The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Racing the Storm

Pterano · 1020 · 74946

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Vergil stepped forward now, softening a tad. "Well to be frank, it's not your business. It's something we have to take care of, and it doesn't concern outsiders we don't know, I'm sorry." he apologized here, not being confrontational, but making it clear she wouldn't be coming. "We'd prefer it if we parted ways here with you, no offense."

Tony noted her announcement about how heavily armed they were. "Take our word for it... we aren't up to no good... if we were, we wouldn't be talking right now but most likely engaged in combat so... yeah. Time constraint, as said." the ferret reiterated what Soren had stated.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Triste kept her eyes fixed on Kaien, waiting to see how the woman would respond. Something about her set Triste on edge, and she had no qualms about displaying her suspicion openly and unapologetically. The corner of her mouth tightened - in the brief time they'd been speaking to this newcomer, the jungle had darkened slightly. They were losing light. "We really are in a hurry, and we're on important business. So if you know what's good for you, you'll turn around and forget about us." Her eyes narrowed. "And you won't follow."

------------------------------------------

Rio watched Marion go with a disappointed frown. "Aw. I wanted to lock her up." Looking towards the vehicles, he saw they'd already been broken open and his expression brightened again. "I call dibs on any of the good shit!" he grinned, dropping his lolly in the dust and running over.

Reaching the closest car, he made his way over to the boot and reached in, grasping one of the travel bags kept inside and pulling it closer. Unzipping it eagerly, he started rifling through the contents. "Shit. Crap," he muttered as he went through, pulling out various items of clothing and dumping them unceremoniously around him. "More shit." His expression creased as he realised that all these clothes seemed to be straight out of an old gangster movie. Rio pulled out a fancy looking cap and turned back to the rest of the gang, waving it around. "Who the fuck dresses like this?!" Turning, he tossed it like a frisbee and watched it sail over the edge of the road. Grinning, Rio turned his attention back to the contents of the car and started rummaging through other bags.

yeswonderful

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Kaien motioned them onward with a waving of her augmented hand.

"Go on then, off with you all. Enjoy the bugs."

With a fleeting smile and tipping an informal salute, she turned and retreated into the undergrowth, quickly disappearing in the gathering darkness.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Soren swatted a mosquito away. "Call me suspicious but I think she's up to something."

He shook his head as it became dark. "Anyone remember to bring the headlamps?"

-----------

Marion flew partway up the mountain but then perched on a rock outcropping as she retracted her wings. Her grappling claws were extended to anchor her in place.

Thanks to her helmet having an inbuilt night vision system, the darkness posed no hinderance to her.

Her left arm's panels slid back, revealing her built-in piton gun. She took aim at one of the rock outcroppings and fired.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Vergil watched her go suspiciously, knowing there wasn't something right about this, and he didn't need to tap into her mind to read that. He was wary and on edge, knowing they were getting close to the ruins. "She might be close by, so don't drop your guard. We've had too many newcomers for this to be a coincidence." he commented.

Tony nodded, and the group pressed on into the jungle, the temperatures falling as darkness began overtaking the mountainside. Tony cursed his lack of foresight, but at least he had his fur to keep him warm. As for Vergil, he didn't seem to mind it so much, pressing on with determination in his orange eyes as they followed the navigator.

Before too long, upon a gradual slope, black forms rose up like teeth in the night. The moonlight bathed them in a soft glow, revealing them to be stone ruins that had mostly collapsed over the years thanks to the elements. A large, open area stretched out ahead of them, with some of the same paintings from before clearly visible on what remained of the walls. "Here we are!" Vergil declared, grinning as he made his way forward. He almost stumbled as blocks of stone came out of the Earth to meet his feet, the remnants of an ancient stairway leading up to the ruins clearly visible to him now.

It was strangely serene up here, but foreboding as well. The night air didn't stir as they advanced. The silent ruins were watching them, or at least that's how it seemed to the gecko. The remains of the walls were more like bared teeth or silent sentinels as opposed to a temple. The years had not been kind to this place, and it showed. It was like they were walking through a cemetery for giants, the massive stone slabs resembling tombstones 20 feet or more in height. It was unnerving to say the least.

"So this place looks cheery." Tony cracked, half expecting zombies to suddenly pop out of the ground. He kept his hand on his pistol, planning to go right for the headshots if that did occur. He'd played enough Left4Dead and Resident Evil to be ready for it, after all.

Vergil could clearly see the waypoint in the middle of the ruins. It's chrome-like surface glinted dully in the moonlight, the metal sphere sitting silently atop its podium. There was also a console that was badly rusted in front of it, and Vergil stopped upon reaching it. "Well... moment of truth... let's see if Rex is the only one capable of accessing this thing... in which case we're shit out of luck." Placing his finger on the activation screen, a sickly blue light suddenly burst in his face, causing him to blink. A garbled voice emanated from the console, slowly becoming coherent as the ancient device came to life.

"Greetings, travelers. Parameters prevent me from allowing you access to this place. Initiating neural scan now." Vergil silently prayed that either the machine was too broken to effectively perform this, or else he was one of the few who could gain access. A light-blue beam shot out and struck his forehead, but otherwise no other sensation was felt by the gecko. After a minute of this, the beam faded, and a green light appeared on the screen. "Neural pattern recognized. Welcome back, traveler." Vergil sighed gratefully, and relaxed visibly.

"Yes!" he whispered, but the sphere wasn't activating for some reason. Suddenly, a red light washed over the screen.

"Warning: Differences detected in neural patterns. Inconsistencies perceived. Conclusion: you are not the same traveler who programmed these parameters. Access denied."

"What?" Vergil asked, surprised. "Wait a minute! I've been here though! You said that! Isn't there some way to prove that?"

"I am only programmed to allow access to the one who programmed me. Processing... processing... unable to reconcile neural inconsistencies. Access denied." the console repeated.

"Dammit! Isn't there some way to show that I was one of the ones here before? Some way to prove it? Some way to unlock these parameters?" Vergil figured this machine was seriously malfunctioning, or worse, it did recognize him, but only accepted Rex as its programmer, which meant they were screwed anyway. "Some sort of other test? I can prove I was here before and that I can access the waypoint!" he demanded.

"Processing... processing... please wait... solution confirmed. You must face a trial by combat to prove you are a match with my data banks. Succeed, and you may progress. Fail and you will die." With that, the console blinked red over and over again, and suddenly, the ground began shaking.

"Oh shit! The hell?" Tony exclaimed, struggling to keep his balance as panels in the ground began to slide back, splitting the Earth and throwing up dirt as they moved away. Out of the ground, giant insects began to crawl. But not organic... they were metallic as proven by the glint they gave off in the low light. They weren't like the previous droids, however. These were agile looking, with four legs, long, thin bodies, and once again the arrowhead featured craniums. Long, prehensile tails whipped gracefully behind them, and they let out unearthly shrieks in the night that split the ears and caused Vergil to temporarily hold his hands over his ear holes to block out the banshee wails.

"Agh!" he gasped, noting two green lights blink to life on each of the creatures, creating ghostly sets of "eyes." There were nine in all this time, their tails cracking in the night and their legs digging into the ground as they got ready to charge. These roughly resembled cheetahs, or at least to Vergil they did. "Well... here we go again!" Vergil declared, igniting his energy blade, its red glow lighting up the night with an eerie ambiance. "I guess I have to prove I'm the warrior I was when I first visited this place with Rex and Kalis. I do remember we had to fight... but that's about it. All right... let's do it!" Vergil shouted, charging forward now towards one that sprang right towards him, its pointed front feet bared outwards. Suddenly, the feet sprouted multiple spikes, and Vergil just barely managed to dodge to the side in time. "Whoa!" he exclaimed, landing in the dirt a few feet away.

Tony pulled out his laser, figuring it'd be more useful here than his old-fashioned pistol. "Well Soren... you get your first taste of the killer droids... and I guess I do too!" Tony said now, gritting his teeth as he fired off a blast at the nearest one, only to watch in horror as the light beam refracted right off the surface. "Dammit! Must have weak points, like the other ones!" he shouted as the entire group was charged now by the machines...

(runner up)
(runner up)

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Figuring that a steel harpoon that was designed to dig into solid rock would be more effective against an armored war machine than copper jacketed lead bullets, Soren opted to use the piton gun. He grunted as he dropped to avoid one of the droid's lunging at him.

Swearing profusely, he took aim at one of the glowing green eyes and pulled the trigger. The gunshot echoed painfully in the dark chamber.

(OOC - I'm picturing the droids as lean anthro Cheetahs but they're hunched over.)

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Smart girl." Emilena sheathed her pistol. "Alright, ladies, its all ours. Tuck in."

Foley immediately popped the trunk and began checking the make and model of the car. "Steering column is locked, but I can get around it," he said to nobody in particular, as technicians have an annoying habit of doing.

Flora giggled as she grabbed the coat Rose had left in the backseat. "Ooh, doesn't this look splendid on me?" she curtsied sultrily at Rio. "Tell me I look darling..."

Nairda was busy stealing all the loose change from the glove compartments and drink holders. There wasn't much, this being a rented car, but he was certainly giving it his best shot.

Emilena glanced at the direction Marion had taken. "I think she's following the group. Well, that's our best chance of figuring where they're going. Nairda, with me. The rest of you, get these cars somewhere else and hold this position unless I radio you otherwise."

"Wait...we're staying behind?" asked Flora, lip quivering.

"No complaints here," shrugged Foley, who was already unscrewing the metal casing covering the wiring harness connector. Nairda seemed ready to volunteer Flora for his position, but knew better than to argue, and nervously exhaled and followed the leader.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Oh come on! What the hell is it with these places and killer robots?!" Axel yelled, grabbing Lily and tugging her over to the side, out of sight behind one of the small, jagged ruins. Bending down, he quickly patted his pockets, feeling for a weapon - but he had nothing on him. "Shit..."

Gritting his teeth, he peeked over the top of the stone and saw Tony trying to shoot them. "That doesn't work!" he called over. "You've gotta break the weak points! They're at... hold on..." Axel switched his vision and focused on one of the machines charging around. He instinctively looked on their back... but there wasn't anything there. "What..." Then he saw a bright glow lower down on the robot's body, on its underside between the two rear legs - protected by its hunched posture and spiked legs. Axel glanced quickly at the other eight and saw the same glow in identical locations. "Guys, the weak points - they're between their back legs! In the... ah, special place!" He looked down and Lily and grimaced. "What kind of weirdos built these things?" Raising his head, Axel's face blanched when he saw one of the machines turn and fix its set of green 'eyes' on him. Swiveling its body, it charged across the grounds towards their position. "Aw, crap..." Scrabbling to his feet, he ran out, waving his arms, trying to lead the machine away from Lily. It started to close with him, quicker than he'd anticipated. Swearing, Axel swerved and scrambled up a tall, moss-covered pillar that had toppled over, leaning at an angle against one of the crumbling walls.

Reaching the top, Axel looked back... and his stomach dropped when the machine arrived at the base and kept going, creeping lithely up the stone towards him. The rat tried backing up, but his hand closed on empty air. There was nowhere else to go... and the fall down to the floor didn't look inviting. Three quarters of the way up now, the machine hunched down, preparing to leap at him. Axel gritted his teeth - then gasped as a spike slammed into the side of its head, causing it to lurch to the side. A rope was attached to the end of the spike and as he watched the rope looped up and around its neck, again and again, pulling the robot down and holding it fast to the pillar.

As the robot struggled, Triste shimmered into sight on its back, holding her piton gun. Cutting the rope and slinging the gun over her shoulder she jumped back, landing on the pillar behind the machine, and stabbed her knife up between its legs. Sparks flew out from the energy source, and the robot slumped over, the green lights on its head dying out. Triste looked up and met Axel's eyes. "That's twice," she muttered, stepping off the pillar and sprinting away.

"And I'm... I'm grateful every time!" Axel called after her numbly. "Holy shit..." Taking a deep breath, he slid down and wrapped his hands around the spike embedded in the machine's head. Straining, he managed to tear it free and ran down the rest of the pillar to try and help the others, holding the spike as an impromptu spear.

----------------------------------------------

Rio looked up from the mess of belongings around him, and smirked at Flora. "Makes you look like a fucking lesbian," he told her breasts, as he fished out an expensive looking pair of sunglasses and slipped them on.

When he heard Emilena's command, the boy looked up at her. "What? We just wait here?!" He grimaced and brushed his hair out of his eyes. "That sucks..." As the pair headed off, Rio sighed and rushed over to Nairda. "Be careful!" he said, hugging his waist.. and snaking thin fingers into the fox's pockets, fishing out all the change Nairda had found. Surreptitiously palming the loot, he broke the hug and grinned up at him. "Good luck!"

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Great' More robots for us' To kill' Marita groaned as the machines rushed at them. these were smaller than the robots they fought at the first Waypoint, they were also faster. Marita moved around the ruins, ducking behind the stone pillars and making her way over the uneven ground. Rose tried shooting at the  Machine pursuing her, but the shots simply pinged off the robots midsection. marie was throwing small rocks at her pursuer, and not having much luck.. Rose finally managed to get a shot on the inside of the machines legs and destroyed the energy source keeping it alive.. ' shoot.. well its privates!;' she called to the others. ' those things dont have privates! Marie retorted as she ran ' Well, where its privates would be if it were a living breathing thing!" Whoever designed these things sure had a sick sense of self preservation' Marita muttered  as she looked for a way to attack the machine pursuing her.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
((Not anthro; they're kinda like this: this))

Vergil lunged at his opponent, thrusting his blade forward to have it knocked aside by the sharp tail, which the gecko was discovering could be used just like a sword. He'd need to get force behind his swing to shear it off, he reckoned, but right now, he went for one of the legs. Ducking under the slashing tail, Vergil ran forward and cried out, hacking off the right foreleg of the machine and watching it totter before it righted itself.

The thing must've utilized nanotechnology however, for a new leg began sprouting from the stump of the old one, a process that was curious to watch as it seemed to simply grow out from the remnants. "These guys regenerate!" he shouted out to the others, finally hearing Axel shout out where the weak spot was. Perfect...

Dodging another lightning slash from the creature, Vergil leaped up, and landed upon its back. This was short-lived however, for an electric jolt suddenly passed through his body, hitting him like a brick, the force of which threw him off the back of the creature and deposited him unceremoniously on the ground. "Agh!" he cried out, his backside burrowing into the dirt. "Ugh... OK... these things don't like you touching them..." he murmured, getting back up as the droid advanced once more upon him.

Tony meanwhile was feeling a bit in over his head. He wasn't able to line up a shot on his opponent, and was fleeing across the ground, trying not to stumble and break his leg on any of the numerous stones poking out of the ground. He came up with the idea to get the creature to pass over one of the numerous piles of temple jutting out of the ground, hoping it'd rip its vital spot open. The first attempt was interesting, if unsuccessful. Tony vaulted over a block in his path, the droid followinghim right over it and demolishing the ancient stone as if it were nothing more than a toy, rocks flying everywhere in the process. One struck the ferret in the back, knocking him to the ground with a sharp exhale.

He'd just barely managed to avoid having the wind knocked out of him as he rolled over on to his back and attempted to struggle his way back to standing, something he failed at as the creature loomed over him, its spikes extending from its hands as it went for the killing blow. Tony flinched, and then took his shot, noting that as the creature reared up it exposed itself. Firing off multiple shots with a shout, he missed the first few times, growing more and more desperate, his heart pounding in his chest with fierce hammer blows before his fourth shot finally scored. The laser beam lanced into the creature's underside and it screamed out, toppling forward onto him.

Tony shut his eyes and shut down, crying out as the thing's head landed on top of him. "Ooof!" Opening his eyes, the ferret saw he was still alive, and began fighting to lift the thing off of him. He was slowly succeeding, groaning with exertion as he managed to start to wiggle out from underneath.

Vergil meanwhile was still battling with his first opponent. He was attracting the attention of another one though, and knew he had to finish this first one off quickly. Spinning underneath the droid, he drove his sword upward, slicing into the thing's underbelly as he ran along the length of it, slashing through the weak point and clearing the creature by its tail as it shuddered and then collapsed onto the ground. Four down, five to go...

He barely had time to catch his breath however as the second droid attacked him, Vergil feeling the rush of wind on his back as the creature missed within centimeters of his skin. Vergil spun and sliced off the spikes, which quickly regenerated.

The piton that imbedded in the eye of one of the creatures from Soren's shot was quickly electrified, the charge shooting out down the wire and right towards Soren, even as the droid advanced on him, claws flexed for action, and a laser bolt shooting out of the only functioning eye it had left right towards him...

(runner up)
(runner up)

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren screamed in agony as the electric shock forced his muscles to contract, locking the gun in his grasp. Luckily, the shock was also strong enough to throw him away from where the droid had aimed with its laser as well as rip the piton from its eye.

The Human groaned as he lay prone on the rocky ground. It was then he heard someone say that the robots' weak points were where the genitals on a living creaturw would be.

He reached for his piton gun and removed the wire spool, leaving just the ten round harpoon magazine. Normally the gun could not fire without both components but he decided to shove a piece of debris into the spool holder in an attempt to bypass the safety.

He lay down in the rocky debris field. Soon, he felt the ground shudder as one of the war machines crawled over him. By the light of the energy blade Vergil was using, he was able to see what looked like a battery pack between the droid's hind legs. He only had one shot at this, seeing as the machine's tail and legs were out of the way.

Muscles screaming in agony, he braced himself against the rocks, raised his piton and pulled the trigger, sending the metal harpoon flying sans cable to its target. Unfortunately, the recoil of the projectile forced out the rock Soren had lodged in the spool holder.

"Well, I guess I could try tripping them with the cable," he muttered as he slowly searched for the discarded cable spool.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Trying to move as quietly as possible, Axel sprinted through the ruins, trying to avoid coming into direct contact with one of the machines. The night air was filled with sounds of shouting, shooting and the bizarre, piercing screams that the robots emitted. He swallowed, and was about to start making his way back to check on Lily when he heard another robotic scream, this one much closer than the others, and a reverberating thump as something hit the floor. Picking up his pace, Axel vaulted over an old slab, rounded a section of wall... and almost fell flat on his face as he caught his foot on the machine Tony was trapped under.

"Jesus!" he gasped, steadying himself then quickly bending down to help Tony struggle free. "Never thought... I'd say this," he panted as he heaved the 'dead' machine up. "But... fuck robots..." Tony had just managed to crawl out when Axel was struck hard from behind. Flying forwards, he landed heavily on his stomach. Struggling around onto his back, the rat gaped as he saw one of the machines looming over him. It swiped a spiked limb down, aiming to skewer him. Yelling, Axel raised the spike he'd retrieved before, stabbing the point into the limb and stopping it inches from slicing into him. Straining to keep the machine at bay, Axel shouted across to Tony. "Kill it! Fucking kill it!"

Across the other side of the ruins, Triste was ducking out of the way as a robot lunged at her. Rolling on the floor, a cloud of dust flying around her, she turned to face the machine as it started pacing. Triste was waiting for an opening, a way to get at its energy source, but the machine wasn't making it easy. Gritting her teeth, she activated her cloaking... but the machine's eyes tracked her, and as she tried to move in for the kill it swiped its tail at her, forcing the spider gecko back. Okay... so that's not going to work...

Deactivating the cloak, Triste looked around for something that could help... and her eyes settled on Soren as he searched for something. Swallowing, she darted across towards him, feeling the ground vibrate as the machine gave chase. She reached the human and, unceremoniously seizing the back of his shirt, Triste threw him over to the side. The pursuing machine swiveled its head towards the sprawled human, and started approaching him instead. It reared up, and just when it was about to strike him Triste darted in from the side, running beneath its body and skewering the power core. As the robot toppled to the side, Triste made her way over to Soren and offered him a hand up, frowning. "Had to be done."

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena gritted her teeth as she pulled herself hand-by-hand up the rope. "You better not be falling to your death back there!" she snapped over her shoulder at Nairda.

"Doing my best! Hehe..." Nairda shivered as the air got thinner and colder.

"Whatever you do, just don't look down!" Emilena advised.

"Gotcha!" he replied nervously. Don't look down... he thought to himself, don't look down...

And then they reached the top and to his delight he had managed to restrain himself from looking down.

"Now where'd that overgrown hang glider get off to?" Emilena muttered to herself.

--------------------------------

Flora sniffed at Rio's suggestion. "Well, I never!" she scoffed, mimicking a British noblewoman's voice. "I am a refined gentlewoman, you scurrilous whelp!"

"Could you two be dumb somewhere else?" groaned Foley, still tinkering under the steering column with a long thin silver instrument. "I'm working here."

Flora walked further away from the Jeeps, and noticed a waterfall not too far away. "Oh, Rio..." she whispered coyly, so that Foley couldn't hear. "It was an awful long trip to get here. How about we take a little...shower? Hmm?"

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
They were down to only three opponents now, but one was hotly engaged with Vergil, and the second was approaching Tony and Axel. "Thanks!" Tony grunted, crawling out as Axel lifted the deceased robot's head off of him. "Fuck robots? Heheh, Fucktherobots.com, right?" he asked, chuckling a bit at the joke they'd developed about the Purifiers half a year ago, which seemed like forever now.

"Oh shit!" the ferret exclaimed, eyes going wide as he saw another one aiming to attack them now. Axel managed to block the blow however, and the rat yelled at him to kill it. "Uh... right!" Tony replied, quickly springing back into action. The moonlight certainly lent an unearthly feel to this battle, with light sources dancing and being snuffed out, then reappearing and swirling about in the darkness.

Tony darted forward as Axel held the droid off, moving underneath rapidly as he raised his laser and fired just as the droid multitasked like a boss and whipped its tail underneath its body to strike at Tony. The laser burned into the sensitive area of the droid, causing it convulse and shudder but not before its tail struck Tony, tossing the ferret into a stone pillar and causing him to fall painfully to the ground with a brief cry and look of anguish on his face, his arms drawn in close to his body as he lay sprawled on the ground.

Vergil twisted and spun in his "dance" with the penultimate droid. His sword flashed here and there, looking almost like a glow stick at a rave as the gecko tried to get in and deal the finishing blow. He ducked low to avoid incoming spikes, hacking the hand off only to have it reform. He felt a sharp pain in his back this time as the claws didn't miss, and raked across his backside, drawing some blood. "OK you son of a bitch..." Vergil replied, skidding in the dirt with a look of intense concentration on his face. The droid was suddenly lifted off the ground, though it was clear Vergil was exerting himself greatly to do so. Sweat ran down his skin, and what muscles he had bulged as he telekinetically held the droid in place in the air.

Roaring out, he threw it backwards against part of the temple, the thing rattling and shattering a bit as its spine broke and it was nearly torn in half. Vergil struck like lightning, darting forward as the droid began repairing its midsection, and plunged his sword into the now very exposed weak point, watching the robot writhe and die in front of him like a mortally wounded animal. One to go...

(runner up)
(runner up)

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Marion was at the top of the mountain. "What the..." She trailed off as she watched the fight between the robots and Vergil's crew through her compnoculars.

"Mace," she said into her throat mike. "Do you see this?" Thanks to the encrypted satellite uplink, Mace was seeing everything that Marion saw.

------------

Soren accepted the hand. "Thanks," he said with a grunt as he pushed himself to his feet.

He looked at his piton gun. "So did I kill it?" His bosy twitched a"slightly as an aftereffect of the electric shock.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Axel heard a cry from Tony, but with the robot shuddering and convulsing above him he couldn't see what had happened. "Tony! You alr- Argh!" The disabled machine's body collapsed down on Axel, winding him. Struggling, he stretched out a hand and hooked his fingers into the dirt, managing to drag himself out from beneath the metal shell.

Rolling over and stumbling to his feet, Axel darted his head around. He couldn't see the ferret anywhere. "Tony? Where'd you go?!" He suddenly saw a dark shape huddled on the floor, and his eyes widened. "Oh crap..." Rushing over to Tony's side, he crouched down and gently shook his shoulder, starting to help him up. "You okay? Come on, we need to get moving..." He knew trying to move Tony probably wasn't a great idea in case anything was broken... but they were exposed out here, and he had no idea how many more of those machines were roaming around - he didn't fancy their chances if another came across them.

Further across the grounds of the ruins, Triste helped Soren up. "Yeah, you got it." She noticed his twitches, and cocked an eye. "You feeling alright? Keep your guard up, I think most of them are down..." From behind, she heard a sudden rush of movement. Triste spun around to see the final machine rushing across the grounds, almost on them. Swearing, she shoved Soren out of the way and raised her knife to try and go for its weak spot... but too late. The robot slammed into her and she sailed backwards, flying up and over one of the ruined walls and landing none-too-gracefully on the other side. Grunting, holding her side as she rolled over and stood up, Triste caught a flash of white and glanced to the side to see Vergil standing over a 'dead' robot. "I can't say this is the vacation I hoped it'd be..." she muttered, wincing at the pain in her ribs.

She was about to say more, when the wall she'd been thrown over crashed inwards in a rain of dust and broken stone. The machine charged through, and darted towards them.

------------------------------------------

Rio shook his head at Flora's voice, annoyed at being interrupted from his game of 'Flick the pebbles at Foley'. "What? No. I already had a shower a few weeks ago." After a second he paused mid-flick and looked up, sensing the tone of Flora's voice. "Wait... are you..." He beamed. "Well, shit! Yeah! I want a shower!"

The next time Flora blinked, Rio had already shot past her, tearing off his grimy T-shirt as he practically flew towards the waterfall.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren grunted as he was thrown aside. He swore as something dug into his side. He silently cheered as he realized it was the cable reel for his piton gun.

Loading the reel, and waiting for the harpoon to attach to the cable, he took aim at the creature's battery pack between its hind legs. Seeing as he had only one shot, he pulled the trigger. But mindful of what happened last time, he immediately cut the cable. This time, the steel harpoon went towards the target trailing a remnant of the cable.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Mace could see the battle on-screen, and nodded to himself. "Yes... yes I can... it's not the first time I've seen these... creatures, either." he added. He knew full well what was below his building. His brother had told him, and he'd investigated it himself, but had decided after losing some personnel that it wasn't worth pursuing. It had led to his brother's defection and demise after all, and that was something that still rankled with him. He didn't elaborate just yet though, silently watching the battle unfold as Marion broadcast it back to him.

Vergil, though exhausted, noted that Triste was in trouble, and shook his head. "No... no!" he exclaimed, trying to stand up straighter so he could spring back into action. "Dammit... get out of there!" he called, but that didn't help, as the machine advanced relentlessly on her. Soren managed to fire off the piton at the droid, and though it found its mark and impacted on the soft spot, it had no visible effect. Vergil immediately realized it hadn't had the strength to penetrate the still considerable armor these things were sporting, most likely due to the greater distance this time.

"No!" Vergil gasped as it continued moving on Triste and Soren. "Dammit!" He ran towards its back, knowing he'd only have one chance or he'd be spent. He held out his hand, focusing on the spike, and trying with all his might to drive it up further into the belly of the beast.

Tony coughed a bit, regaining his breath, and was helped up painfully by Axel. "Oh!" he winced. "I... I dunno... I can stand... maybe..." But he instead wobbled, almost toppling if not for the fact Axel had him. "Ow! That... that really hurt..." Tony said, feeling as if his back had been struck multiple times with a sledgehammer.

He looked up in time to see the piton Soren had imbedded in the beast get telekinetically pushed upwards into the creature, as if by magic. Vergil was there, straining himself visibly as he managed to drive the spike upwards, causing the machine to start convulsing, its arms gyrating violently before it collapsed in a scrap heap on the ground in front of Triste and Soren. Panting, Vergil stumbled over towards them, making right for Triste. "Are you... are you all right?" he asked her, concern on his features before he sank down to his knees in front of her, gazing up into her face with hope.

"Ugh... I guess we did it!" Tony exclaimed painfully, having Axel move him over to a stone block so he could sit down. "That was... pretty tough. Hey uh... Rex didn't reprogram any more waypoints, did he?" Tony asked, with Vergil shaking his head.

"No... I don't think so." he replied breathlessly.

"I think I'm... I think I'm OK..." Tony informed Axel. "I think... I'll tell you in about ten minutes, how's that sound?" he asked.

"Neural pattern recognized in combat scenario. Deactivating security parameters. Have a nice day." the console spoke up now, its screen turning green and then going off as the waypoint activated. The chrome sphere lit up like a Christmas tree, millions of points of light shooting out of it to form a 3D projection of the Earth that began rotating, like before. Now only three red dots blinked into existence on the surface: one in the Atlantic between South America and Africa (though it was closer to Brazil than Africa), the second either in southern Egypt or the northern Sudan, and the final one in the southern China region.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Lily had found somewhere to hide. This wasn't exactly her forte. She glanced at Axel nervously. Why couldn't he demonstrate some amount of self-preservation?

-------------------------

Flora grinned and raced after him. At the edge of the water she stripped off her shirt, revealing her fluffy white chest.

"Why can't Emilena be more like you?" She giggled, keeping only her skirt on for the time being to toy with him. "We're going to have so much fun!"

She paced towards Rio, muscles arched, herding him into the water. Her bright blue eyes were inflamed with expectation, and her hands were quivering.

-------------------------

Emilena and Nairda stumbled back to the cars. "These mountains are impassable..." she groaned. "Did you crack them yet?"

"Yes, ma'am!" Foley sat up, wiping his brow on his shirt. "These vehicles are driveable and humming! You're welcome, by the way."

"Excellent, let's get moving." Emilena hopped into the driver seat of the first one. "Where's Flora? Driving is her only blasted job."

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
maerita, Rose and Marie slowly approached the others, their clothes stuck to them, from the exertions of avoiding the machines..' so whixh one do we tackle next?' Marita asked ' The one in the Atlantic looks closest.' She said ' Course getting a flight out there woill be tricky.,. we could get a boat and ride it out there although that might take awhile' She said.
- the first one had 6 machine, this one had 9, well if the patterm continues, we'll face 12 at the next stop, 15 at the 4th and 18 at the 5th and final one.." marie said.'I'm not loing forward to that..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: