The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

New Ghostbusters Movie Trailer

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm just going to say it.  The feminists got to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw

Yep, an all-female version of it.  Hopefully the personalities aren't "Copy-Paste of the original, but female".  I want them to be their own unique characters.  It's nice that one of them has the knowledge to recreate the tech in question, but I hope she's not a Copy-Paste of Egon.

Here's my quick thought.  I want it to not suck just because it's Ghostbusters and I'm a fan, but at the same time, I do want it to suck just so that it can be seen that listening to the anti-men feminists is a bad idea.

Yeah, kind of conflicted with this one.  Might give it a chance, but I want to see what others say before I see it.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
The all female cast is not news, it's been known ever since they've started production.

The trailer was fine, I guess. I'd rather they just stayed away from the franchise all together, but Hollywood is only looking for easy cash grabs nowadays.

Paul Feig's movies usually have bad trailers but end up being great comedies. Take Spy for instance, terrible trailer, very funny movie.

I believe the same will happen with this version of Ghostbusters, but I'm not going to watch it in theaters. There are too many good movies coming out this year to waste my money on this one. But I will catch it later as soon as it's available online.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Wow, not a single funny moment in the whole trailer. This bodes poorly for the movie.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I love how people blame 'feminists' for this, even though the director is a guy, and one of the writers is a guy. I'm pretty sure if the feminists are protesting anything, it's the lack of exposure for female directors in the film industry.
Hollywood does not really care about that sort of thing, either way. If they think there's money in it, the movie will be made. They have a pretty transparent agenda.

Tangent aside, this looks pretty gimmicky. The original was corny in a charming sort of way, but I don't think the re-make will be able to repeat that effect. Could be wrong, though!

retrorobby

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.retrorobby.com
I'll watch the classic Ghostbusters. But not this one since it doesn't look at all funny. Plus most remakes these days are bad.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm pretty confused as to why they decided to just swap the characters to female. They could have done a "pass the torch" thing, and have the original crew give a new all-women's crew a chance to shine. Why change the already established characters into women? I'm not really sure what the purpose of that was.

One thing that I find both amusing and annoying is how feminists are lashing out at people who dislike the movie trailer, claiming that they are being 'sexist'. While I'm sure that's true for some of the people, but not everyone dislikes the trailer because they have an issue with female leads. There are other reasons to dislike this movie other than the sex swap.

As for me, I don't know if I will see it or not. I haven't really been into Ghostbusters all that much, really. So I don't have much of a drive to go see it myself. I might see it when it's on video, but not sure if I'll see it in the theatres or not.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am not looking forward to the internet war that will happen when this movie comes out.  I've done my best to stay silent since the trailer came out, but this thing has brought out the worst in geek culture and anti-man feminists, and it is not good.

Apparently, there are still those geeks who feel there should be no girls allowed in the culture.  That is sad.  You are a grown man!  Why remain sexist at this point?  Allowing a woman into your culture isn't going to be the end of the world.

Also, James Rolfe (AKA Angry Video Game Nerd) announced that he won't be seeing the movie.  The reaction has not been kind to him.  Now, he did explain his reasons and it was nothing against the main 4 women.  He clearly stated this.  It's just that it doesn't look impressive to him and he's not going to waste his time there.  However, anti-man feminists still have the mindset of "If you don't see this movie you are sexist towards women" and the comments are what you expect from there.  Done my best to report these threatening comments, (Yes, there have been threats.  The vast majority have been reported and removed by now.) but it's clearly out of control. x(cera

I want to remain optimistic that this movie will shatter expectations, but people have already decided to hate this movie.  I won't be surprised if there are those who won't see it and post a low score in Rotten Tomatoes.  If those that have already chosen to hate it do go to see it, they are likely going to look for every flaw possible without looking at any of the good just to back up their "opinion" in the end.

Until much of the heat dies down, I'm not going to see this movie.  I do have plans to see it, just not right away.

retrorobby

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I could say for that I'm choosing not see it cause I don't see point to it. But I'm not going to stop people if they want to go see it.

For me I grew up with the classic Ghostbusters so its kind of hard to watch a remake when you love originals.  

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

retrorobby

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Jun 1 2016 on  02:08 PM
Fans are outraged with this even I am
In all honesty. Who could really blame them. I sure can't because I'm sure most of them grew up watching the classic ones.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: retrorobby,Jun 1 2016 on  02:47 PM
In all honesty. Who could really blame them. I sure can't because I'm sure most of them grew up watching the classic ones.
Exactly I did and it was awesome I loved Dan Akroid and Bill Murry and Harold Ramis may he rest in peace. Now they have three females replacing them. And the trailer doesn't look good at all.

retrorobby

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Jun 1 2016 on  03:06 PM
Quote from: retrorobby,Jun 1 2016 on  02:47 PM
Exactly I did and it was awesome I loved Dan Akroid and Bill Murry and Harold Ramis may he rest in peace. Now they have three females replacing them. And the trailer doesn't look good at all.
I yeah I know what you mean bro.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The only good thing about this is Echto Cooler is back out.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jun 1 2016 on  12:35 PM
I'm pretty confused as to why they decided to just swap the characters to female. They could have done a "pass the torch" thing, and have the original crew give a new all-women's crew a chance to shine. Why change the already established characters into women? I'm not really sure what the purpose of that was.

One thing that I find both amusing and annoying is how feminists are lashing out at people who dislike the movie trailer, claiming that they are being 'sexist'. While I'm sure that's true for some of the people, but not everyone dislikes the trailer because they have an issue with female leads. There are other reasons to dislike this movie other than the sex swap.

As for me, I don't know if I will see it or not. I haven't really been into Ghostbusters all that much, really. So I don't have much of a drive to go see it myself. I might see it when it's on video, but not sure if I'll see it in the theatres or not.
This pretty much matches my views on the matter.  I have no particular love for the original films, but the reactions from some third-wave feminists have been absolutely despicable; the most notable being the harsh backlash against James Rolfe despite the fact that he clearly explained why he was not reviewing the film and was rather calm and level-headed in laying out his perspective on the matter.  To some people the mere act of not seeing a film deemed to be 'feminist' or 'empowering' is enough to label the person as a misogynist.  This hypersensitivity and intolerance of outside views from the more extreme parts of the American left wing is one of the things that has made me disassociate with those people.

As for the gender swap, I generally am not supportive of changing the race, sex, or identity of established characters or groups, except in the case of an 'alternative universe' timeline (as that leaves the original characters and setting intact for those fans who prefer the original).  People understandably become quite attached to characters that they have grown up with and they will tend to be dismissive of any perceived desecration of those characters.  Additionally, when Hollywood or a comic book publisher change the attributes of a character it often is perceived (rightly, in my opinion) as cynical pandering to certain groups in order to make a hero that that group can identify with.  A far better way of doing this would be to simply create a new series that has a new character in that demographic and to see if that new character and series takes off.  That however takes talent and entails a certain amount of risk; for that reason many studios find it easier to change established characters or series in order to make them more 'progressive', which inevitably leads to a lot of supportive press coverage from media outlets who cater to identity politics, and the lambasting of any critics of the change as being sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, etc.  It is a cynical operation that treats these groups (women, in this case) as nothing more than commodities to be pandered to, which is probably the exact opposite of what a person supporting equal rights would actually want.

As a side note: I have been invoked in both the gaming and atheist communities on YouTube and have seen similar techniques used by inter-sectional feminists in those communities to hijack those movements, silence dissent, and to split those groups.  It got to the point in gaming where actual trade magazines had articles titled variations of "Gamers are dead" and basically claiming that most gamers were shut-in misogynists when people had the nerve to point out a case of journalistic malpractice by a female gaming journalist.  In the case of atheism, we had the Atheism+ movement which tried to promote 'social justice' and leftist groupthink, and which led to some conventions refusing to allow certain people from participating because of trivial things, even tweets ( http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016...rd-dawkins.html ).  I have also personally known people in those communities who have had their personal information leaked and reputations destroyed by radical feminists and their sympathizers.  This legacy of intolerance is another reason why some people are angry about the change to Ghostbusters, as they may see it, rightly or wrongly, as toxic third-wave feminism invading yet another thing that they love and enjoy.

I love how people blame 'feminists' for this, even though the director is a guy, and one of the writers is a guy.

Paul Feig is a noted feminist, and guys can certainly be feminists.  He has even tried to get 'equity clauses' in contracts so that films can be casted on the basis or immutable characteristics such as race or sex (to ensure arbitrary standards of 'equity') as opposed to talent or merit.  As he said "I think we need to set these things in stone so it forces everybody to think that way."  With his contempt for anyone who thinks different than him, and his fixation on gender over everything else, he is practically a poster child for third-wave feminism.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I was never going to see this movie in theaters, but was willing to give it a chance on video, perhaps, if turned out to be not as bad as it seems right now. The James Rolfe incident has killed any chances of me seeing this film. I am permanently boycotting this movie.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

retrorobby

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Jun 2 2016 on  07:13 AM
The whole world is gonna boycott this movie.
Well maybe not the whole world but majority of the people will I'm sure.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Paul Feig is a noted feminist, and guys can certainly be feminists. He has even tried to get 'equity clauses' in contracts so that films can be casted on the basis or immutable characteristics such as race or sex (to ensure arbitrary standards of 'equity') as opposed to talent or merit. As he said "I think we need to set these things in stone so it forces everybody to think that way." With his contempt for anyone who thinks different than him, and his fixation on gender over everything else, he is practically a poster child for third-wave feminism.

So one radical sect represents the entire feminist movement?
Honestly, people are crazy. The internet is a hotbed of death threats and misinformation. Gamers send death threats. Feminists send death threats. Old men living in trailers send death threats. Ten-year-olds who just figured out how to lie about their age send death threats. Unfortunately, the people who tend to develop the highest profile and tend to be seen as the representatives of their respective movements are the most belligerent, asinine members of said movements. If this movie is being made, it's because the studio that hired Paul Feig is playing an angle. And if all publicity is good publicity, I'd say it's working.

That being said, I don't intend to see this movie for the simple reason that nothing about it is interesting. I agree that it looks gimmicky and comes across as pandering, though I hardly blame the entire ideology of feminism for the actions of one man who some genius decided to give millions of dollars to in order to make a sub-par film, and the ignorant extremists that have blindly fired death threats in support of him.

EDIT: Just as an aside, I'm not defending radical feminists- death threats are juvenile at best, and horrible regardless of who they come from. My main point is that every group has its radicals, and I really wish that people would quit pigeonholing entire groups into the molds created by these radical sects. Radicals are damaging to the agenda of any group that they come from, be it christians, gamers, muslims, feminists, etc., and any rational members of any one of these groups can tell you that the radicals do not represent them. So lets just all squelch the trolls and protect quality cinema, without background political agendas! Yay!

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So one radical sect represents the entire feminist movement?

I made it quite clear in my post that I was criticizing third-wave feminism and explaining why some people would associate the actions of this film studio and this director as being indicative of another takeover by people of that sect of feminism.  

...but the reactions from some third-wave feminists have been absolutely despicable...

This hypersensitivity and intolerance of outside views from the more extreme parts of the American left wing is one of the things that has made me disassociate with those people.

I have been invoked in both the gaming and atheist communities on YouTube and have seen similar techniques used by inter-sectional feminists in those communities to hijack those movements, silence dissent, and to split those groups.

This legacy of intolerance is another reason why some people are angry about the change to Ghostbusters, as they may see it, rightly or wrongly, as toxic third-wave feminism invading yet another thing that they love and enjoy.

Note how all of the references that I made were to third-wave feminism, inter-sectional feminism, and the extreme left wing.  This is the sect that is most powerful in academia, politics, and which is guiding the conversation in many media outlets.  That is why I focused on them.

Additionally, the reason why I mentioned that specific person was because in your original response to pokeplayer984 you basically wrote off the film having anything to do with feminists because the writer and director were both men.  

I love how people blame 'feminists' for this, even though the director is a guy, and one of the writers is a guy.

That is why I pointed out to you that the director was actually a major third-wave feminist, and thus the connection people were making was not spurious.

I find it quite frustrating that many people associate any criticism of feminism or any group of feminists as being an attack against the entire movement.  Everyone I have ever met, with the exception of a few religious extremists, have been supportive of suffrage and equal rights for women (making them complaint with first-wave feminism) and equal opportunity in the workplace and society at large (making them compliant with second-wave feminism).  It is the quasi-Marxist depiction of women as an oppressed class, and all men as holders of privilege, which is a common feature in third-wave feminism, that most people object to. In failing to see people as individuals, but rather as a class of people, they throw away the backbone of liberal Western society.  This is why many of them have resorted to the suppression of free speech through extreme forms of political correctness and the suppression of meritocracy through the use of gender quotas.  When a group doesn't value the individual, they also don't value individual rights.

Many of the people who protest against feminists online are actually protesting against this particular portion of the feminist movement.  Just like how many people in the Men's Rights Movement are actually arguing for fairness in family law and the reform of alimony laws, which currently are heavily biased against men.  If the modern feminist movement were seen as addressing the issues affecting men as well as women, and seen as being supportive of free speech and meritocracy, then this backlash would not be as large as it is.  Personally I call myself a humanist, as that makes my stand quite clear, whereas if I called myself an MRA or a feminist then it would be more ambiguous.  I want equal legal rights for everyone, and equal opportunity for everyone to succeed or fail on their own merits.

EDIT: Just as an aside, I'm not defending radical feminists- death threats are juvenile at best, and horrible regardless of who they come from. My main point is that every group has its radicals, and I really wish that people would quit pigeonholing entire groups into the molds created by these radical sects. Radicals are damaging to the agenda of any group that they come from, be it christians, gamers, muslims, feminists, etc., and any rational members of any one of these groups can tell you that the radicals do not represent them. So lets just all squelch the trolls and protect quality cinema, without background political agendas! Yay!

I agree wholeheartedly, and thanks for the clarification.

However, for better or worse, the general public often judges entire groups based upon what they are perceived to actually practice.  Currently in the US we have affirmative action in favor of women in academia despite the fact that there have been more women in universities than men for over 30 years ( https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/educat...c9e1_story.html ), we have boys falling behind girls in primary education benchmarks ( http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/0...rm-academically ), we have alimony laws which are outdated, we have family law which strongly favors giving custody to women, we have men who have to sign up for Selective Service but not the women, we have men which are far more likely to die from violence on a per capita basis than women ( http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevent..._key_fact_6.pdf ), and we have men who make up 40% of domestic violence victims ( http://www.thehotline.org/resources/statistics/ and http://www.medicaldaily.com/domestic-viole...ring-it-284682) despite the domestic violence laws and most shelters focusing on women, but yet attempts to address these imbalances are typically derailed by feminist organizations. As long as these organizations continue to be seen as focusing mainly on women's issues as opposed to actually trying to achieve fairness for both sexes, they will probably retain the lukewarm reputations that they have obtained.  As the saying goes, "Change must come from within."

Addendum: I am sorry if I cam across as a bit too aggressive, by the way, I just wanted to indicate why some people have reacted the way that they have, and why some people have issues with feminism as it is practiced by some.  I think we are in agreement about the dangers of extremists in any group, and the relative merits of the trailer to this film.  :yes

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
its not feminism, or liberalism thats to blame for any of this, but rather simply unoriginality. the Lion Guard, for instance, is simply more milking of the 1994 classic by Disney. theres the various iterations of Batman, Superman, etc. Hollywood keeps going back to the same ideas, again and again, due to unoriginality, that and they make money. See any of the various Romeo and Juliets over the decades. I'm most likely not going to see the Ghostbusters remake, not because of any feminist edge, but because it simply doesnt appeal to me.i loved the first 2 Ghostbusters, and played the video game.but rankly i think this was an idea that shouldnt have been green lit. Hollywood green lights a lot of dumb stuff. i honestly dont think this is something folks should get so worked up about. this is a popcorn flick folks, its not Shakespeare or Citizen Kane or the Godfather. Its something that will likely be forgotten once it goes out on DVD.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: