The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Berenstain Bears Hit the Big Screen

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It seems there is NO book out there that is safe from going to the big screen.  After more than 45 years, the well-known book franchise, The Berenstain Bears, is headed to the big screen.

There is currently no writer on board, but it will be directed by Shawn Levy, who also directed the "Night at the Museum" movies.

Here are some links for more info:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/the-beren...big-screen-8439
http://geektyrant.com/2009/11/night-at-the...actioncg-movie/

To be honest, with how big they are, I'm surprised it took them this long to hit the big screen.  I grew up reading the books and watching the TV Series that came on at the time.  I even secretly read the more recent books and found that the authors have done quite well with the difficult subjects they had to tackle when introducing them to kids.  You could say that I'm a fan of the books to this day.

Still, it's finally happened.  I wish Levy the best of luck.  Getting this one right won't be easy.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Why are they doing this? People can only go so far with bringing children's story books to movies. Although after Where The Wild Things Are I wouldn't be surprised if something like Clifford came to theaters.

This sounds an awful like the movie made off of the Country Bears from Disney World. That movie also had bears existing with humans, except they were actors in costumes. Making animated characters for this movie will be interesting.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Nov 6 2009 on  01:57 AM
Why are they doing this? People can only go so far with bringing children's story books to movies. Although after Where The Wild Things Are I wouldn't be surprised if something like Clifford came to theaters.
It did : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398872/ :lol

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I used to watch a couple of episodes of the second series, but that was over 13 years ago. I did a bit of research, and I'm amazed to find, as you said, that there were two more TV series, and that one of them is still going on right now. I also didn't know how OLD the book series was, nor did I know how many of them were made. And now they're making a movie. Dang.  :blink:

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well that movie is at least a cartoon. What I meant was if there was a live action Clifford movie. That would be very unusual in my opinion.

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://youtube.com/BigDealStudios
Quote from: LBTFan13,Nov 5 2009 on  10:57 PM

This sounds an awful like the movie made off of the Country Bears from Disney World. That movie also had bears existing with humans, except they were actors in costumes. Making animated characters for this movie will be interesting.
I can't wait for this either! :)
by the way, there WAS a Clifford movie...

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
If you read my last post then you'll know that I meant a live action movie.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Berenstain Bears might have enough storylines to pull from to make a movie work.  BB is so anthro that it wouldn't be hard to put them in almost any situation.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It also depends on how skilled the writer is at writing and if the director, higher ups are going to try to focus on appealing to all age groups or just young kids only.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've decided to bump this topic since people are asking about it.

So, BUMP!

:add

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I read about this a while ago now, but I have to say, it'll be interesing, I just hope they don't screw it up is all.

I would love to see a movie based on one of the best books around though "Green Eggs and Ham"! Come on, who wouldn't like to see that? :lol:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They'll upset some fans if they don't try to keep the chars and such loyal to the books.  Hollywood makes many mistakes in that way.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Nov 6 2009 on  01:39 AM
It seems there is NO book out there that is safe from going to the big screen.  After more than 45 years, the well-known book franchise, The Berenstain Bears, is headed to the big screen.

There is currently no writer on board, but it will be directed by Shawn Levy, who also directed the "Night at the Museum" movies.

Here are some links for more info:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/the-beren...big-screen-8439
http://geektyrant.com/2009/11/night-at-the...actioncg-movie/

To be honest, with how big they are, I'm surprised it took them this long to hit the big screen.  I grew up reading the books and watching the TV Series that came on at the time.  I even secretly read the more recent books and found that the authors have done quite well with the difficult subjects they had to tackle when introducing them to kids.  You could say that I'm a fan of the books to this day.

Still, it's finally happened.  I wish Levy the best of luck.  Getting this one right won't be easy.
I'm not really surprised that it took this long. Just look at Alvin and the Chipmunks it took them nearly 49 years to make a live action movie.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hehe yeah, I agree with you there, still, nothing is safe from the movie industry! Nothing!

I mean, look at them, they're making a Battleship movie, based on the board game! Apparantly even a Candyland movie! And even....a Monopoly movie! :lol:

However, I am still sitting by my desicion to see a Green Eggs and Ham movie to be made :lol

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would not be surprised if they did make those movies.  I hope though if they do make a movie on the bears they try to involve some folks who have read the books a lot or preferably some who actually worked on the books themselves or a mix of the 2.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Quote from: MrDrake,Jan 27 2010 on  06:13 AM

I mean, look at them, they're making a Battleship movie, based on the board game! Apparantly even a Candyland movie! And even....a Monopoly movie! :lol:

How? Why? Oh, just forget it.

*Slams head against desk*

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I used to read the Berenstein Bears when I was young, until I found The Berenstein Bears and the Big Question, said Question being how the Christian God can make your life better. Being atheist, it kinda turned me off of the series watching Mama Bear teaching Sister how He is always watching over you.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Animeboye,Jan 28 2010 on  06:59 AM

lol yeah, I know, and what's more, from what I read somewhere is that the Battleship movie is going to involve aliens.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: MrDrake,Jan 27 2010 on  02:43 PM
Quote from: Animeboye,Jan 28 2010 on  06:59 AM

lol yeah, I know, and what's more, from what I read somewhere is that the Battleship movie is going to involve aliens.
Ugh!  Drop the "aliens" subject already!  THAT PLOT IS DEAD!!

Seriously, I'd be far more interested if it was something else. :(

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know, I've been trying to figure out what kind of plot they are going to come up with for this movie.  Basically, the director here wants it to be original and different from any of the books that have been written.  However, as I look at all of the books of The Berenstain Bears franchise, I just have to ask, what's left?

I mean, what is there that hasn't been done in the books yet?

Seriously, what's left?