The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT application to the D20 system

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
This is just an idea I had, not sure how it will pan out. Before I start asking if anyone's interested I thought I'd first check how much people know about the d20 system (I have a feeling that only one or two people will have even heard of it...).

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Are you referring to the Dungeons and Dragons / dice?

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Dungeons & Dragons does use the d20 system, yes.

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
I just rolled a d20 just now... got a 16

So I guess that means the Sharptooth misses Littlefoot by a few feet after a lunging attack. Am I right?

wait... who's the DM here?

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: AvestheForumFox,Mar 4 2008 on  06:05 PM
So I guess that means the Sharptooth misses Littlefoot by a few feet after a lunging attack. Am I right?
Hmm, not sure. Littlefoot would have a high bonus to his AC due to his size, but then Sharptooth would have a pretty high base attack bonus...heh...

Anyway, I'm still not sure whether people's knowledge is fairly good or rudimentry. To anyone who does have (at least basic) knowledge of the system, do you think a LBT adaptation would work?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You'd have to decide on what level each are, and make classes also.   Also the gang may be bonuses to ac against larger apponants.  Also isn't there a 4th edition coming out at some point?

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Classes would be a problem, although the system could be adapted so that you could gain racial levels instead. Basically, it would need work.

As to the bonuses for AC go... the smaller you are the higher your size bonus to AC (and Base attack bonus). Larger things have penalties to these.

EDIT: I haven't heard anything about a fourth edition, but it wouldn't suprise me.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Last I heard the Player guide will be out in June of this year.  The main page, which I've not looked over much is at: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4main/master

There could be some classes or race classes, farwalker, resident, story speaker.  Maybe some that could exist like scout, guard, leader, elder, to define roles some have within a herd.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Classes would be a problem, although the system could be adapted so that you could gain racial levels instead.
Exactly, this would be simple enough, really:
a "longneck" class, a "threehorn" class, etc. and subclasses as Kor suggested could add additional depth is desired.

I'm not very familiar with the rules but I do know of its existance :p

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
No... longneck and threehorn and so on would be "races", not "classes." Put into very general terms, a "race" what you're born as, and a "class" represents your life experience.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
B) Ahh okay, we're going to use races And classes, gotcha. :wow

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Mar 4 2008 on  09:42 PM
B) Ahh okay, we're going to use races And classes, gotcha. :wow
I take it that you might be interested then?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Possibly but I have Waaaay too much going on already. :p
We'll keep in touch though.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Just in case people don't know what we're on about, here's a sample of play from Dungeons & Dragons:

Example: Start the game with the GM telling you where you are and some general ideas about your surroundings, Such as: "You find yourself in a swamp. To the North you can see a house. To the West you can go further into the swamp. The East and South passages are blocked by dense growth".
Player 1: "I move to the North slowly, drawing my sword in case something attacks us."
Player 2: "How deep is the swamp water?"
Player 3: "Is the house in good repair?"
Player 4: "I move to the North, too."
GM: "The two of you begin to move north slowly, the mud sucking at your boots from below the water line. The water is about one to two feet deep; generally shin-deep. {Player 3}, you try to determine the quality of the house from where you are. Make a spot check."
Player 3, who is trying to see if she can do something that may or may not be feasible is asked to make a "spot check". She will roll a twenty-sided die (d20) and add her skill of Spot to the total. The GM, in secret, will determine a number that represents how difficult it would be to succeed; this is called the "DC". If the player's total is equal or above the DC, then the attempt succeeds. More detail on how this works can be found in the Player's Handbook or in the SRD (System Reference Document).
Player 3 rolls a 13 on the d20. She adds the +3 she has in Spot, giving her PC a total of 16 to see the condition of the house. The GM had made the DC a 10, as it was fairly easy to see.
GM: "Squinting at the structure, you see that it seems to be leaning a bit to the side, with boards on the windows. It is unlikely that anyone has lived there in some time, but as to any thing living there... well, you're not too sure."

This is hardly an action-packed sample but you should get the idea.

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://wahyawolf.deviantart.com
I've heard of this, but never done anything like it myself; so my knowledge about it is very minimal. I'm used to RPG styles using paragraph length posts (probably the most common type online). It sounds like fun though, I'd just have to learn more first (and I also have way too many things to keep up much of the time :lol)