita in profile as she suggested she translate the other two consoles. "You translated the master console, so I don't think any further translation is necessary. But I'll let you know if it is or not." he informed her.

Vergil chuckled at the joke Axel made after initially letting concern wash over him at the prospect of the rat being injured. "Heheh... oh no! Not the shoelaces!" he exclaimed, smiling here. "How are your shoes gonna stay on now?"

Triste interrupted him with a question about who should go where. "Uh... nope! That sounds good to me!" Vergil responded, nodding. "We'll take the one on the right, and you girls can take the left-hand one." the gecko suggested.

Leading the way, he stepped into the door on the right hand side. He was acutely aware of something above him, and shifted his gaze upward, noticing hundreds of gleaming bodies above him. Even in the dim light, they were unmistakable. He froze in his tracks, his eyes wide as he gazed up at the shiny ceiling. Hundreds of those robots they'd just fought were above them, but not moving... they almost appeared like they were sleeping. They didn't seem to react to his presence either, and Vergil immediately surmised that they only activated as part of the first challenge, and it certainly explained how this place had plenty to challenge potential seekers of the warship. Gulping, Vergil inched forward, but still got no reaction. "I guess... they only wake up on certain triggers." the gecko stated nervously. "Still... let's not make any sudden moves." he suggested.

He closed his eyes, trying to remember this and yes... it did ring very familiar with him. He felt certain he was right about this. He wasn't sure how...  he just knew. Approaching the console cautiously, he touched it, and it sprang to life. A foreign language quickly dissolved into English as Vergil read the screen.

Greetings, traveler. Only the worthy my proceed. Answer the question and proceed on your quest: What three biomes most support life?

Oceanic
Desert
Volcanic
Arboreal
Grassland
Tundra

Vergil smiled here. "Heheh, a biology lesson it seems. I guess the Retarans valued uh... biomes?" he asked here. "Anyway, I'm guessing oceanic, arboreal, and grassland. What do you guys think?" he asked, looking behind him now, and then glancing warily upwards.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
marita followed trieste suggestion and turned her attention to the left console  and headed over there ' the question it asked was similar to the question asked on the right, but with one big difference... "which three biomes support death?" Marita said staring at Rose and Marie as they crowded around to look at the possible answers ' volcano' marie said holding up a finger ' because when one erupts it destroys anything in its path' ok that makes sense marita said punching it in. desert' Rose said ' especially if you get lost iin it. ' there are hot and cold deserts, but yeah thats another' marita saisd selecting it, and for her last selectuion she picked tundra ' it gets to 100 below in parts od the arctic. you get caught out there without protection you're dead within a few minutes.' marita said and presed the button for that, and waited for the console to reply. the three girls looked up at the hordes of quiet machines above them.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Axel followed Vergil and Triste into the room, grimacing as he followed Vergil's gaze and took in the mass of robotic bodies above them. "Holy crap..."

Triste folded her arms as she thought over the question posed by the console. "Sounds about right," she nodded at Vergil's answer, keeping her voice low. "Tundra, volcanic and desert biomes would offer more extreme conditions, so..." She looked over at Axel. "What do you think?"

The rat tore his eyes from above and blinked at her. "Erm."

After a pause, she muttered, "You don't know what any of it means, do you?"

"Not enough to risk, like, a million machines dropping on us."

Triste sighed. "Would it kill you to open a textbook every now and then?"

"Hey! Biology was never my... you know, thing," Axel hissed. "You two sound like you know what you're talking about. Go for it." At that moment, Axel's phone chirped happily as a text message came through. The beep echoed around at the room, and Axel felt his fur stand on end as he snapped his neck upwards, expecting to be met with a deathly hail of cannon fire. But it seemed like the machines were still inactive. Letting his breath out slowly, he looked down at the two geckos and grinned sheepishly. "Guess I should put this thing on silent..."

Triste gritted her teeth and resisted the urge to slice his head off.

Pulling his phone out, Axel read the text from Soren and quickly tapped out a reply. Big killer death machines down here, but we're all okay. Looks like we're getting close. Place is weird as hell. Keep safe, should be done soon.

"Oceanic, arboreal, and grassland," Triste said, turning back to Vergil and shaking her head. "It has to be those." Even so, she kept a claw on the hilt of her knife, cautious of a trick to the question.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The phone buzzed as Soren recieved the text. He exited the web browser and read the text.

He then texted Tony. "Others okay. Fought machines. Think they're getting close."

Flushing the toilet to divert suspicion, he pocketed the phone and washed his hands. A Fruit Bat businessman exited the other stall and washed his hands as well. Soren avoided eye contact as he deliberately took his time in washing his hands. It worked; the man left.

That finished, Soren exited the bathroom and returned to the meeting room.