The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Announcement: No More LBT Karaoke for awhile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,
With the completion of "Things Change", I know there are people who are just waiting for the next song.  Well, I have some bad news for you, I'm afraid:

I will not be doing another LBT Karaoke project in the forseeable future.  I need to focus on more personal, original projects to help build up my portfolio.  As interesting as these LBT projects are, I need to spend time on other things.  An LBT karaoke song takes many, Many hours of work and I really need to be spending this time on other things.

I'm sorry, everyone.  Thank you for understanding.  I will keep you all posted on any original work I complete though!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ehm, just a question... Maybe it is possible that I take over what you have been doing with the singing projects? I know you once told me it is a lot of work, but I have got time enough to learn and maybe do it.

Of course I am a bit unexperienced on this subject, but if others want to sing too, which I think is true, I'd like to give them a chance. I don't like singing solo anyways :) .

If you do not want me to do it it's fine... I can understand. I just want to give it a shot :) .

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Time isn't the only issue.  I believe Sonar was close to $1,000 and I know from experience that FL studios is around $350 for the expensive one.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, money will be a problem. Don't you think it is possible with other programms? I will see.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If all you need to do is put people's singing together with existing music, that can be done with a variety of free programs, including
Multisequence

I love Sonar for mixing but as Landbeforetimelover pointed out, it's not cheap. :p

I've never used Multisequence before but from what I've seen of its features, it should be able to do the job...I hope.

There is another issue though:  All of the background music I sent you are songs that we have already done as a group.  Background music for other LBT songs does not yet exist anywhere.  You will need to either
1) Put our vocals on top of the original songs, which is very possible but the results will be less personalized.
2) Produce your own version of the song, which is what I've been doing.  I produced all of the background music I sent you from scratch, by listening to the original songs and actually re-writing them by ear on my computer.  Vocal removal tools don't work. The only way to really get a good-sounding piece of background music is to make an original one from scratch.  This is what takes all the time and money.  You don't even want to know what all my computer hardware and software costs to let me do that. :lol

Of course, feel free to take on the project on any level you wish. :) I'm just letting you know what I've been doing.  You'll probably want to use the existing original songs, as a project can be completed using a small fraction of the resources.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes probably I don't have the money for those programs. Heh, I will see what I can do.. Any help is welcome... :p I have got the  program blaze media pro 8.0 which i can use for ever and which I know a bit already. I think I will use that program instead of multisequence but I'll try both.

Edit: Hmm Multisequence is also quite a good program. Maybe I will use that one after all.. thanks Action for your permission :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Any help is welcome... 
I'll be as much help as I can. B)

Do you have a program for editting sound files? If not, start here:

Since you will almost certainly need to edit the recordings that people send you (cut off beginning/end blank space, for example, in order to get multiple recordings in sync with each other and make them easier to handle in Multisequence), you will need a program to edit sound files.  Goldwave can do this nicely:
http://www.goldwave.com/release.php

Other tools in Goldwave can also be very useful, depending on the quality of the recordings that others send to you. Noise Reduction in Goldwave has been my best friend more than once.  I'll be happy to help you with this procedure if you ever want to use it.

I couldn't have done these projects without the help of Goldwave.   Here is a shortcut to help you get started:

When you load up a sound file (or make a new one), you can use the mouse to highlight/select a portion of the waveform (a graphical representation of the sound).  Selecting a certain area ia fundamental for sound editting.  Here's how to set up the mouse to easily select areas.  

Under the Window menu of Goldwave, make sure "Classic Control" is checked. You should see a floating window with a bunch of buttons and sliders in it. If you don't, Go under "Tools" and click "Control..."

Under "Options" -> Window..., make sure " "Use left and right mouse button selection method" is Checked. I find this much simpler to use and explain than the default control system.

Once you do this, left-click to place the beginning of the selection.  Right-click to place the end of the selection.  The waveform between these two points will be selected.

Goldwave lets you ZOOM in or out on various parts of the total waveform. In the toolbar at the top, there are 6 ZOOM control buttons (Look for the magnifying glasses). Of those, the most useful are Sel and All. Select a region of the waveform (left/right-click around it) and click the zoom Sel button to zoom in exactly on that selection. Click the All button to zoom out to see the entire waveform. You may want to click Zoom All after recording to make sure you know exactly where your recording starts and stops.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks Tim, I'll play a bit with this programm before really using it. I'll try doing what you have said. For now I am trying to get my laptop on the right speed.. heh :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks Tim, I'll play a bit with this programm before really using it.
No problem!  That's basically how I learned it as well. B)  Always here to answer any questions and I wish you the best! :wow

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Seen it, downloaded it, tried it. Probably I am able to work with these programs. I am going to test myself by using my own singing etc. I will let you guys know when I am ready for starting a project.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Good luck. :)  For your first song, I would pick something that wouldn't be too hard while you're still learning rather than let participants choose what to do.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe practice with just your own singing a single song only.  Then when you feel confident maybe try combining or mixing in a second copy of yourself singing so it sounds like 2 of you.  Then when you feel confident with that then try with asking a friend on the web or in rl who sings, and slowly work your way up from there instead of trying to do a bunch of files of folks singing.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Apr 9 2008 on  02:52 AM
Maybe practice with just your own singing a single song only.  Then when you feel confident maybe try combining or mixing in a second copy of yourself singing so it sounds like 2 of you.  Then when you feel confident with that then try with asking a friend on the web or in rl who sings, and slowly work your way up from there instead of trying to do a bunch of files of folks singing.
That's what I thought:) Probably it would be best to first know the basics heh ^^

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, get to know the basic, practice with them till you are very confident then go to the next stop.  I'm sure some on here can help you if you need help, tips, or other information or help.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Got a problem. I need mp3 codec ( goldwave says LAME is the best one ) my problem: lame has got a virus. so i cant install it. any other sites where i can download mp3codecs?

Yes i have got xp service pack 2. I think I've found the problem by now.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Ya know, I got that same error one time on one of my old computers with xp SP1.  I haven't gotten one of those errors for a long time though now and I've never had to download a mp3 codec.  Are you sure you've got the second service pack for xp?

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
I have also a good program which is called Audacity. Maybe I could help Iris with that. The brother of Marcel(Guido here), has also some experiences in making music projects. ;)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
LAME has no virus.  I've used it for years.  Get the 3.97 recommended release (though I'm guessing 3.98 will be out of beta soon).

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...&package_id=309

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm ok.. It works fine now.. thanks for your help guys. Probably I am first just mixing my own voice, matbe those of my family members. I will anounce it when I start a project on the forum :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like it's going ok and that you have the hang of it.