The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Felidae

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
How many people here have seen it? And if so, what are your thoughts on it? In case you guys don't know what I am talking about, here is a picture of it.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Well since it is a German cartoon, I can safely say I never even heard of it. ^^;

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Heard of it, but never knew what it was about.  Its not easy to get dvds from other regions to play in US-only equipment.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Yeah, movies from the rest of the world don't often catch as much attention as the US productions. But I must confess that as the only Germany currently active here I never ever heard of this movie either :unsure:

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, I don't. What this movie's all about?

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
From what I heard, it's about a cat solving the mystery of another cat who has been murdered. I also hear it is very bloody and violent.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Quote from: Weather_lord_7,Jan 22 2007 on  03:40 PM
From what I heard, it's about a cat solving the mystery of another cat who has been murdered. I also hear it is very bloody and violent.
Little wonder Americans know nothing of it....nobody would release it without editing it first.  :rolleyes:  <_<

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, I found some trailers for the film on youtube (Thank God for Youtube :) )

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

WARNING: Trailer 2 can get very graphic and sick, especially if your a cat lover.

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Ok, it's on youtube. Look it up sometime or another.

(WARNING!! It has both graphic images and sexual content!)

But it's still a worthwhile movie.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
*POSSIBLE SPOILER, BUT ONE YOU MAY WANT TO READ BEFORE WATCHING FELIDAE*

Well apart from the brain-breaking wierdness of animated cat sex(WTFlol), I thoroughly enjoyed it. The violence didn't bother me(the cats sex, on the other hand, did), in fact, it makes me kinda happy to know that other countries see cartoons as more than just a distraction for children.

Seriously, I just can't get over the sex scene. It doesn't show "anything", but I'd still like to talk to the creator and ask him what the hell he was thinking/on.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Woah...watched the second trailer, and were they pouring acid on that cat's head?  :o  :o  What the hell were these animators on when creating this?  :P:

I also grabbed the film from youtube and will watch it later.  People seem to be giddy about a sex scene...whatever that is.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I watched it on youtube.
Well, that was different! :blink:
Sure not the every day type of childrens movie. Produced at a time when cartoon in general was perceived as a genre mostly for children it is not a big surprise that at that time the movie did not become a huge success. I wonder what reactions it would cause to day.
As for the language of the movie I must say I'm very curious what some parts of it would sound like in the German original. While I think that in general German offers more strong but "socially acceptable" swearwords than English does there are some parts in the movie which would definitely be peculiar to translate.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
I watched Felidae last night, along with Plague Dogs, and I have to say I quite enjoyed it, though it surprised me a bit with some scenes, such as the ones concerning Felicity and of course the aformentioned mating. I am glad to see an adult-themed cartoon for once. Those seem quite rare.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Ok, finished watching it, and I'll say Plague Dogs was much stronger in storyline.  I wonder if multiple viewings of Felidae will smoothen the plot quirks out because I was kind of like "okkaaayy, how did all that come together again?" sort of reaction.  That was pretty orgy when it comes to animation; how often do you see cats in heat?  :P:

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Jul 8 2007 on  07:33 PM
That was pretty orgy when it comes to animation; how often do you see cats in heat?  :P:
Unfortunate typo?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Two cats don't really make an orgy though, do they Petrie?
Looking at the usual cartoon standarts a certain degree of exaggeration may help to get the idea accross though.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I paint a pretty broad picture when using that term. :p  Either way its atypical of what you find in the states.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I paint a pretty broad picture when using that term.
So we are all products of an orgy? I don't really think so :blink:
Either way its atypical of what you find in the states.
Not just in the states. While there is a certain tendency to ascribe prudery to American productions in particular I can assure you that I didn't see any comparable degree in any other cartoon production from over here either.
Above all however there was an extreme degree of violence in the movie. In my opinion they overdid it. I guess I would have to read the book to understand every aspect of the movie. So far I think it is kind of unfair that they presented Gregor Mendel as a kind of synonyme for perverted science or the causer of cruel animal testing. My knowledge of Gregor Mendel is limited, but I am quite sure that he was not the kind of Mengele for animals as which he was presented in the movie (peas where his prefered subjects of study).

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
You sure you're using the same definition I am Malte?

or?gy   (Ùr'jē) Pronunciation Key
n.   pl. or?gies
A revel involving unrestrained indulgence, especially sexual activity.

American Heritage Dictionary

That was certainly a main key in this mystery, and what I was saying is that its not typical to see something presented in animation which revolves heavily around animals in an aroused state.  There have been many animal films of course, but none really focus on this feature of life.

Above all however there was an extreme degree of violence in the movie. In my opinion they overdid it.

Plague Dogs wasn't any prettier, but I don't think its overdone.  Maybe it just seems that way because very violent animated films are not the norm.