The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Hello there!

Truttle · 44 · 3416

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
If you take the 'r' out of it, that's my mom's last name. Very nice drawing by the way.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 And welcome to the forum!
 It seems that it is not necessary to hope you'll have a great time because it seems you are already having it... that's cool :DD .
 Well, post lots and see you around!

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Oh really? That's interesting to know!  Thanks again everyone!  :!

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
hi hi hi! ^^ welcome to GOF ^^
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hiya, Truttle, and welcome to the GOF :wave!

Your screen name makes me think of one of the Lost Boys from the Peter Pan story.  I think his name was Tootles or somethin' like that.  In the film "Hook", he had lost his bag of marbles as a boy and found them when he was elderly :yes.

Anyhoo, glad ya joined us!  Feel free to stickaround here.  We're a very fun and friendly bunch ;).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I was thinking of the Tootles from Hook too. As Jason can confirm, since finding two glass marbles in 2004 I always carry those with me in my wallet so I never loose all my marbles :lol

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jul 8 2009 on  04:07 AM
I was thinking of the Tootles from Hook too. As Jason can confirm, since finding two glass marbles in 2004 I always carry those with me in my wallet so I never loose all my marbles :lol
Erm...I would like to say I can confirm that statement Malte but in all honesty I have to say I can't fully remember  :lol You sure you didn't take my marbles instead?!  :smile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Gee, I will never understand how people cannot remember chats that occurred a mere five years ago :p
I even showed those marbles to you as it was just a few days before my visit to you.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I thought "turtle" when I first read your screen name :p (though I'm reasonably certain it's pronounced differently).

Again, I love your avatar. Not only does it show great attention to scientific detail, but your Ceratosaurus also has a lot of character. (At least, it looks that way to me. Do you have a bigger picture of it anywhere?) Funnily enough, it looks a lot like my own Ceratosaurus concept for an LBT fanfic I'm working on.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I'm glad people enjoy my name so much.  :lol

And yes, I do have a bigger picture of it. It was a gift drawing I made for DarkHouhoumon and a friend.  :DD

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Great picture.  And quite large too.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow. :blink: That's humongous.

What's going on in the image, exactly? (If you don't mind me asking.)

The Ceratosaurus's expression is great, and I also really like the dromaeosaur. The alimon (that's what it is, isn't it?) seems a bit chromatically overdressed compared to the other two :p (not that I don't appreciate brightly colored dinosaurs), but I love the way you drew the forefeet; they're by far my favorite part (of the alimon, anyway).

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Well in the image, it's one I wanted to do for a while. You see, my character is normally a bear, but in this pic he was changed into a dinosaur, Ceratosaurus being my favorite. The black one is a Troodon named Ebony Patriot and the other one is indeed an Alimon. They're both teasing me because I'm a dinosaur just like them.  :lol  :p

I'm really loving your comments. Thank you for them.  :DD

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Pangaea,Jul 9 2009 on  05:01 AM
The alimon (that's what it is, isn't it?) seems a bit chromatically overdressed compared to the other two :p
I can explain that. The alimons are a fictional race of mine, and at the time of their initial creation, I had a hard time making distinguishable characters of the same species. The only way I could was by coloration and pattern. So the alimons pretty much became multicolored as my means of making each alimon distinguishable, to enable myself and others tell one character from another. I may have a better time nowadays, but I'm so used to the multicolored species that I don't think I could just stop in favor of more realistic coloring. :p

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Truttle,Jul 9 2009 on  11:06 PM
I'm really loving your comments. Thank you for them. :DD
You're welcome. :smile Glad to hear that I'm an good conversationalist. :p

DarkHououmon: While the alimon definitely stands out against the black-and-white Troodon and the muted orange Ceratosaurus, I see no problem with it being so vividly colored. Back when I was regularly drawing dinosaurs, I myself habitually decked them out in rainbow-belittling hues. I don't color my drawings that much anymore, but I love brightly colored artwork, and seeing as saurian color vision probably exceeded that of most mammals (including humans), I say why not color them brightly for the sake of recognizing individuals? ;)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't know how it would be possible to know what colors dinosaurs may have been able to see. Not sure how this is possible with real life animals either. As my dad pointed out, there doesn't seem to be any test to successfully prove what colors an animal, dead or alive, can see and which they could not.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I read that some scientist think they may have a way to tell at least some colors of feathered dinos, though likely it'll take a lot more testing & it may be one of those dead ends that seem promising but later research will show if it leads to anything or is nothing that seems to be something at the start.  They think in involves studying fossil feathers and what appears to be the things that give some color to bird feathers and perhaps mammal hair, things that produce melanin pigment.  Not being a scientist I don't know all the fancy terms.  Though like I mentioned it may lead to what they thing, it may also be one of those dead ends that seems promising but leads nowhere, or maybe only with advanced technology.  Likely a lot of further research is needed.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,380144,00.html

http://www.livescience.com/animals/080708-fossil-color.html

Chomper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
hi i'm chomper and i gotta say i like the picture, its also nice to meet another ceratosaurus fan also :lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Darkhououmon,Jul 10 2009 on  08:50 AM
I don't know how it would be possible to know what colors dinosaurs may have been able to see. Not sure how this is possible with real life animals either. As my dad pointed out, there doesn't seem to be any test to successfully prove what colors an animal, dead or alive, can see and which they could not.
Animal vision and color perception is a subject I am extremely interested in. I can't claim to know the exact methods scientists use to determine what colors an animal can see, but I have little (if any doubt) that there are successful ways of doing so. For instance, let's say you present a monkey with a set of differently colored buttons that would look identical to a colorblind animal, one of which deposits a treat when pressed. If the monkey is capable of distinguishing between the colors, it will quickly learn which button to press if it wants a snack.

Apparently, an animal's ability to perceive color is determined by the types of cone cells in its retina. Humans, for instance, have three different kinds of cones in their eyes, which allow us to see long, short, and medium wavelengths of colored light. Most other mammals have only one or two cone types (dogs, contrary to popular belief, are not completely colorblind). Birds, however, along with many reptiles, have three, four, or even five types of cone cells, allowing them to see a much broader range of wavelengths, including ultraviolet light. The theory is that because mammals spent virtually the entire Mesozoic Era as chiefly nocturnal creatures (for whom good color vision is more or less redundant), they lost most of their cone cell types, and that some of them only "re-evolved" color vision when they inherited the Earth from the non-avian dinosaurs.

One of my college science professors told me about a study involving sparrows (I think) with patches of feathers that reflect ultraviolet light such that they glow when the birds are placed under a UV lamp. The birds apparently live in a hierarchy dictated by the ultraviolet reflectivity of these feathers; the shinier the patches, the higher the bird's rank. When the researchers covered the UV-reflective feathers of high-ranking birds with paint or makeup of some sort, the birds' places in the pecking order dropped. I can't imagine the sparrows were too happy about it, but it's so fascinating (I think so, anyway :p), and somewhat relevant to the subject, that I couldn't help but mention it.

Anyway, because dinosaurs are fundamentally reptiles, and reptiles have good color vision, and birds are believed to be dinosaur descendants, and they have good color vision, there's good reason to believe that dinosaurs had good color vision too.

Holy cheese, how we've wandered from the original subject of this thread! :P: