The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Racing the Storm

Pterano · 1020 · 77297

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Marita looked at Soren."its quite possible it  was in fact stolen. laundering augments is big business. better to let then think you didnt know it was hot, and it got to you by mistake.. as for Mace, well i dont think it would be wise for any of us to go back there, any time soon. they have cameras all over the place, so its likely they have images of us now. this is why i prefer to do business - electronically, shall we say.. nothing to put a face to. if i were you Soren, we're going to need to bring your stuff with us . we had to fight 6 murderous machines, that was a small taste of whats to come..i have no idea what the next waypoint has in store, but i'd guess things are only going to get harder going fiorward.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Mace swirled a drink around in his hand, and studied it, as if it fascinated him. "I'm downloading profiles to your phone, but the one you need to focus on is the lead infiltrator: the white gecko with the feathers. I suspect he's a government agent so... no messy interrogations... or any interrogation really until you can ascertain who he is. You are to follow him, and try and learn as much as you can. If he's not government... bring him in... if he is... await further orders." Mace instructed her.

"I have personal reasons as well for not wanting him harmed... I'm sure I've seen him somewhere before... I just can't place him. Until I remember or you find out for me... just make sure no harm comes to him, understood? And DON'T make it obvious that you're with Zaloga, got it? Do you think you can handle this?" Mace asked her now, looking over at her as he took a sip. "This assignment requires a certain degree of... discretion after all. I'm not out to antagonize the Federation after all, but I need to know why they're suddenly interested in me... or if it was just to find..." he hesitated here, not finishing that sentence. "Anyway, are you up for this?"

Tony got off the phone with Vergil, an ashen look on his face. "Shit...!" he exclaimed slowly, now knowing where they were heading. Looking down at his phone for a moment, the ferret dialed Axel, who he'd gotten a message from a few minutes ago. As soon as the rat picked up, Tony began speaking. "Axel, it's Tony. I know where we're heading... but you're not gonna like it. The second waypoint is uh... in a really remote region that you can really only reach down the Camino de la Muerte or... the Death Road. The North Yungas Road in Bolivia. There's really no other way to get to it. And it's OFF the damn road, so we're gonna have to do some jungle trekking it seems." Tony explained, letting that sink in for Axel.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
"The North Yungas Road?" Axel wrinkled his face. "Sounds familiar... hang on." He put the call on hold for a second and flicked onto his phone's internet. "He says we have to get to it through Death Road," he reported to Lily across the table as he searched for it. Axel snorted. "What's so deadly about a road?" Then he found pictures, and his face dropped like a bag of rocks - or, potentially, like him over the edge of the road. "Well... that's actually pretty deadly..." he croaked after a pause.

He re-connected with Tony. "Oh no. This might not be the thing you want to hear but, ah... well, I'm not exactly the best with heights. Actually, that's being generous. I'm really, really bad with heights," Axel groaned, turning a sickly expression to Lily. "But hey, maybe this could help me overcome it. Maybe. And I'm sure the jungle trek's going to be awesome too. Ah, thanks for letting us know anyway, Tony. Any ideas when we'd be leaving?"

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Lily silently waited patiently for Axel to finish his phone call. In her mind she was trying to picture what could possibly be so scary about Death Road, and her imagination proved more than up to the task of filling in all sorts of terrors. "Ejlert, I hope you're okay..." she murmured.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'd give it two days. I'll try and secure us flights to La Paz... unless of course the Federation's paying for it, which very well may be true." he chuckled here, trying to lighten the mood. "Uh... about the fear of heights... let's not worry too much about that. I'll be driving... and you know I'm a good driver. We'll try and keep you on the side away from the cliff. And Lily's coming? Really? Well... great!" Tony was happy for the morale boost this would be for Axel, and would help to keep both of them going in fact.

"Her son... is with Kalis? Really?" the ferret was stunned by this news. Of all the forces to join when you run away from home... he picked Kalis's empire? "Hey... we'll find him then. Something tells me our quest for the waypoints isn't going to remain secret for long so... I expect to see some appearances put in by Kalis's forces at some point along the way. Anyway... I think we'll leave in two days; give everyone a chance to pack and prepare and get the households in order. I'll let you know when our flight is. I'll take some cash so we can equip ourselves down there... it's pretty much dominated by mining conglomerates, including our friend Zaloga having a presence down there as well. So yeah... we're gonna need some hardware. I'll keep in touch, OK?" he asked. "We'll accomplish both our objectives and try and find Eljert. Talk to ya soon." The ferret hung up, looking at the phone after he did, unsure about this new information, but knowing that before long, they'd be face to face with Kalis. He had no doubts about that...

On the bridge of the Red Castle, Kalis saw a black-scaled monitor with yellow underbelly approaching now. He too was clad in robes similar to Kalis's, but these were pure black instead of the red Kalis wore. Bowing his head respectfully to Kalis, he stood before his lord serenely, though with an intensity in his eyes. He was a killer, plain and simple, and looked as if he had no respect for life. He was a Nile monitor, and a fierce looking one at that.

"Lord Kalis, you summoned me?" the monitor asked.

"Yes, Varanus." Kalis responded. "It seems Agent Acyle is accessing the waypoints to Torment's Cataract. This is perfect... we can use this to plot her movements and take her. Remember... she must be taken alive. She is traveling with companions however... companions you may terminate. I have no use for any of them except her. And... should you fail to seize her here... we can simply use this to locate the Cataract as well."

Varanus smiled here in a deathly fashion, grinning as he bowed again. "Yes, my lord. Such a task will be... simple, I think."

"Do NOT grow overconfident!" Kalis chided him. "She's a strong opponent, and we know at least one of her companions is worthy of respect as well. Don't blindly rush into this!"

"Of course not, Lord Kalis." Varanus apologized, bowing his head again and closing his eyes.

"Good... now... assemble your team... they're going to Bolivia... I want you there." Kalis ordered, narrowing his eyes.

"As you wish... my lord." Varanus nodded, and turned to depart. from the bridge. Kalis watched him go, his eyes still narrowed. Varanus had to learn to curb his enthusiasm in some regards, as impatience would be his death if he wasn't careful. Still... he was fiery and ruthless, and was most of what Kalis looked for in a subordinate. Time would tell if he would live up to the expectations Kalis had placed on him or not.

La Paz's El Alto International Airport was a bit crowded to start the week, but as summer was right around the corner, vacationers were coming down to Bolivia to get a taste of the Amazon and enjoy the start of their breaks, as well as escape the heat. Escape the heat? La Paz was up in the mountains, making it cooler than one might expect for June in Bolivia. Heading downhill on the North Yungas Road would be another story, as they'd be getting closer and closer to the sweltering jungle the further down that road they traveled, but for now, Tony wasn't going to knock on the pleasant weather here in the capital. Temperatures stood at an almost chilly 60 degrees, but Tony knew that would go up the further downhill they went.

Vergil found he rather liked the climate of La Paz, and thought that South America was nothing but a hellhole of a jungle before this, so he was pleasantly surprised to find he was wrong. "Well... this isn't half bad." Vergil commented with a smile as he picked up his bag from baggage claim.

"Not half bad at all!" Tony responded. "Hey Axel, want to go rent a vehicle with me? I think we'll be needing something all-terrain and big enough to hold everyone. Just a shame I couldn't import one of my cars down here." the ferret joked. "Still, we might even need to make it two vehicles since we have uh..." Tony did a mental count real quick, "Nine with us now. Probably WILL need two vehicles in fact."

Vergil unzipped his bag and retrieved the GPS out of it. He'd programmed it before they'd left with the coordinates of the waypoint, and he powered it on again to make sure the thing was working. "Hmm.... so it's about an hour's drive down the highway towards the North Yungas Road and from there... another hour and a half to two hours to the waypoint... depending on how fast we go... which I doubt will be very fast given that road's... layout." the gecko stated, tapping his chin with a big bulbous finger.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Soren shivered as the cold air bit through the short sleeves and shorts he wore. He knew Bolivia would be hot and humid. Except he had counted on being in the jungle, not high in the mountains.

He looked around the airport. Snatches of rapid-fire Spanish punctuated the air as artisans hawked locally made crafts and cuisine. Tourists mingled with people in business suits and obviously armed soldiers (probably from one of the many mining conglomerates that had a stake in the country). He was well aware that while the nations and governments existed, they were pretty much government in name only. The mining conglomerates were so powerful that they pretty much became the de facto government.

"Well," he said, leaning on his luggage. "Shall we get going?

------------

A few meters away, a middle-aged Chinese woman dressed in a long sleeved shirt reading "Jungle Sky Tours" and shorts was apparently playing with her cell phone.

Thanks to the advanced directional microphone in it, she had recorded Vergil's every word. She had also taken his picture and matched it with the photo Mace had uploaded to her phone.

Marion smiled. She could easily beat the group to North Yungas Road. All she had to do was get her luggage with its flying frame and other gear. It had been an easy task to get them into Bolivia. All she had to do was pose as an extreme sports junkie. The augments helped as it led people to assume she had lost her limbs in various extreme sports misadventures.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Axel looked around the airport and took a deep breath, enjoying the crowded atmosphere, the loud voices, the energy of the place. Shrugging his bag, which contained such life-saving essentials as plasters and bug spray, further onto his shoulder he turned to Lily. "This place seems nice! Maybe when this is all over, and your kids are safe and the world isn't going to be taken over by a crazy guy, we could vacation here?"

At Tony's suggestion, he turned and nodded. "Yeah, sure. Like a, a big Jeep or something?" He looked around at Soren, Marita and the others as he started to head off with Tony. "We'll be back soon, guys. Meet in the parking lot?" Axel glanced at Lily. "Want to come, hon-" He was cut off as a large, elderly man in a wheelchair rolled over his foot.

Triste looked over at Vergil and spoke up over Axel's wails of pain. "So when we get there... you have any memories of what we'll be up against? Anything at all?" Behind the dark sunglasses she wore, her eyes searched the gecko's face. Her hands were bunched into fists. Unlike Axel, the crowds made her extremely uncomfortable - it was perfect cover for anyone following them.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Marita   was wearing a summer shirt, jeans and  a camera, mostly as a ruse so onlookers would think she was just a tourist. ' at least we have a wide open period now,  Roses show doesn't open until November' Marita said. Both Rose and Marie were dressed for the jungle, but their fur provided insulation from the cold air. Rose had a brochure with facts about the country snd a map with roads.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Dammit!" Tony exclaimed as he saw Axel's anguish. "Hey! Watch it!" he reprimanded the guy in the wheelchair, who profusely apologized to the rat. "Ugh... come on, let's try and arrange our transport." Tony said, helping the rodent for the first few feet until his foot started to feel better. "We'll try to get two Land Rovers, maybe." he suggested as they started making their way toward the rental row, as Tony liked to call it at every airport, as all rental agencies were lined up in a row typically. As it turned, Vergil's agency was paying for it, which was nice as Tony didn't have to worry about family funds... though his father wouldn't hesitate if it meant saving the world of course.

Vergil noticed Triste appeared... nervous, but whether that was just her cover or not he wasn't certain. He knew agents were trained to blend in... and she certainly was doing that. "Uh... well as far as I remember... not much." he stated. "I don't think there was much to it aside from uh... you know I can't remember, I'm sorry." he sighed, looking down, then back up at her. "You uh... all right?" he asked, noting her anxiety.

Nodding at Soren, the gecko agreed. "Yeah... let's head out to the parking lot, let the others pick us up." he suggested, pulling up the telescoping handle on his bag and beginning to roll it towards the airport exit now.

As Tony headed for one of the rental agency desks, a large monitor bumped into him. "Hey!" Tony said again, snarling a bit as the lizard brushed past him. The big fellow had a baseball cap pulled down low over his eyes, and gave an apologetic wave.

"Sorry!" he hissed, moving on without a glance backwards.

"Dammit... what is this, run into our group day?" Tony asked, shaking his head as he watched the monitor walk off, then turned to continue on his way with a sigh.

Behind him, Varanus smirked, and nodded to a group sitting around a newsstand about 50 feet away in the airport. One raised a magazine in front of him, as if he were reading, but that was the signal for acknowledgment.

Tony managed to secure rental of two Land Rovers, and as each could seat five, it was enough to carry the group. After filling out the necessary paperwork, Tony looked over at Axel and grinned. "Let's pull up and screech the brakes like we're some big important limo service in front of our group. What do you think?" he asked, teeth flashing.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Lily was waiting patiently for the cashier of the small funnel cake stand to return so she could buy a post-flight snack.

"Sorry for the wait, ma'am!" A perky fuchsia folf in a tight apron bounced back over, holding a round clear-plastic tin containing her food.

Lily double-taked. "Flora! What--?" Gingerly, Flora put a paw over her mouth, grinning.

"We took a lil' road trip," she whispered, "After you told us where you'd be going. Things got a bit hairy, at one point we were lucky Foley knew how to hotwire a tow truck with a pair of nail clippers--"

"I can't talk right now!" Lily interrupted, glancing surreptitiously at her teammates near the cars. "Whatever you're up to, great, let's find a way to communicate later! but I gotta go!"

Flora winked. "Stay safe. I miss you when you're gone..."

Lily walked back over to the group, slightly shaken but hiding it well. "So, I never found out why it's called the road of death, or whatever," she said through mouthfuls of dough. "What life-threatening hazards will we be facing?"

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Axel was leaning on the counter as Tony finished signing the forms. When he handed them back, Axel stood up straight and grinned back at the ferret, holding out his hand for one of the sets of keys. "You read my mind... I call dibs on the black one though. It looks cooler."

--------------------------------------------

Triste glanced over at Lily as she returned from the vendor. "You haven't heard of La Carretera de los Yungas? It's a road that winds around the La Cumbre mountain pass, and... well, I'll put it this way. It's really narrow, and really high up. If whoever's driving isn't careful enough, we'll be sent plunging over the edge to our deaths. So you'd better hope that our drivers are up to it."

She looked back at Vergil as they emerged out into the parking lot. "I'm fine. Just... we're not exactly inconspicuous, and if anyone's following us, this crowd'll make it even easier for them. Keep your eyes open." Triste sighed. "As long as we don't do anything to draw attention to us, I'll feel better."

At that moment, a pair of Land Rovers roared up and screeched to a halt in front of the waiting group. The driver's window of the rear car rolled down, and Axel poked his head out, tooting the horn loudly. "Did anyone order a taxi?" he grinned, putting on a mock southern drawl. The crowd milling around all started to turn their heads towards them.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"I'm not the best when it comes to world knowledge," Lily confessed. Losing her complete memory from before 2 months ago will do that to a person. But after what she went through to get her human body back, she couldn't see herself being particularly scared of anything.

"I don't believe we've really met," Lily held her hand out to Triste, smiling. "Axel said you were pretty awesome at Zaloga Corporations. Thanks for keeping my husband safe, he does tend to jump into things a bit over his head."

It'll be nice to get to have a girlfriend who isn't psychotic for once, she thought happily to herself. Speaking of which, she wondered where Emilena had gotten off to. She, Rio and her gang hadn't even contacted Lily after the recruitment center raid. It's quite possible they decided to make off with the money they'd already gotten.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Tony practically did the same, driving a light blue Land Rover right up to the group and blaring the horn at the same time Axel did. Vergil closed his eyes and dropped his head, shaking it in disbelief. There goes the not drawing attention to ourselves...

"All right, your rides are here!" Tony exclaimed, getting out to open up the trunk of the Rover so the others could load up their luggage. "And ah... we're gonna need a driver for the second Rover, since Axel's afraid of heights... and probably won't want to be doing the driving down the Yungas Road."

"Count me out." Vergil chimed in as he placed his bag into the trunk. "I can barely see over the steering wheel on most vehicles, and have a problem reaching the pedals on good days." he explained.

"Yeah well... I didn't mean you." Tony replied, looking down at the white gecko with a smile. "So yeah... any volunteers to drive one of the world's most dangerous roads?" he asked, half-joking but mostly serious. Vergil climbed into Tony's Rover and took one of the three backseats. Each Rover could sit five, so it would require five in one, four in the other.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'll Drive Marita said " so who wants to ride with me she said to the others ' i'll go with the larger group " Marie said. " then that leaves besides me and Marita" rose said as she climbed in the passenger side and Marita climbed into the drivers seaty. Marie climbed in next to Vergil..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Vergil looked over at Marie and cleared his throat. "Ahem... don't mean to interrupt your plans, but would you mind if I sat next to Agent Acyle? I have some things I need to go over with her." he stated as politely as he could.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Certainly' Marie said and she moved over to the other side of the car to give Vergil and Triste some room to talk. the car had a slight smell to it, but nothing too obnoxious..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Triste looked at Lily's hand then shook it, returning the smile slowly. "Nice to meet you too. And you're welcome. Gets himself in over his head, you say?" She looked across to the second vehicle, where Axel was hopping out and sticking his tongue out playfully at Marita as she took over. "I'd... never have guessed.." Triste said hesitantly, turning back.

"Hey girls!" Axel said cheerily, making his way over to them. "Ready for our date with crazy thin roads and disgusting bugs?" Triste's expression darkened, and he shrank away slightly. "Ok, not a 'girls' type of person... good to know..."

Rolling her eyes, Triste looked at Lily. "I'm going to join the others. See you at our destination, and good luck with..." She pointed a claw at the rat, then turned and made her way over to the first vehicle, stepping aside as Marie made room for her. "Any strategies in mind?" she asked Vergil as she settled in next to him.

Axel watched her leave with a critical expression. "She's a real ray of sunshine, isn't she." Bending down to pick up their heavier bag, he grinned at Lily and started to walk back to the Land Rovers. "Want to take Marita's car? I'm almost 90 percent sure she won't send us over the edge to a painful death."

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Tony started up the Land Rover, and pulled out onto the airport loop once he was sure the others were set and ready to follow. Vergil passed the GPS up front to Tony, who set it up along the dash. "OK..." Tony said as he read the route. It wasn't just a GPS, but a navigational assistant as well, as it could take one right to an off-road spot deep in the jungle if one wanted, and that's just what it was going to do now. First though, they had to exit La Paz, and get onto the highway leading to the North Yungas Road. It was fairly straight-forward, and wouldn't require much navigating once they left the city. They could get on Ruta Nacional 3 right from the airport, and from there, almost three hours later, they'd reach the Death Road.

Of course, Ruta Nacional 3 also bypassed the North Yungas Road, and if only such a thing could be done, Tony would gladly take that option, but as it was, the waypoint lay off the Death Road, so the Death Road was where they needed to go. As he passed the row of cars loading and unloading their passengers, two Jeeps in particular pulled into the lane behind them, but at a good enough distance that it wasn't suspicious. They had been loading up bags and passengers, and looked like any other vehicles pulling out behind the Land Rovers. They continued to maintain their distance, keeping at least six car lengths back as Tony pulled onto Ruta Nacional 3, which was one of the major highways that serviced the airport.

Inside the lead jeep, Varanus tapped a claw on the passenger door's side panel, smirking to himself as he instructed his driver to maintain a safe enough distance behind the Land Rovers. No need to crowd them after all; it was a long drive.

"Thanks." Vergil thanked Marie after she had moved over. "Well... in regards to my strategy... I seem to recall Rex reprogramming this waypoint... and I'm trying to remember..." he said distantly, closing his eyes and rubbing his forehead with his fingers. "He wanted to make sure no one else could follow this path... yes... he uh... he reprogrammed it to speak English... and he... he uh... I think he put in a program that would lock anyone out that wasn't him... which may be problematic... but I'm hoping anyone in his group, myself included, would be part of the 'access group', so to speak." The white gecko explained. "Which would be me, Kalis, and himself. I'm hoping it'll recognize me and allow me access."

"He reprogrammed it?" Tony asked, glancing at Vergil in the rearview mirror. "What an asshole."

"Yeah well... he was a smart cookie, from what I remember. He wanted to ensure only he would be the one obtaining this battleship. And this jungle one I specifically remember as the one he reprogrammed. I don't think... he did that to any others." Vergil commented here, looking out the windshield at the highway ahead. "At least... I hope not." he murmured.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Lily smiled. "Sure. And I like Triste. She speaks her mind, and she seems very competent. A lot like I pictured from what you'd told me of her."

She beamed when she saw Marita again. "Marita! Long time since we last met! How have you been?" Lily had mostly kept to herself during the plane ride, but now that they were assembling into cars she hadn't much of a choice.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
lilly! So good to see you again!' Marita said  as she looked at her before pulling out after Tony " as for What I've been up to, well i've been living with rose and Marie and making ends meet really.  Corona is much much better than Lanthae, you can actually make a decent living there. So what have you been up to, and what brings you along on this little journey?' she asked the car moved on down the road..
-
 a hooded figure entered Kalis room. " Sujeno, reporting for duty, my Lord" he said in a low voice. ' what do you have need of me for? he asked.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: